Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm just getting started in DIY and have the following flavors, all DIYFS:
Caramel
Cheesecake
Vanilla Custard
Strawberry
Holy, Holy Grail RY4
I'm wanting to make a Strawberry Cheesecake, a Vanilla Custard with a hint of caramel, and of course, an RY4.
My question is what would be a recommended starting percentages for these flavors? I have seen very little about DIYFS flavors, and nothing mentioning the flavors I have. I just don't want to make something that's overpowering. Any help is much appreciated!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was in the same place as you last Tuesday! I started with the manufacturers percentages and used my own judgement concerning multiple flavors. If iot was a single flavor went with the suggestion. If I used 2 flavors I split it in half and adjusted to make the flavor I wanted to be dominant. I hope this helps as I did not get too much help on that other forum!

GOOD LUCK!:D

Keep up updated on your progress and share your success stories!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was in the same place as you last Tuesday! I started with the manufacturers percentages and used my own judgement concerning multiple flavors. If iot was a single flavor went with the suggestion. If I used 2 flavors I split it in half and adjusted to make the flavor I wanted to be dominant. I hope this helps as I did not get too much help on that other forum!

GOOD LUCK!:D

Keep up updated on your progress and share your success stories!
Thanks! I don't see a lot about recommended percentages on their page except for the expert flavors they say 5% to start compared to the 15%-25% for the other flavorings, but that sounds like a bit much.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The first Flavors I wanted to Mix had NO Suggestions either! Asking for help only succeeded in letting me know who the assholes were on the other forum! If you want I can PM you to the link of my recipes that I made so far with no recommendations. They are palatable!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is also a calculator that Tucker turned me on to!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You can print and also save your recipes on line plus update your recipes on the fly.

:D

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The first Flavors I wanted to Mix had NO Suggestions either! Asking for help only succeeded in letting me know who the assholes were on the other forum! If you want I can PM you to the link of my recipes that I made so far with no recommendations. They are palatable!
Thanks, that would be great. As for a calculator, I already have E-juice Me Up.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started lower then suggested because adding just a couple of drops results in major increases. My flavors are 20 drops per ML so 5 drops is .25%. Easy to add hard to dilute a 30 ML batch.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like being able to save my recipes there even though I have HARD COPIES for a back up. Yes I know Old Fashioned but when the power goes out or the Internet is down I can mix a DIY.

Also I can share my recipes and it is funny how many people have viewed them!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm just getting started in DIY and have the following flavors, all DIYFS:
Caramel
Cheesecake
Vanilla Custard
Strawberry
Holy, Holy Grail RY4
I'm wanting to make a Strawberry Cheesecake, a Vanilla Custard with a hint of caramel, and of course, an RY4.
My question is what would be a recommended starting percentages for these flavors? I have seen very little about DIYFS flavors, and nothing mentioning the flavors I have. I just don't want to make something that's overpowering. Any help is much appreciated!

Since I've only tried a few from them I can only say that I've used French Vanilla at 5% stand alone and was quite good.
Same thing with Holy Vanilla but it was only so so, and better used at lower amounts added in to fruits and such.
Birthday Cake & Pound Cake were just kinda meh.
I'd try the Strawberry stand alone at 2% first to determine the strength.
Once you get that amount nailed down you can add some Cheesecake in, 2-3%.
And probably even a bit of V.Custard & Caramel too, (probably 1% each).
Another one that might be good is a Strawberry + Vanilla Custard.
5% Vanilla Custard + 2% Caramel might be a good starting point for Caramel Custard.
RY4 I'd have to start with 3% stand alone to get an idea of what it needs, if anything.

Marc411

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A lot of people really like their vanilla, I've read mostly positive reviews. They also say on their site that their flavors a more concentrated and that's why they recommend 5-10%.

I'm going to have to give their flavors a try, especially the vanilla.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, much appreciated! I wound up making two 15ml bottles of juice, and they turned out great!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I made 15ml of RY-4 6% on the flavoring, and a 15ml of caramel custard 5% vanilla custard 2.5% caramel. I think I'm gonna bump the caramel up a little on the next batch, but they are both very nice right now. I imagine the custard will improve with some age, but I have a feeling it won't get the chance.:)

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, now for the obligatory I don't know why I waited so long to try DIY! It was way easier than I thought it would be. :D

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After less than a week I can mix up a 30 ML batch in 10 minutes or so. That includes pouring into bottles and washing all tools and equipment.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
After less than a week I can mix up a 30 ML batch in 10 minutes or so. That includes pouring into bottles and washing all tools and equipment.
I don't think it took me but about that long to mix mine up last night. Next thing I want to do is get a good set of scales and mix by weight so there is even less to clean up.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it took me but about that long to mix mine up last night. Next thing I want to do is get a good set of scales and mix by weight so there is even less to clean up.
You can get a very inexpensive Horizon scale on Amazon for about $15 - Huck and I use it, and it's great!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well I also need to set up my mixing station which I use a PVC Panel on top of the washing machine. So I set everything up and re-box it for storage at present.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You can get a very inexpensive Horizon scale on Amazon for about $15 - Huck and I use it, and it's great!
Thanks Amanda. I already have it on my wish list there, just gotta wait until next payday to get it.:)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would keep it simple instead of adding the additional mathematical calculations until you really got your chops down. But that is just my opinion. You did have trepidation which kept you from starting so why complicate things?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would keep it simple instead of adding the additional mathematical calculations until you really got your chops down. But that is just my opinion. You did have trepidation which kept you from starting so why complicate things?
It's just as simple, if not even more so, than mixing by volume!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can see where if a person is mixing major quantities in one session where it might simplify things but with 30 ML batches is just seems overkill.

Again just my opinion which can change like the weather.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm sure that any questions I might have when going to weight mixing will be answered here. Everyone is so helpful here!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure that any questions I might have when going to weight mixing will be answered here. Everyone is so helpful here!

I do not deny that FACT! I just think that for my purposes it is overkill and additional tasks.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So are you using a syringe to add the flavor or nicotine to your beaker on the scale?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So are you using a syringe to add the flavor or nicotine to your beaker on the scale?
Flavorings I use straight out of the bottle - just drop the drops in. I do use something to drop the nicotine in, because my nic is in widemouth glass bottles - either a pipette or a syringe or a bulb dropper, depending on how big a quantity I'm making. I have my pg and vg in bottles with yorker spouts, so I just pour in directly from those. I just made a whole lot of bases and mixes this afternoon and the only washing up was a syringe (for the nic).

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am using the ecgivape.com calculator recommended by one of the members of the forums.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My GF always asks me why when you cook I clean and do the dishes and when I cook I clean and do the dishes?

My answer to her is you don't cook that often! DO NOT FORGET TO DUCK!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Discussions like this protray how different the members in this forum are compared to the other one! Here you can have a civilized discussion and have someone with the knowledge or experience actually take the time to explain something. Instead of on that other forum where this is how I do it and if you don't you don't know what your doing!

Thanks to all
!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Discussions like this protray how different the members in this forum are compared to the other one! Here you can have a civilized discussion and have someone with the knowledge or experience actually take the time to explain something. Instead of on that other forum where this is how I do it and if you don't you don't know what your doing!

Thanks to all
!
Agree 100%!

Marc411

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
e juice me up is good for weight or by ml Mark. It's pretty good software and I use both types to mix. I normally use weight for larger batches.

Once you set the weights in your default you are ready to rock by weight.

In case you don't have them yet

wt.png

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
e juice me up is good for weight or by ml Mark. It's pretty good software and I use both types to mix. I normally use weight for larger batches.

Once you set the weights in your default you are ready to rock by weight.

In case you don't have them yet

wt.png
Thanks, my friend! That helps a lot!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Very much so! I was just scared I was going to make something unvapable.

It does happen sometimes, but it's no big deal, just try again.
That's how we learn sometimes.
Some even like to vape flavorless, but it's still DIY.

Grats on you first mixes BTW.

VU Sponsors