Become a Patron!

Newb from TX

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey everyone, just thought I would go ahead and jump in here. I'm new to the vaping world. In fact, I haven't even started yet, so I guess I'm a pre-newb?
Been smoking cigarettes since the age of 15 and I am ready to quit! Cold turkey method has failed me time and time again, so now I have started doing research on vaping. I'm still learning so not incredibly knowledgeable about it.
I have tried the E-cigs (the ones that "look" like cigarettes) but I didn't like them. I don't know if it was a cheap brand, or if they were just manufacturing issues, but they would leak, and that stuff tastes like shit!
Now I am just trying to figure out all the pros vs. cons to the vapes, what brands/types of vapes to look for, beginner set up and all that jazz. A family member of mine showed his to me and even let me try it out. I think it was a Spinner or something like that.
There are a couple of vape shops in my little town, but I have yet to go investigate them.

(forgive me if I am using incorrect terminology here...Still learning!)

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Jessy glad you joined, take a look around and ask questions, we have great members here willing to help out with anything you need to know, Welcome and enjoy the forum and welcome to the world of vaping:)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the Underground. If you're lucky to have vape shops around you should certainly check them out, but also you can find a lot of the same stuff online for a lot cheaper so take your time and look around before you make any huge purchases. Happy vaping.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU.
A good Vape shop will cost you a little more, but local support is sometimes worth it until you get the hang of vaping. I didn't go from smoking to vaping overnight, I cut down on my smokes a little each week until vaping took over and now I only vape.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome from me as well!

What is your budget for a full kit?

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome from me as well!

What is your budget for a full kit?

I have seen a wide price range for different kits. I want a good one as i expect to use it for quite some time. But I am not really wanting to pay any more than $150-$200 starting out.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU @JessyV

I'm in Texas as well, in college station. If you're in the area we have a couple crappy vape shops and one badass shop (Tooter's)!

As was said already a Eleaf iStick 30w is a great starter add in an aerotank or nautilus mini for $25-30 and some juice it should all be under $100. Don't forget to get replacement coil heads for whatever you go with!

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm about 2 1/2 hours north of you. I know of one vape shop in my town, but looking online they seem really high in price compared to some others. Most of what they have I think is for the vamo v5.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm about 2 1/2 hours north of you. I know of one vape shop in my town, but looking online they seem really high in price compared to some others. Most of what they have I think is for the vamo v5.

Yeah there are a lot of b&m shops that really jack up their prices. So, it can all seem a bit overwhelming at first when you start looking at gear but heres a great online shop that has everything you'd need in stock

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Eleaf-iSmoka-iStick-30W-Battery-Only-p/elis-is30bbk.htm

They've got the option to add in a tank on here :) I'd recommend an aerotank or Subtank, kanger products have always been good to me.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats taking the first step to investigate,
That's really healthy budget for a good starter kit.
I just set up a young lady last night with a kanger subtank mini (29.99$) and an istick 30w (32$)
From Mtbakervaper's website.
She was in a position to use a friends identical setup before making the purchase.
Going to a shop and spending a few dollars more or seem if someone has gear you like may help make the transition easier. Vapimg is a lot of fun, but, not everyone likes the same stuff as I'm sure you've seen.

Have fun with it and CONGRATS !!!

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Jesse ... welcome. Houston here. I don't know from shops in the Waco area, but ... DFW Vapors (http://www.dfwvapor.com/) seems pretty competitive and may be sorta local to you. I've never been to their B&M, but they have shipped to me quickly and at competitive rates.

I don't have a problem with the hardware folks are recommending. But, I'd suggest you get two devices. The backup is extra important when you're first quitting. The next stinky is never farther than your closest gas station, but you can't say the same for your closest fully charged, ready to go vape unless you keep a spare on the ready.

Good luck to you. Be Strong.

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the tips!
Ok so I didn't get the whole variable volt/watt thing. Looked it up, just making sure I understand correctly: Adjusting the volts/watts on a variable device will in turn adjust the amount of vapor/flavor/throat hit you get? How can I determine what to start with since some devices have different max settings? I'm used to smoking a pack a day of light cigs, lately a little more due to stress. Wanting to gradually ween myself from the nicotine though as I start vaping.
Also, is the Eleaf iStick attractive because it's more compact? Just seems kind of small to me and I'm unsure what I should try out first since I have nothing to compare to.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The form factor (size and shape) of a mod is totally a matter of personal preference.
Some people prefer a tube mod, some prefer a box. That's something that can change over time.

The variable voltage/wattage is adjusting the power to the coil to produce a varying effect of the vapor, airflow also has something to do with it. The part to really make sure of is if the mod can support the atomizer. Some mods have a minimum resistance they need to safely fire. Its more of a safety measure than anything. the battery in an istick20 Can't safely fire a load below 1 ohm, so the chip wont let it. The batter In an istick 30 can so the mod will fore down to a 0.4 ohm atomizer. that's the key reason several people, including myself tend to recommend the istick 30 new vapors. its a few dollars more but it opens up so many doors to equipment that can be used and can fire any clearomizer on the market right now, in addition its super affordable at 30-35$.
As a general rule, more wattage=more power=warmer fuller vape. there is a point though that the vape can get harsh and you'll taste that.

Last edited:

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Start at a lower watt setting, and go up from there. I set my iStick at 7 watts with a fresh coil. As the coil gets used I increase the wattage. It's mostly trial and error. Different flavors, how hard/long you suck, PG/VG level, the ohm of your coil, how well you wick lets juice into it, the adjustment of your air hole. If you set it too high you can vape the chamber dry and get a burnt taste.

AntDog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would also recommend the 30 watt istick and probably a mini nautilus to go with it. With that setup, and a juice you like, in a nic level that's comfortable to you, anybody can quit smoking.

Then, if you like the 30 watt istick, keep it as a backup and get the 50 watt as a new primary.

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would definitely pick up istick30 watt. Take a look at the sub tank mini. Everyone is loving that tank lately.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yep i just ordered my 30w istick w nautilus mini today. Excited!

Hope you like it.

I am trying to avoid suggesting mods/atties to new vapers. At least usless they have a good idea what they want out of their vaping experience. We all like to vape different.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats!!!! That's gonna be a great setup!!!

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awsome! What did you pick up for juice?

Killa Vanilla, strawberry cheesecake and tigers blood.
(I remember getting tigersblood flavored snow cones as a kid, my favorite flavor, and was curious about the vape for that flavor)

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hope you like it.

I am trying to avoid suggesting mods/atties to new vapers. At least usless they have a good idea what they want out of their vaping experience. We all like to vape different.

Oh i have already thought about that and done a tiny bit of research on it. But theres so much I dont quite understand yet, so I'm gonna take my time at beginner level before I do any upgrades or major mods. Dont want to get ahead of myself. But definitely open to any recommendations for future reference! ^_^

Kizzer49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh i have already thought about that and done a tiny bit of research on it. But theres so much I dont quite understand yet, so I'm gonna take my time at beginner level before I do any upgrades or major mods. Dont want to get ahead of myself. But definitely open to any recommendations for future reference! ^_^
You should be happy with the setup you got going for now. I use the 20watt istick. With a few single coil rdas, and a Nautilus mini. I havent smoked in like 4 months. I actually have no desire to.

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You should be happy with the setup you got going for now. I use the 20watt istick. With a few single coil rdas, and a Nautilus mini. I havent smoked in like 4 months. I actually have no desire to.
That's awesome. I hope to put the cigs down and never pick them up again.

kami917

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have seen a wide price range for different kits. I want a good one as i expect to use it for quite some time. But I am not really wanting to pay any more than $150-$200 starting out.
There is a box mod that came out xpro m80 pluse $55 or so I hear can go 0.1ohm and it's 80w device although there temperature control sucks but for that price I think it's really good also aspire naterlis $25 to me was a great starter tank. I've only been vaping for month and half but I haven't had a cigarette in 2.5 weeks. Even with vaping it was hard to go cold turkey but it's way better than patch. Hope you like vaping much as me

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a box mod that came out xpro m80 pluse $55 or so I hear can go 0.1ohm and it's 80w device although there temperature control sucks but for that price I think it's really good also aspire naterlis $25 to me was a great starter tank. I've only been vaping for month and half but I haven't had a cigarette in 2.5 weeks. Even with vaping it was hard to go cold turkey but it's way better than patch. Hope you like vaping much as me
Hi Kami,
I read earlier tonight on ECF about a guy who had to cut the wires on that M80
'cause apparently the switch got stuck and the thing just kept on getting
hotter and hotter. He threw it in his sink and gave it a bath then opened it up
and cut the wires. Think he got it from VaporDNA.

I personally don't own one but I'm thinking of getting the M50 for my b-day.
Don't really think anything over 40 or 50 watts is called for.
I own 4 VAMOs 3 fives and the V7 40 watter and the latter sub ohms just fine.
Probably order another V7 from fasttech later today,
one for my Kayfun Lite and another for the dripper.

Good luck, or should I say "break a leg" with not smoking ciggies.
But be aware that vaping isn't totally harmless either.
Do your homework and don't hurt yourself.
BTW, there's a Kami on that other forum also,
but I just checked and I don't think it's you.
She's just Kami with no numbers.
I just checked 'cause I knew I'd seen that nick someplace.
I'm the same nick over there, at least until they ban me...

I've been vaping...it'll be 2 years this coming Father's Day.
Got a combo father's day b-day present since the two days are like two days apart.
I'd tried it several years, what 5 years back but both the technology and the juice weren't very good yet and I stuck with my pipe and ciggies.

Now I've paid my dues and mostly vape,
but I'm still learning and so should you :)
Be good. Regards,
Hazy :cool:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Jessy glad you joined, take a look around and ask questions, we have great members here willing to help out with anything you need to know, Welcome and enjoy the forum and welcome to the world of vaping:)
Wow! What a cutie pie moderator...the chick is cute also;)
I'm going to sleep now Whiskey. No good morning from me today unless you accept it at..4:56 AM. Wake up, wake up. When you wake up I'll be sleeping.
Regards,
Hazy:cool:

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats taking the first step to investigate,
That's really healthy budget for a good starter kit.
I just set up a young lady last night with a kanger subtank mini (29.99$) and an istick 30w (32$)
From Mtbakervaper's website.
She was in a position to use a friends identical setup before making the purchase.
Going to a shop and spending a few dollars more or seem if someone has gear you like may help make the transition easier. Vapimg is a lot of fun, but, not everyone likes the same stuff as I'm sure you've seen.

Have fun with it and CONGRATS !!!
Hey f1r3b1rd,
Did you get banned over there or are you an interloper like me?
LOL...BTW, 17% discount at MFS. Use code FEB17
Regards,

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep i just ordered my 30w istick w nautilus mini today. Excited!
Welcome Jessy!
Definitely a good starter kit. You'll have to try different juices, in order to find your favorites. Ideally, you want to have 3-4 different flavors, to avoid not being able to taste the flavor of a single juice anymore. There are many online stores that offer sample deals, make use of those to find your ADVs (all day vape). Also pay attention to those that offer the ability to choose the level of PG/VG as well. More VG makes for a smoother inhale.

kami917

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Kami,

Got a combo father's day b-day present since the two days are like two days apart.
I'd tried it several years, what 5 years back but both the technology and the juice weren't very good yet and I stuck with my pipe and ciggies.

Be good. Regards,
Thanks for the great advise
I've lean alot in last 2 almost 3 month now (since I've started to vape) and I know there is tons more I need to lean. And yes I know that vaping isn't totally safe due to from some e juice u can get popcorn lung and stuff depending on flavor. But overall all I love it lol. Love making coils and trying out different ohms getting different flavors from same e juice like warm to cold vape different rda, rba so on. I've just made my own e juice week ago so I'm loving it and having a blast. oh and lots of people use same nickname. I use it due to I'm one of the dark color korean so got a nickname crow back in high school days and in korean that's kamaki=crow so made it short got kami lol but later on I've lean kami=god on Japanese like kamikaze= gods wind they they say gami instead of kami lol

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the great advise
I've lean alot in last 2 almost 3 month now (since I've started to vape) and I know there is tons more I need to lean. And yes I know that vaping isn't totally safe due to from some e juice u can get popcorn lung and stuff depending on flavor. But overall all I love it lol. Love making coils and trying out different ohms getting different flavors from same e juice like warm to cold vape different rda, rba so on. I've just made my own e juice week ago so I'm loving it and having a blast. oh and lots of people use same nickname. I use it due to I'm one of the dark color korean so got a nickname crow back in high school days and in korean that's kamaki=crow so made it short got kami lol but later on I've lean kami=god on Japanese like kamikaze= gods wind they they say gami instead of kami lol
I never sleep anymore..Hey my aunt's hubby is half Korean
and my old lady is half Chinese.
You're pretty advanced already what with building you own coils and DIY.
That's great. You've done your homework too. I DIY also.
Waiting on some new flavors I ordered a couple of nights ago from ecigexpress.
and a roll of kanthal I ordered from ebay.

Indeed there's diketones and acetyls, silica dust in some tank coils,
You even have to watch out for kanthal wire fumes.
Always torch your coils before vaping.

I'm impressed, Kami. Maybe you can give us all Koren classes as well
as teach everybody a thing or two :)

Be good, Kami. My pleasure.
Regards,

kami917

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never sleep anymore..Hey my aunt's hubby is half Korean
and my old lady is half Chinese.
You're pretty advanced already what with building you own coils and DIY.
That's great. You've done your homework too. I DIY also.
Waiting on some new flavors I ordered a couple of nights ago from ecigexpress.
and a roll of kanthal I ordered from ebay.

Indeed there's diketones and acetyls, silica dust in some tank coils,
You even have to watch out for kanthal wire fumes.
Always torch your coils before vaping.

I'm impressed, Kami. Maybe you can give us all Koren classes as well
as teach everybody a thing or two :)

Be good, Kami. My pleasure.
Regards,
I have some question about making e juice. I've got some 100mg nicotine 50/50 vg and pg thinking it's easyer to use but when I try to make 6mg nicotine 30ml bottle it tasted like 24mg nicotine lol( thinking it's way too strong ) only thing I don't get is 45mg, 72mg, 100mg nicotine isn't it all same due to over all mg/ml you have to put in is same? Like lower nicotine mg more you have to put in vs 100mg nicotine? Bit of a try and error at this time

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have some question about making e juice. I've got some 100mg nicotine 50/50 vg and pg thinking it's easyer to use but when I try to make 6mg nicotine 30ml bottle it tasted like 24mg nicotine lol( thinking it's way too strong ) only thing I don't get is 45mg, 72mg, 100mg nicotine isn't it all same due to over all mg/ml you have to put in is same? Like lower nicotine mg more you have to put in vs 100mg nicotine? Bit of a try and error at this time

Hey Kami,
Use this and make your life easier:
http://ecigvape.com/simple_calc.php
or this:
http://www.e-cig.com/knowledge-base/calculator/
or this:
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

Tis not trial and error and you have to be as precise as you can with the nicotine.
Nicotine can kill you...You can mess around with the flavors (I always do)
and the VG or PG (I prefer to use all VG - there's usually some PG in the flavoring
and VG gives you more vapor and is less likely to give you a reaction if you're allergic- also sweeter so you can avoid sweetener if you like sweet juice)
Use a syringe to measure the nicotine, don't go by drops.
Get a graduate cylinder to measure out your VG/PG.
You can buy all this stuff as well as small flavor bottles at wizardlabs.us
and I haven't seen lab equipment that I recall now 'cause I'm half asleep but you can get all kinds of flavors, nicotine and VG or PG at ecigexpress.com

Use globes in a well ventilated room when you do the nicotine.
Some folks recommend goggles and an apron
but I wear glasses and like to take some risks ;) now and then

Have phun, you scientist you :)
I'm off to sleep.
Was supposed to crash two hours ago
but went shopping at fasttech.

later,
Hazy:cool:

PS. Feel free to PM me with any questions or just to say hi.

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got my istick in today. Surprisingly easy to use. Just been testing out the v settings and juice flavors, but so far it's awesome.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Kami,

Be good. Regards,
I saw one taken apart when I was driving my way from Chicago to Dallas in was in Champaign IL... the shop there has one he showed me what a piece of shit they are they are nothing like they look online very cheap buttons wiggly I held it said thanx for helping me save 50.00

JessyV

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome Jessy!
Definitely a good starter kit. You'll have to try different juices, in order to find your favorites. Ideally, you want to have 3-4 different flavors, to avoid not being able to taste the flavor of a single juice anymore. There are many online stores that offer sample deals, make use of those to find your ADVs (all day vape). Also pay attention to those that offer the ability to choose the level of PG/VG as well. More VG makes for a smoother inhale.
Thanks :) I've discovered quite a few vape shops in my town (I didn't even know about them before), I actually live within walking distance which is awesome, so I will definitely be trying out some different flavors to see which ones I like.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw one taken apart when I was driving my way from Chicago to Dallas in was in Champaign IL... the shop there has one he showed me what a piece of shit they are they are nothing like they look online very cheap buttons wiggly I held it said thanx for helping me save 50.00
Man you're Scary.. That was the M80 right?
I ask 'cause as I said in the po I'm thinking of the M50, which is actually 60 or 65 watts.
Though I really don't need anything over 40. Just sent of for another VAMO7.
I like those. But I'd like a box mod just for kicks

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Man you're Scary.. That was the M80 right?
I ask 'cause as I said in the po I'm thinking of the M50, which is actually 60 or 65 watts.
Though I really don't need anything over 40. Just sent of for another VAMO7.
I like those. But I'd like a box mod just for kicks
Yeah not impressed with that thingy in fact I wont be impressed until lasers are heating my juice why Im heating things with a 150 year old technology is getting on my nerves..

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah not impressed with that thingy in fact I wont be impressed until lasers are heating my juice why Im heating things with a 150 year old technology is getting on my nerves..
That's an interesting thought. I don't see why not?

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well we could always rub sticks together and drip juice on em lol

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's awesome. I hope to put the cigs down and never pick them up again.
Good luck, Jessy. I'll share some advice. Do not think about or try to quit smoking. It sounds counter-intuitive, but trust me on this. You just started vaping. For the next week or so, you will do it just because it is new to you, and because it is a pleasant experience. If you want to smoke, do it. In just a few short days, your body will adjust to getting its supply of nicotine from vaping. On a subconscious level, you mind will decide on its own that nicotine = vaping. Believe it or not, one day very soon you will light a cigarette and you will hate it. That will be your last one. Compared to vaping, cigarettes taste awful. Your body will start to think vape instead of smoke on its own. So... the gist is... don't pressure yourself to quit smoking. Do not try. Do not stress over it. You will just stop smoking because it will no longer be necessary. You can get what you need from vaping. You won't quit smoking. You will just stop smoking.

WKR

Member For 4 Years
Hey JessieV. I smoked for 55 years 2 packs of Camels a day. Went to a Vape shop in Pearland Texas and got a setup. In 2 weeks it will be a year. I didn't quit smoking I just started vaping 24 nic juice and I didn't want or need the death sticks!!!! Hang in there. I now have many many many things to cape with.

VU Sponsors