Become a Patron!

New Nicotine

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, that's the bubbles from shaking it up!

Shaking it up is understandable....:)
Thanks for straightening me out!

Ron
---
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."- James Brown

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't even looked at mine, just chucked it in the freezer.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't even looked at mine, just chucked it in the freezer.

In the plastic bottle it came in ? :eek:

Ron
----
"The days can go on with regularity over and over, one day indistinguishable from the next. A long continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is a change. "- Travis Bickle

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
My liter arrived this morning. I'm pretty disappointed that it doesn't smell/look at all like the sample I received - it's very yellow and smells like a dirty ashtray. I'll test it later and see how it tastes, but it's not what I was expecting.

Also, there's no batch number or expiry/packed on date on the bottle - that's unusual.

Thanks for the feedback. This is obviously of great concern to me. I'm out of town until tomorrow. I'll contact you once I'm back in my office.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In the plastic bottle it came in ? :eek:

Ron
----
"The days can go on with regularity over and over, one day indistinguishable from the next. A long continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is a change. "- Travis Bickle
Always, never had a problem. When I crack one open to use, I transfer it to several 30-50ml glass dropper bottles for convenience.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Always, never had a problem.

I'm glad to hear that! On the internet DIY spots, I had always seen the strong suggestion to transfer to glass before placing in the freezer for long term storage. Because of the mouth numbing I get from the ChemNic, I've been debating if it was worthwhile to do so. I now have my answer. Thanks Again!

Ron
--
"I spent my whole life trying not to be careless."-Don Corleone

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad to hear that! On the internet DIY spots, I had always seen the strong suggestion to transfer to glass before placing in the freezer for long term storage. Because of the mouth numbing I get from the ChemNic, I've been debating if it was worthwhile to do so. I now have my answer. Thanks Again!

Ron
--
"I spent my whole life trying not to be careless."-Don Corleone
Long term for me is maybe a couple months before it gets broken down. I wouldn't store it in plastic for years.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Long term for me is maybe a couple months before it gets broken down. I wouldn't store it in plastic for years.

Well....I guess it's back to pondering for me. :facepalm: I was thinking by the time I got to using it would be at least 6 years.
:thanks:
Ron
---
"I'm always frank and earnest with women. Uh, in New York I'm Frank, and Chicago I'm Ernest." -Mitch Henessey (The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996))

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I just did and it is dark, but no smell. I'm rather surprised, needless to say. Gonna take a small bottle out tomorrow and make a test mix.

Teresa I'd like to see how dark it is. It will always look darker than it actually is while it's inside the white bottle. More importantly, a slight yellow, tan or pinkish is fine. Color isn't indicative of quality nor purity. The only way to prevent nicotine from changing color is if its been bleached during extraction. Let me know how your tester turns out.
Thanks

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Teresa I'd like to see how dark it is. It will always look darker than it actually is while it's inside the white bottle. More importantly, a slight yellow, tan or pinkish is fine. Color isn't indicative of quality nor purity. The only way to prevent nicotine from changing color is if its been bleached during extraction. Let me know how your tester turns out.
Thanks

Ya, while pouring into the glass bottles, mine wasn't any darker than I would expect. I was feeling fine until Amanda mentioned that her's tested out at 88mg/ml. That's got me concerned...

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Ya, while pouring into the glass bottles, mine wasn't any darker than I would expect. I was feeling fine until Amanda mentioned that her's tested out at 88mg/ml. That's got me concerned...

Right. It's called refraction. It will always appear darker than it is when inside the white bottle.

I too am concerned about the test results and intend on getting to the bottom of it.

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just tested to see if it was indeed 100mg/ml. It came out to 88mg/ml :eek:

Hey Amanda, could you tell me what test kit you use? I wanna pick one up, and could use a nod in the right direction. If nothing else, this'll push me to finally start testing the nic I purchase, which is something I should have been doing a while ago.

VelvetA

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Teresa I'd like to see how dark it is. It will always look darker than it actually is while it's inside the white bottle. More importantly, a slight yellow, tan or pinkish is fine.
I posted a pic of how dark mine is - do you consider that normal for your nic?

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I posted a pic of how dark mine is - do you consider that normal for your nic?

I would agree the nic in the picture is a little dark. It's always clear when shipped. However, shipping conditions can and does affect it. This is especially true if it's left in the back of a hot mail truck for hours on end. Our bottles are purged with argon to help prevent oxidation. However, it doesn't prevent oxidation from heat.

I'd also like to point out that there's too much emphasis placed on the color of nicotine in the diy world. In addition, a slight earthy odor is completely normal. The true test is taste.

Just curious, what method of storage are you using.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well looks like im making a trip to the freezer to test this. Ill let it thaw overnight and make a batch tomorrow.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As much as I hate to make a post like this, it's become necessary. I previously offered members of this thread who have placed an order with us a free 30ml bottle of one of our one-shot flavorings. It seems that some people will always try to beat the system or try to get over on the next guy/gal. They've seen the post for the free flavoring, placed an order for a free nic sample, then messaged me with their flavor request. So, let me be clear. A free sample purchase, in and of itself, will not qualify you for a free 30ml flavoring. I'm sorry if this comes across sarcastic but, it honestly angered me at the nerve of some people.

In addition, your order MUST have been placed prior to the post I made making the offer. Sorry but, these are the rules I have decided on.

Thanks for understanding.
Sounds more than reasonable to me.

I'm out of town for a little bit so will have to get with you later on order number etc.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Well looks like im making a trip to the freezer to test this. Ill let it thaw overnight and make a batch tomorrow.

I wouldn't recommend leaving it out all night.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't recommend leaving it out all night.
They were divided in 120ml bottles. We take out small bottles when we need to use them? Do people divide them and put it back in the freezer each night after use?

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Personally I would recommend putting it back in the freezer but, at least a refrigerator.

VelvetA

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would agree the nic in the picture is a little dark. It's always clear when shipped. However, shipping conditions can and does affect it. This is especially true if it's left in the back of a hot mail truck for hours on end.
It can but we only hit low 70s when mine was delivered and it was around noon time, so it wasn't that hot or in the truck for long. It also shouldn't smell like a dirty ashtray o_O

Just curious, what method of storage are you using.
I store all my nic in amber glass bottles with cone caps, filled to a few mm to the top, in the freezer. All except for one clear bottle from each batch (also in the freezer) - I keep those as sort of a canary in the coal mine. That way I can see how each batch is doing in the amber bottles.

I store all my flavors in amber glass as well as all the juice I make. Yes, I do love me some amber glass :cool:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dark nic has been odixized - that's something we all agree on. I've been buying nic for some years, and this is not the same nic as the sample I received. The smell alone tells me this is old nic, let alone the test results. So I'm assuming there won't be an issue with this?

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
@AmandaD.. No worries. I have absolutely no problem with replacing the nic. I'd like for you to return the unused portion of the current bottle at my expense of course. I will get with you on Monday.

I can assure you that the nic isn't old. I'm more inclined to believe it was exposed to extensive heat at some point during shipping. These are the pains of shipping temperature sensitive products during summer months. You seem to suggest that we ship one nicotine in samples and another nicotine for larger orders. I assure you I have more integrity than to pull something such as that. Considering the length of time you have been buying nicotine I believe it's safe to say that you are aware that nicotine can go bad very fast if not properly stored which includes shipping.

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Here is an interesting article that will shed a little light on the characteristics of nicotine.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@AmandaD.. No worries. I have absolutely no problem with replacing the nic. I'd like for you to return the unused portion of the current bottle at my expense of course. I will get with you on Monday.

I can assure you that the nic isn't old. I'm more inclined to believe it was exposed to extensive heat at some point during shipping. These are the pains of shipping temperature sensitive products during summer months. You seem to suggest that we ship one nicotine in samples and another nicotine for larger orders. I assure you I have more integrity than to pull something such as that. Considering the length of time you have been buying nicotine I believe it's safe to say that you are aware that nicotine can go bad very fast if not properly stored which includes shipping.
Thank you. I've ordered during hot weather before and never had nicotine change like this.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
I have a year and a half old half bottle of teh VaporJoe MFS 100 mg nic that is much lighter than the pics.
Stored in the dark, room temp, original bottle...
@AmandaD
You seem to suggest that we ship one nicotine in samples and another nicotine for larger orders.
I assure you I have more integrity than to pull something such as that. Considering the length of time you have been buying nicotine I believe it's safe to say that you are aware that nicotine can go bad very fast if not properly stored which includes shipping.

Didn't the samples get 'shipped' too? o_O

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, I took 15ml of the ChemNic out of the liter bottle. It's sitting beside a 30ml bottle of VT TH that was out on my desk. As you can see, the ChemNic is only slightly darker in appearance, and these pics were taken with both bottles sitting on white paper to ensure clarity.

ODhA4Dg.jpg

I also made a 15ml test mix with 3% Inawera lemon cake, which I know is a shake and vape, at 6mg as opposed to my normal 3mg nicotine content to test for throat hit. I'm not getting any at 6mg, so I surely won't taste any at 3mg. I'm not getting any different aroma from the ChemNic than the VT. And the Wizard Labs test kit shows 98mg/ml, not far off enough to concern me.
For what it's worth, I'm quite a bit closer to ChemNic in South Carolina as I'm in Tennessee. I had this liter in a couple days and at the time, our famous southern heat had yet to kick in. I know how USPS handles our mail, be it letters or parcels, and loaded trucks are more often than not left sitting outside for durations of time, that's why I seldom order nicotine in a larger quantity during the spring/summer months.
It does appear much darker in the liter bottle, I agree. But when dispersed, the color lightens considerably and the fact remains that processing and bleaching is what makes our nicotine "clear" in appearance for any length of time.

fFq0qMB.jpg

As mine has passed the "sniff" and "taste" tests, as well as being tested at an acceptable nic level, it's going back in the freezer.

*** BTW, this is a shot of the "clear" VT, taken after it was poured into a clean white bottle.

dGccsgh.jpg

Last edited:

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, I took 15ml of the ChemNic out of the liter bottle

Thanx for the info and the pics! Thanks to everyone for the testing / pics / and info .. helps a lot to have the different results to compare with..

haven't cracked my bottle yet .. still waiting on some argon ;p will post as soon as I do tho! Thank you @ChemNic for standing by your product!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Okay, I took 15ml of the ChemNic out of the liter bottle. It's sitting beside a 30ml bottle of VT TH that was out on my desk. As you can see, the ChemNic is only slightly darker in appearance,

My PG Based was only faintly more yellow/golden than yours. Not a concern to me.

If heat during shipping is the darkening and/or oxidizing nic. culprit, I wonder why some folks would submit their nic. to even much higher temperatures with crockpots or other heating devices.

Ron
---
"I often wake up in the night, and I like to have something to think about."- Marilyn Monroe

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've often wondered that myself. Your juice gets darker with age as flavors "mingle" and nicotine does begin to oxidize. Nic is going to oxidize no matter what the circumstances, you can slow it down but you cannot stop it. I guess it's a "control issue," it'll age when I "tell it to." :rolleyes:

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess it's a "control issue," it'll age when I "tell it to." :rolleyes:

If you could supply that service over the internet, I'm thinking you would be Rich! :yes:

Ron
---
"I know the power obedience has of making things easy which seem impossible."- Saint Teresa of Avila

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mine came in looking like @Teresa P sample pic. Slight pink. No offensive odors. I live in VA, so it got here quickly. I've made several mixes so far with pleasant results. I am curious to test the nic strength but will need to purchase a test kit first. I was wondering if a mg test result could vary depending on the test kit(or even the age of kit)used such as one purchased from Wizard labs verses one purchased elsewhere. Never bought a test kit so I'm in the dark as to who offers them.

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
My PG Based was only faintly more yellow/golden than yours. Not a concern to me.

If heat during shipping is the darkening and/or oxidizing nic. culprit, I wonder why some folks would submit their nic. to even much higher temperatures with crockpots or other heating devices.

Ron
---
"I often wake up in the night, and I like to have something to think about."- Marilyn Monroe

While steeping your juice in heat will accelerate oxidation, the more diluted the concentrate the less concerns it is.

As I attempted to state above, the diy community has been mistrained to judge nic by its color. That is only partially true. Quality nic will not lose potency, will not become harsh or peppery for a very extended period of time regardless of color. Hence, oxidation doesn't mean the nic is bad. If it's smooth, not peppery and has a reasonable TH the nic is good. If, as I seen posted somewhere above, you have a bottle of that's a year and half old, still clear and hasn't been kept in the freezer, the only conclusion is the nic was bleached during processing. There's a lot of misinformation and misconception on the Internet about nicotine.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
I've often wondered that myself. Your juice gets darker with age as flavors "mingle" and nicotine does begin to oxidize. Nic is going to oxidize no matter what the circumstances, you can slow it down but you cannot stop it. I guess it's a "control issue," it'll age when I "tell it to." :rolleyes:
A few months ago, with your help Teresa, I learned the most important DIY lesson of my life...

It started with me wanting to compare 2 different brands, to see if premium nic was worth the price difference.
She was kind enough to send me some verrry clear nic to compare with my (at the time) 1 year old MFS nic.
But during the course of my testing, I had an idea and went off on a tangent...
I mixed up recipes both with and without the nic. Some were heat steeped and some were time steeped.
The difference was stunning... after a month, the nic juices were all turning brown, esp the heated ones.
...and the no nic juices were still clear, even after crock pot time.
It was so dramatic that I felt kinda stupid for not having known this earlier, but I do have a new mixing policy:

I NEVER steep with nicotine in the mix. I only add the nic when I'm ready to vape that bottle.

Now I steep either fast (heat) or slow (time) without the nic and my DIY juice is the exact same clarity as the day it was mixed. I pack it into 70 ml bottles and add ~4 mls of 100 mg nic (yields 6%) just before I vape it.

This has benefited me tremendously.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I NEVER steep with nicotine in the mix. I only add the nic when I'm ready to vape that bottle.

Some would argue that steeping doesn't even begin until the nicotine is added ... I say do whatever works best for you. :)

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
A few months ago, with your help Teresa, I learned the most important DIY lesson of my life...

It started with me wanting to compare 2 different brands, to see if premium nic was worth the price difference.
She was kind enough to send me some verrry clear nic to compare with my (at the time) 1 year old MFS nic.
But during the course of my testing, I had an idea and went off on a tangent...
I mixed up recipes both with and without the nic. Some were heat steeped and some were time steeped.
The difference was stunning... after a month, the nic juices were all turning brown, esp the heated ones.
...and the no nic juices were still clear, even after crock pot time.
It was so dramatic that I felt kinda stupid for not having known this earlier, but I do have a new mixing policy:

Now I steep either fast (heat) or slow (time) without the nic and my DIY juice is the exact same clarity as the day it was mixed. I pack it into 70 ml bottles and add ~4 mls of 100 mg nic (yields 6%) just before I vape it.

This has benefited me tremendously.

I've been making juice this way from the beginning. It really is the best method.

ChemNic

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Some would argue that steeping doesn't even begin until the nicotine is added ... I say do whatever works best for you. :)

I think there's a bonding that goes on with the flavors which is the most important part of the steeping process. I've found that steeping in the fridge works best for me. I heat it slightly (just enough to break the flavorings down a little) then place it in the fridge. I mean if you think about it there's a lot of foods that are better the next day after being in the fridge overnight.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm no chemist, but after reading about doing a titration test form NN and WL. I could see where a slight margin of error could occur. Certainly not saying it has happened to anyone in this thread testing nic. But I think slight margin is possible.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think there's a bonding that goes on with the flavors which is the most important part of the steeping process. I've found that steeping in the fridge works best for me. I heat it slightly (just enough to break the flavorings down a little) then place it in the fridge. I mean if you think about it there's a lot of foods that are better the next day after being in the fridge overnight.
I found steeping any juice in the fridge causes condensation inside the bottles

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm no chemist, but after reading about doing a titration test form NN and WL. I could see where a slight margin of error could occur. Certainly not saying it has happened to anyone in this thread testing nic. But I think slight margin is possible.
For sure it's possible. However, I checked 3 times - unlikely to be an error!

VU Sponsors