Become a Patron!

Problems mixing the Steamboat RDA with the Fuhattan mech-mod

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all,

So, I get my first dripper put together today. This is also my first mod period. I have the Steamboat, clone of the Tugboat, and the Fuhattan, "not a 1/1 pipebomb," mech.

Anyway, on the ohm reader both give good, constant readings. ~4.2 volts coming from the Sony VTC 5 battery and ~0.5 ohms coming from the dual-coil setup that I and the guy at my local tobacco/vape shop helped me put together (by that I mean he pretty much did all of the work for me while I watched and took notes).

Problem was we had a hard time getting it to fire while shaping/compressing the coils. We adjusted the Fuhattan's contact posts quite a bit and eventually got it to fire somewhat regularly, but every once and a while I still have to mash the fire button a few times before the coils warm. Even then, sometimes it takes longer than it should for a 0.5 ohm build to warm.

This isn't continuous. After the first few times firing it, it's been working mostly fine. It's just that every once and a while it fucks up and doesn't fire until I mash the battery a few times I haven't had the chance to test it on other mod or test the mod with other RDAs. However both read constant on the ohm reader.

Thanks for the help guys.

Toyotaslave

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
On mine the bottom contact keeps backing out. I keep having to take it off and screw that post down. I make it a point to twist the button clockwise when firing and letting up, even fiddling in my hands, just to try an alleviate that. Just make sure everything is secure. Even the post screws on that steamboat. Assuming there isn't a short - bad connections are really about all that can be the culprit. If you have a friend with another mod try the steamboat on there and see what happens. Enjoy the hobby. I have a feeling you will have more mods to play with very soon if you are like most of us here!

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On mine the bottom contact keeps backing out. I keep having to take it off and screw that post down. I make it a point to twist the button clockwise when firing and letting up, even fiddling in my hands, just to try an alleviate that. Just make sure everything is secure. Even the post screws on that steamboat. Assuming there isn't a short - bad connections are really about all that can be the culprit. If you have a friend with another mod try the steamboat on there and see what happens. Enjoy the hobby. I have a feeling you will have more mods to play with very soon if you are like most of us here!

Cool. I'll try that out and see if it works. The guy at the shop said that the next time I come in I should ask one of the other guys who work there (he was the only guy in at the time, and he didn't have a vap on him at the time) if I could try my atty on their mod or vice versa to try and figure out which part was the problem.

As for the short, I doubt it. The atty always reads right at 0.52 on the ohm reader.

Thanks for the help.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the Hattan can be tricky my man, I got one for my wife, she loves it...i hate it lol. the connection pins are picky. Some attys will not make contact, period. You will have to make sure your atty has a firing pin that sticks out a bit. The ones that are flush will not work on hers either.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the Hattan can be tricky my man, I got one for my wife, she loves it...i hate it lol. the connection pins are picky. Some attys will not make contact, period. You will have to make sure your atty has a firing pin that sticks out a bit. The ones that are flush will not work on hers either.

The Steamboat is a flat pin-type. My Fuhattan, at least, did come with a second connection pin for the top cap that was a bit longer that the one that was already in the cap. We did have to do a lot of fiddling to get the Steamboat to fire somewhat regularly. It is mostly working at the moment, and Toyotaslave's advice is alleviating the problem to a degree. I might need another mod/atty (or both ;) )at some point.

I will say, when it does work (which is... 75% of the time) it works like a dream. It fires up, chucks a massive, tasty cloud, and is generally wonderful. Plus the carbon-fiber black and copper mod with the matt-stainless atty looks awesome.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah when its running smooth, its a beast, you should see my doge hooked up on it, holy shit it gets cloudy fast! lol. Keep it Foggy brother, glad its working out for you!

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah when its running smooth, its a beast, you should see my doge hooked up on it, holy shit it gets cloudy fast! lol. Keep it Foggy brother, glad its working out for you!

It sure does. I am so glad I went with the Sonys. Those batteries are beasts. Anyway, it's all a process. I probably won't forget my first set up, but it's not perfect. I doubt anyone's first set up ever is.

I've built a few computers, and the first one was a disaster of mismatched drivers and a few components that just didn't fit my motherboard because I didn't do my research properly. It took me a while to get it working right, and it was awesome when it did. I'm sure this will be the same way with this.

VU Sponsors