Become a Patron!

Nicotine is Neuroprotective. *mind blown*

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm lucky. One of my old friends from high school is a Neuroscience PhD. on the faculty at freakin' Georgetown. So if you are reading this, chances are, he's smarter than you :).

Anyway, I got him into vaping (which he thanks me greatly for), and in our passing conversation, Dr. Pat (I'll just call him that) talked about the neurological benefits of nicotine. I was floored when he mentioned this.

Obviously, you don't want to get your nicotine from tobacco, because the bad outweighs the good. But he states there is rather clear evidence that isolated nicotine can slow the rate of neural cell death, and possible even enhance focus and cognition.

There's a lot of dense peer-reviewed research on this, but I won't direct you there, because that junk is boring and almost incomprehensible unless you work in the sciences (like us nerds me and Dr. Pat.)

But here's a well written article for the layperson, explaining how nicotine may prevent or reduce the rate of neurological disorders like Parkinson's, schizophrenia, cognitive impairment, etc...

http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix

Fascinating stuff. Vaping (with nicotine) could be more than just a way to toss aside the dangers of smoking. It could actually be beneficial to your health!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you TVC, didn't read it all right now but I did bookmark it for reading later.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I could have told you this 20+ years ago.
I never could understand the Dr. thinking of telling elderly patients who had smoked every fucking day since they were like 6 and drank coffee that at 70+ years old they could no longer do either.
Trust me a cig and a cup of joe goes a long way with mellowing the dementia patients that smoked forever.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't need your trust, I see it every day at work...

Smoking still sucks though. COPD's a bitch. And while sometimes true, we often fall into the stereotype that the elderly refuse to change. Some may be that way, but who knows, maybe a few of them would be willing to try a vape and not a stog... couldn't hurt to offer, right?

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't need your trust, I see it every day at work...

Smoking still sucks though. COPD's a bitch. And while sometimes true, we often fall into the stereotype that the elderly refuse to change. Some may be that way, but who knows, maybe a few of them would be willing to try a vape and not a stog... couldn't hurt to offer, right?

One of my favorite customers smoked for almost 70 years. (Yes, 70 years!!) His daughter dragged him into our shop about 4 months ago. He definitely had his doubts about vaping but now he's almost like a kid - constantly trying new flavors, etc. etc. He's thrilled with his evod mega and 18mg/ml eliquid - perfectly happy with it, doesn't want anything bigger.

So, yes, it can be done.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those are wonderful stories. Great to see that even in advanced age, people are open to change, especially ones that will improve your health. Keep 'em coming!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yup, one of the Doctors that weighed in on the PHE paper. Stated there was reason to believe Nicotine could help slow Alzheimer's and other neurological issues. And they are doing research in that area now.

It will be interesting to see where that leads.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Many old cultures used tobacco and it's alkaloids as a medicine. From the Inca's to the Hopi, Persian's to folks in China. It only became really bad when big tobacco scientists began to add "flavoring additives" to tobacco to enhance their flavor and boost the addictive properties of the alkaloids in tobacco.

VapeDogg22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm lucky. One of my old friends from high school is a Neuroscience PhD. on the faculty at freakin' Georgetown. So if you are reading this, chances are, he's smarter than you :).

Anyway, I got him into vaping (which he thanks me greatly for), and in our passing conversation, Dr. Pat (I'll just call him that) talked about the neurological benefits of nicotine. I was floored when he mentioned this.

Obviously, you don't want to get your nicotine from tobacco, because the bad outweighs the good. But he states there is rather clear evidence that isolated nicotine can slow the rate of neural cell death, and possible even enhance focus and cognition.

There's a lot of dense peer-reviewed research on this, but I won't direct you there, because that junk is boring and almost incomprehensible unless you work in the sciences (like us nerds me and Dr. Pat.)

But here's a well written article for the layperson, explaining how nicotine may prevent or reduce the rate of neurological disorders like Parkinson's, schizophrenia, cognitive impairment, etc...

http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix

Fascinating stuff. Vaping (with nicotine) could be more than just a way to toss aside the dangers of smoking. It could actually be beneficial to your health!

Very interesting stuff... I relate to the section of the article that stated "people have a hard time separating Nicotine from Cigarettes." It's important to remember that the tobacco, tar, and endless chemicals were merely a dangerous host for nicotine itself.

Last edited:

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Many old cultures used tobacco and it's alkaloids as a medicine. From the Inca's to the Hopi, Persian's to folks in China. It only became really bad when big tobacco scientists began to add "flavoring additives" to tobacco to enhance their flavor and boost the addictive properties of the alkaloids in tobacco.

Well yes, fair point. Perhaps the OP should have been more clear to state that you don't want to get nicotine from cigarettes specifically. And as a person whose faith in Western Medicine is waning by the day, I certainly support the cultural healing methods of other parts of the world.

But yes, the enemy is big tobacco, not tobacco intrinsically. I fear the day they successfully lobby Washington to start regulating and taxing the vape industry. That's the day I convert my mod into a taser :p. AND THE REAL CRUSADE WILL BEGIN!

VU Sponsors