1. VAPING UNDERGROUND VAPE BANDS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!
    CLICK HERE TO GET YOURS

Noob mistake?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - General Discussion' started by Mrwordsworth, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mrwordsworth

Mrwordsworth New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile and have been tobacco (dip) free since the summer of last year *hurray*.

Anyways, I ordered some e juice flavorings and supplies from liquid barn to brew my own and it occured to me that I have no way of sweetening my recipes. I was wanting to mix tonight and was wondering if most recipes rely on VG to sweeten the recipe or are many recipes using a sweetener?

I am very excited to start making my own juice.

Vape Fan, zephyr and Heartsdelight like this.
  2. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    If you bought the ingredients to match recipes you found online it will have everything you need

Some people like to ad extra sweeteners (many ways to do this) some never ad extra sweetness

A lot of recipes rely on the flavoring to add sweetness, like dragonfruit or marshmallow, very sweet

If you make the recipe and think it is not sweet enough, you can add Stevia - that is what most of the commercial sweeteners are actually made of anyway

3. Letitia9

Letitia9 Therion/Nano Junkie VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team

Blog Posts:
    Hello and welcome to the rabbit hole. What flavors are you using?

zephyr and Heartsdelight like this.
  4. Mrwordsworth

Mrwordsworth New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys. I'll look into making my own sweetener.

The flavors I am trying are cappuccino, vanilla ice cream, creme brulee, rainbow sherbet, vanilla creme tobacco and sweet pipe tobacco. I am very excited. I didnt order my flavors based on recipes. I am just diving in head first and seeing what happens.

zephyr, Heartsdelight and Letitia9 like this.
  5. Letitia9

Letitia9 Therion/Nano Junkie VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team

Blog Posts:
    Some of your flavors are already sweet, you probably won't need any sweetener. You may want to add some of the ice cream or creme brulee to the cappuccino if it's too strong.

zephyr and Heartsdelight like this.
  6. Just Frank

Just Frank Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Sweetener is optional most of the time. When I first started mixing I had a problem tasting actual flavors. I had been accustomed to vaping commencial liquid (Tons of sweetener in that crap). It took a while but my palate adjusted. I used sweetener because it helped me taste the mix. I still use it occasionally but very little. If I see a recipe with 1% or over sweetener, I usually add 0.1%-0.25%.

If you want sweetener I suggest Capella Super Sweet. One drop in 10-15ML is plenty.

7. Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Most flavorings are well flavored most times no need for extra sweetening. But that’s personal preference. Mix without & if you think it needs it you can always order a sweetner.

zephyr, Letitia9, RonJS and 1 other person like this.
  8. wildgypsy70

wildgypsy70 My son calls me "vape mom" VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team

Blog Posts:
    All of the above! Try it without first.....add sweetener, if you need it. Some flavors benefit from a little sweetener.

9. SteveS45

SteveS45 Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Welcome @Mrwordsworth and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

I use many of the flavors you listed from Liquid Barn and never use any sweetener IMO it is required and shortens coil life. I do have Sweetener and have never used yet. As a matter of fact I am vaping the Vanilla Cream Tobacco right now and mix it up in 120-180 ML batches all the time.

10. Mrwordsworth

Mrwordsworth New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Steve. Do you use the recommended mix percentage on liquid barn flavors or do you find that tweaking them is better?

I just got done mixing up 4, 30ml bottles. 3 were stand alone flavors and the last one I did 7% cappuccino, 2% vanilla ice creme and 2% creme brulee. I already had the vape tool pro android app for coil making and was happy that it also does juice recipes.

zephyr, Letitia9 and Heartsdelight like this.
  11. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    I usually use the recommended percentages as a guide. All LB flavors have recommendations to go by. Some if it seems high I try it with less 1st and then tweak if necessary. I always do small 12-15 ML testers because it gives me enough to try and then tweak if necessary. I use ecig vape

https://ecigvape.com

Letitia9 and Heartsdelight like this.
  12. AndriaD

AndriaD If you don't like my opinions, see above. VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Since you used dip rather than smoking, your tastebuds might not be nearly as impaired as a recent ex-smoker's are -- same as @Just Frank, I used a lot of sweetener when I first started, even sweetening pre-made juices, because that was the only way I could taste anything. After about 2-ish yrs smoke-free, I was able to start decreasing the alarming amount of sweetener I used (2.5% of TFA Sweetener, which is sucralose, not stevia), and now I don't use any.

As others have pointed out, some flavors are already sweet; some aren't, and might benefit from adding some sweetener, but since you weren't a smoker, you may not need any sweetener at all.

Andria

Letitia9 and Heartsdelight like this.
  13. Mrwordsworth

Mrwordsworth New Member

Blog Posts:
    I tried the rainbow sherbet this morning and it's just as sweet as the commercial juice I was using so that's a relief.

Are any of you guys using mixers or electronic agitators to agitate your liquid during the steeping process? I am suprised the rainbow sherbet tasted as good as it does with only about 12 hours steeping time. I imagine it will get better. I am about to run out of commercial juice though so I am going to have to vape my juice earlier than I want to.

zephyr, Letitia9 and Heartsdelight like this.
  14. Heartsdelight

Blog Posts:
    That’s fantastic! I just shake it by hand. Liquid Barn seems to be a great choice. Standalone & taste great after 1w hours is great. I only have LB Vanilla Ice Cream.

zephyr and Letitia9 like this.
  15. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    I used to use the electric mixer I got from Liquid Barn religiously but got in the habit of mixing in the bottles and heating under an incandescent desk lamp for a couple of days. Using this method even High VG flavors are ready in 3-4 days. My testing method is to shake and look at the liquid. If I can see differences in the liquid it is not totally INFUSED. I do not steep e-Liquids only my teas and prefer to call it aging and infusion which is what is technically what I am doing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    Heartsdelight and Letitia9 like this.
  16. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    I use a hand battery operated mixer. Badger paint mixer is a good one. You can find it on amazon for a good price. Milk frother is good as well.

Heartsdelight likes this.
  17. Heartsdelight

Blog Posts:
    I use to use a milk frother I got at IKEA for cheap.

Letitia9 likes this.
  18. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    One thing I would suggest of using a mixer or frothier is to not make bubbles in the liquid because air is what degrades Nicotine.

19. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    I pull air into the mix, flavor seems to pop quicker and salts nic doesn’t degrade nearly as fast as freebase.

20. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Interesting.....................

21. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I don’t remember the why but have discovered first hand it's true. Found a 120ml bottle 100mg that only had about 20ml left in it that had gotten pushed to the back of the cabinet. Had to be close to a year old, color was darker from heat but vapes great. Literally no difference in taste, potency, or smell. I was pretty impressed.

22. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    I would think even with Salts it is still Nicotine and would react the same except for throat hit naturally.

23. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Nope it doesn’t. Something about the chemical reaction when mixed with the acids.

24. Just Frank

Just Frank Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Liquid Barn does make some solid flavors. The few I have are all great. It makes me want to try more.

I got Dew Mountain recently and I think it blows TFA Citrus Punch away as far as an accurate Mtn Dew flavor.

The Vanilla Ice Cream is great. I held out too long to get it.

25. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Well I will have to take your word for it since I decided I won't be using Salt Nic. Barely any TH from the Nicotine I use and why change something if it works.

26. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear you are so happy. I have never had an LB flavor I didn't like and the only thing bad I can say bad about LB is they stopped making the Butterscotch Graham Tobacco which I really enjoyed. Spoke with them and it had something to do with the flavors but they could not elaborate as to what or why.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    Just Frank likes this.
  27. Mrwordsworth

Mrwordsworth New Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow guys, this site is great. So many good pointers in a small amount of time. Thank you very much!

SteveS45, Vape Fan and 5150sick like this.
  28. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Since Liquid Barn is my main flavor supplier I will be glad to share any of my experience with the flavors I have used or always use. Feel free to ask all I can say is I haven't tried that particular one that wouldn't be of help. Good Luck and happy mixology.