Become a Patron!

Nic Percentages Disaster

Brand new to diy and i think i made an epic mistake. I was making a pretty big batch of a delicious ejuice but I messed up on the amount of nicotine to use.
This is what I was trying to make:
1000 ml total amount.
Target Nic level: 12
Was supposed to use 100% mg/ml nicotine. I even calculated all that into the ejuice calculator. HOWEVER, instead of using the 100 mg/ml, I accidentally used 6 mg/ml nicotine...
What can I do to salvage this? I definitely do not want to throw out this 1000 ml I just made... please help!!!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like you have no idea what you are doing.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So, you have 100mg/ml nic AND 6mg/ml nic on hand? So you basically made 1000mls of 6mg nic base. Am I understanding this correctly? I want to help you, but want to be clear before I go further. Based on that you want to increase the base from 6mg to 12mg.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
dilute to desired concentration. easy fix
Diluting isn't going to help, quite the opposite. He says he thought he used 100 mg per 1000 ml (not per mil) when in fact he was using 6mg. Okay, I'm a cynical person and often wonder when really silly things like this get posted if I'm not just getting my leg pulled, but let's just assume this is a serious question and for some reason someone who doesn't have a clue about DIY has at hand both 6mg nic concentrate and 100mg nic concentrate. So the answer is add more nic obviously, not too complicated. That's going to dilute it some so if it mutes the flavor, add more flavor. Not sure why someone who doesn't seem to have a clue about how to DIY is mixing 1000ml in the first place, but the first step in DIY is to learn the math. That 6mg of nic in his 1000ml of juice is probably not even noticeable, so just add the 100mg now. Worst that can happen is that is comes out 14mg instead of 12.

brassyhorn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oh i see..thought his concentration was too high. either way, add whatever ingredient needed for desired concentration. simple math.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
oh i see..thought his concentration was too high. either way, add whatever ingredient needed for desired concentration. simple math.
Yeah, his concentration is way too low, like 94% too low. Personally my advice is, if you don't know how to diy then don't diy. Study and learn first. If you find yourself in this position and can't figure out the answer for yourself, you shouldn't have been diying in the first place. But that's just me. By all means, if someone wants to do the math for him, go right ahead.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Diluting isn't going to help, quite the opposite. He says he thought he used 100 mg per 1000 ml (not per mil) when in fact he was using 6mg. Okay, I'm a cynical person and often wonder when really silly things like this get posted if I'm not just getting my leg pulled, but let's just assume this is a serious question and for some reason someone who doesn't have a clue about DIY has at hand both 6mg nic concentrate and 100mg nic concentrate. So the answer is add more nic obviously, not too complicated. That's going to dilute it some so if it mutes the flavor, add more flavor. Not sure why someone who doesn't seem to have a clue about how to DIY is mixing 1000ml in the first place, but the first step in DIY is to learn the math. That 6mg of nic in his 1000ml of juice is probably not even noticeable, so just add the 100mg now. Worst that can happen is that is comes out 14mg instead of 12.
Attacking the guy isn't going to help him. He's wanting help. That's what the forum is for. YES people need to understand what they're doing when working with nic, but we're also here to help them with that. If he's pulling anyone's leg or not, someone might get some needed info out of us trying to help, rather than attack. I'd hate to see people afraid to ask anything. I had tons of questions when I started out, I did a lot of research, too. Asking is the best way to find out, even if someone thinks the question's been asked a million times.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Attacking the guy isn't going to help him. He's wanting help. That's what the forum is for. YES people need to understand what they're doing when working with nic, but we're also here to help them with that. If he's pulling anyone's leg or not, someone might get some needed info out of us trying to help, rather than attack. I'd hate to see people afraid to ask anything. I had tons of questions when I started out, I did a lot of research, too. Asking is the best way to find out, even if someone thinks the question's been asked a million times.
I'm sorry, I know it seems like I'm attacking him, but how about if he does this in reverse and mistakes his 100mg for 6mg and kills himself? My point is the guy isn't at any point where he should be mixing up a batch like that in the first place. The best advice I can give him is to study and learn first before attempting DIY for his own safety. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is my position on this.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No, I fully agree with study and learn, and I also fully see your point had the situation been reversed, thankfully, that wasn't the case! Thank you for clarifying your stance on this. I just wanna help where I can/if I can. If I seemed snappy, I apologize for that, too. I'm all for people being safe with DIY, so thanks again for that part. That can't be said enough.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, I fully agree with study and learn, and I also fully see your point had the situation been reversed, thankfully, that wasn't the case! Thank you for clarifying your stance on this. I just wanna help where I can/if I can. If I seemed snappy, I apologize for that, too. I'm all for people being safe with DIY, so thanks again for that part. That can't be said enough.
Don't worry, huck, you're cool in my book. I am overly cautious though. If you take the OP literally, he has 100 mg/ml concentrate (that's what it says in his post). The normal concentrate is 100mg/1000ml (not 100mg/1ml), but if we take his post literally, he's playing around with PURE nicotine. It's easy to assume he's just making a mistake, and that he really means 100 per 1000, but what if he's not? All it would take is for one person to get some bad advice here who kills himself doing something that someone here recommended, for the ANTZ to be all over this place. Mistaking 6mg for 100mg is just not acceptable by anyone's standards. If he's capable of making an error like that, then he should stop DIYing, IMMEDIATELY.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, no. I'm not ever gonna suggest anyone use the Pure stuff. NO WAY. I'll leave that stuff to the pros and buy their dilution. And he has 6mg nic? Why would you have that if you wanna make 12 anyway? He either went to bed or disappeared, anyway.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It takes 120ml of 100mg base nic to make it 12mg content for 1000ml.

Are you saying you used a 6mg base nic? Instead of a 100mg base nic?...was this something you diluted yourself from 100mg base nic and just used the wrong bottle of nic?

No one wants to help poison you, so you need to be very specific on what it is you mixed...we dont care about the flavors or some secret recipe but we need to know exactly what base mg nic you used in your batch.

What makes no sense is it would take 2000ml of 6mg base to make something 12mg content and it also shows on the calculator a minus 1200 vg content....so something isnt correct.

If you used 100mg base as i said it takes 120ml of it in a 1000ml batch to make it 12mg of nic content...So you would have had to only put in 60ml of 100mg base for it to be 6mg content...If this is the case then you need to add 60 more ml of 100mg base to bring it up to 12mg content....so know you have 1060ml of e juice.

Thanks everybody for your concern. I thought I knew the basics but apparently I was wrong. I just never made a mistake of this magnitude and freaked out. Me asking for a solution to something that is so simple for the DIYers here proves my lack of knowledge. I'll study extensively to avoid this mistake again.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just make sure it is not pure nic.. there is not wiggle room with it from diddling to deadly.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Mistakes happen and when I eventually get into DIY I shudder to think of what mistakes I might make.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
100mg/1ml is 10 percent nic...6mg/ml is .6 percent nic. That is a HUGE difference...I wouldn't be working with anything over 24mg nic for safety till you make a few batches and really get the hang of basic mixing...just my two cents...

There is no realistic way to undo what's been done if I understand the OP correctly. Anyone who is starting out with DIY should start with a premix base of their desired level....so if you want 12mg liquid than buy 12mg base. DIY can seem simple at first glace but it is really easy to make a mistake and overnic yourself effectively poisoning yourself of something worse. And 100mg nic is nasty stuff...if you don't take the proper precautions like wearing gloves and working in a well ventilated area you can poison yourself just from the fumes or skin contact if you don't have a really high tolerance to begin with. I gave myself a few headaches when I was starting out thinking I would be fine and didn't need to worry about gloves and stuff. Stupid lesson learned the hard way.

Unforchinately...if I understand the OP right...you mixed up a liter of 6 mg liquid and there isn't really an easy way of saving it....you'd have to add more nic and then add more flavor and more pg/vg and you're working with such a huge amount of everything that you'd more than likely end up wasting more than you have trying to balance everything out trying to get the flavor right and it's safer to just scrub it and start over.. Always start off making small batches...like 10 or 15 ml. I've still got bottles from a year ago I had to throw away that I was sure I would vape threw that the nic level is too high and I can't vape the stuff now without getting a headache.

DIY is all about baby steps...small mixes....flavors are going to change greatly over the first two weeks if the bottle lasts that long from steeping alone. Always make sure you have a nic level test kit and know how to use it. You can purchase one from these places.

http://www.eliquidtest.com/
http://nudenicotine.com/

It's not as common as it used to be but there was a time that people would order one nic level base and they would get something different from what they ordered. I am not saying you can not trust vendors, I am saying better to double check everything and be safe rather than sorry. And it's good to check your mixes as well to make sure your math is on, even if you use a calculator....Safety my friend. Better to ask questions, no matter how far fetched they may seem, and double check things and be safe than end up poisoning yourself.

VU Sponsors