Become a Patron!

Please Help - What happens when you use coils that are not made for a specific tank?

Hi all ! Happy Saturday! I have 20 coils for the melo 3 tanks(EC 0.5 ohm) and I'm looking for a resource to see what other tanks these coils might fit. It seems they no longer sell the melo 3 tanks. I've done searches for 'coil/tank compatibility' and got nothing.

I don't want to spend all that money to replace coils when I have 20 new ones here. If the threading is the same, what is the worst that can happen? Has anyone just used whatever coils they have? Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate you all

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
"Eleaf EC2 Replacement Coils were specially designed for the Eleaf Melo 4 Sub Ohm Tank but also fit the Lemo 3, Melo 3 Nano, iJust S, iJust 2, iJust 2 Mini, Melo 4, Melo 3, Melo 3 Mini, Melo 2 & Melo, and the Tobeco Mini Super Tanks."

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
"The EC2 Coils are the ameliorated version of the EC Heads by Eleaf. Specially created for the Melo 4 D22 and D25, the EC2 Coils are equally compatible with the range of Clearomisers Melo and Target Pro by Vaporesso. They exist in 3 version: M-0.3, 0.3 and 0.5 ohm"

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
In general, it it installs and doesn't leak, it should work. There are so many that are cross compatible I've lost count.

Melo 4 is slam dunk if that suits you.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If EC w/o the 2, looks like one of these.
1676196921214.png

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone just used whatever coils they have?

Yep. I sometimes build coils simply to build coils. These get put back to use in various differing RDA.

Then, you're asking about all those "drop in" and "assembly" type of coils. I've not been using those for a number of years. I don't for much the same reasoning I don't use Microsoft Windows.

Twenty, nearly thirty years ago now, I saw that proprietary systems were not a "good" idea anymore. You the end user or consumer get screwed by a company to keep buying & using only what they create, good, bad, anything between. You have no choice.

<Very Patently Obvious Jesting In Good Humor & Good Faith, Not An Attempt To Tell Anyone What To Do>
"Come on, take the leap, set yourself free. Run with me and many, many others enjoying making our own coils."</Very Patently Obvious Jesting In Good Humor & Good Faith, Not An Attempt To Tell Anyone What To Do>

There's many about on this forum what can guide you in coil building if you want, when you want. It does offer one more choice. Yes, there's a trade off. You have to learn a bit. Some think it worth the trade. Up to you to decide for yourself.

I rather not worry over "oh my gosh, will coil assembly X work in RDTA F or only RDTA X?" To me, that's a bunch of unneeded, unwanted drama. Keep it open, keep it simple.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Check out this link. Looks Atlantis compatible to me. Just be sure, if you're buying a tank that requires top threads, that the coils you have are threaded on top.

The most recent tank I've bought that uses these coils was an eLeaf iJust S. You might be able to order one from China. The iJust S is a "vape stick" that's pretty nice for the price, battery is 3000mAh plus and the ones I have have held up really well.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
For the OP, those r the original ccells or something, i believe, not the ccell2

If I'm not mistaken, Vaporesso made two different "models" of the original cCell coils - one was an Atlantis compatible that worked in the Vaporesso Target tanks, the other was a totally different style that worked in the Guardian tanks.

I think you are thinking about the model that was Atlantis-compatible. I used a ton of those in Aspire Atlantis and Triton tanks, Tobeco Super Tanks, Geekvape Illusion Minis, and Sigelei X Tanks.

If OP could find a Tobeco Super Tank, that would be great. Those were some very good tanks.

ETA: Looks like ElementVape has both the Tobeco Super Tank and the Aspire Atlantis in stock. I think both of those tanks require top threads, but I'm also thinking that the coils OP has are top-threaded. The original Melo tank used those threads.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I used those ecc coils when vaporesso first came out with them, in a Nautilus. Those BVC coils are the longest run of manuf coils ever lol. Wouldn't surprise me if Vaporesso had a tank that those EC coils fit.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
If I'm not mistaken, Vaporesso made two different "models" of the original cCell coils - one was an Atlantis compatible that worked in the Vaporesso Target tanks, the other was a totally different style that worked in the Guardian tanks.

I think you are thinking about the model that was Atlantis-compatible. I used a ton of those in Aspire Atlantis and Triton tanks, Tobeco Super Tanks, Geekvape Illusion Minis, and Sigelei X Tanks.

If OP could find a Tobeco Super Tank, that would be great. Those were some very good tanks.

ETA: Looks like ElementVape has both the Tobeco Super Tank and the Aspire Atlantis in stock. I think both of those tanks require top threads, but I'm also thinking that the coils OP has are top-threaded. The original Melo tank used those threads.
i have only used ccell2 coils, and i just know those r not they is all. just makin sure that was clear to the OP before he tried em. thanks for breaking it down

OMG, thank you all for information!! I am so blessed to be here! I looked through all the info you gave me and I made a decision. I ordered a new box mod with new tanks. I want something that will last, and although I enjoy the melo3 tank and I have a lot of coils for it, it's time to upgrade. I'll take the loss on the coils. It happens.

So, I have a Geek Vape AEGIS X 200W Starter Kit - Obelisk Edition - Rainbow / Black that arrived yesterday. I already had a Zeus RDA that my spouse built coils for (they have been building coils for 6 years). I have not learned how to build coils myself, and I HATE being dependent on anyone to do stuff for me (which is why I buy coils). I have been called 'ridiculous' because they don't mind making me coils, but I don't like being so uneducated that I'd be without if they didn't make them for me. It's a pride thing.

So, I will swallow my pride, and let them build me coils until I learn how. First lesson is this coming weekend. I'm nervous. LOL!!!

The tank that came with my starter kit is a Geek Vape Obelisk. That leaks like a sieve. From the bottom. Because, of course it does. This just makes me need to learn how to build my own stuff faster. I did the research for the tank/leak issues and I am not alone sadly. Many of these tanks seem to leak from the bottom and replacing o-rings doesn't solve it. I was trying to vape at 60 watts on .19 ohm coil before I took a juice shower.

My Zeus RDA is built at .32 ohms. I vape at 35 watts giving my new mod a really long battery life, nice clouds of vapor and best of all, great flavor. I'm vaping 90/10 vg/pg naked with 10% Queenside added for flavor.

I will say, the Aegis x 200 is, in case of emergency, a great hand held weapon. My god is it heavy! Which is ok. I like it. I can literally brain someone by throwing at their head!

Thank you ALL for helping me. I really appreciate each of you. If you have any insight on the leaky tank, I'm all ears. Have a great week!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'll take the loss on the coils. It happens.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
OMG, thank you all for information!! I am so blessed to be here! I looked through all the info you gave me and I made a decision. I ordered a new box mod with new tanks. I want something that will last, and although I enjoy the melo3 tank and I have a lot of coils for it, it's time to upgrade. I'll take the loss on the coils. It happens.

So, I have a Geek Vape AEGIS X 200W Starter Kit - Obelisk Edition - Rainbow / Black that arrived yesterday. I already had a Zeus RDA that my spouse built coils for (they have been building coils for 6 years). I have not learned how to build coils myself, and I HATE being dependent on anyone to do stuff for me (which is why I buy coils). I have been called 'ridiculous' because they don't mind making me coils, but I don't like being so uneducated that I'd be without if they didn't make them for me. It's a pride thing.

So, I will swallow my pride, and let them build me coils until I learn how. First lesson is this coming weekend. I'm nervous. LOL!!!

The tank that came with my starter kit is a Geek Vape Obelisk. That leaks like a sieve. From the bottom. Because, of course it does. This just makes me need to learn how to build my own stuff faster. I did the research for the tank/leak issues and I am not alone sadly. Many of these tanks seem to leak from the bottom and replacing o-rings doesn't solve it. I was trying to vape at 60 watts on .19 ohm coil before I took a juice shower.

My Zeus RDA is built at .32 ohms. I vape at 35 watts giving my new mod a really long battery life, nice clouds of vapor and best of all, great flavor. I'm vaping 90/10 vg/pg naked with 10% Queenside added for flavor.

I will say, the Aegis x 200 is, in case of emergency, a great hand held weapon. My god is it heavy! Which is ok. I like it. I can literally brain someone by throwing at their head!

Thank you ALL for helping me. I really appreciate each of you. If you have any insight on the leaky tank, I'm all ears. Have a great week!

Hopefully this link will take you to the right place:

Look for a post of mine on that page that talks about how to "burp" a tank. I bet that will help the leaking.

Also, one other thing that I don't think is included in that post - don't refill the juice in a tank and then let it sit unvaped. Hit it at least five to eight times so the vacuum inside the tank gets set. If you refill and just let it sit, it will leak.

When using a new coil, especially a factory coil, it's hard to keep the leaking from happening, because the tank needs to sit for a little while so the coil can absorb enough juice to not burn. You might try just filling the tank halfway on a new coil, so the coil will absorb most of the juice, then when it's time to refill, use the "burp" technique. At that point, once the tank is filled and back together, take five to eight hits right away to set the vacuum.

Good luck!

Oh, by the way, building coils isn't hard. It's more about being careful. Check the resistance on your coil with a regulated mod, when you put everything back together, make sure the coil isn't touching the deck, posts, or cap, and keep the cotton wet. Don't try to run coils with resistance less than 0.1 ohm. There are tons of videos on YouTube that will show you how to build and install. Do some reading on Ohm's Law if you have even an inkling that you might want to use mechanical or semi-mechanical mods. Also, RDAs are easier to build than RTAs. The best of both worlds is called squonking. You use an RDA as your atomizer, but the squonk mod has a bottle inside it that holds up to 10 ml of juice. When more juice is needed, you just press the squonk bottle and the liquid comes into the RDA from the bottom (where the RDA has a squonk pin - a hollowed out 510 pin that will allow juice to pass through it). Don't worry, though. You'll be fine. :)

Last edited:
Hopefully this link will take you to the right place:

Look for a post of mine on that page that talks about how to "burp" a tank. I bet that will help the leaking.

Also, one other thing that I don't think is included in that post - don't refill the juice in a tank and then let it sit unvaped. Hit it at least five to eight times so the vacuum inside the tank gets set. If you refill and just let it sit, it will leak.

When using a new coil, especially a factory coil, it's hard to keep the leaking from happening, because the tank needs to sit for a little while so the coil can absorb enough juice to not burn. You might try just filling the tank halfway on a new coil, so the coil will absorb most of the juice, then when it's time to refill, use the "burp" technique. At that point, once the tank is filled and back together, take five to eight hits right away to set the vacuum.

Good luck!

Oh, by the way, building coils isn't hard. It's more about being careful. Check the resistance on your coil with a regulated mod, when you put everything back together, make sure the coil isn't touching the deck, posts, or cap, and keep the cotton wet. Don't try to run coils with resistance less than 0.1 ohm. There are tons of videos on YouTube that will show you how to build and install. Do some reading on Ohm's Law if you have even an inkling that you might want to use mechanical or semi-mechanical mods. Also, RDAs are easier to build than RTAs. The best of both worlds is called squonking. You use an RDA as your atomizer, but the squonk mod has a bottle inside it that holds up to 10 ml of juice. When more juice is needed, you just press the squonk bottle and the liquid comes into the RDA from the bottom (where the RDA has a squonk pin - a hollowed out 510 pin that will allow juice to pass through it). Don't worry, though. You'll be fine. :)
Thank you! I just burped it. We'll see how it goes. I did gush juice, but I think it's because I didn't screw the bottom on tight enough. This Obelisk is kind of a PITA. It has a child-proof fill area. Jury is out on whether I'm a fan or not. Glad my battery port was covered!

Thanks for the link. The entire thread was awesome!

VU Sponsors