Become a Patron!

OBS Crius 2 Dual Coil Review By St.Roostifer

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome everyone to the first creative writing I’ve done in almost 30 years and certainly a first for me in the vape world. Last time I wrote anything was a few book reports in High School on Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix, so please go easy on me.

@Heaven Gifts hosted a contest to win the OBS Crius 2 Dual Coil and I happened to be the lucky winner. HG asked if I would kindly post my real thoughts on the RTA after spending some time with it and so here we are. A big thank you to HG and their contact. They have been an absolute pleasure deal with. They were prompt in their response when I messaged them with my info and shipped the Crius 2 out right away. Delivery from China took a mere five days to the US mid west and like an eager kid at Christmas time, I was literally waiting for the DHL van to pull up to my house so I could get started tinkering with my newest toy. The package arrived safely wrapped in bubble wrap which is always fun to play with... especially fun to irritate the family dog with. Yeah, I just couldn’t resist the opportunity to torment an innocent soul despite my love for that adorable creature.

109458-3320f139b05dd4bf1cbe65182420152f.jpg

So what is in the box? The usual suspects... Well almost.

Package of O-rings

Organic Cotton pad

Extra glass for the tank

1 resin drip tip. Very cool looking if I may say so.

2 unspecified fused clapton coils

1 phillips head screw driver and not the dainty little thing that came with my Goon rda. This screw driver is actually effective in tightening down the clamp... Which is nice.

And that is it. Disappointed with not getting an extra screw for the clamp on the deck. Nobody ever plans on losing the little buggers but it does happen and would prevent the daunting task of running out to the hardware store endlessly searching through the plethora of fasteners to find the right size.

IMAG0194.png

Dimensions

Diameter: 25mm

Height: 57mm

Weight: 63g

Tank Capacity: 4ml

Taking the Crius 2 apart

Simply unscrew the base base from the chamber to access the build deck. The chimney resides under the top juice fill and connects to the chamber. Slide up the juice fill to expose the filling hole and grip it there with the right hand while gripping the base of the glass with the left and unscrew the chimney from the chamber. The Crius 2 breaks down into five pieces that are very easy to reassemble.

The chamber is rather tall due to the height of the mounting post but that makes for a short chimney, I mean short! The chamber does not have much of a conical or domed shape but it is polished to help the vapor flow smoothly.

After breaking it all down I was shocked by one thing. Not a hint of machine oil anywhere. Every piece was dry to the touch and could not smell anything which is a nice touch considering the Geekvape Zeus single coil I recently picked up reeked of machine oil and needed a hot soapy bath. Not the Crius 2 though. I did give it a brief soaking in hot water just to be sure but skipped the soap, dried it off and was ready to build. Well done OBS on cleaning the rta prior to packaging. Would be nice if all manufacturers did this.

IMAG0197.png
IMAG0198.png

The Build

Before I launch into the build aspect of this. I want to point out that the Crius 2 is designated to a mod that is one of my “babies” so it spends its time in the bedroom always upright for when the wifey and I are hanging out chilling to movies, video games etc. The reason I point this out now is because it relates to how I wicked the Crius 2 which we will get to in a moment.

First I’d like to address the coils that came with the rta. They look to be 26*2/32 fused claptons but please do not quote me on that or fault me for not being sure. After all, OBS does not know either since it was not stated anywhere. For shits and giggles I did install them to see what the ramp up time would be like. Lets just say too damn slow for my cup o tea. I rarely use the provided coils so this was no big deal to me since I started making my own about a month ago and have a small stock pile. Still worth mentioning for those that may want to use the provided coils. For me, a slow ramp up coincides with a slow ramp down which allows heat to build in the chamber faster. Not good for those that like to chain vape or even having a short sit down for a quick nic fix. Fine, now that’s out of the way let’s get to the fun stuff shall we.

Since the chimney is somewhat shielded from the height of the posts I decided to go with coils that are two 28/40ga claptons twisted together and helixed with 40ga wire running between the twists. A little more angry than the 28*2/40 fused claptons I was contemplating on using. I prefer a wetter vape and knew these coils would provide that for me. Forgive me for the pic not being instagram quality but the camera I’m working with is not the best and all I have to work with. The coils pictured are a 2.5ID 6 wraps @ .38 ohms.

IMAG0206.png

Wicking the Crius 2 was not difficult for me because it’s wicking channels are very similar to another bottom airflow rta with juice flow control that I already have. My preferred choice of wicking is Cotton Bacon V2. I Tried it, liked it so stuck with it. I ran the cotton through the coils just snug enough so that the wraps did not move out of place while pulling the cotton through. That was the easy part. Getting the tails the right thickness is the important part and attention to detail is needed. Too much cotton will slow down wicking which I cannot afford to do with the 75-80% VG juices I use. So after cutting the tails to just a bit longer than I need, I use my finger tips to lightly pull on the ends of the tails to thin them out to somewhat loosely fill the wicking channels. This why I earlier pointed out that this atty and mod will always be sitting upright. Honestly, I would not trust this way of wicking if the mod/atty was going to be sitting in a gym bag, purse, brief case etc. Even with closing off the Juice flow control. Here are a few pics of the way I wicked the coils and then saturated with juice. You’ll see that I try to leave plenty of space in the channel for juice to sit and keep those wicks saturated.

IMAG0210.png
IMAG0211.png
IMAG0212.png

Now that the coils are juiced up its time to reassemble everything and get the Crius 2 ready for juice. Take notice of the small triangle pointing up underneath the fill port. X marks the spot for filling. Slide the top piece up as pictured below to expose the fill port.

END PAGE 1/2

Attachments

• IMAG0189.png
    IMAG0189.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
START PAGE 2/2

As with any new atty, I never fill up all the way the first go with it. Half works good for me so if there is something wrong and need to access the build deck I can flip it upside down and do whatever needs to be done.
IMAG0213.png
IMAG0214.png

How Does it vape?

A few weeks ago I tried a different grape flavor from another juice company than what I usual vape grape flavor on. I tried this juice in a 22mm Goon rda with the same build that I put in the Crius 2 but was not at all happy with the vape on the Goon. The flavor was just lack luster so I set the juice aside for the time being and put a different flavor in the Goon.

I decided to really test the Crius 2 by getting that grape flavor out of the box and filling the Crius 2 with it. Fucking hell did that juice come to life! That’s right, the Crius 2 managed to get the flavor out of the juice that the Goon 22 could not achieve. I mean the Crius 2 just slapped the Goon 22 on the ass and said have a nice day Shanaynay. The difference was that noticeable for me.

That test got me thinking about another test. How would the Crius 2 do with my favorite tobacco flavor that I vape in the Wasp Nano rdta and the single coil Zeus rta? I had to find out. After spending alot of time figuering out the wicking on the Zeus I was able to get nice flavor out of the tobacco that I am very happy with. The only difference is that the Wasp Nano brings out more of the sweetness in the tobacco than Zeus does. So after rewicking the Crius 2 and juicing it up, it was time to see how it would do. The Crius 2 slapped Zeus on his ass, just like the Goon 22. Rumor has it Zeus is seeing a therapist now... Poor butt-hurt Greek god. Seriously not even close and remember, I do like the flavor produced from the Zeus single coil but it just could not hang. So then it came down to the infamous flavor chaser, the Wasp Nano. The Crius 2 gave me a little more robust flavor than the Wasp Nano but fell a little short in sweetness. It was so close that when I would hit the Wasp I would think it had the edge but then I would hit the Crius 2 and think it had the edge. It was that damn close which suprised me knowing how the Wasp kicks ass in flavor. In the end I declared a tie between the the Crius 2 and the Wasp Nano rdta. Both will have my favorite tobacco flavor in them and the Zeus, when he completes his therapy sessions, will get my favorite grape flavor as a consolation prize.

The build I use in the Crius 2 came out to .38 resistance and found my sweet spot to be 50-55W. Vaped it as high as 70W but was a bit warm for my taste but the wicking kept up no problem none the less.

IMAG0216.png

Likes and dislikes

First with the dislikes:

1) despite the kickass look of the drip tip I don’t like the feel of it or how the bore widens closer to the top of it. I think the idea was to help the vapor spread outward as it leaves the tip and into the mouth. Its also a bit fat for my taste but I still use it regardless. This of course is as they say subjective. Some will like it and some will not.

2) After refilling I’ve noticed slight wetness around the base. I chalk this up to a full tank increasing pressure on that seam from the weight of the heavier e juice I vape on. As I vape the tank down, and it does not take long, the wetness goes away. Just something to be aware of and should be pointed out.

3) if you decide to bring this tank out and about with you, don’t forget your e juice. You will need it! Unicorns are a vapers best friend.

4) A whistle develops if the airflow is closed down and that's with 2.5mm ID coils and the coils approximately 2mm off the airflow ports on the build deck. For me its not really a big deal because I run it wide open but worth pointing out for those that may want to restrict the draw.

Now on to the likes:

1) FLAVOR! Duh. Nuff said.

2) Tank Capacity. 4mm is not the largest capacity and in fact does not hold as much as the OBS Engine Nano or Zeus rtas but this is a dual coil rta so the build deck is going to take up more space and thus less juice capacity. This is fine for someone like me that plans on vaping this at home where my juice is readily available.

3) Build quality is great. The threads are smooth, the gold plating on the deck was done very well and does not look like gold flakes that I have see on other attys. The inner chamber is very smooth and looks polished to help with airflow.

4) I love the sliding juice fill, it’s so smooth when pulling it up to expose the fill port. OBS improved this over the Engine series rtas which were nice to begin with. Well done.

5) Airflow is fucking great! Very very smooth when wide open and not loud in my humble opinion. Its not whisper quiet but certainly quieter than my Engine Nanos.

6) I like the somewhat plain look of the Crius 2. The black looks absolutely sick on the black Tesla 150 TS.

7) the Juice flow control works very well and needed for someone like me that prefers to wick a little thinner to compensate for heavier e-juices.

8) The airflow has stoppers both the open and closed positions.

Overall how would I rate the OBS Crius 2 dual coil rta?
poster,210x230,f8f8f8-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u1[1].png

Well done OBS and thanks again to Heaven Gifts for the giveaway. I had a blast playing with this rta and despite my preference being single coil for rtas, I really like the Crius 2 dual coil rta. Enough so that I plan to pick up the Engine 2 when it comes out. I skipped out on the first Engine because it was dual coil but I wont do that again. The Crius 2 has opened my mind to dual coil rtas.

Please go easy on me in the comments, if anyone reads this that is, I am a virgin at posting reviews after all. Thanks to those that do read it and hope you have found it helpful. :D

For anyone interested in the OBS Crius 2 Dual Coil you can find it here:

https://www.heavengifts.com/product...17611&utm_content=7599014&utm_term=Eleaf+Lemo

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Cracking first vape review Roo :cheers:

See you didnt get on with the drip till either ...wish they decreased the bore a little would have really made the difference

Congrats on the contest win by the way!

Oh and PS I do exactly the same with bubble wrap and my dog hahaha

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cracking first vape review Roo :cheers:

See you didnt get on with the drip till either ...wish they decreased the bore a little would have really made the difference

Congrats on the contest win by the way!

Oh and PS I do exactly the same with bubble wrap and my dog hahaha
Thank you for compliment and congrats on the contest win. :):cheers:

Yeah that drip tip looks awesome on the rta but I admit that I'm used to the narrower tip on the OBS Nano so that probably plays a part. I still use it though and will get used to it in time.

lmao. Glad I'm not the only sadist that enjoys tormenting such loveable creatures. The puppy took it well and had us laughing with the way she was running around like crazy. I think she enjoyed it. :teehee:

VU Sponsors