Become a Patron!

ORCHID MODIFICATION THREAD

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2.8mm is just slightly too big for V6 with glass. it left bulging where the glass sits but works well. lots more air flow. glad i drilled it out. I'm gonig to drill out the rest of my orchids now.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mutant beast is alive. weighs a little short of a ton. LOVE IT!

Sorry for the non orchid post, but this is the most active post for modification.

Big orange.jpg

T

Taver13

@TheWestPole have you done anything to make a wider chimney, short of welding on a larger tube i cant really think of any other way too. may just give that a shot sometime soon

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TheWestPole have you done anything to make a wider chimney, short of welding on a larger tube i cant really think of any other way too. may just give that a shot sometime soon

Good timing. You just mentioned what I think is the best feature of the SilverPlay RDA. Lately I have really wanted to do a wider chimney for Orchid. Been thinking that the existing two-piece chimney would be the best to work from because of the greater wall thickness of the chimney's thread base, which would support the new tube better. I am waiting for a few of these to come in.

Screenshot 2015-01-19 at 10.16.43 PM.png

This is the tubing I have sourced. Seems like the .218" ID would work great. Drill out the upper part of the two-piece chimney for a light press fit backed up with a bit of epoxy. For the first one I will use a threaded tank with an o-ring seal in the top cap. That's the simplest way to go. Maybe a threaded one later for threadless tanks. :rolleyes:

Screenshot 2015-01-19 at 10.11.23 PM.png

Last edited:

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just wanna say thanks to all you guys who have the time and knowledge to modify these orchids. With a family of five and working swing shifts, there's barely enough time in a day for modification, and never enough for experimentation lol

T

Taver13

Good timing. You just mentioned what I think is the best feature of the SilverPlay RDA. Lately I have really wanted to do a wider chimney for Orchid. Been thinking that the existing two-piece chimney would be the best to work from because of the greater wall thickness of the chimney's thread base, which would support the new tube better. I am waiting for a few of these to come in.

View attachment 12827

This is the tubing I have sourced. Seems like the .218" ID would work great. Drill out the upper part of the two-piece chimney for a light press fit backed up with a bit of epoxy. For the first one I will use a threaded tank with an o-ring seal in the top cap. That's the simplest way to go. Maybe a threaded one later for threadless tanks. :rolleyes:

View attachment 12828
just picked up some SS tubing over at the hardware store, going to give a go at this big chimney thing, i got an extra chinet to mess around with so this should be interesting, definatly going to extend it and rig up a bigger tank, pics to come in the next few days hopefully

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just picked up some SS tubing over at the hardware store, going to give a go at this big chimney thing, i got an extra chinet to mess around with so this should be interesting, definatly going to extend it and rig up a bigger tank, pics to come in the next few days hopefully

Cool. How big are you going with the chimney diameter?

T

Taver13

Damn, Taver! I can see why you're going for a much bigger tank. You'll need it with the displacement of that huge chimney. :D Look forward to seeing it, man.
yea, gonna break out the taps and make it a top fill as well, with a large enough hole to accomodate dropper bottles, this is going to be a badass orchid, going to have to drill out the airholes more, but im thinking adding more? i dont know, going to have to play around

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yea, gonna break out the taps and make it a top fill as well, with a large enough hole to accomodate dropper bottles, this is going to be a badass orchid, going to have to drill out the airholes more, but im thinking adding more? i dont know, going to have to play around

Just to share some older notes about air holes:

Orchid Air holes:

Stock Base 2.1mm measured = 6.92 sq. mm total
Max Drill 7/64” 2.8mm measured = 12.30 sq.mm total
Chimney 4.0mm measured = 12.56 sq. mm

With 2.8mm deck holes, the potential air flow is pretty much equal to the potential air flow of the stock chimney. Unless those get bigger somehow, they will limit the draw of bigger diameter chimneys. I wasn't thinking about the wider chimney increasing air flow, rather that it would improve the quality of the vapor, inching the Orchid a bit closer to dripper quality.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

OK, I got those o-rings, but either we had a miscommunication or they sent the wrong thing.

I need bigger o-rings to hold the kf rings and glass tank together...what I got were drip-tip sized orings. WTF??

No size info on the page except a pic showing them next to a pencil..seemed right..

Umm, nope.

So, now what? I have 100 o-rings I'll never use. and still can't use the KF quartz tank with it's rings. :(

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, I got those o-rings, but either we had a miscommunication or they sent the wrong thing.

I need bigger o-rings to hold the kf rings and glass tank together...what I got were drip-tip sized orings. WTF??

No size info on the page except a pic showing them next to a pencil..seemed right..

Umm, nope.

So, now what? I have 100 o-rings I'll never use. and still can't use the KF quartz tank with it's rings. :(
I did the same fucking thing lol. Got the same package, but on the bright side, I'm pretty sure we have plenty of drip tip orings lol

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Umm, nope.

Damn. They must have changed their part#/description. :( PM me your address and I'll mail you some.

I just looked and found them here:

oring.png

www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Buna-O-rings-15-x-1-5mm-Price-for-50-pcs-/160852016815?pt=Pneumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item257386feaf

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you had to use the sizing guide. that's what I did and got the right size. but since I don't use those tanks, they are spares.

T

Taver13

well, while im waiting for my epoxy to set and cure, im going to give you all a progress update, first, here is my temporary solution to a much larger tank need, i may put in some of the v4 metal rings in before i cut the final chimney size. it looks crazy, but i need the capacity with the 3/8 inch chimney, that bad boy takes up some space
2015-01-20 19.33.42.jpg
now here is the chimney, this thing is FAT, the flavor is going to be top notch, even with the long tube, the width will make up for the length. i normally run a 5 wrap 22 gauge build, so its going to be plenty warm.
2015-01-20 19.33.53.jpg 2015-01-20 19.34.15.jpg
pretty fat hole huh.

now im off to see if i can squeeze more airflow out of my deck, ill be reporting in as i go with this one

jamieg71

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 12827

View attachment 12828
FYI, the SilverPlay chimney and tank fit on the Orchid base. I robbed the Kayfat kit from one of my orchids to use on my SP, and figured I might as well see if it would work. It does. This orchid base isn't drilled out (yet), and the AF improvement is substantial.
252720fbf5c511ceff08ad2b0fdfe9a1.jpg

Here's the Kayfat on the SP, not aesthetically pleasing but it works for what I was wanting.
a93a31cd507857f3980cdb33a725b41d.jpg

T

Taver13

got the airholes on the deck drilled out to 1/8th inch now
2015-01-20 23.24.21.jpg 2015-01-20 23.24.38.jpg
put together, chimney on deck, took a draw, its like my plume veil with just the cyclops open, serious freaking airflow, cant wait to throw a build in and try her out. hopefully i wont have to fuck with the juice chanels but with this much airflow, might have too
2015-01-20 23.25.00.jpg

T

Taver13

@Taver13 that's just downright awesome man
thanks man, im gonna wash everything up, and if im not to shot tonight, throw a build in and test her out, wont fill it up much incase the channels need to be moddified, but im real excited for this one

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:
T

Taver13

well, looks like im gonna shorten her up a bit, its not as hot as i would like, and im running real low on 22gauge, i think full size kayfun pc window, with the orchid rings, and i should be where i want, damn, dont wanna wait for the damn slow boat, also gonna try a 2ohm 30gauge build, on my ipv mini, see how she works out for me

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FYI, the SilverPlay chimney and tank fit on the Orchid base. I robbed the Kayfat kit from one of my orchids to use on my SP, and figured I might as well see if it would work. It does. This orchid base isn't drilled out (yet), and the AF improvement is substantial.
252720fbf5c511ceff08ad2b0fdfe9a1.jpg

Here's the Kayfat on the SP, not aesthetically pleasing but it works for what I was wanting.
a93a31cd507857f3980cdb33a725b41d.jpg

Thanks. Good to know. Too bad I can't get the SilverPlay chimney a la carte. :(

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jamieg71
That silverplay must need a different top cap right? The tall stock top cap is kind of what's holding me back from purchasing the aty.
I think FT is the best bet for parts and I'm sure its just a couple months away. I don't think they ever released any spare parts for the authentic orchid.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just purchased an v4, any tips on this thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just purchased an v4, any tips on this thing?

Its pretty straight forward, take a browse through this thread and you will see some coil setups.
Don't stuff the juice channels with wick, just rest the wick on top of the holes. Do a center post build where the left side of the coils legs reach to the left then in to the negative post so the coil is centered over the air hole. Most people build between 0.6ohms and 0.4ohms (26g to 25g). Below 0.5 ohms i would drill out the air holes (also in this thread) to keep up with the heat when you start to get that low.

Tighten up the top cap and base real good so you have a good seal. Any air leaks will create juice leaks.

All I can think of off the top of my head, others may add to it.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Top fill will work with out leak?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Possible, yes. Best results are using a top fill cap and holding the two air holes closed and a finger over the drip tip to seal everything up while filling. The fill holes are so small though if you fill too fast the air (along with juice) will take the easier route up the juice channels and flood as they are bigger and have less restriction than the one tiny vent hole in the top fill cap.

Ninja_DuDe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so hello everyone im new to the forum and just dropped in to have a question answered. So... Ideally if i bought these two items any idea if they would be compatible together with my orchid v4
KAYFUN 3.1 / LITE EXTENSION TUBE,
www.ebay.com/itm/kayfun-3-1-lite-extension-tube-allows-10ml-more-juice-in-your-kayfun/201162718390?hash=item2ed63b7cb6
Polished Clear Bell Cap For Kayfun Russian Orchid Atomizer
www.ebay.com/itm/polished-clear-bell-cap-for-kayfun-russian-orchid-atomizer/301475392505?hash=item4631556bf9
And Maybe eventually i'd like to get the kayfun topfill cap also

Last edited:

Ninja_DuDe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so i have the common problem for bottom filling my orchid v4 and it seems to me that thick juices create an airlock at the lip of the build decks chimney so is there a tank option that is more shaped like the kayfun v4 with a wider center part. i think that might actually allow the air to rise up and around the chimney if it were possible.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so hello everyone im new to the forum and just dropped in to have a question answered. So... Ideally if i bought these two items any idea if they would be compatible together with my orchid v4
KAYFUN 3.1 / LITE EXTENSION TUBE,
()
Polished Clear Bell Cap For Kayfun Russian Orchid Atomizer
()
And Maybe eventually i'd like to get the kayfun topfill cap also

Welcome. Can't see the photos. Try posting the links but remove http:// from the address. I have had problems posting eBay listings and this is a fix. Otherwise printscreen and past the page.

I can say that Kayfun top fill caps work and many here choose that solution. I needle fill or top fill (removing cap) so it's not for me. Also, Kayfun bell caps are generally nano size, which means they fit the shorter Orchid V1-3 chimneys. The V4 chimney will stick up into the drip tip area. Your choices are to drill clearance for the chimney into the drip tip, or shorten the chimney.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so i have the common problem for bottom filling my orchid v4 and it seems to me that thick juices create an airlock at the lip of the build decks chimney so is there a tank option that is more shaped like the kayfun v4 with a wider center part. i think that might actually allow the air to rise up and around the chimney if it were possible.

Needle filling works, or top fill removing the cap, using the Kayfun top filling technique. Which V4 do you have, PC or glass? The glass thread rings create more filling issues than the PC.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, I also fill my Orchid v4 fitted with the clear full KF tank, just with a dropper bottle pressed into the fill port. I did put one of those tiny o-rings on the fillport screw though. Syringe also works well, have to go slow though or it'll backflow out the port.

Also important: leave a 1-2 mm gap of air for the vacuum to work, or it probably will leak.

:)

Last edited:
T

Taver13

i find that my V2 deck dosent leak where as my v4 does leek when filling with a dropper bottle, not sure why this is, but it is what it is

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Umm, nope.

It does say the size... but you have to look at a chart and convert :)

# 008-70D
O RING 3/16 X 5/16 X 1/16

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i find that my V2 deck dosent leak where as my v4 does leek when filling with a dropper bottle, not sure why this is, but it is what it is

Could be the wicking...do you have any wick in the channels? Ya don't want that...

Never had any of the earlier Orchids, but this one don't leak. If it did, it wouldn't be on a wood mod. ;-)

VU Sponsors