pratice torch run failed?

r2beat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
http://imgur.com/a/HVlfy

I "test" torched my polished stainless steel nemesis and brushed stainless steel turtleship clones.

The v3 is a authentic 24k gold. Its for color comparison. It's a little different than the brass v3 by hcigar. Ignore the bottom area. I've had it for a while so the place where I grip it has worn off.

The nemesis I did each piece by piece. I tried doing really fast torching on it. With the turtleship I did the whole mod at the same time so it came out even but not the color I wanted. I think this might be because of it being brushed.

If you look at the locking ring of the turtleship it came out purplish. The locking ring was originally polished and the body was brushed, which came out a dark brown, patinaish copper.

Everything might not make sense because I suck at writing shit this long on my phone.

LONG STORY SHORT
I SUCK AT TORCHING AND I FUCKED UP TWO MODS AND ONE HOUR OF MY LIFE

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
That well and truly sucks!

And it also explains why I use Jwraps to customize my mods if I am so inclined.

Not only would I have screwed up my mods, likely I would have burned my house to the ground as well!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
IDK, I think that brownish-purple color fade looks pretty cool IMHO.
It's different and that's kind of the point eh? :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I "test" torched my polished stainless steel nemesis and brushed stainless steel turtleship clones.

The v3 is a authentic 24k gold. Its for color comparison. It's a little different than the brass v3 by hcigar. Ignore the bottom area. I've had it for a while so the place where I grip it has worn off.

The nemesis I did each piece by piece. I tried doing really fast torching on it. With the turtleship I did the whole mod at the same time so it came out even but not the color I wanted. I think this might be because of it being brushed.

If you look at the locking ring of the turtleship it came out purplish. The locking ring was originally polished and the body was brushed, which came out a dark brown, patinaish copper.

Everything might not make sense because I suck at writing shit this long on my phone.

LONG STORY SHORT
It all depends on the stainless used not just the temperature I have had perfect blues come out on tanks and then I had a brownish one come out but noticed it was not the same grade of stainless thats the bad part.. getting red is the hardest I have yet to perfect that I still torch stuff for fun but with this chinese steel ya never know what grade it is..

r2beat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It all depends on the stainless used not just the temperature I have had perfect blues come out on tanks and then I had a brownish one come out but noticed it was not the same grade of stainless thats the bad part.. getting red is the hardest I have yet to perfect that I still torch stuff for fun but with this chinese steel ya never know what grade it is..
Do you have a picture of red? That sounds and probably looks awesome.

Dchap

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sand them down and try again.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you have a picture of red? That sounds and probably looks awesome.
I can get one a friend uses a oxygen acetylene torch he claims that is the key to red haha I am not so sure I got red a bit one time but have failed every other time but I am not sure of the grade of stainless .. Stainless has become a universale word however the metal itself is quite different hundreds of variants probably thousands I know of atleast a hundred...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sand them down and try again.
well you cant really man because remember if you heat the stainless red hot you are changing the molecular structure of the metal itself so that would be nice but ya cant unless all you are doing is trying to get a slight amber color :)

Dchap

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The torch oxidizes the metal. The layer of oxidation is thin, so the colored layer is vulnerable to scratching. If you do not like the colors or make a mistake, however, it is also easy to sand or buff away the oxidized layer and try again.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The torch oxidizes the metal. The layer of oxidation is thin, so the colored layer is vulnerable to scratching. If you do not like the colors or make a mistake, however, it is also easy to sand or buff away the oxidized layer and try again.
Ummm partially true but if you heat the metal to certain temperatures and it turns X color which I am not an expert on it changes the molecular structure of the metal no sanding will never fix it not can you start again.. I know I have tried many a times

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

LONG STORY SHORT
I like the color I can give you a hint grab a non carnumba based polish preferably renaisanace wax or M2 tech and polish it you will be suprised at how nic eit comes out if you want I will show you some perfect blues I have done :)

Dchap

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just give sanding a shot. This one was sanded and heated again.
51f3b91fcac4bb338e943810dcd2223f.jpg

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just give sanding a shot. This one was sanded and heated again.
51f3b91fcac4bb338e943810dcd2223f.jpg
nice job yeah i really am not the one with the prob I think its the op the tops is really hard by the threads looks gorgeous though :)

r2beat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like the color I can give you a hint grab a non carnumba based polish preferably renaisanace wax or M2 tech and polish it you will be suprised at how nic eit comes out if you want I will show you some perfect blues I have done :)
I just found out that the grade of stainless steel will make an impact on color. Some others have torched a certain mod and no matter how much they torch it, it wont change from the blue color.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just found out that the grade of stainless steel will make an impact on color. Some others have torched a certain mod and no matter how much they torch it, it wont change from the blue color.
Yes I said that on post #5 you have had a epiphany :)

r2beat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes I said that on post #5 you have had a epiphany :)
Would you like to do a scientific experiment? I want to see if the ReoMods forum people were right or not. The lady over there said no matter how long you torch a certain steel it wont change from blue. Torch test your blue one for the community??

VU Sponsors