Become a Patron!

nitecore d series and 20700 batteries

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
does the 20700 battery fit in a d2 or d4 nitecore charger? if not wtf... why did vaperz cloud offer a 20700 mod? I'm after the copper xxx but if I can't charge a 20700 in my chargers than that mod is useless to me, even if it uses 18650 batts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not thinking so but I could be wrong. Battery sizes are broke down by the two number sets, so 18650's are 18mm diameter and 65mm length. 20700's I'd imagine to be 20mm diameter and 70mm length. A review from candlepower forums says the max length for batteries is 69.3mm so that's really pushing it. Sounds like that's with the slider fully mashed to the wall of the charger and a situation where batteries that close in length would be such a tight fit they'd be a pia to place in the charger even if they did fit and likely risk damaging the wrap.

Max length for batteries listed on that review suggest 17670's or 67mm length (give or take, some 18650's are 65.2mm long). Nothing in the xx700 range.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Review-of-Charger-NiteCore-Intellicharger-D4

This is a quote from a Mooch review I spotted on Phil Busardo's site. -
"While this cell will only fit in a custom battery sled it did just fit in the Xtar and Efest chargers I tested it in. I cannot say if it will fit in any 18650 charger."
http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/archives/14693

There are a variety of 18650 chargers to choose from but each charger is its own device with its own limitations on which batteries it will work with. I assume you'd have to base mod choices on what batteries they take and reference with your charger's capabilities to make sure everything fits. Especially when straying away from standard 18650's or even newer inclusions of 26650's going with something that's not standard or the norm at all with 20700's. Maybe if they become more popular chargers will adapt.

One question could be why sell batteries that don't fit a charger but why would a mod company decide to use such a strange battery? Especially when 18650's and 26650's are more common. That almost sets them up to the oddball and reduce chances of compatibility with existing hardware. It's a bummer they didn't stick with what's already being used.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
does the 20700 battery fit in a d2 or d4 nitecore charger? if not wtf... why did vaperz cloud offer a 20700 mod? I'm after the copper xxx but if I can't charge a 20700 in my chargers than that mod is useless to me, even if it uses 18650 batts.

I believe the folks at the other place in the Catfish Atty thread said they will fit in a Nitecore d2 or d4, just barely though.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My i4 manual says they'll fit. They are only 5mm longer than 18650's and 26650's.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh hell, you said "d4". :oops: Well that sucks that they fit fine in the cheaper nitecore charger. Looks like with a good 6 or 7mm to spare, too.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not thinking so but I could be wrong. Battery sizes are broke down by the two number sets, so 18650's are 18mm diameter and 65mm length. 20700's I'd imagine to be 20mm diameter and 70mm length. A review from candlepower forums says the max length for batteries is 69.3mm so that's really pushing it. Sounds like that's with the slider fully mashed to the wall of the charger and a situation where batteries that close in length would be such a tight fit they'd be a pia to place in the charger even if they did fit and likely risk damaging the wrap.

Max length for batteries listed on that review suggest 17670's or 67mm length (give or take, some 18650's are 65.2mm long). Nothing in the xx700 range.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Review-of-Charger-NiteCore-Intellicharger-D4

This is a quote from a Mooch review I spotted on Phil Busardo's site. -
"While this cell will only fit in a custom battery sled it did just fit in the Xtar and Efest chargers I tested it in. I cannot say if it will fit in any 18650 charger."
http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/archives/14693

There are a variety of 18650 chargers to choose from but each charger is its own device with its own limitations on which batteries it will work with. I assume you'd have to base mod choices on what batteries they take and reference with your charger's capabilities to make sure everything fits. Especially when straying away from standard 18650's or even newer inclusions of 26650's going with something that's not standard or the norm at all with 20700's. Maybe if they become more popular chargers will adapt.

One question could be why sell batteries that don't fit a charger but why would a mod company decide to use such a strange battery? Especially when 18650's and 26650's are more common. That almost sets them up to the oddball and reduce chances of compatibility with existing hardware. It's a bummer they didn't stick with what's already being used.
I need to log back into CPF and get caught up. I know nothing about 20700 and just the fact that VC released a mod with, what seems to me like a new battery type... battery doesn't fit normal chargers... a lot of us folks use nitecore chargers... Maybe not all of you but I know a lot who do and they never fail. never over charged a battery causing a fire ect.

I've decided that xxx mod is not for me based off the design, price and what battery it is built for. I'll give it a few months before I push the BUY IT Now button... that's too bad because tmrw their releasing the copper xxx 2pm EST. I'll spend my money on a cool Moloch mech instead :)

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The battery size has something to do with the Amp draw. A longer cathode allows it to have a higher Amp draw (I heard someone intelligent say it once so I am going with it) and thats the reason 26650s are essentially the same as 18650s for amps ....they are the same length. These newer batteries are made for electric bicycles originally (20700s and 21700s) to be used in the battery packs that power them. But because they have the larger capacity and power potential without a massive size difference its highly likely they will be turning up in other consumer electronics and in power tools.

VU Sponsors