Become a Patron!

Noisy cricket lowest safe ohms

Just got a noisy cricket series box mod and I've seen where the lowest recommended resistance is .2 ohms? Guy at the vape shop built my coils to .13 ohms and just wanted to know if this was safe. I'm using two efest 3,000 mah batteries and a mutation atty. thanks for the help!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are using 2, 20 amp batteries in a series NC then you have a 20 amps draw limit. Series yields 2xbattery volts at 1xbattery amp draw. Since .13 is pulling 26amps, you are pulling over the batteries limit. Your shop guy built the atty to what the battery is rated at 35amps. Problem is those batteries have been TESTED to be safe ONLY to 20amps.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, with a 20amp limit you want to be .25ohms or higher. Just don't chain vape it, as currently set-up, and keep an eye on the switch and batteries getting hot. Those batteries are sold as 35amp, so one would think .13 should be OK...... But I would still be building a new coil(s), ASAP. You got yourself a DIY mod and ATTY, time to start DIY'ing.

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I should rebuild to about .2-.3 ohms to be safe?

No!

@jaspurgeon10 I advise you to stop using your Nosiey Cricket until you understand Ohms Law. Do your homework and learn what is safe, for your own sake. I don't want to come off as a fear monger butt munch (I'm sure someone fitting the bill will show up soon enough) but the NC is no joke. The .13 build is 3x the continuous rating of your batteries. The guy at your B&M is a clown. Start with the links @twitch99xl has provided.

Take the time to learn what is safe and then start to use the NC. It is a great mod, I own two of them myself.

@HondaDavidson you have no idea what you're talking about. Your math it totally wrong.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

No!

@jaspurgeon10 I advise you to stop using your Nosiey Cricket until you understand Ohms Law. Do your homework and learn what is safe, for your own sake. I don't want to come off as a fear monger butt munch (I'm sure someone fitting the bill will show up soon enough) but the NC is no joke. The .13 build is 3x the continuous rating of your batteries. The guy at your B&M is a clown. Start with the links @twitch99xl has provided.

Take the time to learn what is safe and then start to use the NC. It is a great mod, I own two of them myself.

@HondaDavidson you have no idea what you're talking about. Your math it totally wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would recommend staying around .5 ohms or above. .5 ohms would have you pulling around 16 amps. I don't build anything lower than that on mine, and I'm using Samsung 25r batteries. I like to leave a little bit of safety room and not push my batteries to their max. Plus, with a .5 ohm build you're pushing around 140 watts.

You can go to Steam Engine Ohm's Law and play around with the settings to see what different builds will work out to.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lmao, wait, the guy at the vape shop sold you a Noisy Cricket and then built you coils @ 0.13 ohm to put on it? Fuck man, Id never go to that shop again.

If you put fresh batteries in that NC and fire up that 0.13 coil, you are gonna be pushing over 540 watts and 64 amps. Thats triple what those batteries can safely handle. So, you know, definitely DONT use that set up, because its a lot of things, but safe aint one.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I hesitated putting a .1 on my HOG V2 (Paralleled Series Box)...I wouldnt be crazy enough to try it with half the headroom....You shouldnt be going anything lwer then .35 as its not enjoyable anyways and thats the limit I would suggest using 20a CD Batteries. I would recommend shooting for .4-.5 Ohms as thats much more enjoyable on the Series boxes.

I use Samsung 25R's and I love the vape around .36 and I like it hotter then most people.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

No!

@jaspurgeon10 I advise you to stop using your Nosiey Cricket until you understand Ohms Law. Do your homework and learn what is safe, for your own sake.
^This

Voltage / Resistance = Amperage

Amperage is the important thing for safety, you need to keep it below the Continuous Discharge Rating. So for 20 amp cells lets solve this problem.

NC is a series build, meaning double the voltage. 4.2v *2 = 8.4v

So 8.4v/XΩ = 20amps
8.4v/20amps = XΩ
X = .42Ω

That's your downward limit on 20 amp cells.

Now realistically you can push further, and some 20 amps are better than others and blah blah, these are rules put in place to make it nice and easy, follow your CDR and you can feel safe, push it and you may have problems if you don't know the potential issues. This is especially true for a hybrid top mech mod, it's already dangerous enough.

Now, I have some higher rating batteries, and I've gone down to .35Ω, and holy mother of pearl it smacked my lungs hard. I now have a .48Ω build and it's nice thick tasty clouds of warm but not hot vapor.

Anyways, I'd go back to that vape shop, and give it to the guy to vape then go hide behind a shelf, that or tell the manager there that his employee is a dumbfuck.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would recommend staying around .5 ohms or above. .5 ohms would have you pulling around 16 amps. I don't build anything lower than that on mine, and I'm using Samsung 25r batteries. I like to leave a little bit of safety room and not push my batteries to their max. Plus, with a .5 ohm build you're pushing around 140 watts.

You can go to Steam Engine Ohm's Law and play around with the settings to see what different builds will work out to.
Don't forget sag and loss, I always do my wattage expectations figuring 3.7v and safety math at 4.2v. So 110-140w somewhere in there for a fresh battery, likely closer to the 110w. Still, it's a lot of power for that resistance of a wire.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just for the fun of it. 8.4v/.13Ω=64.6amps, 8.4v*64.6amps = 542w of power, even at the more realistic 7.4v estimation it's 421w... can ya'll imagine?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just for the fun of it. 8.4v/.13Ω=64.6amps, 8.4v*64.6amps = 542w of power, even at the more realistic 7.4v estimation it's 421w... can ya'll imagine?
Ive done worse on the HOG V2...900w+, almost 750w with VD factored in though...

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive done worse on the HOG V2...900w+, almost 750w with VD factored in though...
But, you're insane, so that's understandable :bliss:

I'd actually love to try that just out of curiosity, but... not with the NC... :giggle:, did you do it on that Mason?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
But, you're insane, so that's understandable :bliss:

I'd actually love to try that just out of curiosity, but... not with the NC... :giggle:, did you do it on that Mason?
The last 2 builds I did on the Mason...Its really good for the first second and then its too hot afterwards...I still havent found the perfect build for the amount of space in that RDA yet but I will soon!

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The two best series builds I've done for a series box, alien 3x26n80/32n80 3.6id 8 wrap @.25 in a Buddah Z and quad 24n80 3.2id 14 wrap @.28 in a Temple. The lowest I've gone is .18 on my HOG. It wasn't that bad but I don't like being that low.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I do .3 on the nc, very nice vape imo. I use vtc4s though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got a noisy cricket series box mod and I've seen where the lowest recommended resistance is .2 ohms? Guy at the vape shop built my coils to .13 ohms and just wanted to know if this was safe. I'm using two efest 3,000 mah batteries and a mutation atty. thanks for the help!
First get rid of those pipe bomb eFest. You can't trust them. Stick with authentic Sony, Samsung or LG.

Then when you build stay with in the CDR, NOT the pulse rate. 0.4 is pushing it, 0.13 is just stupid low.

Additionally I'd go back to the idiot who built that for you and seriously bitch slap the idiot for trying to kill you

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I continuously build down to .1 on my Big Rig V.2..... perhaps I don't respect the wattage enough?... it's never really heat up so fast I thought I was doing anything stupid.. I've currently got .25 build on it and it seems like a slow ramp up time... am I missing something here? what if anything is ramp up time a sign of? I feel like I'm missing something here....

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I continuously build down to .1 on my Big Rig V.2..... perhaps I don't respect the wattage enough?... it's never really heat up so fast I thought I was doing anything stupid.. I've currently got .25 build on it and it seems like a slow ramp up time... am I missing something here? what if anything is ramp up time a sign of? I feel like I'm missing something here....
You have a single 18650. So 3.7 volts / .1 ohm = 37 amps, which is still too high. But not as bad as a dual series like the Noisy Cricket with 7.4 volts / .1 ohm = 74 amps.

Sent from the future with my Flux Capacitor enabled Note 5

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You have a single 18650. So 3.7 volts / .1 ohm = 37 amps, which is still too high. But not as bad as a dual series like the Noisy Cricket with 7.4 volts / .1 ohm = 74 amps.

Sent from the future with my Flux Capacitor enabled Note 5
Makes sense! 2 batteries more power on the same wire.... Science...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Taking in for a bit of voltage drop @ 4V that's still 40 Amps, so you are pushing it to say the least.
Don't build above the CDR, you're just asking to get your face blown off. For your sake I hope you're not using eFest pipe bomb's.

If you want to build that low get yourself a parallel mod.

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hope you're not using eFest pipe bomb's.
I use Imren 40A's only in the Big Rig, Which is a hybrid so it sounds like I'm walking right on the line at .1 I'll aim a bit higher from now on.. I do enjoy my face...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use Imren 40A's only in the Big Rig, Which is a hybrid so it sounds like I'm walking right on the line at .1 I'll aim a bit higher from now on.. I do enjoy my face...
Mooch testing shows

Imren Purple 40A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...only a 17A battery, damaged at 30A

So yeah, you're asking to blow your face off

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is NO 18650 that is rated to exceed 30amps. While the VTC4 is rated as that, it is not actually safe at that level and SONY has spoken adamently against it's use in vaping (they made it for other uses). The LG HB series is your best bet and at pulse ratings it's safe to exceed the CDR however it's still a bad idea considering all the variables (stuck button, accidental fires and whatever you experience). At .1Ω you're going to pull potentially 42amps, 12 amps over the highest rating, you may be able to vape it but you're in the danger zone where if shit goes bad things are going to happen. Now realistically you'll be getting more like a 3.7v charge of your battery and it'll pull 37amps, still well beyond the safety range! Want to stay safe, don't mess with the CDR. The way I view it is a 25r Samsung battery is 20amp+, a VTC4 is 25amp+, but if I want to get close or slightly exceed 30amps I better have a HB series battery, and even then I'm taking it out when I'm drinking, sleeping or leave the house, as I don't want anything happening when I'm not there to fix it immediately. Overall, single 18650 mechs aren't worth playing with below .15Ω the way I see it, yeah you might be able to get a little better experience, but if you're in a situation where you can properly look after it, why not just use a Parallel or regulated mod instead of that single battery tube.

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New batteries and box mech mod in route! Didn't get the cricket, but going for a Hollowpoint clone.. should be fun!

My face thanks you all!! I've become a much wiser vapist today!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New batteries and box mech mod in route! Didn't get the cricket, but going for a Hollowpoint clone.. should be fun!

My face thanks you all!! I've become a much wiser vapist today!
Notta problem, any question about batteries check Mooch's tests. He's on the Reddit electronic_cigarette subreddit and Facebook. I just stick with authentic Sony, Samsung and LG from known trusted suppliers. I've been getting most from Liion Wholesale.

Also do yourself a favor and get a good supply of battery wraps. They're cheap (around a dime each) and very easy to rewrap batteries.

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got wrapping materials and a couple batteries that could use it, but just haven't given it a shot yet... maybe tomorrow is the day!
I got a pair of LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A for my regulated devices, and a pair of LGHB2 18650's 1500mAh 30A for my mech-mod needs. Funny seems a lot of threads end up coming down to Ohms law... imagine that! Sorry for somewhat high-jacking the thread with my questions but the conversation was very educational for me! :)

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got wrapping materials and a couple batteries that could use it, but just haven't given it a shot yet... maybe tomorrow is the day!
I got a pair of LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A for my regulated devices, and a pair of LGHB2 18650's 1500mAh 30A for my mech-mod needs. Funny seems a lot of threads end up coming down to Ohms law... imagine that! Sorry for somewhat high-jacking the thread with my questions but the conversation was very educational for me! :)
join-the-resistance.jpg

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just curious over here I have no intention of trying this. I have seen guys with single 18650 mechs and dual parallel 18650 mechs and they build these fancy coils like alien coils or some staples or framed staples and it's resistance is like 0.07 is this not dangerous? These guys definitely do know what they doing because I think I've also seen TM (not 100% sure if it was them) and many other hardcore builders doing this. So what can you tell me about this? It is possible that you can run a 0.08 build but don't take too many pulls and watch the heat? Basically the battery won't blow up or vent if you watch the temps and don't chain vape or take long drags ?

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have seen guys with single 18650 mechs and dual parallel 18650 mechs and they build...0.07 is this not dangerous?
It sure is. Offhand, I have never heard of building to 0.07 on a single tube mech. The voltage drop and sag would make for a questionable vaping experience. 0.07 on a dual parallel? Absolutely. 0.06 is generally as low as I will go on a dual. I like to live dangerously...But only on ocassion.

These guys definitely do know what they doing...
Or do they? I would not be so sure. Being a hardcore builder does not translate into being a hardcore vaper with a wide range of vaping knowledge.

Basically the battery won't blow up or vent if you watch the temps and don't chain vape or take long drags?
Not necessarily, but more or less. If you tend to punish your cells, all I can recommend to you in terms of minimizing risk is to be wary of the IR of individual units. You can accomplish this with a reputable hobby charger, a Li-ion charger with an IR metering feature such as the Opus BT-C3100, or with a dedicated ESR metering device. Also, periodically verify that your cells are holding capacity and voltage. With IR and capacity numbers in hand, you can calculate a true C rating for a cell which you can then use to make an informed decision on how hard you want to push it (lower IR + higher capacity = lower risk).

Last edited:
I pick up this MOD new for $10.50 on a clearance sale. I did not like it. I was the problem not the Cricket. A week ago I decided to try it again. Now I love it. When I first tried it I did not understand how to use it. Six month later with a lot of reading and Coil building I understand this simple little MOD. I running a .62 OHM build in a Uwell Rafale X RDA and the Cricked works like a dream. Now I get great flavor and massive clouds, I am more into flavor than clouds. This baby works wonders for me for I am now tobacco free.

GratefulAlvin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What vape shop would build a .13 on a cricket? A terrible one, with employees who are very under informed. The worst part is, you bought a series box without having the slightest clue (or so it seems) what it's capable of and the dangers of it. Don't get me wrong I like to live on the edge, I usually run builds of .11 on my single 18650 mechs but I use quality batteries pink LG hb6s and I try to be as safe as possible when using these builds. Inform yourself, yes I sound like an asshat but sometimes people need to hear it that way, don't become a poster child of vaping bans nationwide.

VU Sponsors