Become a Patron!

New To Vaping, Need Answers

Hi there,

I'm a fairly active smoker, smoking mainly socially and sometimes to relieve stress. I smoke about 2-3 rollups per day and maybe one cigarette on the off occasion. A lot of my friends have begun vaping to replace their smoking habit, and I'm considering following the trend as I prefer the taste and smoothness.

I have a few questions that I'll answer in numbers so they're easier to answer in the comments;

1. I am mainly looking for a decent nicotine rush, as well as the satisfaction for big thick clouds. I'm looking at the Smok V8 baby. Is this a good starter?
  2. How do I go about getting the thickest clouds possible. Is it down to the battery? Coil? Liquid?
  3. I hear a lot of people talking about "popcorn lung". Realistically should I be worried?
Thanks in advance!

~ FW

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I am mainly looking for a decent nicotine rush, as well as the satisfaction for big thick clouds. I'm looking at the Smok V8 baby. Is this a good starter?

Generally would not recommend this for a new vaper - but if you are only replacing a couple of smokes a day and are mainly looking for clouds - go for it

How do I go about getting the thickest clouds possible. Is it down to the battery? Coil? Liquid?

Generally, coil first (lower ohms = hotter vape), liquid (higher VG ration, the cloudier the vapor), battery comes into play mainly for safety reasons, especially on a mech.

The Smok V8 comes with a built in battery, which should therorically be able to handle the Baby Beast and its coils

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Why would you not recommend to a new vaper? Is it quite a complex vape?

Most people who are quitting cigarettes cannot handle DL vaping and the intensity of low ohm vaping

I see more trouble with new vapers trying to quit smoking with Smok products than any other on the market right now

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I went straight for the beast tank as it was the only thing that could stop me from wanting to smoke, although I smoked a lot more a day than you do ...I personally couldn’t get on with tootle puffing, it took a while before I got out of the big clouds phase and enjoyed flavour more

But Lucy does have a point with your smoking level have you tried a friends to see how you on on with that much vapour?

Direct Lung = breath in as you vape (the beast tank)
Mouth to lung = how you smoke a cigarette (pen style)

Baby beast will not produce the clouds of its bigger siblings ...I warn you though those tanks guzzle juice at a rate of knots as such don’t go high on the nic level maybe if you can find it 1% at your smoking level I’d personally just go nicotene free and try that first see how you get on.

Grab yourself something like the smoant battlestar or Vaptio N1 pro is a good 3 battery mod even if it is a brick

Batteries 30q, VTC6, VTC5a,

Popcorn lung is a myth

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you may want to consider the Cleito tank by aspire with a mid range mod that puts out no re than 100 watts, the cloud is there and 8 mg of nic in your juice should satisfy the nic cravings

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
@JuicyLucy pretty much nailed it!

I’ll add this, if clouds are what you want - and I’m a cloud guy - you gotta drip. But would never recommend that for a rookie. Start slow with a simple mouth to long device like an evic with a nautilus tank. Get use to vaping before you try to take massive hits and blow big clouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sounds like he is smoking now the way I did when I started at the beginning of a 20 year, pack a day smoking habit.
Ok so for a tank and cloud with flavor the Ijoy RDTA Combo beats all versions of cloud beast. You can build the coils you want because it has a deck like a Drip atomizer (RDA) and a 5ml tank (Like an RTA) but it is below the deck.
Vaping juices your wick as you tip your wrist. Once in awhile, just turn it upside down for 3 seconds (if you chain vape)
There is a small drip tip for flavor and a large drip tip for bigger clouds.

BTW for mouth to lung you can turn the air flow down.
*keep in mind, I had to reach to click the pic button to take the photo of the cloud*

WIN_20170905_022353.JPG WIN_20170905_022419.JPG WIN_20170905_022425.JPG WIN_20170905_022438.JPG

Attachments

• WIN_20171114_153640.JPG
    WIN_20171114_153640.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 7

BearHunter104

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sounds like he is smoking now the way I did when I started at the beginning of a 20 year, pack a day smoking habit.
Ok so for a tank and cloud with flavor the Ijoy RDTA Combo beats all versions of cloud beast. You can build the coils you want because it has a deck like a Drip atomizer (RDA) and a 5ml tank (Like an RTA) but it is below the deck.
Vaping juices your wick as you tip your wrist. Once in awhile, just turn it upside down for 3 seconds (if you chain vape)
There is a small drip tip for flavor and a large drip tip for bigger clouds.

BTW for mouth to lung you can turn the air flow down.
*keep in mind, I had to reach to click the pic button to take the photo of the cloud*

View attachment 96630 View attachment 96631 View attachment 96632 View attachment 96633

That cloud should cause a thunderstorm........

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That cloud should cause a thunderstorm........
I should think. lol. Only 1 problem with that tank. You have to prime the wick properly when you start. You prime it with 4 or 5 drops on the wick on both sides, not the coil. If you prime the coil, you get spit back.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@JuicyLucy pretty much nailed it!
I'll add this, if clouds are what you want - and I'm a cloud guy - you gotta drip. But would never recommend that for a rookie. Start slow with a simple mouth to long device like an evic with a nautilus tank. Get use to vaping before you try to take massive hits and blow big clouds.

Oi! *knocks lightly on his desk three times* Totally spot on advice the original poster is getting. Quoted @digibomb to agree full on. I added minor emphasis. You can run into what I call vapor lock. This can be scary if you're not used to it, or don't know it happens. It is when you draw in too much, more than lung capacity, of your vapor and then as you exhale find yourself not able to inhale. You literally get "hung" up with lungs full of vapor and have to only exhale a while. A gentle cough can usually help you get back to breathing again. But as I said if you're not ready you might panic, go into shut down, not good.

:wave: at @gbalkam and his cloud pictures. :) You dude, look as though I had pictured in my mind. Either that's you being so authentic in the text, or I'm just becoming too damn imaginative.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
You can run into what I call vapor lock. This can be scary if you're not used to it, or don't know it happens. It is when you draw in too much, more than lung capacity, of your vapor and then as you exhale find yourself not able to inhale. You literally get "hung" up with lungs full of vapor and have to only exhale a while. A gentle cough can usually help you get back to breathing again. But as I said if you're not ready you might panic, go into shut down, not good..

Tks for the shout out.

AND, vapor lock SUCKS! It's been years since I had that happen, but remember the first time. Thought I was gonna die. Good advice!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tks for the shout out.

AND, vapor lock SUCKS! It's been years since I had that happen, but remember the first time. Thought I was gonna die. Good advice!

RFLMAO! Nah, vapor lock blows. if it sucked I'd put it to work. :) ;) :p

Yeah, it can be real fun. "Oh crap" ... "What?" "Gasp, *cough* Ah, um nothing I was just choked up a little."

Got a tendency to also hold my breath when I go all at doing stuff. Not sure why. I ran track as a distance runner in high school and saw the teeny bopping girl sprinters do it and get toasted. Knew they could have dropped on the spot, swore I would never ... what do I do? Gee, ... "gimme a kick in the ass, make my lungs work." :)

VU Sponsors