Become a Patron!

New to mech mods, a few questions.

Hello, I'm not new to vaping but I am new to mech mods. I recently ruined my sony battery by discharging it all the way (I wasn't aware my charger didn't work, but local vape store replaced charger for free)

I also got a new battery from there. This battery says on it
"HGB18650 2200mAH - H1223P"

Now my question is, I've heard horror stories of these things blowing up. I have two RDA's at the moment, one is a plumeveil at .5 ohms, the other is a onslaught a-mod at 1.0 ohms.

I am just wondering, because I know obviously the onslaught at 1 ohm would be safer, but how much of a risk of danger am I in? I don't want this thing blowing up, or catching on fire. Please fill me in with whatever I should know.

Thanks in advance,
Johnny.

Update, I had my battery on the charger and I swear I saw it smoking. So I pulled it out really fast and now I'm scared to do anything with it. Did I waste money on this mod?

Last edited:

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would stick with a well known battery Like a samsung 25R or LG HE2 or HE4

Both those are considered safe up to 20amps continuous drain....so dont build lower than 0.21ohms

that battery you got doesnt seem to have much publish data

BATTY SAFETY is huge! better to be safe than sorry.

familiarize yourself with ohms law and battery safety, once you get the hang of it.....mech mods are a great thing :)

Also a good charger is key..........i have a Efest LUC v4 and am very happy with it

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
+1 on everything Panther says - go for a good battery and charger. I personally like LightningVapes.com - there you can get a Nitecore charger (not top of the line, but I've found mine reliable for over a year) for $20 and a pair of Samsung 25R batteries for $8 each - if code LV15 is active (it usually is), take another 15% off and get free shipping. Strongly suggest you go this route if you're having any problems, safe is much better than sorry when it comes to batteries.

You don't say what kind of mod you're using, but those RDAs sound like you're starting in a good place by keeping the resistance above 0.5 for your first builds. One other tool I might suggest is a multimeter, which can measure both battery charge and atomizer resistance (though an ohm checker that I'm assuming you already have is much easier for the latter). Take your batteries out every couple dozen drags and check them - when they fall to 3.6v, time to recharge. After doing this for a couple days you'll be able to tell by feel when you're getting low and you can stop with the constant checking, but it's important to develop that feel so you don't vape another cell dangerously low.

Edited to add a slightly dated but helpful link on how to use a multimeter for vaping: http://altsmoke.com/multimeter.html

kami917

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get a sony vtc5 or samsung 25r if your battery's are 25A to 30A you should be fine but learn your ohms law and it should be good ^^

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Get a sony vtc5 or samsung 25r if your battery's are 25A to 30A you should be fine but learn your ohms law and it should be good ^^
Just keep in mind Sony VTC5's are no longer available - if you're buying them new you're buying a counterfeit or really old stock. That, and that even though the Samsung 25R's have the number 25 in them, they're actually only 20 amp cells...the only thing higher I'm aware of that's readily available is the VTC4, which has a lower 2100mah capacity, but a 30a continuous draw.

IX of XIII

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A 510 cap is also handy to have if you have a hybrid mod. Not all the attys have a protruding 510 pin and if you use a hybrid top with those you can have issues.

JOLT74

Member For 4 Years
I would stick with a well known battery Like a samsung 25R or LG HE2 or HE4

Both those are considered safe up to 20amps continuous drain....so dont build lower than 0.21ohms

that battery you got doesnt seem to have much publish data

BATTY SAFETY is huge! better to be safe than sorry.

familiarize yourself with ohms law and battery safety, once you get the hang of it.....mech mods are a great thing :)

Also a good charger is key..........i have a Efest LUC v4 and am very happy with it
I'm also a big fan of MXJO 18650s 35 amps and 2500mah, I run these all day for months with no issues

Just going to add in here, if you swear that you saw the battery smoking on the charger do not use it. Go get new batteries all the ones listed above are great and I have personally used most of them. I don't think you waisted your money on the mod you just need to get better batteries. Best of luck!

Can you guys just give me tips on when to put it on charge and when to pull it off charge so I don't fuck up the new battery?

Thanks,
Johnny.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you guys just give me tips on when to put it on charge and when to pull it off charge so I don't fuck up the new battery?

Thanks,
Johnny.
Ideal operating voltages are 3.7v and above - once it drops to 3.6v, charge it until it's at 4.2v, the charger will tell you it's done. Check my earlier post on getting a multimeter and practicing with it for a few days until you're able to vape down to 3.6 by feel - for these purposes a $5 cheapo from China Harbor Freight Tools will work fine.

Edit - just googled that Xsmart charger and I know nothing about it, I have a Efest LUC v4 that has a digital voltage readout and a Nitecore i2 that has a series of lights to let me know when a charge is complete...check your owner's manual to see how that one works.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with all of the above. Some good advice here. Get a cheapo multimeter and you'll be set. Just start checking the voltage when your mech starts dropping off in vapor. With a quality battery you can go a little lower than 3.6 without doing damage you'll just get a little shorter life out of em.
But, after a week or two you will start to be able to tell when it's time to throw it on the charger just from feel. It's a pretty dramatic drop off once you learn to recognize it.

VU Sponsors