Become a Patron!

PWM vs DC-DC

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people.

I noticed some mods use PWM, others DC-DC, and even some you can choose between I own.
Now, I understand how PWM works, is there any benefit over DC-DC or vice versa?

Does PWM give longer battery life due to the quick on/off cycles?

I should of asked this question right near the beggining really, but didn't I don't think.

So, anyone who can tell me the merits of ~PWm vs DC-DC would be great.

And thanks to the people that answer my threads. You really do help me understand this more. I see vaping as a hobby, with juice making, coil building and such, and the epic flavour and vapour is the fun bonus you get for doing the previous fun things.

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
okay will give it a shot in simple terms.. your battery operates at a range of 3.6v-4.2v, when your setting calls for voltage below that a circuit must reduce the output to meet your desired amount, when the setting calls for more the same circuit must increase the voltage accordingly.
all of that being said the only real difference that I have observed in regulated mods is frequency, the only true DC-DC is a mechanical mod where you simply connect the battery directly to the coil(s).. if you are regulating the voltage then you are using some form of modulation, the only other method would be to apply a resistance which would greatly reduce battery life. if fire your pulses at some Hz(cycles per second) the pulsing will be outwardly observable, if however, as some mods do, you fire your pulses at kHz(thousands of cycles per second) or MHz(millions of cycles per second) these will be relatively undetectable..
the only difference it can make to the average vaping enthusiast is the rattle snake sound that a low frequency can cause.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Large current spikes are drawn form the battery in any regulated mod to achieve regulation at any output voltage. The difference is on the output side. If and how well it is filtered. Output filtering will of course waste some small amount of per itself.

VU Sponsors