Become a Patron!

Picking out a mech mod

DerpyVaping

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I currently have a sigelei 150w, wonderful box mod. I've been messing with buliding coils and getting more knowledge by the day. I started to want to get a mech mod, just for the looks. I understand I might not really need a mech mod due to the 150watts that the sigelei puts out, but i would still like one.

I been looking at The Rig Mod and Tugboat.

What mod's do you like? Love? Use daily? hits harder?

I would like any recommendations that could use efest 18650 batteries .

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nemi's have alot of threaded parts. Therefore they need a fair amount of maintenence and cleaning to stay running efficiently.
How do I know, Im using one right now. It needs deep cleaned and disassembled ever week or two, IMO.
Also, I bought a cheaper nemesis clone and my switch was crunchy, the threads sucked, and the switch spring was awful.
Its great now, after alot of sanding and work. Not a mech Id recommend to anyone who doesnt want to spend time making it better.

Ive heard great reviews about the 4nines and Id recommend any mod with a solid tube vs threaded section tube. Copper is also a plus, whether or not you like the looks, they do hit harder.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If i were to order a new mech mod right this second, it would be the new Beyond Vape Arthas. It's authentic, its got a coated magnetic switch, and it's only $75. You're gonna get a ton of opinions, personally i buy authentic and a full copper authentic mod from a highly reputable company for under $100 is well worth it. Regardless, if you're into building coils, start trying to find a build who's performance you like when firing around 4 volts (3.8-4v). Once you find a build you like at that voltage, it will perform almost identically on a mechanical, and this will save you a lotta time and frustration. When my Sigelei worked properly i would often use it to suss out what builds to put on my mechanicals, by using it to simulate the voltage produced by a mech. There will be some voltage drop on a mech mod, but even the crappiest mech will pump out at least 3.7v on a fully charged battery. Of course ohms law and amperage come into play on a mechanical. Right now for me, i think the Arthas is the nicest, most affordable authentic mech out there, so that's my vote. Long story....not so short haha. Good luck on your quest!!
http://www.beyondvape.com/store/mec.../beyond-vape-arthas-copper-18650-p-2161.html2

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Id personally rather spend 20-30 dollars and do the detail work myself. It is true, you get what you pay for.

I'd suggest a copper mod, less voltage drop which causes it to hit harder and the batteries last longer. My favorite is a copper manhattan clone.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll throw the FUhattan into the ring. It's under $50 in most places, it's a solid copper tube, though it usually has some form of carbon fiber wrap over the main tube. The button has some hella strong magnets to keep it from firing in your coat pocket. Mine has also taken a ton of abuse (It's fallen out of my jacket onto asphalt more times than I like to think about) and kept hitting like the day I bought it. Now, like any other mech, you'll have to strip it down and clean all of the threading and switches to keep it hitting right and to keep the button from getting warm.

Also, before you buy, make sure you understand ohms law. You need to stay safe and mechs are unforgiving. They're reliable as a brick and dumb as one. No matter what you put on them they'll complete a circuit even if that circuit is a dead short.

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SMPL is my favorite - my daily carry is my SMPL and whatever else. Been looking at the Calvert next, for the cool switch and 20x1 threading.

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a Nemesis clone as my daily driver for about 6 months before going to regulated - I now use a Sig 100 box at home, my trusty Nemi on job sites, and a Stingray X when going out for the evening, as I appreciate the smaller, pocket-friendly aspects of a tube mech. The Nemi is hard to beat when it comes to durable (I've had over 10 other clone mechs to test against), but mine is steel and copper is much more conductive (read: harder hitting), though also more fragile.

I like mechs with a locking feature because I carry them around with me, others prefer no locking function either because they keep them out all the time or have faith one will never accidentally fire in a pocket or purse. What camp do you fall in? That will help people looking to give honest recommendations quite a bit...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Because of the single piece tube and the direct atty/battery contact the SMPL provides very little voltage drop even in stainless steel. Super easy to setup and the simplicity provides great performance and reliability. You can get great quality clones in brass, copper and stainless for under $20 each. There are spring and magnet switch versions. If your atty has a protruding positive pin, consider a SMPL. Happy hunting.

VU Sponsors