Become a Patron!

Noob on the loose

Im tired of smelling like an ashtray and could use a new hobby. After purchasing a few of those sad Smok starter kits from the local smoke shop that leaked out in my pocket and the awesome headache and vomit session that my first hit of 18mg nic salts provoked, I figured it's time to learn a thing or two from the pros before I make anymore investments into my journey with vaping. Ill be lurking around and make sure to use the search bar twice before asking any questions. Thanks in advance for your patience.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi and Welcome :wave:
There are many here that will help point you into the right direction!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use 18 mg/ml nicotine freebase. Sorry to read of your obviously crappy experience with 18 mg/ml, nicotine salts. Not had any such experience using freebase.

Lends to me wondering is there that much difference between salts & freebase?

From my limited understanding, nicotine is nicotine, is nicotine. That is to say 18 mg/ml is the same as 18 mg/ml nicotine in either freebase, or salts. Nicotine is nicotine after all.

Maybe my physiology is just wired that far differently too? Oh heck, did I go from being a carbon based form of life to silicone based one? Can we change the flickering light bulb in cell D 52? Thanks, the resident there is having flashbacks bad enough.

I'm making light jest because it is better to laugh at the negative, move forward to the positive. Do not mean to belittle anyone's bad experience/s. Well, I do but in a manner that we can all try to let the bad go easier. That's part of what humor is used for, softening the reality of being human and facing life as we do.

Amoeba spend eons laughing at something blocking forward motion. They're single celled organisms what live by trial, & error. Why not laugh at some funny shit right there they think, or would if given a brain.

The point being they do not stop moving forward. No, they simply alter course, keep moving forward. Good enough for them, surely good enough for me.

Might try some 12 mg nicotine juice/salts, or even 3 or 6 mg., If 18 mg is going to tear you up so bad as to cause vomitting, you'll want to avoid stronger nicotine strengths, if not nicotine all together. If you're under 21 years of age please do not vote, join the military service, drink spirits, use tobbacco, vape, get married, have any religion, have sexual intercourse. Think we ought to codify 21 as the universal age of consent, adulthood.

I use 18 mg/ml nicotine freebase. Sorry to read of your obviously crappy experience with 18 mg/ml, nicotine salts. Not had any such experience using freebase.

Lends to me wondering is there that much difference between salts & freebase?

From my limited understanding, nicotine is nicotine, is nicotine. That is to say 18 mg/ml is the same as 18 mg/ml nicotine in either freebase, or salts. Nicotine is nicotine after all.

Maybe my physiology is just wired that far differently too? Oh heck, did I go from being a carbon based form of life to silicone based one? Can we change the flickering light bulb in cell D 52? Thanks, the resident there is having flashbacks bad enough.

I'm making light jest because it is better to laugh at the negative, move forward to the positive. Do not mean to belittle anyone's bad experience/s. Well, I do but in a manner that we can all try to let the bad go easier. That's part of what humor is used for, softening the reality of being human and facing life as we do.

Amoeba spend eons laughing at something blocking forward motion. They're single celled organisms what live by trial, & error. Why not laugh at some funny shit right there they think, or would if given a brain.

The point being they do not stop moving forward. No, they simply alter course, keep moving forward. Good enough for them, surely good enough for me.

Might try some 12 mg nicotine juice/salts, or even 3 or 6 mg., If 18 mg is going to tear you up so bad as to cause vomitting, you'll want to avoid stronger nicotine strengths, if not nicotine all together. If you're under 21 years of age please do not vote, join the military service, drink spirits, use tobbacco, vape, get married, have any religion, have sexual intercourse. Think we ought to codify 21 as the universal age of consent, adulthood.
I would give anything get that DeLorean up to 88 and go back the two decades needed to cross that threshold needed to be at the "age of consent".

As someone who smokes almost a pack a day starting off with a PG/VG mix at 3mg was tasty but not enough to curb the craving to smoke and someone suggested that I try nic salts.

What they did not tell me is that nic salts are designed for lower wattage pod style devices.

I'm sure you could imagine my dismay as I swapped a fresh coil and squirted a tank full of 18mg salts into a "freebase" tank and took a big ol rip of semi wet cotton at about 90 watts or so.

I'm not sure how long you have been vaping for but I would not personally recommend anyone try it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
:wave: Hi, Welcome to the forum.

18 mg/ml nic in a sub ohm device is a bad time for sure.
they make 6mg for those.
it's better than 3mg for a beginner in a sub ohm tank.

Pod devices are nice because you can go from 18mg nic all the way to 50mg/ml if necessary, but the flavor is often lacking.
I use both. the pod is great for when I'm at a place where I don't want to make a bunch of huge clouds.
places like in a crowded area or in the house.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would give anything get that DeLorean up to 88 and go back the two decades needed to cross that threshold needed to be at the "age of consent".

As someone who smokes almost a pack a day starting off with a PG/VG mix at 3mg was tasty but not enough to curb the craving to smoke and someone suggested that I try nic salts.

What they did not tell me is that nic salts are designed for lower wattage pod style devices.

I'm sure you could imagine my dismay as I swapped a fresh coil and squirted a tank full of 18mg salts into a "freebase" tank and took a big ol rip of semi wet cotton at about 90 watts or so.

I'm not sure how long you have been vaping for but I would not personally recommend anyone try it.

Can "feel" you as is said. Had 35 or so years on cigarettes, half to a pack a day at times. Eight or ten years I started vaping in earnest and went right for 18 mg/ml freebase juice. Somehow I got in mind I needed that to get off the C sticks.

Been using that ever since, in pen style vapes, now in squonking with sub ohm RDAs. Recently kind of double fooled myself. Paid way too much for a juice at a local Brick & Mortar shop. Fool me once. The juice was only 6 mg/ml. Fool me twice.

Finding that if I mix the 6 mg/ml with some of my 18 mg/ml unflavored juice I get about 12 mg/ml juice. I'm finally started to see a way clear to lowering my nicotine. Have struggled to get lower than the 18 mg/ml.

I'm "wired" different since birth. I joke but there's truth to saying I was born brain damaged. Then, I'm kind of a walking, living wonder to medical science and sometimes testement to a higher power protecting fools. *chuckles* Starting to mellow out at 50, not working the shit work any more but looking at doing the next 12-15 years on "gravy train" work.

Wife says I've "earned" it, otherwise I'd still be carrying the can no matter how full. Would love knocking off 30 years too. Not sure the world could handle that. "Oh no, he's back again!!!??" LOL

"Til then, huh, I'll just keep ridin' on, ..."

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU! :cheers:

I started with 18mg way back when, but that was in eGo pens with 1.5 to 2 ohm coils.

EGo pens were a trip. Tried learning rebuild on them. Gah! "Okay, now cut a 2mm wick in half to put in a .5mm inner coil diameter." *crosses eyes, twitches*

Along came @Hank F. Spankman "psst, psst, hey, there's a "better" way, quit killing yourself figuring this junk out."

Spanky is good, Spanky is wise, Spanky save my life.

Miss you, brother.

VU Sponsors