Become a Patron!

Pedantic vape store

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to a vape shop today. It enjoys a good reputation as a serious vape shop that offers a lot of choice in hardware and juices, good service, and whose staff is technically competent. I specifically went there because they carry mods and accessories from a certain modmaker I happen to like - whose name I shall not name.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello. I know you have gear from XXX. I need a magnet for one of his mods.

Clerk: Oh, we don't sell stuff from that guy no more.

Me: Really? Why?

Clerk: The guy's an idiot. He makes serious vapers look like amateurs.

Me: Uh? How so?

Clerk (soon joined by the store owner): Well, he sells very expensive custom-made mech mods, and advises beginners to use tanks with pre-built coils. Imagine that!

Me: Er... Okay. So, what's the problem? If the resistance is correct, it'll work fine. Not everybody's into rebuilding, and he'll sell more mods that way.

Store owner: Oh come on... *PRE-BUILT* coils on a mech? How serious does that look eh? There are plenty of really nice regulated mods for those who want to run pre-built coils. But real vapers do their own build on a mech - especially on an expensive mech. When this guy posts that sort of advice on his site, it makes us true vapers look like morons. So we quit selling his stuff. We don't want our store's good name associated with that sort of BS.

Me: ........

I was left totally flabbergasted. What a bunch pretentious jackasses. That's one store I won't patronize again unless I absolutely have to.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to a vape shop today. It enjoys a good reputation as a serious vape shop that offers a lot of choice in hardware and juices, good service, and whose staff is technically competent. I specifically went there because they carry mods and accessories from a certain modmaker I happen to like - whose name I shall not name.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello. I know you have gear from XXX. I need a magnet for one of his mods.

Clerk: Oh, we don't sell stuff from that guy no more.

Me: Really? Why?

Clerk: The guy's an idiot. He makes serious vapers look like amateurs.

Me: Uh? How so?

Clerk (soon joined by the store owner): Well, he sells very expensive custom-made mech mods, and advises beginners to use tanks with pre-built coils. Imagine that!

Me: Er... Okay. So, what's the problem? If the resistance is correct, it'll work fine. Not everybody's into rebuilding, and he'll sell more mods that way.

Store owner: Oh come on... *PRE-BUILT* coils on a mech? How serious does that look eh? There are plenty of really nice regulated mods for those who want to run pre-built coils. But real vapers do their own build on a mech - especially on an expensive mech. When this guy posts that sort of advice on his site, it makes us true vapers look like morons. So we quit selling his stuff. We don't want our store's good name associated with that sort of BS.

Me: ........

I was left totally flabbergasted. What a bunch pretentious jackasses. That's one store I won't patronize again unless I absolutely have to.
The store owner's delivery was seriously flawed, but I feel like his message was, unfortunately, valid. Pre-built coils in sub-ohm tanks can be bad... shorted... dropping a coil that's not been tested into a tank and attaching it to a mech is a gamble, albeit a minimal one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, just to be clear, the modmaker does advise his customers to check the resistance before use, and the store knows this. That bit is a normal part of owning a mech. The store takes issue with using a mech without having to sweat the build, because it's too easy and "real" vapers should earn the right to use a mech or something.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im thinking as with any coil you would test it for even glow and ohms reading...thats soley on the vaper regardless of who wrapped the coil around a screwdriver or jig....i bought a few pre builts while i was waiting for some wire to make my own and they worked just fine.

That shop needs to stop thinking they are the shit because they can wrap their own coils and somehow that makes them elite vape pros...Sad they are missing sales on a probably a great mod.

Anyone want to send me some "Pre-built" Alien claptons..hell, i use them on any of my mech mods as long as they arent lower than .20 ohms. :)

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OR, What the shop was meaning was anyone using prebuilt coils probably doesnt have any business with a mech as they cant even build a coil.

But the package said they were .40 ohms coils why did the 20 amp batteries vent? (Ohms out at .10 but they dont know any better.)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thing with prebuilt coils is the way the leads are trapped with the rubber grommet and center pin the insulator could pinch thru or melt a bit causing the coil to short out and perhaps giving a nasty surprise on a mech.

Safety advise.
If your mech will not fire do NOT just keep trying it as it may be shorted and working on thermal runaway.
Figure out what is wrong with it.
If you cannot figure out what is wrong then you have no business with a mech in the first place.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another thing with prebuilt coils is the way the leads are trapped with the rubber grommet and center pin the insulator could pinch thru or melt a bit causing the coil to short out and perhaps giving a nasty surprise on a mech.

Safety advise.
If your mech will not fire do NOT just keep trying it as it may be shorted and working on thermal runaway.
Figure out what is wrong with it.
If you cannot figure out what is wrong then you have no business with a mech in the first place.
Im confused about the term pre built coils i guess...isnt that any coil pre wrapped and sold to be installed by the owner?..whats with a rubber grommet and stuff?..Do you mean a tank that has coils already in it?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, just to be clear, the modmaker does advise his customers to check the resistance before use, and the store knows this. That bit is a normal part of owning a mech. The store takes issue with using a mech without having to sweat the build, because it's too easy and "real" vapers should earn the right to use a mech or something.
I think it may have more to do with wanting people who use mechs to know for certain what is going on top of the mod, and being aware of what could cause possible shorts...without having any saftey backups on a mech it is nice to know the user is intimately aware of each aspect of the build,atty,and batteries....also so many of our "mod explosions" have to do with newbies putting tanks with unadjustable flush 510 pins on hybrid mechs and causing hard shorts, so it became just a common thought that newbies should just leave mechs alone, and put their tanks on regulated mods.even today there is a misunderstood fear mongering about mechs in general that borders on paranoia.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im confused about the term pre built coils i guess...isnt that any coil pre wrapped and sold to be installed by the owner?..whats with a rubber grommet and stuff?..Do you mean a tank that has coils already in it?
Prebuilt coils are the factory coil assemblies. Coiled, wicked and just screw them in.
smok_tfv8_turbo_engines_replacement_coils_v8-t8.jpg

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think they were just worried about safety. They didn't have to be dicks about it tho. Lol @ "real vapers"

No shit. I ran into that sort of attitude at the very first vape shop I went into, looking for ejuice for my lil eRoll. They kinda smirked, because it's a cigalike, even if you do put your own ejuice in it. So I rarely went back to that shop, preferring another which is closer to me, and never gave me any lip when I used an eRoll, sold me my first Kanger T3S ("factory built coils that screw in"), and are still friendly to me when I stop in to buy a driptip, though I don't even buy their ejuice anymore -- like me, they figure a "real vaper" is anyone who's inhaling vapor rather than smoke!

Andria

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yuppers. Tootle puffers who call themselves real vapers are very annoying! Just kidding of course... :p

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yuppers. Tootle puffers who call themselves real vapers are very annoying! Just kidding of course... :p
LOL.....in an age in vaping where any newbie can buy a dozen alien coils off the internet and a regulated mod with room to carry half a dozen batteries, the ability to be a cloud bro is no sign of vaping expertise.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
LOL.....in an age in vaping where any newbie can buy a dozen alien coils off the internet and a regulated mod with room to carry half a dozen batteries, the ability to be a cloud bro is no sign of vaping expertise.
That's why I said I was only joking of course. :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Speaking of prebuilt and precoiled vs factory coil heads.. Was reading some posts in another vape group and this guy was like hey, my coils don't taste very good. Said they were staggered fused claptons, and I'm looking at the pic trying to sort out why it looked so janky. The last wrap fusing the claptons seemed to be hit and miss all over the place. Then I realized the 'claptons' were composed of some sort of core wire, claptoned with flat ribbon like a tiger coil sort of. After he'd wound it into a coil the edges of the ribbon cable were raked up like tiger's. Two of those next to one another with a round wire fusing them together and it was the awkward spacing and valleys of the flat wire that had it looking so off.

I showed him a pic of staggered fused claptons off a TM vid to show him the difference, he showed me a screenshot of the wire he ordered from someplace in the UK. Unless there's a new trend I'm unaware of (ribbon wire claptons), it seems when people are buying advanced type coil wire the sellers don't even know what the hell they're selling.

Agreed that the shop employees and owner sounded like elitist dicks. Acting like 'real vapers' only use rda's and mechs and fuck the rest. Safety may have it's place but that sort of snobbery isn't good for the community either. If people wanted that sort of condemnation they'd keep smoking. As for family guy, I swear they have a scene for just about every scenario. lmao. I can generally express anything via family guy quotes haha.

Here's a pic of it I found from a place called lemonvape, looks like the same shit that guy was using. From what I gather it's UD's take on staggered fused claptons.

acc-staggered-fused-clapton-coil-15-ud-1.jpg

VU Sponsors