Become a Patron!

Problems with USPS shipping product

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In all fairness, the USPS does a great job 99% of the time. I've mailed out hundreds of packages over the past 20 years and never did have a problem. But I did recently have a package that was shipped to me go astray. It was 'out for delivery' but didn't show up. It was for a certain flavoring. I just called the postmaster and let him know that I couldn't make any more of his favorite eliquid until my package showed up. He delivered it 30 minutes later. :p

(It was delivered to 308 XXX street instead of 308 YYY street.)
Barbara, in your position as a vendor I'm sure you have more experience dealing with sending
packages out than with receiving small packages.
In my experience as a customer USPS gets it wrong addy, late delivery, or lost in space
most of the time.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Barbara, in your position as a vendor I'm sure you have more experience dealing with sending
packages out than with receiving small packages.
In my experience as a customer USPS gets it wrong addy, late delivery, or lost in space
most of the time.

I receive "small packages" a couple of times a week. I would respectfully disagree as USPS not only gets it right but I can recall only a single mishap and that was a vendor's error. I received somebody else's order.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I receive "small packages" a couple of times a week. I would respectfully disagree as USPS not only gets it right but I can recall only a single mishap and that was a vendor's error. I received somebody else's order.
Let's agree to disagree 'cause my experience is the opposite.
In my case only one mishap was due to the vendor shipping to the wrong addy
because somebody hacked them and changed all the addies in their book
by adding one digit to the house numbers.
As I said, another vendor shipped to herself. But I experience problems
with 99% of items received and have to stay on top of USPS
to make sure I get my stuff.
Moreover, as I said elsewhere, my ex girlfriend and her whole family
work at USPS and even they agree it's a joke. From carriers to handlers to
mechanics and postal police, comparatively highly paid civil servant clowns
who don't give a crap about their duties 'cause they have job security.

OTOH, UPS has only delivered somebody else's goods to me once
and that other party and I share surnames and similar addies.

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
My reference in the above post is actually accurate. THe USPS did lose $5B in their last fiscal year. The shocker to me is that the figure represents a two billion dollar improvement over the previous year.

No offense intended...but you should study up before throwing that around.

USPS lost $5billion/year since 2006 because of idiots in Congress mandating that we (USPS) PRE-fund 70 years worth of retirement/health benefits, this is something that NO other agency (Federal or otherwise) has to do. For anybody that does not get that let me explain that to you: We've been prefunding retirement and health benefits for employees that haven't been hired yet...that haven't been BORN yet o_O

You really think CONGRESS cares about USPS workers health/retirements? YEAH RIGHT.
They simply wanted an extra $50,000,000,000 in the US treasury for them to screw around with. As it stands USPS is one of the largest creditors to the USA debt line.

The results of this: In a scramble to cut costs to stop the bleeding routes have been eliminated and broken up and added to other existing routes. Our route sizes have doubled to tripled in total delivery points and we're expected to do it in the same amount of time. Workers in plants that did the package/mail sorting have been excessed to different crafts (IE forced to carry/deliver mail rather than sorting it) and the plants closed. This only further adds to the chaos as the remaining plants get overloaded. So when it comes down the last leg of delivery we have to sort through more, we have to catch more mistakes coming down the pipeline to us.

So if you want to blame somebody...blame Congress for screwing us.
Most letter carriers love their job, and want to do it the right way.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

USPS lost $5billion/year since 2006 because of idiots in Congress mandating that we (USPS) PRE-fund 70 years worth of retirement/health benefits, this is something that NO other agency (Federal or otherwise) has to do. For anybody that does not get that let me explain that to you: We've been prefunding retirement and health benefits for employees that haven't been hired yet...that haven't been BORN yet o_O

You really think CONGRESS cares about USPS workers health/retirements? YEAH RIGHT.
They simply wanted an extra $50,000,000,000 in the US treasury for them to screw around with. As it stands USPS is one of the largest creditors to the USA debt line.

The results of this: In a scramble to cut costs to stop the bleeding routes have been eliminated and broken up and added to other existing routes. Our route sizes have doubled to tripled in total delivery points and we're expected to do it in the same amount of time. Workers in plants that did the package/mail sorting have been excessed to different crafts (IE forced to carry/deliver mail rather than sorting it) and the plants closed. This only further adds to the chaos as the remaining plants get overloaded. So when it comes down the last leg of delivery we have to sort through more, we have to catch more mistakes coming down the pipeline to us.

So if you want to blame somebody...blame Congress for screwing us.
Most letter carriers love their job, and want to do it the right way.

All true and explains the cause of most problems with USPS (and many other gub'min agencies)
I still differ with you on your last sentence. Perhaps most carriers do love their jobs
and do it responsibly where you work...
But in my experience they (carriers and handlers) dislike their job
and the citizens they serve. Maybe they're angry at what congress expects from them
or having to do extra work but it reflects on how I get my mail.

Perhaps this also explains why I'm treated rudely at the station
and have to wait hours to speak to USPS Customer Service on the phone
after arguing with a computer for half an hour.

Could also be why MyUSPS doesn't deliver any of the promises they make to get one to sign up..

Since I don't work for USPS my only interest in this is getting my mail, not defending my employer...
Maybe you can transfer to Miami for me and be my carrier.
I promise to leave you a Christmas bonus and a six pack in the mailbox
every year like I used to do back when my carrier knew my name
and always delivered my mail on time, through rain, sleet or snow with a smile even if the only information
on the envelope was my last name and zip code.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

No offense taken. I've been on forums a while. I previously posted the information regarding their business loss although you have the time frame a little mixed up.

Regarding "studying up," I posted personal experience and I'm quite certain it's accurate without doing any third-party consultation.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No offense taken. I've been on forums a while. I previously posted the information regarding their business loss although you have the time frame a little mixed up.

Regarding "studying up," I posted personal experience and I'm quite certain it's accurate without doing any third-party consultation.
Man, be offended..WTF...I'm offended.
Just put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' up
then get the old AOL "You have mail" sound bite and add the word "vape".

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
All true and explains the cause of most problems with USPS (and many other gub'min agencies)
I still differ with you on your last sentence. Perhaps most carriers do love their jobs
and the citizens they serve. Maybe they're angry at what congress expects from them

Could also be why MyUSPS doesn't deliver any of the promises they make to get one to sign up..

Since I don't work for USPS my only interest in this is getting my mail, not defending my employer...
and always delivered my mail on time, through rain, sleet or snow with a smile even if the only information

Dont get me wrong...I know there a lot of USPS employees that are not worth a damn, or just don't give a damn.
Management has created a toxic work environment and many carriers are apathetic.

Miami...nah, I'm a west coast kind of person. Maybe you could move up to WA where I'm going? I'll gladly deliver your mail, with or without an address lol

Zr0

Member For 4 Years

Time frame? We've been paying that billions per year every year since 2006?
I'm sure your personal experience is true, not arguing that. I'm just tired of hearing how USPS is going broke, or how the decline in first class mail is what caused this. It isn't...

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
Dont get me wrong...I know there a lot of USPS employees that are not worth a damn, or just don't give a damn. There are plenty of us that do however. I just want to point that out.

Management has created a toxic work environment and many carriers are apathetic.

Miami...nah, I'm a west coast kind of person. Maybe you could move up to WA where I'm going? I'll gladly deliver your mail, with or without an address lol

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dont get me wrong...I know there a lot of USPS employees that are not worth a damn, or just don't give a damn.

Agree 100% there.
Man, I'd gladly move to WA but for reasons other than my mail.
If I ever do you can come visit and we'll pass the vapor calumet..:)

Reactions: Zr0

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Time frame? We've been paying that billions per year every year since 2006?
I'm sure your personal experience is true, not arguing that. I'm just tired of hearing how USPS is going broke, or how the decline in first class mail is what caused this. It isn't...
The decline is due to Prez Nixon actions in '70..
By '80 USPS wasn't the old post office we all grew up with and loved.
Most carriers still cared but your supervisors didn't.
Now most of the old carriers have retired or died and it's a whole new ball game.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My mail carrier is fantastic. He even delvers my ProVape orders without requiring me to sign for them, as he knows I'm rarely home during the day...

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My mail carrier is fantastic. He even delvers my ProVape orders without requiring me to sign for them, as he knows I'm rarely home during the day...
My mail carrier now is mostly ok, although my packages have gotten stuffed into a cubbyhole at the post office a few times and forgotten about, not sure who to blame for that. But my mail carrier where I used to live was a full on retard. I lived at 422 xxx street and he would deliver my mail to 422 yyy street, or to a house up the street, I got other people's mail, I got my neighbors mail even though we lived in a semi-detatched and our mailbox was in the front and our neighbors was on the side, with our name clearly written on our mailbox, it was a total nightmare. Once when he delivered a $150 part to a different street, I called the post office and gave them the tracking info because it said delivered, that's when I found out where they delivered it to, so they said that he went back to recover the package but no one was home, I went to the address myself and my package was sitting right out front where the fucking moron LEFT IT!!!

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My mail carrier now is mostly ok, although my packages have gotten stuffed into a cubbyhole at the post office a few times and forgotten about, not sure who to blame for that. But my mail carrier where I used to live was a full on retard. I lived at 422 xxx street and he would deliver my mail to 422 yyy street, or to a house up the street, I got other people's mail, I got my neighbors mail even though we lived in a semi-detatched and our mailbox was in the front and our neighbors was on the side, with our name clearly written on our mailbox, it was a total nightmare. Once when he delivered a $150 part to a different street, I called the post office and gave them the tracking info because it said delivered, that's when I found out where they delivered it to, so they said that he went back to recover the package but no one was home, I went to the address myself and my package was sitting right out front where the fucking moron LEFT IT!!!
sounds about right for my carrier(s)

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
USPS sucks, You know that, I know that, and they know that. I run the shipping for the business I work at, we avoid the post office unless it's going to save us a good $20 (not vape shop, we ship larger boxes), and if it's documents you can be sure it's going UPS/Fedex overnight envelope over USPS if it's important.

But, that's why you pay the extra couple bucks and get the insurance. Even with that you're paying half or possibly even less than you would going UPS/Fedex or any other carrier.

You go with USPS for the price, who wants to pay $8-15 for a $30 order? Naw I'd rather pay the $4-6 for insured USPS, or have the option to wave that and go with the $3-4 uninsured. In the end even UPS/Fedex make mistakes (thankfully as my brother's job is trying to fix/prevent those at UPS), it's just that USPS deals with far more individual items.

They are what they are and complaining gets you nowhere. Personally though I get everything sent to my work, where I run the shipping/receiving and know all our people by name... so no silliness happens :)

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
The decline is due to Prez Nixon actions in '70..
By '80 USPS wasn't the old post office we all grew up with and loved.
Most carriers still cared but your supervisors didn't.
Now most of the old carriers have retired or died and it's a whole new ball game.
You referring to Nixon thinking the National Guard could deliver mail (which failed miserably lol)

We're thankful Nixon did what he did. Before the Postal Reform act every single postal worker in the country qualified for welfare, literally.
And the last big hiring blitz USPS did was about thirty years ago, those carriers are indeed starting to retire. That's also a cause for issues, lots of new carriers learning from old apathetic carriers. Not good. And stupidvisors...yeah they don't give a shit and are a huge problem.

Me personally: I do my best. I bring packages to the door and I bring the damn mail with it as a courtesy. I ring the bell, I knock. No answer I put the package somewhere I think is safe and will be obvious. I leave a 3849 form in the box explaining where. If its not safe, I don't deliver.

And to be fair I don't plan on working for USPS forever. It's just becomes irksome when people think that the financial issues USPS has had are all of it's own making. Almost as irritating as people believing they can tell me what to do because they pay taxes and mistakenly believe they pay my wages :confused:

Last edited:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You referring to Nixon thinking the National Guard could deliver mail (which failed miserably lol)

We're thankful Nixon did what he did. Before the Postal Reform act every single postal worker in the country qualified for welfare, literally.
And the last big hiring blitz USPS did was about thirty years ago, those carriers are indeed starting to retire. That's also a cause for issues, lots of new carriers learning from old apathetic carriers. Not good. And stupidvisors...yeah they don't give a shit and are a huge problem.

Me personally: I do my best. I bring packages to the door and I bring the damn mail with it as a courtesy. I ring the bell, I knock. No answer I put the package somewhere I think is safe and will be obvious. I leave a 3849 form in the box explaining where. If its not safe, I don't deliver.

And to be fair I don't plan on working for USPS forever. It's just becomes irksome when people think that the financial issues USPS has had are all of it's own making. Almost as irritating as people believing they can tell me what to do because they pay taxes and mistakenly believe they pay my wages :confused:

Ah! Almost agree until yer last line. Nah, I can't tell you what to do but I can demand that you do what you're supposed to do, correctly. Why? Because ultimately, as a civil servant (surprising how many carriers don't know or claim this to be untrue)
I am your boss, as I mentioned elsewhere on this thread.
Let's not quibble about the definition of civil servant. As an "independent" but never-the-less BRANCH
of the government, the USPS is mostly staffed by civil servants.
Now, while as an independent agency the USPS receives no tax dollars for it's operations
it does receive subsidies,
from: http://www.politifact.com/georgia/s...-union/postal-service-claim-not-fully-target/
"...Congress does give the Postal Service $100 million a year to compensate the agency for revenue loss by providing, at congressional direction, free mailing privileges to blind people and overseas voters, a congressional report noted. The $100 million is less than 1 percent of the Postal Service’s annual budget."

It's a gub'min agency:
Look, the USPS is an Agency!
from: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/uspsabout.htm

The USPS is created as a government agency under Title 39, Section 101.1 of the United States Code which states, in part:

(a) The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States, authorized by the Constitution, created by Act of Congress, and supported by the people. The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities. The costs of establishing and maintaining the Postal Service shall not be apportioned to impair the overall value of such service to the people.

No, the USPS is a Business!
the Postal Service takes on some several very non-governmental attributes via the powers granted to it under Title 39, Section 401, which include:

• power to sue (and be sued) under its own name;
  • power to adopt, amend and repeal its own regulations;
  • power to "enter into and perform contracts, execute instruments, and determine the character of, and necessity for, its expenditures";
  • power to buy, sell and lease private property; and,
  • power to build, operate, lease and maintain buildings and facilities.
All of which are typical functions and powers of a private business. However, unlike other private businesses, the Postal Service is exempt from paying federal taxes. USPS can borrow money at discounted rates, and can condemn and acquire private property under governmental rights of eminent domain.

The USPS does get some taxpayer support. Around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies.

Under federal law, only the Postal Service can handle or charge postage for handling letters. Despite this virtual monopoly worth some $45 billion a year, the law merely requires the Postal Service to remain "revenue-neutral," neither making a profit or suffering a loss.
------------------------
So, you're a civil servant but I'm not your boss even though your retirement fund is being held afloat by my tax dollars..
http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/
Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually.
Laws that bar any other shipping service from delivering mail and packages directly to residential and business mailboxes.

Tax breaks. The Post Office is exempt from state and local property and real estate taxes, along with other burdens like tolls, vehicle registration fees, and parking tickets. These exemptions save the USPS $2.18 billion per year.

Cheap borrowing. The Postal Service, writes Shapiro, “can borrow from the U.S. Treasury through the Federal Financing Bank, at highly-subsidized interest rates.” It currently borrows the legal limit of $15.2 billion at a rate of 1.2%. Without this access, it would be paying somewhere between $415 million and $490 million per year more in interest.

See man? When us citizens get pissed at y'all losing our correspondence
and/or not delivering our vapemail on time, you're gonna have folks remind you that
USPS works for us even if they're "independent".

As a carrier you make 2 to 3 times as much as a guy working for a messenger service.
You get a pension (if you're lucky...), overtime, doubletime, medical insurance, sick days,
vacation time, and thanks to your union it's damn near impossible to lose your job unless you
steal stuff or beat hell out of your boss.
As an independent business (LOL...) stamps you sell are products
and your delivering the mail is a service. Since I buy stamps and receive your service
that makes me a customer.
The customer is always right...especially considering that in one way or the other
I pay for your over priced stamps and shitty service.

As your BOSS (ROFLMAO) I'm personally glad that you're responsible,
appreciative of your cool job, and that you do your best.

Regards,
Hazy

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lots of words, in the end you're talking about people, or more correctly, human beings. A species full of flaws. It's no surprise that the cheapest option is also the most prone to failure of service. You think I'd pay up to 10X as much to ship something UPS if I could count on the same service with USPS? Hell no, but the world is what it is. Complaining will get you nowhere.

And you forget that all these government subsidies are what allows you to send a post card for less than 50cents. Or what lets you get your vapemail for $3-6 instead of $8-15. You think if UPS could match those prices they wouldn't? Naw they'd steal the business from USPS if it was profitable, it just isn't. In fact there is a program at UPS where they ship it across the country UPS and then pass it off to USPS locally because they can pay USPS less than what it'd cost their local programs to deal with it. And, you think USPS is making bank on that?

Want to hold the individuals in the postal system to higher standards, go ahead. But as far as I'm concerned that's a waste of energy. Be happy you have an option that is far cheaper and honestly quite reliable. It may get there a day or two late, but it almost always gets there.

I will say, if you work in a business where you've never failed a customer, I envy you. I've failed many customers, I feel like crap doing so, but it's often out of my hands. What I do relies on dozens of people, a hiccup at any point can result in a failure of service. Sometimes it's me just dropping the ball, can't say i don't try my best, but it happens, hell sometimes it's the customers fault for not getting back to me in time to even be capable of fulfilling his requirements (yeah get that to me by 8am tomorrow after not responding to e-mails for 3 weeks, when it takes at minimum 2 days to accomplish). With that it's a fallacy to believe the customer is always right, no sometimes they don't know jack shit about what's required to accomplish the task. That's the reason I drink whiskey every night :mad:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lots of words, in the end you're talking about people, or more correctly, human beings. A species full of flaws. It's no surprise that the cheapest option is also the most prone to failure of service. You think I'd pay up to 10X as much to ship something UPS if I could count on the same service with USPS? Hell no, but the world is what it is. Complaining will get you nowhere.

And you forget that all these government subsidies are what allows you to send a post card for less than 50cents. Or what lets you get your vapemail for $3-6 instead of $8-15. You think if UPS could match those prices they wouldn't? Naw they'd steal the business from USPS if it was profitable, it just isn't. In fact there is a program at UPS where they ship it across the country UPS and then pass it off to USPS locally because they can pay USPS less than what it'd cost their local programs to deal with it. And, you think USPS is making bank on that?

Want to hold the individuals in the postal system to higher standards, go ahead. But as far as I'm concerned that's a waste of energy. Be happy you have an option that is far cheaper and honestly quite reliable. It may get there a day or two late, but it almost always gets there.

I will say, if you work in a business where you've never failed a customer, I envy you. I've failed many customers, I feel like crap doing so, but it's often out of my hands. What I do relies on dozens of people, a hiccup at any point can result in a failure of service. Sometimes it's me just dropping the ball, can't say i don't try my best, but it happens, hell sometimes it's the customers fault for not getting back to me in time to even be capable of fulfilling his requirements (yeah get that to me by 8am tomorrow after not responding to e-mails for 3 weeks, when it takes at minimum 2 days to accomplish). With that it's a fallacy to believe the customer is always right, no sometimes they don't know jack shit about what's required to accomplish the task. That's the reason I drink whiskey every night :mad:

Seems like you have lots of words to tell me to grin and bear it.
I work in a business where I'm bonded. If I screw up it costs lots of money
so I have to be bonded in case I screw up.

Yea, shit happens 'cause we're all human but in the case of USPS
shit happens a lot to a lot of people and even if one shells out the money for insurance
the bean counters and little postal Gods put up an argument in order
to avoid being responsible.

Ya know which pup gets the tit? The one that whines and pushes the others away.
My mail isn't free and as long as it isn't I'm gonna bitch about my mail getting lost
and/or delivered to the wrong addy or late.

And yeah, the customer, even if we don't know jack shit is always right as long as
the customer is a customer and the vendor/merchant/service has competition
where the customer can go take their business.

If you wanna get drunk every night and grin and bear USPS
that's your prerogative. If you're drinking whiskey every night
because your customers don't know jack it's likely that you shouldn't
be in business at all and your customers should go where the person they
spend money with is willing to educate them instead of thinking
like an ingrate that their customer is a fool.

And yeah, if it's an important document or valuable item it comes or goes UPS or Fedex.
Not my fault merchants are cheap and ship shit out with the cheapest shittiest carrier

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
Very nice Hazy. Yes I am indeed a civil servant, and proud of that. You do realize that those subsidies only offset the cost of free mailings for the blind and reduced postage for political carpet bombing of mailboxes right? I mean $100 million subsidy compared to the $1.6 billion cost of reduced price mailing for the blind, religious, and political mailings is not exactly a 'win' for USPS.

Yes USPS gets tax breaks, it's a federal service guaranteed to every resident of the united states. Yes it gets exempted from property tax and such (though not state fuel taxes like indicated in the article you linked, we pay at the gas station just like you) Yes we have a monopoly on mailbox use. These things are what helps to keep the overall cost to the residents down.

Yes the USPS borrows money from the fed. It HAS to because of the pre-funding the fed forced on it. Double win for Congress! We have to pay them, and then borrow money from them to pay them and pay interest on it too!

And no...you are not subsidizing my retirement. I'm paying for it, so is USPS. That's what the whole pre-funding deal is about. The only way tax payers would foot the retirement costs is if USPS goes under and dissolves (retirement fund is federal) I do understand we do need to be responsible and prefund the retirement costs now, but the schedule forced on us is obviously overly aggressive and overreaching.

And...you are not my boss. My boss is my Post Master and the guidelines laid out by the ELM and JCAM. They are the ones that can fire me and give me direct orders...not you. So when it comes to work I do it by the book (which includes proper delivery of mail/packages/anything)
If the customer requests something that is improper I do not comply unless it is to reasonably accommodate the person (Which is a rule), like delivering mail to the front door for a physically disabled person. For example if you have a loose dog on your property I will not deliver a package to your door step, no matter how much you demand me to. Reason? Because I can be disciplined for doing so.

I digress, I'm here for vaping not to argue about USPS. Tragically they're intertwined at the delivery level lol
I'm sorry you have a crappy mail man, really I am. And if they are indeed losing/misdelivering your mail and packages then my suggestion would be to call the OIG.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very nice Hazy. Yes I am indeed a civil servant, and proud of that. You do realize that those subsidies only offset the cost of free mailings for the blind and reduced postage for political carpet bombing of mailboxes right? I mean $100 million subsidy compared to the $1.6 billion cost of reduced price mailing for the blind, religious, and political mailings is not exactly a 'win' for USPS.

Yes USPS gets tax breaks, it's a federal service guaranteed to every resident of the united states. Yes it gets exempted from property tax and such (though not state fuel taxes like indicated in the article you linked, we pay at the gas station just like you) Yes we have a monopoly on mailbox use. These things are what helps to keep the overall cost to the residents down.

Yes the USPS borrows money from the fed. It HAS to because of the pre-funding the fed forced on it. Double win for Congress! We have to pay them, and then borrow money from them to pay them and pay interest on it too!

And no...you are not subsidizing my retirement. I'm paying for it, so is USPS. That's what the whole pre-funding deal is about. The only way tax payers would foot the retirement costs is if USPS goes under and dissolves (retirement fund is federal) I do understand we do need to be responsible and prefund the retirement costs now, but the schedule forced on us is obviously overly aggressive and overreaching.

And...you are not my boss. My boss is my Post Master and the guidelines laid out by the ELM and JCAM. They are the ones that can fire me and give me direct orders...not you. So when it comes to work I do it by the book (which includes proper delivery of mail/packages/anything)
If the customer requests something that is improper I do not comply unless it is to reasonably accommodate the person (Which is a rule), like delivering mail to the front door for a physically disabled person. For example if you have a loose dog on your property I will not deliver a package to your door step, no matter how much you demand me to. Reason? Because I can be disciplined for doing so.

I digress, I'm here for vaping not to argue about USPS. Tragically they're intertwined at the delivery level lol
I'm sorry you have a crappy mail man, really I am. And if they are indeed losing/misdelivering your mail and packages then my suggestion would be to call the OIG.

I'm only going to address a couple of issues in what amounts to apologetics for USPS.
As long as taxes subsidize the loans which guarantee your future retirement benefits
which is the case, then my tax dollars are supplying the money until USPS pays off those loans which blah blah.

Yes, I am your boss. That according to the guidelines laid by this and that
I can't give you directions or fire you doesn't mean that you don't work for me
if you understand the legal US definition of civil servant.
While I may not be able to sue you for damages inflicted while performing your
job, I can as a citizen file suit for remedy in you as a civil servant not performing your job
as per the definition of both civil servant and job position.
Remember above re loose dogs, you can be disciplined for not following the rules of engagement.
If you can be disciplined if I contact the OIG because you don't perform your job as per definition
then I am your boss otherwise the OIG can tell me to go fuck myself and you can do your thing.

Now, I understand that you're just here to be a vaper and shoot the shit
but vaping and vapemail go together...so you decided to jump into
a conversation where people are bitching about USPS 'cause you couldn't help yourself
'cause it's your gig man.
So realize that as long as there's vapemail and crappy service people will bitch
and if you're going to be defending USPS you're in for a ride.

You missed the part somewhere above where I mentioned my ex girlfriend
of 4 and a half years was a handler, her dad a carrier, her bro a mechanic,
her mom a postal cop. You missed the part where using the law I helped her get her job
back as a handler rather than a carrier when during 90 day probation she crashed a jeep
but a manager's son did the same and didn't lose his job.

What I'm saying is, "Come on, you're preaching to the choir."
I know USPS, the law, and bullshit quite well.
I'm glad you enjoy your job, bro. I appreciate people who are responsible to their duty.

Vape on! Ω
Hazy

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
Okay, last one and I am truly done with the subject.

I'm only going to address a couple of issues in what amounts to apologetics for USPS.
As long as taxes subsidize the loans which guarantee your future retirement benefits
which is the case, then my tax dollars are supplying the money until USPS pays off those loans which blah blah.
Despite the Postal Service’s debt, its retiree benefit coffers are beyond full. Its pension funds are more than 100% funded, compared with 42% for all federal pension funds and 80% for the average Fortune 1000 pension plan.

Again...your taxes do not pay my retirement. USPS pension and retirement funds holds $340 billion in US treasury bonds! If the USPS was a country it would be the third largest creditor to the USA, right after China and Japan. if we all retired right now $340B is plenty to cover 600,000 postal workers.

Your taxes subsidize the loans USPS was forced to take out due to the insane prefunding in ten years requirement. The sad truth is if USPS was not forced into PAEA then my retirement would still be just as well funded eventually...and USPS would have a $1 billion surplus.

If on the odd chance USPS flounders and dissolves the real estate property value it holds alone would pay the $15 billion debt twice over. Yeah you ain't got to worry about me getting any of your tax dollars.

Yes, I am your boss. That according to the guidelines laid by this and that
I can't give you directions or fire you doesn't mean that you don't work for me
if you understand the legal US definition of civil servant.
While I may not be able to sue you for damages inflicted while performing your
job, I can as a citizen file suit for remedy in you as a civil servant not performing your job
as per the definition of both civil servant and job position.
A civil servant, in the USA, is merely a federal employee that has been appointed on basis of merit and that's all they are (excluding armed forces and such) A cafeteria cook can be a civil servant...it doesn't grant you any extra power over them. Actually it gives you less power over them, civil servants are much better protected from termination than almost anybody in the private sector. Granted if they are not doing their job then you should complain IMHO.

Perhaps less attention to the definition of civil servant and more attention to the definition of "Boss" should be paid here...

Remember above re loose dogs, you can be disciplined for not following the rules of engagement.
If you can be disciplined if I contact the OIG because you don't perform your job as per definition
then I am your boss otherwise the OIG can tell me to go fuck myself and you can do your thing.
Yes, that's what they are there for...but I can only be disciplined if I'm not doing my job by the book. Doesn't make anybody my boss anymore than reporting a cop selling dope down the street to IA makes them the cops boss.

Now, I understand that you're just here to be a vaper and shoot the shit
but vaping and vapemail go together...so you decided to jump into
a conversation where people are bitching about USPS 'cause you couldn't help yourself
'cause it's your gig man.
So realize that as long as there's vapemail and crappy service people will bitch
and if you're going to be defending USPS you're in for a ride.
Yeah it is my gig, and yeah I opened the can of worms and regret it. I do realize that there are legitimate complaints. Hell I griped about the Houston office screwing off an order I placed just a few days ago. I just do not want people to be predisposed to hating a mail carrier just because of their job.

You missed the part somewhere above where I mentioned my ex girlfriend
of 4 and a half years was a handler, her dad a carrier, her bro a mechanic,
her mom a postal cop. You missed the part where using the law I helped her get her job
back as a handler rather than a carrier when during 90 day probation she crashed a jeep
but a manager's son did the same and didn't lose his job.
I didn't miss it, I merely didn't respond to it. Talking to people about their exes is typically not a good thing. Sounds like nepotism runs rampant in your local office, the manager/son combo should NOT be working in the same office. That's flagrantly disregarding the whole 'civil servant' thing, hired on merit not who you know.

Why was she on probation if she was excessed into carrying mail? Or a PSE that voluntarily changed crafts to CCA? Either way good job. Crashing an LLV is grounds for immediate dismissal during probation and even the Union has little it can do in that situation...unless you got a leg up on the stupidvisor...

What I'm saying is, "Come on, you're preaching to the choir."
I know USPS, the law, and bullshit quite well.
And I'm going to venture that the law had little to do with getting her job back, and having family members that are Union Stewards gives me a little bit of insight to that. Probation=no rights to employment, it's called probation for a reason. Having an inside to the managers little family deal is a more likely cause :)

I'm glad you enjoy your job, bro. I appreciate people who are responsible to their duty.

Vape on! Ω
Hazy
Hey thanks I do enjoy my job. I love that people are generally happy to see me, plenty of little old ladies bring me water or leave me gifts at xmas time. And I do feel your anger towards the carriers/clerks who aren't responsible, to the jackasses caught on video throwing packages on porches, to the knuckledraggers that were caught stealing netflix movies or gamefly games out the plants...they make me angry because they make people like me look bad.

On that note: I truly am done with the subject. I broke my cardinal rule of not arguing on the internet, it's tiresome and pointless. I'm out, have a good one!

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, perhaps you didn't understand. I got done with my last post.
I got it that you're defending your gig but that dog don't hunt.
One excuse after another ad nauseam. USPS sucks and most of the postal personnel I've met
are burn out's waiting for their pension. Maybe you're a good guy, maybe you're not.
But the people you work for are the spawn of satan and bureaucracy .
You keep blaming the fact that your employers know jack about logistics and even less about management
on gub'min regulations but the gub'min subsidizes you with my tax money which y'all waste away.

You said you're here 'cause you vape and didn't wanna get into your postal gig yet here you are
in the problems with USPS thread offering up excuses but no suggestions to remedy the problem
or how to go about it other than to call some more excuse making USPS chills.

Starting to look like the USPS is hiring trolls.
Ok, just I put you on ignore, dude. I have enough problems with the
RL PO to be wasting time arguing with a postal chill on VU. First time I have to do that but some people are dense.
later
Vape On and all that...Ω

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Dude, perhaps you didn't understand. I got done with my last post.
I got it that you're defending your gig but that dog don't hunt.
One excuse after another ad nauseam. USPS sucks and most of the postal personnel I've met
are burn out's waiting for their pension.
In your experience and opinion.

Both of our mail carriers are decent people, who do a good job delivering our snail mail and small packages, and the USPS has, so far done a pretty good job on small package delivery, for me. (Let's see if that record persists, today.) Is the USPS (still) a bit bloated and more bureaucratic than is good for it? Probably so. Does it have people who are slackers? Doesn't every business?

The USPS may do a lousy job, and be riddled with terrible employees, at your PO, HazyShades, but that does not mean they all are.

Personally: I chose USPS Priority over UPS or FedEx Ground, when I can. It's less expensive, faster, and the delivery is more reliable, in my neighbourhood.

Reactions: Zr0

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
morse code translation

BEWARE THE ALIEN LIZARD'S GAZE LOOK AWAY THAT YOU NOT FORFEIT YOUR SOUL

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The USPS may do a lousy job, and be riddled with terrible employees

In your experience and opinion.

Both of our mail carriers are decent people, who do a good job delivering our snail mail and small packages, and the USPS has, so far done a pretty good job on small package delivery, for me. (Let's see if that record persists, today.) Is the USPS (still) a bit bloated and more bureaucratic than is good for it? Probably so. Does it have people who are slackers? Doesn't every business?

The USPS may do a lousy job, and be riddled with terrible employees, at your PO, HazyShades, but that does not mean they all are.

Personally: I chose USPS Priority over UPS or FedEx Ground, when I can. It's less expensive, faster, and the delivery is more reliable, in my neighbourhood.
Good for you. That way you can get your social security check on time.
"My experience" as you say is quite the opposite as is that of thousands of people
I've read complain about the terrible pseudo government agency which even though given millions of dollars in tax subsidies
can't make ends meet.
If your experience was common this thread wouldn't exist.
Moreover, as I've mentioned several times, I've had family members who work at USPS
and also know a dozen or so other postal employees who agree with my assessment.
Hell, the last USPS customer service agent as well as the USPS Consumer Affairs agent
I spoke with the last time I had to fight to get a package allegedly delivered but was not, also agree
with me.
I'm glad you and a few other people here get good service but that Sir, is not the experience of most.
Perhaps you'll change your tune in time as you order more vape supplies that get lost in space.
Good luck...

Hazy

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
morse code translation

BEWARE THE ALIEN LIZARD'S GAZE LOOK AWAY THAT YOU NOT FORFEIT YOUR SOUL
Said by a guy who looks like a lizard...
So, why did you go and ruin the riddle for the rest of the boyz and goilz, Matt?
Half a dozen others solved it but kept quiet like good earthlings.
Now I'll have to change it.

Okay, you win a sandwich.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

If I saw you and I was a package handler a letter delivery man or any type of system to hand something to the public I would just go at you with all might to stop your existence at all costs..

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am at times amazed how on a Vaping forum the most popular threads are nothing to do with vaping but have a similar theme.. They just don't fucking matter at all..And or if they do matter to some they get so strung out like a Spun Duckey.. I wonder what this says?
hmmm

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I saw you and I was a package handler a letter delivery man or any type of system to hand something to the public I would just go at you with all might to stop your existence at all costs..

But you do that to everyone regardless of whether they wanna
hand you a pizza or a new mod. You're crazy @MrScaryZ, totally into that blue pill.
Move along, we're coming for ya and we have that jacket you like..

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am at times amazed how on a Vaping forum the most popular threads are nothing to do with vaping but have a similar theme.. They just don't fucking matter at all..And or if they do matter to some they get so strung out like a Spun Duckey.. I wonder what this says?
hmmm
People love Duckeys better than Dickies?

I'm not strung out 'cause I ate the green pill
and I know USPS doesn't deliver the goods.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This place is slowly turning into an ECF clone.
I suppose as more folks get moved on they all discover VU
and come act like they're at ECF...poor children

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha-ha, just walked out to the mailbox...guess.
My wonderful overpaid mail carrier bent the hell out of my popular mechanics.
Damn it, I hate bent up magazines. Reading folded pages is like
putting on a used condom.
But who's to blame out of the thousand of incompetent postal employees
who would do this to me...? Probably my ex goilfiend again...
Nah, it was the carrier , she loves her job so she does it as well as she can..poor thing

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nah, it was the carrier , she loves her job so she does it as well as she can..poor thing
Freaking took 8 fucking days to get a package from EcigX to West Texas WTF... USPS is retarded

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll leave this thread so all of Mr. Zip's groupies can go wait for their mail in peace
with one request. Y'all goto:
https://my.usps.com/mobileWeb/pages/intro/start.action
and click the <sign up> button after you read https://my.usps.com/mobileWeb/pages/intro/terms.action
Then when you're all signed up and feeling good about USPS and how wonderful they are,
order something online...
When it gets shipped and you have a tracking number
see whether you can see your incoming package w/o having to enter a tracking number...

LOL. Here, print this up and worship it and you might see your mail
sxgps1.jpg

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
.. / -.-. .... --- ... . / - --- / -.. . -.-. .. .--. .... . .-. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .--. ..- -... .-.. .. -.-. .-.. -.-- / -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . / -. --- - / . ...- . .-. -.-- --- -. . / .. ... / .- -.. . .--. - / . -. --- ..- --. .... / - --- / -.. --- / .. - / ..-. --- .-. / - .... . -- ... . .-.. ...- . ... .-.-.- / ... --- / .. / ..-. . . .-.. / .- ... / .. ..-. / .. / .- -- / -.. --- .. -. --. / .- / .--. ..- -... .-.. .. -.-. / ... . .-. ...- .. -.-. . --..-- / .... --- .-- . ...- . .-. / -.-- --- ..- / ..-. --- .-. --. --- - / - --- / .- -.. -.. / ... .--. .- -.-. . ... / - --- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -- . ... ... .- --. . .-.-.-

and for all of you morse code unenabled

I chose to decipher your morse code publicly because not everyone is adept enough to do it for themselves. So I feel as if I am doing a public service, however you forgot to add spaces to your message.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.. / -.-. .... --- ... . / - --- / -.. . -.-. .. .--. .... . .-. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .--. ..- -... .-.. .. -.-. .-.. -.-- / -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . / -. --- - / . ...- . .-. -.-- --- -. . / .. ... / .- -.. . .--. - / . -. --- ..- --. .... / - --- / -.. --- / .. - / ..-. --- .-. / - .... . -- ... . .-.. ...- . ... .-.-.- / ... --- / .. / ..-. . . .-.. / .- ... / .. ..-. / .. / .- -- / -.. --- .. -. --. / .- / .--. ..- -... .-.. .. -.-. / ... . .-. ...- .. -.-. . --..-- / .... --- .-- . ...- . .-. / -.-- --- ..- / ..-. --- .-. --. --- - / - --- / .- -.. -.. / ... .--. .- -.-. . ... / - --- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -- . ... ... .- --. . .-.-.-

and for all of you morse code unenabled

I chose to decipher your morse code publicly because not everyone is adept enough to do it for themselves. So I feel as if I am doing a public service, however you forgot to add spaces to your message.

Nah, party pooper. The words are run together on purpose to make the riddle more of a challenge to solve.
Your helpfulness is an insult to the adeptness of your vaping colleagues.
The only reason few people solve the riddle is that they don't give a damn
but anybody could have done it given lots of boredom and enough incentive.
Normally, the folks who solve it and know to keep it to themselves get a prize, 30 ml super excellent
DIY juice in the nicotine strength of their liking.

Your prize since you're so helpful is
a troll who will stalk you and ruin your phun 4ever.

Good luck on the next riddle...

Damn lizard

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Bet it went from Bellingham, WA to Dallas, Texas by way of Opa-Locka, Florida.
Doncha know, it's logistics...
Worse it like was lost for 5 days kinda like someone just pulled to the side of the road and went to sleep.. haha probably did

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Worse it like was lost for 5 days kinda like someone just pulled to the side of the road and went to sleep.. haha probably did
Yea, I'm gonna start carrying my camera with me, see lot's of Mr Zips parked under trees
in my daily travels...

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you know what @HazyShades, I had no issue with you. you dont bother me
, i enjhoyed reading your point of view on many topics but to write an insult to me in chinese in your signature

here i wont hide and play games

FUCK YOU:)

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Gosh, if you take that as an insult you couldn't handle me when I get fired up. That's nothing.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you know what @HazyShades,
FUCK YOU:)

Oh look, you know bad words. Kewel dude.
Could it be you don't get enough dressed up like a lizard...LOL.

Just for that I'll insult you in 17 different languages so you can have something to do since you can't get laid.
Have phun...I love riddles and languages and hate damn lizards worse than I do USPS

Last edited:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you know what @HazyShades, I had no issue with you. you dont bother me
, i enjhoyed reading your point of view on many topics but to write an insult to me in chinese in your signature

here i wont hide and play games

Hey @Mattp169,
Ain't ya gonna translate and post the meaning? LOL..Poor little lizard.
I'm glad you enjoyed my point of view on many topics and all that,
but you need to learn to not ruin people's phun
'cause they might ruin yours.

Waiting on that translation..:)

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea well, some people are"sensssssitive"...LOL.
How's the weather in Hogtown, Bean? Getting cool yet?
Yeah, its in the 70's and 80's during the day, drops to about 60 at night though.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, its in the 70's and 80's during the day, drops to about 60 at night though.
Cool..no pun...
By Christmas you may actually see a little snow on the lawn and your ride in the morn.
The cold there might not seem like much comparatively
but it put me in Shands one night when I forgot to wear a jacket.

Have Phun and stay cool...;)

VU Sponsors