Become a Patron!

Noob wanting to start building (safely)

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello. I've been vaping for about a month now. Using the HAUS PV and I'm not liking having to buy replacement tanks. Also, the vapor production leaves much to be desired. I would like a device, preferably VW, setup with which I could simply buy my coil and wick material and replace it myself. I just need to be pointed in the right direction as I am pretty clueless. Any tips are much appreciated. Have nice day! :)

Graham Bradley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
unfortunately im not sure how much cheaper that route is going to be, you will start going through juice quicker obviously which will offset the price difference for coils. There are tons of youtube videos out their on the subject, Any specific questions are usually answered within a day right here!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you take mouth to lung hits, the kayfun is a great rebuildable tank. Easy to build and a 20 watt mod would be all you'd need to cover it's potential. They're affordable, easy to find and there's a ridiculous amount of accessories available. My Ehpro Kayfun 3.1 is the device I use every morning for a couple hours. Then I switch to my lung hitters. I'll never give up my Kayfun.

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for your responses. I have taken the juice problem into account, Graham. I will be getting my own PG/VG/Nic and making my own so I can mess around and find my preferred ratio and keep price down. Boomstick, I do take drags like from a cigarette. Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into the kayfun. You speak of lung hitters. I prefer a very heavy throat hit and heavy cloud production. Are there devices with which I could straight inhale?

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After checking out the Kayfun, I am impressed. It would fit on something like the Innokin iTaste mvp2.0, no?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After checking out the Kayfun, I am impressed. It would fit on something like the Innokin iTaste mvp2.0, no?
It should work fine, as long as you build coils within the MVP's resistance limitations, which I believe are above 1.0 or 1.2 ohm...

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 2.0 is 11 watts...i think the 20 watt mvp can handle 1.0 ohms...ive fired .9 before...it dropped to .8 and it wouldnt fire anymore....the mvp 2.0 is for i think is 1.5 ohm and up.

The kayfun will fit but it has overhang...innokin put the 510 to close to the edge..even my protank 2 overhangs about a half millimeter if that.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The 20 watt mvp would be much better than the 11 watt version. The 11 watt'er doesn't allow the kayfun to reach its full potential and the crappy connector doesn't support a large'ish, stainless steel atty that uses a 510 connection very well.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are there devices with which I could straight inhale?

A Lemo tank has much better airflow than a Kayfun, but at the same time is very similar. This maybe something to consider if you want to take straight lung inhales.

I have several variations of the kayfun....i havent used one since getting a lemo

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
A Lemo tank has much better airflow than a Kayfun, but at the same time is very similar. This maybe something to consider if you want to take straight lung inhales.

I have several variations of the kayfun....i havent used one since getting a lemo
Besides the Lemo, there's the UD Goblin and the Silverplay. However, both of them are for advanced vapers, due to the wicking on those devices. I personally prefer the Silverplay over the Goblin.
The Lemo is easy to build on and has good airflow.

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I have decided on an iStick 50w box mod with a Ehpro Lemo. Does that sound like a decent setup to you all? Any suggestions for wire gauge or wicking material? So far, I'm thinking 24g Kanthal with organic cotton. If you feel that any other material would work better with this setup please let me know. Once again, thank you all for your input. Have a blessed week.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
24g is pretty thick for a tank.

Take a peek at steam-engine.org and play with the calculator for the coil resistance you are planning to target.

Do you know what Ohms your old coils were?

I personally would recommend watching a couple of videos on the Lemo and the Kayfun Lite Plus v2. Probably the Russian 91% and the Squape Reloaded as well.

When looking for "clones" which are affordable knock-offs made by Chinese companies, look for Tobeco, Ehpro, Infinite, and HCigar. These are known to produce decent quality clones. Not all of them will make versions of each of the atty's I mentioned above.

I personally have a couple of Kayfun Lite Plus v2's, Kayfun v4's and Orchid v4's. I prefer to inhale like a drag from a cig and just don't care for the big airflow of the Orchid v4 at all so I exlusively use the Kayfun's now and mostly the v4 because I can refill it in about 30 seconds. It definitely is more complicated to figure out at first, but once you do, it is extremely easy to use and build. The ones I have are made by Tobeco and came from vapenw.com for $19.99 each.

When looking at the mods, one thing you want to be sure of is to think about how often you need the device because of the time it takes to recharge. I started with an MVP 2.0 and then got a ZNA 30. The ZNA uses replaceable 18650 batteries that are easy to swap out and I'll never go back to a device that uses non-replaceable batteries simply because with 2 sets of batteries, I don't ever have to worry about recharge time.:)

I just got my wife a Sigelei Mini 30w and it is really nice. Very easy to hold, lightweight and takes 1 18650 that is very easy to swap, but it also has on-board charging if you want/need it. You can get higher watt box mods but they will increase in size. But with tanks, you really won't go above 20 watts for a long time to come most likely.

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask any questions that you have because they will get answered quickly around here. :D

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I have decided on an iStick 50w box mod with a Ehpro Lemo. Does that sound like a decent setup to you all? Any suggestions for wire gauge or wicking material? So far, I'm thinking 24g Kanthal with organic cotton. If you feel that any other material would work better with this setup please let me know. Once again, thank you all for your input. Have a blessed week.
The devices sound like a good starting point.

The original coil preinstalled, has a 3mm diameter 26g 9/8 wrap at around 1 Ohm. However, on my Lemos, I did a 3mm ID 24g 8/7 wrap, resulted in a 0.8 Ohm. Yes, I also prefer organic cotton. However, mine is the Japanese kind.

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I checked steam engine and it gave me 9 full wraps for my targeted resistance with 24g. Would you recommend 26 for the Lemo?

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, Neuner. I am looking at going for sub ohm vaping after I get the hang of coiling and such. I'm ordering some organic japanese cotton as well when I make my purchase assuming I don't buy one at the shop I just found in town :D

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, seeing as I'm looking for flavor and more vapor production, would it be better for me to get a RDA? I have my Haus PV right now for on the go but the setup I"m looking for now will be an at home vape and I hear a lot of great things about drippers.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I checked steam engine and it gave me 9 full wraps for my targeted resistance with 24g. Would you recommend 26 for the Lemo?
Either one is fine. However, on the long run, when you start building on RDAs, you'll find the 24g will work better for dual coil builds in the 0.3-0.5 Ohm range.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Also, seeing as I'm looking for flavor and more vapor production, would it be better for me to get a RDA? I have my Haus PV right now for on the go but the setup I"m looking for now will be an at home vape and I hear a lot of great things about drippers.
For RDAs, I have to say, you'll run out of power (watt) real quick with the iStick 50W, at least you'll put stress on the circuit board. If you can afford, I'd rather get something like a Sigelei 100 Plus, or even the 150W.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Take a look at the Cotton Labo Japanese Organic Cotton Pads from Amazon for a lifetime supply, it's only $8.

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just placed an order for an iStick 30w (found a really good deal) and a Lemo tank :D Along with some 26g Kanthal, ohm meter and some of this cotton. I was going to order the one you linked but it ships from japan. I have read reviews of people using it in vapes so I figured it wouldn't be a problem if they were balled or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I can cancel my order lol.

Maxim Hygiene Products Organic Cotton Balls
The cotton I ordered.

Once again, thanks guys. Y'all have helped me out quite a bit :) I think I'll be sticking around here from now on.

Edit: Eh fuck it I just ordered some of the Labo from Japan. The other should hold me over until the good stuff arrives :p

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just placed an order for an iStick 30w (found a really good deal) and a Lemo tank :D Along with some 26g Kanthal, ohm meter and some of this cotton. I was going to order the one you linked but it ships from japan. I have read reviews of people using it in vapes so I figured it wouldn't be a problem if they were balled or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I can cancel my order lol.

Maxim Hygiene Products Organic Cotton Balls
The cotton I ordered.

Once again, thanks guys. Y'all have helped me out quite a bit :) I think I'll be sticking around here from now on.

Edit: Eh fuck it I just ordered some of the Labo from Japan. The other should hold me over until the good stuff arrives :p
The Labo is good stuff. Several people on here I know use it. There is a very thin compressed layer on each side that I normally peal off and all the nice fluffy stuff in the middle does a great job soaking up the juice :)

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome. I can't wait for all of this to arrive so I can finally get a decent vape session heh. I think the next build I do will be a dripper mech mod. Being a bladesmith, I would really like to forge the box but on the other hand it would look nice as a steampunk mod with a cocobolo base, brass faceplate and perhaps a toggle switch for the fire button. :p

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Awesome. I can't wait for all of this to arrive so I can finally get a decent vape session heh. I think the next build I do will be a dripper mech mod. Being a bladesmith, I would really like to forge the box but on the other hand it would look nice as a steampunk mod with a cocobolo base, brass faceplate and perhaps a toggle switch for the fire button. :p
A forged box could be pretty sweet (yes I know I just dated myself with that one) :)

Do you do any Damascus work?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I've been looking for a momentary toggle switch to use as the firing button on a mod I'm thinking of building. Let me know if you find one.

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Will do, Number. I don't work any patterned damascus, Image. Just plain high carbon and tool steels. Are you a fellow blade or steel enthusiast? :)

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Will do, Number. I don't work any patterned damascus, Image. Just plain high carbon and tool steels. Are you a fellow blade or steel enthusiast? :)
Steel. I picked up TIG welding several years ago with the hopes of building a recumbent trike for my son with autism, but then shortly after had my second back surgery and can't stand or sit very long so getting time in the garage is severly limited without taking a lot of meds during and for a day or so after.

I also started doing some chasing and repousse work since it's something I can do sitting in the house. I messed around with some scrap aluminum but have some copper sheet to work with now so I'm hoping to get started again soon.

Looking forward to warmer weather so I can try to get back out in the garage soon. Need to make a remote control frame to operate my lawn mower now that my daughter is gone for college and can't mow it anymore :(

Been doing a lot of research on r/c the last week or so and have a pretty good idea of where I need to start.

I do have some firebrick that I build a small forge for playing with bending steel, but it's been a time management thing for me just because when I'm doing stuff like that I have to prioritize needs of wants.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been looking for a momentary toggle switch to use as the firing button on a mod I'm thinking of building. Let me know if you find one.
On occasion, I'm ordering things for my R/C CP Helicopter hobby from digikey.com. Take a look at http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/switches/toggle-switches/1114212, you might find what you're looking for.

Not Sure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello. I've been vaping for about a month now. Using the HAUS PV and I'm not liking having to buy replacement tanks. Also, the vapor production leaves much to be desired. I would like a device, preferably VW, setup with which I could simply buy my coil and wick material and replace it myself. I just need to be pointed in the right direction as I am pretty clueless. Any tips are much appreciated. Have nice day! :)
it all depends on how youd like your juice and battery life to last you. you can build at about 1.2 and use on a regulated mod and have good battery life while not guzzling your juice. if thats not a concern for you than you could build alot lower and reap the cloudy benefits. of course while guzzling the juice and batt life. either way, id go w/ a regulated mod with quality batteries.

Last edited:

Modi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My package arrived and I'm charging the iStick as I type this. So anxious I feel like a kid again haha. The box is a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be which is a plus. This Lemo, though. I was amazed when I unboxed it. After having only used my Haus, this thing is beastly. At first I thought I was going to have some overhang of my tank but the lip on the istick 30 accommodates it nicely. This setup certainly won't win any beauty pageants but I have a feeling this will be my main vape for a while now. Next, an RDA mech mod :p

Once again I'd like to give a big thanks to the vape community here at vapingunderground. Without all of your advice and help, I'm sure I would have ended up waiting to build.

VU Sponsors