Become a Patron!

Newbie Question

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have a Big Baby Beast with an RBA and I just bought a Coilart Mage Combo. I've been buying pre-coiled wires and these always (usually) have a recommendation on the package on what watts to use. I'm using variable wattage mods, an Alien & a Predator, so my wattage isn't limited by E²/R. If I'm spinning my own coils how do I know what watts to use min/max & what watts range would be "best"?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Here is what I have always done.

Start at a very low wattage and gradually increase the power until you like the flavor and the vapor that you are getting.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Here is what I have always done.

Start at a very low wattage and gradually increase the power until you like the flavor and the vapor that you are getting.

Thanks RJ. Well that's what I do too. But it's not very scientific. I thought there might be a formulaic method available to determine this.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks RJ. Well that's what I do too. But it's not very scientific. I thought there might be a formulaic method available to determine this.

It's science at its best: experimentation

You get what is best for you - everyone is different in what we like

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Is there a safe upper limit. Like if I am running double coils in parallel an am reading 0.5Ω and pumping 70W my volts are 5.92. Is that OK?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Uncle is right although I do find there are boundaries which you kind of learn as you go

As an example I can have different set ups side by side

One single coil simple wrap
One dual coil fused clapton
One single coil twisted

All come in at 0.15ohm but I won't vape them at the same wattage each requires different wattage to heat the coils ...there is a scientific approach to it, in fact you can use steam engine wire wizard which gives you the heat flux of the proposed build depending on its mass and surface area but i never use it, start low and work up to where you are happy. You soon remember what's what for each wire, build and coil type and go from there

I'll note down wattage I like coils at as well if I'm cycling through different gear unless I use a memory function on a mod

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Is there a safe upper limit. Like if I am running double coils in parallel an am reading 0.5Ω and pumping 70W my volts are 5.92. Is that OK?

Most regulated mods limit voltage output to 6v max

A 0.5 Ohm build will be pretty hot around 5.92v build you'll know your vaping that for sure! The issue here though is battery cut out will kick in quickly and you'll find the mods in built protections limit you a little

0.15ohm you'll get nearer the full range of the battery life

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks all!!
Actually I did try that build as low as 35W and up to 75W. I settled for 50W. That seems to be close to my desired effect. I'm running Clapton 26g + 32g (7 wrap 2.5mm) that are supposed to be 0.4Ω in a dual configuration. They're reading between 0.496 & 0.503, so close enough to 0.5Ω. I'm really not liking these coils that much.
I had SS Clapton 26g*2 + 30g (9 wrap 3mm) that were supposed to be 0.4Ω in dual and these were almost spot on. I liked those much more. They have way superior vape production & flavour.
They're both 0.4Ω coils and the former says 55-75W while the latter says 80-110W.
I was just wondering where these wattage ranges come from.

VU Sponsors