Become a Patron!

Newb review: Captain Jack by Halo

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Background: new vaper who has smoked a pipe periodically in the past, and currently have a coolerdor of cigars. I smoke maybe a cigar every two weeks.

I picked up Halo's Captain Jack and Black Calico to see if either would scratch the pipe itch without the ashtray mouth.

To Captain Jack is dominated by a molasses flavor only less sweet. Tobacco under that, I guess, but leaning toward a grainy sorghum taste. Wet rattan? The smell of heated rosin or amber?

I used to smoke the Captain Black that (one assumes) this is inspired and I don't find this expression satisfying. Worse, I don't think the smell would be particularly nice for non-smokers nearby whereas Captain Black could cause the most rabid anti-smoker to lean in for a whiff and a flash memory of their grandfather.

I don't think I will re-order it based on this experience. Add in the cost of $5.99 for 7ml and it isn't a good value for me. Maybe there's a thread where people exchange bottles of stuff they bought but don't really like. I'll look around.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know of any vendors that work with captain flavoring.

I am a DIYer and I work with it. Not that I ever smoked pipe tobacco, but I do like the taste/smell of captain. I have never added molasses to my tobacco flavors. Sounds hinkey.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Background: new vaper who has smoked a pipe periodically in the past, and currently have a coolerdor of cigars. I smoke maybe a cigar every two weeks.

I picked up Halo's Captain Jack and Black Calico to see if either would scratch the pipe itch without the ashtray mouth.

To Captain Jack is dominated by a molasses flavor only less sweet. Tobacco under that, I guess, but leaning toward a grainy sorghum taste. Wet rattan? The smell of heated rosin or amber?

I used to smoke the Captain Black that (one assumes) this is inspired and I don't find this expression satisfying. Worse, I don't think the smell would be particularly nice for non-smokers nearby whereas Captain Black could cause the most rabid anti-smoker to lean in for a whiff and a flash memory of their grandfather.

I don't think I will re-order it based on this experience. Add in the cost of $5.99 for 7ml and it isn't a good value for me. Maybe there's a thread where people exchange bottles of stuff they bought but don't really like. I'll look around.
My advice is to head to MyVapeJuice Want2Vape and HeathersHeavenly.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know of any vendors that work with captain flavoring.

I am a DIYer and I work with it. Not that I ever smoked pipe tobacco, but I do like the taste/smell of captain. I have never added molasses to my tobacco flavors. Sounds hinkey.
It's an old school technique* used mostly in Europe the only American Product that uses this technique is Non-Filtered Camel's & Camel Reds.

*The technique involves braiding together tobacco leaves with Molasses then tamping the braid down into a wooden form then aging it.*

VU Sponsors