Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Mod Review - The BAT by OBS

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Bat by OBS. The Bat has been on the market for a little while but seems to have gone by the way side a bit. This dual 18650 device has a max wattage of 218 watts, DOES temp control, and has some flashy lights for all you flashy lights fans out there! By today’s standards it looks bare, but it has quickly grown into one of my favorite mods to use this year (and that’s not just because it is new). Let’s dive down and see if this bat can fly! As always, I will see you down at the bottom for my final thoughts.

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Sourcemore for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 OBS Bat Mod
  • 1 USB charging cable
  • 1 Manual

Available in Black, Red, White, and Yellow (seeing blue pop up on some places now though)

PACKAGING
ksX2ugX.jpg

OUT OF BOX
mxTq2ga.jpg

STOCK SHOT
HBWe28s.jpg

FEATURES

The Bat is one of those mods that hits the market, has little flare, but makes up for it with what’s inside. On the surface it is a run of the mill 200watt (218 max) that runs on 2 18650 batteries, however, all of it is well executed. It has some flashy lights on the top and bottom of the screen, has a centered 510 pin, can handle a mm atomizer thanks to a centered 510 pin, and has a solid magnetic battery door. This is all wrapped into an ergonomic, compact mod that feels well built to top it all off.

OPERATION

Right off the jump I had some flashbacks to my early days with a Smok Alien. The display has a very similar look to it, and the menu system is also very similar. As soon as batteries are installed, the Bat powers up with a flashy led sequence and a startup screen. 5 clicks of the fire button will lock and unlock the device. Pressing the fire button and either of the adjustment buttons will allow you to select the preheat level (soft, medium, hard). Beyond these few key combos, it is all within a scrolling menu system which is accessed by 3 clicks of the fire button. Once you get into the menu, you will press up or down to scroll through different sub menus. Long press the fire button to access each and to make selections within. It is all simple to understand and broke down to a basic level. Here is a summary of each.

LIGHT – adjust the led settings or turn them off. Let’s you choose red, blue, green, yellow, purple, cyan, white, colorful, or a strobe effect of all these colors.

MODE – select between wattage or temp control (ti, ni, SS)

PUFFS – Puff counter and reset

SETTINGS – Adjust screen brightness, timeout, perform a reset

POWER – You can power the device off here if you choose to do so. 5 clicks of the fire button will bring the Bat out of the darkness

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

hKtL4ZW.jpg

i6FEzBy.jpg

XIYsV8W.jpg

3GrAkMt.jpg

dHiyFNO.jpg

5ojQ4SN.jpg

qggEyhj.jpg

TSUh6ak.jpg

G125Tp5.jpg

c3fGGsH.jpg

HOW IT VAPES

I will preface this with the face that I hardly ever use temp control. When I first received this, I used it strictly with some sub-ohm tanks I’ve been testing, but I decided I better attempt to use it in TC to give an opinion. Well I’ll be damned if it didn’t perform TC quite smoothly. It had good control of the power output, as well as a nice consistent puff every time. I even ran my tank empty to see if it would taper down. Well guess what? Who has two thumbs and didn’t get a dry hit? THIS GUY! (Pizza Dave has got extra cheese tonight)

FINAL THOUGHTS

This was the first mod I had heard about from OBS. They recently came out with the cube, but I had always considered them a rebuildable atomizer company only. This one surprised me, and maybe that’s why I sat here and geeked out over it for damn near this whole review. It is comfortable in the hand. I love the symmetrical design and love how it performs. There isn’t really much more to ask for in a mod. The leds look nice and can be shut off if they aren’t your thing. It hits solid in wattage mod and performs well in temp control. I don’t have any fancy equipment to tell what it is really doing, but it “feels” like it does everything as intended. One of the only nitpicky cons I can come up with is the battery door alignment. It doesn’t fit totally flush around the edges, so there is a slight lip on the corners. It always looks out of place, but at least it stays on solidly and has just a hair bit of movement left and right. The pros blow the cons out of the water, and this one will get a lot of use by me for quite some time.

THE OVEN TEST

If this device went into the oven, would I go out and get another one? This is an easy yes.

PROS

• Solidly built
  • Simple menu system
  • Works well in wattage mode
  • Works well in TC mode
  • Center 510 pin for the win
  • LEDs are tasteful and BRIGHT
  • Ergonomic design

CONS

• Battery door looks a little bit off when installed, but still solidly held in place.
  • Menu system seems a bit dated by today’s standards
  • I am not seeing anything about firmware upgrade capability

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Sourcemore for sending it my way for review! If you would like to pick one up for yourself, it can be found for an average price of $55-60 bucks. HOWEVER, Sourcemore now has these guys selling for just $41.60, which seems like a steal to me.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors