Become a Patron!

Opening a Futura by Nexgen ?? Anyone kno w HOW?

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
Does anyone know how to open a Futura tube mod from Nexgen? It's a DNA20 device.... but I have no idea how to open it, and it needs repair. :( the company is LESS than useless.

Any advice, pictures or links would be SO appreciated. THANKS.

Last edited:

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Pics!! Pics!!

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
Youtube video of what its doing and some pictures.

XAxvll6.jpeg

39lVqaS.jpeg

One of the things its doing is almost always saying check atomizer.
With all my other dna20/dna30 devices, when they say check atomizer they display CHECK ATOMIZER (no period)
this guy, shows CHECK ATOMIZER.
The period only shows when there is actually a atty on top, watch the video and when I fire it without an atty is says CHECK ATOMIZER (no period) but with an ATTY on top, it displays CHECK ATOMIZER.

nHeiuVi.jpeg

CjTSuIZ.jpeg

See the two pictures of DNA30 devices... One has a period and one doesn't. That must tell Evolv something during diagnostics and troubleshooting is my guess....So I contacted Evolv, they wouldn't get in to specifics with me, but said the dna20 board is most likely bad on a component level and would need to be replaced, but Nexgen the guys who make the futura have all but closed shop..... No response to emails, hell - I tried to BUY 2 futuras from him a few (6?) months ago and he told he me he would "reserve" 2 for me in 2 weeks, thank god I never had the chance to pay him. I love this device, but the man behind the company needs to learn a lot about customer service, inventory, keeping the customer happy and DELIVERING ORDERS. There were guys on ecf who had PAID months prior and were still waiting for devices... But, this is getting off track.

So, now I have this DNA20 model that obviously has a bad chip... ok no problem, I've got new chips. BUT I have no clue how to open this sucker up. There is no clear access point that I can see. I'm hoping SOMEONE smarter than me could point me in the right direction.

hazozita

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Phone Guy. I have to agree that Nexgen is totally useless – I had to go the route of a charge back on my credit card to get my money back from them. They make lots of promises but have zero follow through. Fortunately Amex got me my money back.

But to get to your issue – it’s not easy to get into the innards of the Futura. I learned this from I guy I ran into at a local vape shop who had one. We got to chatting about the Futura and Nexgen (another dissatisfied customer, it turns out) and he told me about having to replace the chip as well. He works in a machine shop and was able to remove and then replace the top cap, but he said it was not at all easy since it is press-fit on, and he ended up having to machine a new part of some sort to get it back together.

Sorry for the vague info – I don’t remember any more of the details. Good luck with the repair.

Phone Guy

Member For 4 Years
Oh man that's not good.... anyone have any experience with press fit top caps? any clue how I can at least educate myself online a little bit before I attempt such a task..sounds like it might be beyond my skill set.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, its a bit of a Hail Mary but it is worth a try.

Install an 18650 battery that is on the last legs of a charge, set the device to 7.0 watts and keep pressing the power button until it is totally drained and the display dies out completely.

Put in a fresh battery and the display should say Evolv DNA or something very much like that. And you have just rebooted the chip.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Is that not the same as simply switching batteries? :confused:

I would tend to agree with you that just removing the battery would be enough and should achieve the same purpose.

But I did read somewhere (perhaps on the Evolv website) that the chip needed to see a gradual drop in voltage to zero before it would reboot.

And one of the DNA devices I own used to have an issue where the resistance level would "Stick" and this cured it.

VU Sponsors