Become a Patron!

Noob question about %'s in a recipe

ghh3rd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just built an OKR-10 mod and bought a Freemax Starre tank to sit on top of it. I can't believe how nice the tank works, but wow, it sure goes through juice fast! I think it's time to start making my own juice!

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but when you have a recipe such as:

HIC's Macaroon Bars recipe:
2% FA Coconut
1.5% FA Cookie
1% FA Orange
1% FA Custard
1% FA Caramel
1% FA Marzipan
0.5% TFA Cranberry

...what do the %'s represent, the % relative to the total amount of juice you are making? For instance would this be a total of 2.4 ml flavor mixture for a 30 ml bottle?

Thanks!

Randy

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, you are correct. It is % of the total amount. Best way to figure this out is with one of the calculators. This is a link to the one that I use, but there are many others:
http://ecigvape.com/e_liquid_calculator.php

When I started, I found this to be the easiest way to learn.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes. And you happened to choose one of my very favorite mixes! This is how it looks on my calculator.

upload_2015-6-17_2-33-23.png

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice Huck..I didn't think about posting a screen shot. I would caution the OP to disregard the "drops" section unless you know how many drops of flavoring each of your bottles produce. This is not something we can tell you, All bottles and droppers are different. (Just trying to save yet another "how do I know how many drops to put in" post..lol). Use syringes to be accurate...etc

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
True. Good point, too. I always forget to change that "drops" number!!

Depending on the size I'm mixing, I use the scale measurements. Small sample size bottles, I cheat and use drops, but I'm familiar with the tips on them.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh I know you're an ol' pro..lol I'm getting so used to these questions that people post EVERY DAY..not bothering to read any of the millions of threads that already have these answers. They think they are the first people who ever thought to ask these questions...or it's easier to just start a new thread than to actually read..LOL So you start to be able to predict their next threads...LOL

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ol' pro? LOL, no I'm still a student :) So many good teachers here, I just take notes. :)

dannydestroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Huck and soulshine you crack me up. Ghh3rd for a decent way to post a question. I feel the best way is weight. I think that should be the absolute. FA drops tfa cap inw are all different. Correct me if I'm wrong, if you watch a scale you can know your drops. I feel like on most of my flavors I can get within a hundreth, only because of the scale. I'm not sure if this is laughable but on small mixes I'll blow on the scale to get those extra points to balance and see where I'm at.

ghh3rd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using weights might actually work... I do have a scale that measures grains in .1 grain increments (7000 grains per LB).

ghh3rd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One more question - is there one 'store' that the experienced juice mixers have been most happy with?

dannydestroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have my preferred places. Let's ask Huck soulshine HIC and smokey.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're looking for small 3 ml FA flavors to try..I would suggest purevapes.com or mama j's. If you want an all in one shop that you can order from most of the flavor vendors at once in 10 to 30 ml..then I would go with ecigaretteexpress.com. bullcityvapor.com is good as well. Depends on what you're looking for. Most of us pretty much use exclusively FA (with a few select flavors from TPA, Nature's Flavors etc. that HIC's recipes call for..LOL).

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://mamajsflavorshop.com/ and bullcityvapor.com for the freshest FA flavors. I used to order sample sizes from Pure Vapes, but suddenly their shipping took forever - and in any event you can now get sample sizes from MamaJs :)

ghh3rd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks everyone - I have a shopping list for everything I need... now to finance this endeavor :)

ghh3rd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a spreadsheet fanatic -- everything goes on a spreadsheet. Am I looking at this correctly - I'm pricing moderate size bottles of VG, PG, NIC, and flavors... before adding shipping, 30 ml batch comes to under $1.73. Can that be right?

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello ghh3rd - welcome to VU..!

before adding shipping, 30 ml batch comes to under $1.73. Can that be right?

30 ml batch of what exactly?? pg/vg? nic? haven't even considered buying that amount for either of those .. but i guess maybe you could get pg/vg for that price ... considering that 120ml of pg/vg is around 2/2.50$ tho .... honestly don't see much point .. could you clarify a bit?

ghh3rd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What I mean is that 30ml of juice produced from the above recipe comes to under $2. I broke down the cost of each component per ml, figured out how much each component cost for the recipe and summed them up. I didn't realize how much one could save with DIY juice.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't realize how much one could save with DIY juice.

ahhh ok .. now am reading it correctly lol - oh yes that sounds right ... i've been mixing 10 ml sample batches .. and they are coming out at about 34-60 cents per batch depending on flavors ... the calc I use recently, gives me batch cost based on prices i put in for ingredients .. 30 ml = $1.44 for HIC's http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-swiss-bliss-premium-chocolate-candy-bar.5201/
- that's using 10 ml bottles of flavors and buying nic @ 120ml / vg @480ml /pg @240ml - obviously you can cut that cost by a lot buying in bulk ! :cool:

I know right!! how good is this DIY stuff!!? freakin love it!

VU Sponsors