Become a Patron!

Possible allergens in e-liquid besides PG?

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was wondering if anyone had some info as to if e-liquid has possible food allergens (soy, egg, wheat, nuts, etc.). Im not talking about PG in this forum that has been cover throughly in other threads, just some possible food allergens and extracts that might cause an reaction.

This whole though was brought up by a friend of mine that is allergic to Pistachios. I was vaping a Pistachio mix and wondered if it would still cause a reaction. It is too my knowledge that flavor extracts for the most part come from their plant derivatives i.e. lemonene which is extracted from citrus fruits. It would stand to reason that a person allergic to pistachios would still have a reaction to a pistachio extract in theory. But I'm not sure if allergens are filter out through the extraction process or if they would still be present. Any info is welcomed. I asked TPA directly and I'm still waiting on a response and wonder if the community knows anything about this?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sure, nut flavor eliquids mimic the flavor molecules close enough to cause allergic reactions. If your friend is allergic to Pistachio's chances are he/she is allergic to other nuts. I have a close friend that is allergic to latex and bananas. A banana flavored vape caused her to have to stab herself with an Epipen to stop a histamine allergic reaction. Now I make her eliquids, and she is slowly getting into DIY. A lot of ejuice makers will not disclose the flavors due to a fear of getting ripped off or copied. That's really bad for people with allergies.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I met a guy at the office, who is allergic to VG. However, more common is PG.

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would stand to reason that the extract in the flavoring is from the natural source. If you are allergic to nuts when you eat them, you sure as heck are going to be allergic when you inhale it. Only difference will be that the reaction should occur much faster.

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would have presumed that the majority of flavorings are synthetic molecules mimicking the flavors and lacking the proteins etc. that would trigger common allergies.

Science has failed me. :p

No hoverboard either. :(
We would need the ingredient list for each flavoring to prove or disprove. I doubt there are many food flavorings that are 100% natural or artificial. It's usually a blend of the two. As allergies go, it would be wiser to avoid the flavor all together or DIY and know what you are getting. As for myself, I have to avoid peach flavorings. The reaction is mild but certainly there.
We need somebody from the food industry to chime in.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VG always makes me want to puke, so I do PG exclusively. I don't know if it's allergies, but it's worth mentioning.

VU Sponsors