Become a Patron!

no patience

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I give up! I just don't have the patience for this vape shit anymore! I mix recipes and nothing but harsh hits! the only flavor that isn't harsh as hell is pineapple! all my mixes are 100% VG and it sets my throat on fire when mixing anything other than pineapple! I try to make a coil over 1 ohm and it just wont fucking happen! 1/8 inch drill bit with 24ga nichrome wire, 16 wraps and STILL cant get above .9 ohms! over 2 months of no smoking down the drain, because im fixing to light one up! I have been building sub ohm for a while now and can pretty much nail anything sub ohm, but over 1 ohm is fucking impossible for me! WTF am I doing wrong??? UUUGGGGGGH!!! this pisses me off! Go ahead people, slam me for being inexperienced and tell me I have no business vaping in the first place! I have heard it all on here before, so I can take it! I would prefer sound advice if anyone has any, so give me your best!

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try 28 guage kanthal. Or ... buy an Aspire Nautilus and enjoy their twist and spit 1.6 or 1.8 ohm magic.

Enjoy your pineapple. Plenty of folks sell juice premixed - a lot of it is really tasty.

Hope you change your mind.

Toyotaslave

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Freemind is on point. Hang in there buddy. No sense in quitting now. Don't cave in to big tobacco ever again. Along with trying new builds and wire types, play around with recipes. There are some good recipes here: http://dot1ml.com/

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try 28 guage kanthal. Or ... buy an Aspire Nautilus and enjoy their twist and spit 1.6 or 1.8 ohm magic.

Enjoy your pineapple. Plenty of folks sell juice premixed - a lot of it is really tasty.

Hope you change your mind.
Im just having a bad night and needed a vent. Im sure its user error, I just have to figure it out. I cant understand the harsh hits though.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
According to steam-engine.org, it looks like the problem is that you are using nichrome wire.

There are several types of nichrome, but all of them showed at over 20 wraps for 1.5 ohms using a 3.175mm mandrel

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Fatter wire = less resistance.
What do you think is for above ohm vaping, 26-28ga? I need to get to that sweet spot on these flavors in order to find out if that is causing the harsh hits.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
According to steam-engine.org, it looks like the problem is that you are using nichrome wire.

There are several types of nichrome, but all of them showed at over 20 wraps for 1.5 ohms using a 3.175mm mandrel
Ok, thank you :)

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What do you think is for above ohm vaping, 26-28ga? I need to get to that sweet spot on these flavors in order to find out if that is causing the harsh hits.
Also, what NIC level are you using and is it a dripper or tank?

I generally use 28ga Kanthal A1 from Lightning Vapes for my builds using a regulated ZNA 30 clone at about 12.5 watts on average. Right now I actually like a 1 ohm build just because of the ramp up time and warmth.

Steam-engine.org also has calculators for figuring out your wattage and battery drain info as well.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The nichrome is going to thrash your shit if you are not used to it.
28- ga a-1 kanthal.
What % of flavor are you using?

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, what NIC level are you using and is it a dripper or tank?

I generally use 28ga Kanthal A1 from Lightning Vapes for my builds using a regulated ZNA 30 clone at about 12.5 watts on average. Right now I actually like a 1 ohm build just because of the ramp up time and warmth.

Steam-engine.org also has calculators for figuring out your wattage and battery drain info as well.
Its a dripper and my nic is 100ml @ 100%VG and 12mg/ml mix

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From what little I know of NiChrome wire, it's not what I would use. I don't think it's good for a hot vape.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The nichrome is going to thrash your shit if you are not used to it.
28- ga a-1 kanthal.
What % of flavor are you using?
Just depends on the mix. The last mix was 10%, 5%, 5%. Its what the recipe calls for, but I'm gonna lower it once I get to a higher ohm and find the sweet spot for the flavor mixture.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
12 is pretty HIGH for dripping. I drip 8 and people think I'm nuts.

I'm backing it down to about 3 MG
I really need to lower considering I am vaping more than I have been. I'm borderline chain vaping with the dripper, lol! I vape mostly with the Atlantis after I rewick it.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm surprised that people here said you have no business vaping.
Sure, there are a few asshats floating around, but, as you've seen from this thread, most VUndergrounders are very helpful.
Hang in there. Do your homework. Ask questions when ya need to and, pretty soon, you'll be the one helping out a newbie.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Something that I saw someone post about recently is that they actually have a sensitivity to VG. Have you tried using a PG/VG blend?

PG is supposed to be a better flavor carrier too, so it might help your DIY mixes.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm surprised that people here said you have no business vaping.
Sure, there are a few asshats floating around, but, as you've seen from this thread, most VUndergrounders are very helpful.
Hang in there. Do your homework. Ask questions when ya need to and, pretty soon, you'll be the one helping out a newbie.
I see that :) Everyone has been extremely helpful here! Its a big difference from the usual asshats I have dealt with on VU, lol!

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Something that I saw someone post about recently is that they actually have a sensitivity to VG. Have you tried using a PG/VG blend?

PG is supposed to be a better flavor carrier too, so it might help your DIY mixes.
PG is too throaty for me so I switched to just VG and its much better. Now I just have to figure out why my FA flavors are vaping harsh. I hope it's just a coil issue. It doesn't taste like its burning the juice, it's just harsh as hell.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I really need to lower considering I am vaping more than I have been. I'm borderline chain vaping with the dripper, lol! I vape mostly with the Atlantis after I rewick it.

You need to cut your nic in half, in a dripper, from a tank/clearo. Dripping delivers MORE juice and a hotter vape delivers nic faster. Too much nic can make your throat sore and raw, as well as make you puke.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are used to using a tank you definitely will taste and feel a difference with a dripper. I have a Stilare dripper and don't enjoy it very much so I mainly only use it when I'm working on a new mix for tasting.

I now only use my Kayfun and Orchid tanks.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are used to using a tank you definitely will taste and feel a difference with a dripper. I have a Stilare dripper and don't enjoy it very much so I mainly only use it when I'm working on a new mix for tasting.

I now only use my Kayfun and Orchid tanks.
I too have the Stillare Dripper! I usually use it for sampling flavors, and that's what I did tonight, but I feel I need to increase the ohms for the sweet spot. I mixed a Caramel Cappuccino, all FA and it burned like hell! almost like smoking paper, lol! I vaped the dripper for a long time before I got the tank. The tank is a lot more convenient.

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I too have the Stillare Dripper! I usually use it for sampling flavors, and that's what I did tonight, but I feel I need to increase the ohms for the sweet spot. I mixed a Caramel Cappuccino, all FA and it burned like hell! almost like smoking paper, lol!

You sure it wasn't the cotton from not being juiced well enough?

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You sure it wasn't the cotton from not being juiced well enough?
Oh yeah. I primed it really good. I was just using the paper statement as a comparison. It didn't taste burnt, it was just harsh.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I give up! I just don't have the patience for this vape shit anymore! I mix recipes and nothing but harsh hits! the only flavor that isn't harsh as hell is pineapple! all my mixes are 100% VG and it sets my throat on fire when mixing anything other than pineapple! I try to make a coil over 1 ohm and it just wont fucking happen! 1/8 inch drill bit with 24ga nichrome wire, 16 wraps and STILL cant get above .9 ohms! over 2 months of no smoking down the drain, because im fixing to light one up! I have been building sub ohm for a while now and can pretty much nail anything sub ohm, but over 1 ohm is fucking impossible for me! WTF am I doing wrong??? UUUGGGGGGH!!! this pisses me off! Go ahead people, slam me for being inexperienced and tell me I have no business vaping in the first place! I have heard it all on here before, so I can take it! I would prefer sound advice if anyone has any, so give me your best!
Use 28-32ga Kanthal.. And maybe go up a size in diameter too..

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
SMALLER wire = more resistance.. :) Smaller wire means a higher gauge number. 24ga is bigger than 30ga.
yeah, I knew the wire size difference, I just wasn't paying too good attention to the resistance of the different wires. Ohms law is quite confusing at times, lol.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Up the diameter to like 3mm, cut the nic to 3-6.. I just did an accidental 36 mg drip and I did an impression of the chinese dude from raider of the lost arc.
12mg in a drip can like your throat up.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
PG is too throaty for me so I switched to just VG and its much better. Now I just have to figure out why my FA flavors are vaping harsh. I hope it's just a coil issue. It doesn't taste like its burning the juice, it's just harsh as hell.
I haven't used FA flavorings yet, but from what I have seen in the DIY section it sounds like you might be using to much because they seem to be a bit stronger than some other companies.

Do the recipes that you have tried specifically call for FA flavorings?

I personally ignore any recipe that does not clearly state which company's flavorings were used because they do not all taste the same or equate to the same percentage requirements.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Up the diameter to like 3mm, cut the nic to 3-6.. I just did an accidental 36 mg drip and I did an impression of the chinese dude from raider of the lost arc.
12mg in a drip can like your throat up.
Now that would have been fun to watch! Lol! I definitely will drop the nic level, not only for that, but I need to get off the stuff anyways. It works good for me in the Atlantis, but it's got to be effecting the flavors, among other things.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't used FA flavorings yet, but from what I have seen in the DIY section it sounds like you might be using to much because they seem to be a bit stronger than some other companies.

Do the recipes that you have tried specifically call for FA flavorings?

I personally ignore any recipe that does not clearly state which company's flavorings were used because they do not all taste the same or equate to the same percentage requirements.
I got some of the recipes from @HeadInClouds, and they do call for FA. I have heard nothing but good things about FA flavorings. one thing is that they are just about the best flavors out there. I have vaped other people's mixes with FA and they were spot on.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got some of the recipes from @HeadInClouds, and they do call for FA. I have heard nothing but good things about FA flavorings. one thing is that they are just about the best flavors out there. I have vaped other people's mixes with FA and they were spot on.
Yeah, I hear great things about HICs recipes, but I have at least a year supply of TFA because I bought a bunch of stuff after hearing that they were top notch, but now that I've really dug through a lot of recipes and know who the major players are in the DIY section, they mostly call for FA so I'll be switching after I finally run out of what I already have.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I hear great things about HICs recipes, but I have at least a year supply of TFA because I bought a bunch of stuff after hearing that they were top notch, but now that I've really dug through a lot of recipes and know who the major players are in the DIY section, they mostly call for FA so I'll be switching after I finally run out of what I already have.
I will get the mixes right eventually. I just have to get my build above 1 ohm first and then cut the percentages in half on the recipes. Then if I need to, I can always add flavor to it. It's easier that way, instead of mixing too much then dumping it because you can't take flavor out of the mix :)

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will get the mixes right eventually. I just have to get my build above 1 ohm first and then cut the percentages in half on the recipes. Then if I need to, I can always add flavor to it. It's easier that way, instead of mixing too much then dumping it because you can't take flavor out of the mix :)
You don't need to dump it unless you truly trashed it like I did once when I started off with 5% spearmint and quickly learned that 1% is more than enough if not to much!

If you use eJuiceMeUp http://ejuice.breaktru.com/ and notepad, what I do when I'm tweaking a recipe is after the first batch (typically 10 or 15ml) I write down the percent and mls of each ingredient and then adjust the percentage of the flavor I want to change and recalculate using a batch size that is large enough to accomodate the change.

Mine gets more complicated than that because I normally use a 50/50 mix and always have to account for the PG that is already in the mix because most of the flavorings I use are all PG based so if I increase one, it lowers the required PG and I have to tweak the batch size until I get it large enough to keep the PG the same based on what is already in the mix.

BTW, you do realize that the flavors use PG and that your Nic might be PG based as well? Could be that some of your harshness is because your mix is really down in the 60/40 or 70/30 range just because of the PG in the flavors and nic... which would make a big difference if you are sensitive to PG.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You don't need to dump it unless you truly trashed it like I did once when I started off with 5% spearmint and quickly learned that 1% is more than enough if not to much!

If you use eJuiceMeUp http://ejuice.breaktru.com/ and notepad, what I do when I'm tweaking a recipe is after the first batch (typically 10 or 15ml) I write down the percent and mls of each ingredient and then adjust the percentage of the flavor I want to change and recalculate using a batch size that is large enough to accomodate the change.

Mine gets more complicated than that because I normally use a 50/50 mix and always have to account for the PG that is already in the mix because most of the flavorings I use are all PG based so if I increase one, it lowers the required PG and I have to tweak the batch size until I get it large enough to keep the PG the same based on what is already in the mix.

BTW, you do realize that the flavors use PG and that your Nic might be PG based as well? Could be that some of your harshness is because your mix is really down in the 60/40 or 70/30 range just because of the PG in the flavors and nic... which would make a big difference if you are sensitive to PG.
Well, my nic is 100%VG, and the FA flavors don't have any PG, that I know of. At least it's not specified on the bottles. I normally mix 70VG/30PG or 80VG/20PG. Lately I have switched to max VG.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, my nic is 100%VG, and the FA flavors don't have any PG, that I know of. At least it's not specified on the bottles. I normally mix 70VG/30PG or 80VG/20PG. Lately I have switched to max VG.
You might want to make a post asking about the PG content of the FA. I know with TFA, unless it states that it is VG or alcohol, it is PG.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sorry, you may already have answered this! If you're using FA, what total percentage of flavorings are you using in your mixes? There are some awesome FA recipes posted here, and none of them should be harsh. I don't think I make any FA recipes over 8 or rarely 9%, so if you're using VG nic your mixes should come out to at least 90% VG, which should be very smooth.

Sounds like the other issues with wire and wire gauge have been covered!

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, you may already have answered this! If you're using FA, what total percentage of flavorings are you using in your mixes? There are some awesome FA recipes posted here, and none of them should be harsh. I don't think I make any FA recipes over 8 or rarely 9%, so if you're using VG nic your mixes should come out to at least 90% VG, which should be very smooth.

Sounds like the other issues with wire and wire gauge have been covered!
Well, the mix I made was 10% at the highest. The rest of the recipe flavors were at 5% and 4%. I think its a combination of the mix being too high and the coil build is sub ohm. I need lighter gauge wire so I can increase the ohm level in order to hit the sweet spot. Hopefully that combination of things will set it straight. If it doesn't, I don't know what else to do, except come back to this thread for more guidance.

Tank63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You might want to make a post asking about the PG content of the FA. I know with TFA, unless it states that it is VG or alcohol, it is PG.
From what I hear, true TFA flavors don't use VG in them, just PG. Good idea on the FA post. I will do that now :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I hear, true TFA flavors don't use VG in them, just PG. Good idea on the FA post. I will do that now :)

Most, but not all. Some are alcohol based.

Those flavors shouldn't be harsh when you subohm - but your nic level may be too high for that, perhaps?

VU Sponsors