Become a Patron!

OBS Engine Nano Review

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been looking for a nice single coil RTA for a long time, something that had good airflow, 25mm in size and used less juice and gave me more battery life, could this RTA be the answer ?

Deck

Great build deck here, looking at it, my first thought was, this is crying out for a framed staple clapton but for this review, I used the supplied fused clapton coil. I will be doing a a new build this week and add my thoughts..

Nice big post holes on this one, you can fit a nice chunky coil in here, probably the easiest, no, it is the easiest deck I have ever build on, your coil doesn't twist as it screws them down flat from the top. The hex style grub screws are nice, not too shallow and you can get a good grip on them with the supplied wrench.

Coil came out to 0.33ohm, to be honest, this is a cheap Chinese coil, it's OK but personally, I wouldn't use it..

Wicking

I cut the wicks level with the deck and combed them out. As you can see, just by pulsing the coil at 30w, this coil can't handle much power, the color went really dark.

screen capture windows

I fold the wicks over, as I would a standard RDA or a Boreas.....the gently tuck the wick into the holes, these holes are bigger than the 25mm Engine, they are the same as the Engine mini and because they are bigger, you don't want to stuff them in there, just push them in slightly to plug the holes, no wick hits the bottom of the deck.

New airflow design

Unlike the original engine where the airflow hits the top of your coils, this hits both sides, I find this better, gives a smoother vape and better flavor. One notch is bigger than the other so the chimney only goes on one way, this is because the front airflow is bigger, where as the back airflow is smaller and passes through the posts.

The chimney no long spins when you screw it onto the deck, it has a inner chamber that spins this time.

Final thoughts.

Even with the supplied coil I am getting great flavor off this at 48w but for how I like to vape, it's a little on the cool side and I know a bigger coil will perform better. The kind of coil you can't really run as dual, for me, that's what this tank is all about. That's not to say a single gauge 26, 24g wouldn't be good, it all depends on how you vape I guess.
I got no leaks, as, it can't leak, no spit back, not even after filling which I got on the dual coil engine, lovely swooshy airflow, another great tank from OBS, they have been killing it lately.

Looks wise, not much has changed on the outside, the pattern at the top is a bit different but all in all it's the same, that goes for the drip tip which is also the same.

Cons ..

I'm sitting here trying to think of one, I can't find any cons, maybe after some time with it but as of now, it's just a solid tank. Well made, threads are smooth, get a spare glass, o rings and screws ect..

I will update this review with a new build, it will be interesting to see if the wicking can keep up at higher wattage, I can't test that with this coil.

Rixsta rating 5 out of 5 stars..

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice review man!

The Engine and Engine Nano are two tanks I don't actually own, it is getting hard to justify new things now as the collection grows.

Do you have any other single coil RTA's? If so, how does this compare? I have a few, my favourite so far being the Serpent mini, I find this to perform better at around 25W or so, and the airflow is fairly restrictive on that tank. I gather this has a lot more airflow?

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice review man!

The Engine and Engine Nano are two tanks I don't actually own, it is getting hard to justify new things now as the collection grows.

Do you have any other single coil RTA's? If so, how does this compare? I have a few, my favourite so far being the Serpent mini, I find this to perform better at around 25W or so, and the airflow is fairly restrictive on that tank. I gather this has a lot more airflow?
Yes more airflow and more airflow than the Serpent Mini 25mm too. Fit bigger coils in this and it never leaks, just a good all round tank.

I have one on order. But I still have a gripe before even getting it.

The coils have to be wrapped counter clockwise for the high/low sides to line up.
While I am right handed and prefer to go clockwise I guess going the other way is not too big a deal.
But all my store bought pre made coils are wrapped clockwise.

Should they have placed the low/high holes on the opposite posts? I think so. What do you think?

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice review man!

It has more flavor than the merlin and airflow
It even beats Kfuns on flavor
Im running single wire coil of 26ga at .72ohms
It will eat juice at higher wattages

Will not leak even in a hot car at 85 degree outside temps

I have three of them now all work great

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have one on order. But I still have a gripe before even getting it.

The coils have to be wrapped counter clockwise for the high/low sides to line up.
While I am right handed and prefer to go clockwise I guess going the other way is not too big a deal.
But all my store bought pre made coils are wrapped clockwise.

Should they have placed the low/high holes on the opposite posts? I think so. What do you think?
Well my latest OBS Nano has the post holes level so you can build either way. No idea if that's older or newer stock but I find it better.

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
have you tried bigger coils yet? mine is arriving today.
Yes bigger coils up to 4mm ID work but you have to thin the cotton out or it will dry hit, I find 3mm to be the sweet spot.

VU Sponsors