Become a Patron!

Pioneer4You IPV4 : Unboxing, detailed look and thoughts, and first problems found

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi guys,

I made a new thread for this review of the newly released IPV4, as the main thread seems to be about availability/updates mostly, plus I didn't want it to be buried - please do merge if more appropriate!

I received my Pioneer4You IPV4 this morning. As I'm one of the first to receive it (I got one of only ten units sent to my favourite UK vendor, My ePack), and I've been wanting to get 'in' to YouTube, I thought I should combine these events!

So I made a video. It's long. If you want to see the IPV4 in huge detail, this is the video for you :) If not, I've put in some time links below to jump around, and a text summary as well.

It has a first unboxing, a long detailed look through the menus, a TC test, and also, sadly, some first HW problems that occurred to me live on camera. It's working fine now, but at least one the problems was a little concerning.

Apologies that the video is not quite the professional standard you may be used to from YouTube. I hope future ones will improve!

My TLDR, spoiler summary of what's in the video:
  • The form factor I like, it feels good in the hand while vaping
  • Normal vaping works fine, of course
  • TC works fine, and out of the box - the manual incorrectly states that you must apply a firmware update for TC; you do not, they already installed it.
  • The screen is like a mirror and practically unreadable in sunlight / bright light
  • I hate the UI
  • It has loads of UI weirdness and inconsistencies and just plain stupid design choices
  • It has five memory settings, which is great; but you can't set an arbitrary, non-saved wattage (or Joule) outside of the memory - you can only change watts by editing a memory (unlike the SX Mini M/J)
  • It has no lock feature of any kind - either lock fire, or lock settings; it should do, and the manual tells you how to do it, but it doesn't work - I believe because the TC firmware update has hidden/removed the lock feature. This could be fixed in a future firmware update.
  • I encountered two hardware problems, live on cam:
    • It randomly said "Too hot!" at one point, even though I hadn't even fired it for about five minutes. This persisted for several minutes.
    • I changed batteries twice, and both times the new set of (fully charged, brand new) batteries read only 50% on the battery meter. This went away after I pressed fire once.

Since making the video I have been vaping on it exclusively, and I do want to emphasise that I like vaping on it. It feels good in the hand, I like the clear screen (as long as there's no direct sunlight) and the TC is good, probably better than I'm used to from DNA 40 devices. I do hate interacting with it, but I will get used to that more I'm sure. I was quite excited to get a device with memories, as I've long wanted that. It's spoilt somewhat by the fact that you can only use memory settings, you can't set a random wattage without editing one of your memories. So instead of five usable memories, you basically have four, because you need to reserve the fifth as your 'random' memory, for whenever you want to try a new wattage for some temporary purpose (you don't want to keep changing your memory settings else that defeats the object of having pre-saved settings you can rely on.)

Despite the downsides, and assuming the random HW problems I saw do not re-occur regularly, I think I will enjoy using it. It feels good in the hand, which I was surprised at - it's a better grip than my Smok M80; it's bigger than the iStick but that makes it feel more solid; it's clearly much uglier than my Vapor Flask DNA 40 clone, but because it's not solid metal and curved, it does seem to sit easier in the hand (though I do still love the VF.) And because it has a spring loaded 510, that immediately makes it easier to use day-to-day than my VF clone.

Anyway, it's still day one, who knows how things will pan out. But if you're considering the IPV4, I hope my lengthy discussions will give you some further guide to go on (at least until the professional reviewers take over :p )

YouTube video link:

Pioneer4You IPV4: Unboxing; detailed look and thoughts; TC test; HW problems

Shortcuts to video sections:

Unboxing (just the start of the video!)
Start of using the device
First sign of HW problems
TC vape

Embedded YouTube video:

Last edited:

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great Review M8 thanks I think all the software issues will be solved in a firmware update. its a New product and bound to have some minor issues. even my Sx Mini M class has it's moments lol.

A Great Place To get the iPV4 at good price in The united States. (Less then $100) check here, http://www.ecigaretteempire.com/IPV-4-Box-Mod-pioneer4you-p/ipv4.htm
Will have them in stock on April 30th or May 1st They Have Great customer service and super fast shipping. Bought lots of vaping gear from Him.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i also got one and did a review: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/pioneer4you-ipv4-100w-tc-in-hand-first-looks.75766/ and discuss the misconceptions about this box as vendors are promoting it with "magnetic door", "usb charger", and "passthrough". NOT SO.
Overall i like it... just be aware of what you are getting (albeit at a decent price).
Your right it uses a bb tab to lock the door in place its easy to swap batteries though. the usb is only for data and the charger requires a 9 v charger that doesn't come with it. its better to just charge the batteries in a charging bay

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah and it seems that the 9v charging is only 450mA (per battery). Charging is quoted (in the IPV4 manual - though that's already proved to be incredibly unreliable) as 2A, but if that's even true at all, I think it just means the draw from the mains, and it actually uses less than 1A, sending 450mA to each battery.

My source is a mod making site that lists Yihi's 9V balanced charging board, with specs : http://www.modmaker.co.uk/Mod-Making-Supplies/Charger-Boards/YiHi-9V-Balancing-Charger-Board

Or, equally possible is that the IPV4 manual is wrong on this spec as it is on many others, and the charging is actually a total of 1A (or 900mA).

Either way it's pretty crappy. I was going to get myself the 9V charger when I thought it did 2A per battery, because that'd be awesome. But this is worst of all worlds: it's bad enough having 500mA charging from ubiquitous USB, but getting only 500mA per battery while also requiring you to go out and buy a separate adapter as well, which you can only use for this, makes it close to pointless IMHO.

Last edited:

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
There are several errors in the manual and even on the box (as well as many vendors mistakes)
For instance... the box says charging cable included (it is NOT... only USB for firmware)
The manual says to update software when you get it... it has already been done
The manual mentions a touch sensor... this unit doesnt have one. (do they proof this stuff?)

Do i trust the specs on the charger? Nope. BUT i have tried the one i bought from P4Y for the ipv3 and it does work. With the battery access so easy i will just use my normal bay charger for speed and safety.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are several errors in the manual and even on the box (as well as many vendors mistakes)
For instance... the box says charging cable included (it is NOT... only USB for firmware)
The manual says to update software when you get it... it has already been done
The manual mentions a touch sensor... this unit doesnt have one. (do they proof this stuff?)

Do i trust the specs on the charger? Nope. BUT i have tried the one i bought from P4Y for the ipv3 and it does work. With the battery access so easy i will just use my normal bay charger for speed and safety.
Now that you have your new IPV4 how does it vape? Have you tried a nickel build using temp control?
I ordered a 5 pack of the Ni200 coils for my Atlantis... Plan to check out TC for myself...Both the mod and coils should arrive here by this time next week...

from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah I think the charger is just any generic 9V charger which provides at least 2A (1A might be enough.) Can you see from your IPV3 charger what its specs are? It should be printed somewhere on the brick - it's 9V obviously, but what's the max amps?

I think a big part of the problem was the huge delays that happened. They were originally planning to release the mod end of March - the UK vendor where I bought it, MyEpack, had a notice during March saying "Users can upgrade the firmware to add TC; the firmware will be available April 1st." Then when I contacted that vendor in early April, I was told they had delayed the launch in order to "pre-install the firmware."

I think that "pre-install" was more an excuse - they had delays for other reasons, and so they took the chance to pre-install the firmware; rather than the delay being because of pre-installation. Because the delay went on nearly a whole further month.

Anyway, they must have printed the manual a month or two ago, before the TC firmware was released, and then not re-printed it when it became out of date.

Which on the one hand is understandable, and on the other is completely unacceptable. How many people are going to get the mod and be thoroughly confused by that? Not to mention the fact that it also says you can Lock/Unlock it with holding +/1 for 5, which doesn't work at all - I believe because that feature was accidentally blocked by the installation of TC (which uses a hold on +/- for Set Resistance.)

It's just a shame that it's all so unprofessional. I know it's a (relatively) cheap device. But it's still $100 list price, and they expect to sell tens of thousands I'm sure. There's surely enough money there to make sure basic stuff like the manual is done right.

It's a sign, I believe, that although vaping is massively exploding in popularity and product range, we're still in relatively early days - it's not all polished and professional yet, even for so-called big products (just look at the problems with the early Evolv DNA 40s!)

It's improving all the time of course. So as long as the vapocalypse doesn't kill the market :)

Last edited:

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Now that you have your new IPV4 how does it vape? Have you tried a nickel build using temp control?
I ordered a 5 pack of the Ni200 coils for my Atlantis... Plan to check out TC for myself...Both the mod and coils should arrive here by this time next week...

It vapes very well, and TC works great. Preferable to DNA 40, based on my early first impressions. Check out my OP, there's a quick link to my cotton burn test TC vape.

One annoyance with TC is that it doesn't show the live temperature of the vape, only the configured temperature. So you can't see if, on setting 450F, it's actually thinking it's at 300F or whatever. That's different to both the DNA 40, and the Yihi SX Mini M, and it's a shame. Especially because some RTAs need much lower temp settings (e.g. Kayfun, Squape), and seeing the temp that the mod thinks it's at helps you set the right temp to use for a given device/build. But not the end of the world.

Set Resistance is very useful - and I like the three digit ohms display that that gives you!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your OP is rather long and lengthy to read on my cell phone, but you said TC does work and that's good enough for me... thx

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here's a guy that said his worked for about 5 minutes, then quit detecting atomizers. So he took it apart to see if he could see anything obvious. Pretty good inside look for anyone interested.

http://imgur.com/rd2T8dH,w8Mh91R,oDg7fwF,JqleMcn,qZDQxKp,bT4pOx9,4aEZ8Ct,68diNQy,tFYwuWW#0

Oh yeah, thanks! That's really interesting to see inside so soon after release.

Where did you see that? Is there any commentary, or followup? Like did he discover what was wrong and has he fixed it? I'm afraid I really can't tell from the photos as to whether anything is obviously amiss.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah, thanks! That's really interesting to see inside so soon after release.

Where did you see that? Is there any commentary, or followup? Like did he discover what was wrong and has he fixed it? I'm afraid I really can't tell from the photos as to whether anything is obviously amiss.
I don't think he found out what the problem is. You can read his comments here if you can weed through the chaff http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/34ct3t/ipv4_tear_down/

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
$_57.JPG

Ebay Item # 121637673242

Has IPV4 In stock Not A Pre-Order Ships Priority too.

Last edited:

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How did a random Ebay seller manage to get stock before the large preorder suppliers?

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Last edited:

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It still makes no sense that some distributors are receiving massive shipments of devices before preorder retailers are though.

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I have a sneaking suspicion you may be "This guy".

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
haha nope I do know him talked with him and I'm doing him a favor. he's a disturbitor he gets his stuff first and then it goes out to other smaller disturbitors eg, down the food chain.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Reading this makes me happier with my SX. I really wanted the dual batteries and I love my ivp3 so I was seriously considering it. I just thought the SX would have been better out of the gate. I am sure the ivp4 will get everything corrected. When they do I will seriously think of getting it. The single battery is my only bitch with the SX

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reading this makes me happier with my SX. I really wanted the dual batteries and I love my ivp3 so I was seriously considering it. I just thought the SX would have been better out of the gate. I am sure the ivp4 will get everything corrected. When they do I will seriously think of getting it. The single battery is my only bitch with the SX
no its not get the sx mini battery tube extender and run it with two 18650's then it will be capable of 120 watts lol

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
no its not get the sx mini battery tube extender and run it with two 18650's then it will be capable of 120 watts lol
That looks like nothing I want lololol. I'm excited to see the ivp4 upgraded but for now I am very curious on the temp vape quality.

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
That looks like nothing I want lololol. I'm excited to see the ivp4 upgraded but for now I am very curious on the temp vape quality.

Not a fan of the battleaxe? Haha.

I'm kicking myself for not getting one before Varitube went OOS. Not that I would use it all the time, but it would be fun to play with. Especially after the next firmware update, I guess they are bumping it up to 150W in power mode.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Connection's...
Thanks for the info on another post you did on those new lg 3200 mah 10 amp batteries got several sets and they are awesome. The new samsung 30q just dropped and they are a 15 amp 3000mah just ordered a set.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have both and can atest that it vapes in almost the same fashoin as my sx mini m class. both are max 50 joules and same temp setting limits. either way both are better then my vs rdna40. the extra power helps.
The Sx tube extender would be good for long driving trips or whatever I wouldn't use it all the time ,but it would make changing batteries easier thats my only grip with sx mini m class.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
in the link I posted, He used his mutation x and it was fine. Put his Lemo on it and it wouldn't fire. thats all I know
i wonder if he was trying fire kanthal in joules mode that may cause atomizer reading issues hmm who knows

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i wonder if he was trying fire kanthal in joules mode that may cause atomizer reading issues hmm who knows

I fired a K coil in J mode a couple of times, and it just fires it normally . Definitely didn't show any atomizer read issues or anything.

I think that guy must have a genuine HW fault - loose wire or something.

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A quick update regarding some new bugs/issues I've found (or been made aware of):
  1. Not a new issue, but new data: Screen brightness continues to be this mod's major, serious problem
    1. I could not read the screen at all while in my car today at about 3pm, or any time I was walking around the shops between 1pm and 3.30pm
    2. I would say this mod is currently useless if you need to use it anywhere where there's bright light or sunshine.
    3. It's fine if you already have the right setting in and don't need to see the screen, but if you press a button accidentally or need to change modes, you could be in trouble.
  2. In Joules mode, it's impossible to save your Joules settings in memory. You can use the presets 10-50J, and you can adjust a figure, but that adjusted figure will not be saved to the memory and so will be lost if you then switch to another memory.
    1. If you need to use a J figure other than the 5 presets, you must remember not to press the Plus key after you adjust to it.
    2. The adjusted figure will persist as you swap back and forth between Joules and Power modes, but it will be lost if you shut down the device or remove the batteries.
  3. Power mode memories lost/duplicated: Several times now I've found memories seem to duplicate themselves; e.g. I'll suddenly find that both M1 and M2 contain 40W, even though I am sure that before only M2 was 40W.
    1. I haven't yet worked out exactly when this happens, so I can't duplicate it and record the exact circumstances
    2. But it's happened to me three times now - including once in the video; towards the end I remark "why's that memory 60W? I don't remember putting that in there", and indeed I hadn't. It had copied across from another memory for some reason.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How do i set joules mode on the IPV4? can I set it with a kanthel build ? I push the two buttons and all I get is a resistance read..
Any ideas??
b95974b33eccfe5bd65dbd650dd3ef72.jpg
b6d05238f3792b35b6de31bc58a6bd9d.jpg

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Didn't watch my review, then? :) I show all this in a lot of detail if you need any further help, but here's the quick summary:

• Tap fire five times to get into the menu
  • When it shows "SYSTEM ON", press fire one more time and it will show "MODE POWER".
    • Now press + or - and that will change to "MODE JOULES".
  • Now press fire again to scroll through the TC settings - Celcius or Fahrenheit, followed by Temp setting. Change those to taste.
  • Then tap fire until it says "EXIT" and then press + to exit the menu.
Basically it's fire five times to open the menu, then fire once to scroll through menu options, then +/- to change those menu options. Exit the menu by going to the menu option "EXIT". And you can turn the device off completely with the "SYSTEM" menu option (the first one.)

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
5 clicks into the menu, then click until you get to the mode, set it from power to joules.

Temp limiting/control doesn't work with kanthal.

I don't know what will happen if you use kanthal with joules mode, it probably won't hurt anythjng..ahh nvm TheBloke ninja'd me.

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And you can do it with a Kanthal build, but it's not recommended - on the Yihi SX Mini M it can cause a buzzing sound if you fire Kanthal in Joules mode. I haven't tested if that happens on the IPV4.

Oh and as you already discovered, you should hold + and - to set resistance before firing in J mode.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Didn't watch my review, then? :) I show all this in a lot of detail if you need any further help, but here's the quick summary:

• Tap fire five times to get into the menu
  • When it shows "SYSTEM ON", press fire one more time and it will show "MODE POWER".
    • Now press + or - and that will change to "MODE JOULES".
  • Now press fire again to scroll through the TC settings - Celcius or Fahrenheit, followed by Temp setting. Change those to taste.
  • Then tap fire until it says "EXIT" and then press + to exit the menu.
Basically it's fire five times to open the menu, then fire once to scroll through menu options, then +/- to change those menu options. Exit the menu by going to the menu option "EXIT". And you can turn the device off completely with the "SYSTEM" menu option (the first one.)
Very cool!! It actually works!
Thanks again Bloke, I wouldn't have never figured it out, lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And you can do it with a Kanthal build, but it's not recommended - on the Yihi SX Mini M it can cause a buzzing sound if you fire Kanthal in Joules mode. I haven't tested if that happens on the IPV4.

Oh and as you already discovered, you should hold + and - to set resistance before firing in J mode.
I tried kanthel in joules mode for one quick hit just to check if it would fire..it did, didn't make a sound but I went back to watts mode.. So far I'm really liking this mod!

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
By the pictures I see it has a balance charger :) unlike the 3

Yeah it's a 9v balanced charging board. There's some doubt as to how powerful that is. The Yihi 9v balanced charging board only sends 450mA to each battery (source: a couple of mod making sites that are listing the Yihi 9v charging board as a component mod makers can buy.)

But in the IPV4 manual it says 9v/2A charging - suggesting 1A per battery.

Of course, the IPV4 manual is wrong in many important details. So that might be wrong too.

I am planning to do a test soon, using a 9v/2a DC charger to charge empty batteries in the IPV4 and timing that against my external EFest Luc4 charger configured to 1A. I'll report back when I've had a chance to do that.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have used the charger i bought from P4Y with my ipv3 and it does charge and you can do passthrough although i don't recommend using it for either esp since the batteries are so easy to access and swap out.

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What spec is that charger you have for the IPV3? Is it 1A or 2A? It should say on the charging brick somewhere.

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have used the charger i bought from P4Y with my ipv3 and it does charge and you can do passthrough although i don't recommend using it for either esp since the batteries are so easy to access and swap out.

Can you vape on the IPV4 without batteries in it, just the DC 9V plugged in?

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
havent tried it without batteries.
and the specs ar 9volt 2amp.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What spec is that charger you have for the IPV3? Is it 1A or 2A? It should say on the charging brick somewhere.
Found this charger gonna order hopefully it works.
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-2A-DC-3-5mm-US-Plug-Power-Supply-Adapter-Converter-Chager-for-Tablet-PC-/200796224553?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec0633c29
$T2eC16ZHJGoE9nuQgji-BQC2vtOpuQ~~60_12.JPG

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well now you mom cat and Danimal40 have watched your video. I see that the settings with + and - are done the same as the ipv mini v2. I like that format for adjusting with - and scrolling with +.
I won't have a problem with screen since I set presets to my build and never change it outside.
As for Joules I think they did that so you know without any doubts your in temp mode.
Great job on video Bloke

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have delved into the dungeons of the unknown! Or rather, I've taken the cover off.

I heard that the screen brightness issue wasn't so much that it wasn't bright, as that it was covered by a stupid mirror. And it is.

Normal brightness - I have a bright desk lamp shining near it. (This is not nearly as bad as it is in sunlight)

Same situation, with the mirror cover removed - wow, a screen!

The offending mirror cover side by side with the mod; you can see my hand reflected in it.

Of course the big problem here is that the mod looks like crap without that cover on it - and it's all kinds of exposed to the elements, and juice, and raccoons, and so on.

But I believe it is possible to remove that mirror finish from the cover, perhaps with sandpaper? Not attempted anything like that myself before, am going to investigate.

Gratuitous inside-mod shots to follow in next post..

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I only had my cell phone camera to hand, so sorry for inability to macro too well. As you can imagine I'm not willing to dismantle any further than this, but there's a fairly good overview of the basic components.

Not necessarily any more information than we already saw from Reddit, but there's a few different angles and different close ups.

Overall shot

510 area; top of batteries; DC charging board (make still unknown, no brand name visible.)

Front of mod - Yihi board ID; screen protector in place; being removed; removed

Top and bottom of battery bay

VU Sponsors