Become a Patron!

New mod...need help

Okay I need help finding the best kind of battery for my Emma clone mod I think its something like 18650 or 186500 I can't remember how many 0's... I don't know what brand is best..what does everybody suggest?
Also, cotton.. What kind of cotton does everybody use? Is there a difference in the cotton you use, what makes a certain kind better?
Thanks in advance!

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the battery type you are trying to say is 18650.. and the cotton is called Bacon cotton. dont use reg cotton. there is a method to using it from what i have heard, and is tricky. the bacon cotton is good i know a lot of good guys i trust and thats what they use and now i use. i am new to the group too and welcome. but i do know that on the battery numbers and cotton. 18mm 650 and bacon cotton

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, there's a lot more to it than just knowing the right battery size. There are 2 types of batteries in that size. Both are Li ion based rechargeables. There are ICR batteries, which are low discharge, low amperage batteries and tend to have a higher mAh rating. Usually maxing around 4500. These are the batteries you DO NOT VAPE WITH! That's how you lose body parts and start fires.
The CORRECT battery type is IMR Safe Chemistry batteries. These are rated for high discharge (usually up to 35a pulse ratings, depending on the manufacturer). And while they can still vent if improperly used, they normally won't do so as violently as an ICR battery. There is a tremendous amount of chemical energy stored in these batteries. And when over-stressed, via shorting it out or pulling an excessive amperage load, etc., they can fail in very violent and dangerous ways.
I'm not trying to scare you away from vaping, but this knowledge is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to vape safely.
For reliable batteries, I generally suggest getting Sony, Samsung, LG, IMREN, MXJO or Efest. But only use Efest if you know you are well below the maximum amperage.
http://www.steam-engine.org/
That is an excellent resource for learning about resistance, amperage, etc.
As far as cotton, organic unbleached is what you want. Cotton Bacon isn't bad. There's also some great Japanese cottons out there. Japanese organic cotton is my personal preference.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First two digits is the battery width in mm and the other three is the length, so a 186500 is out of the question unless you want to use it as a baton:)

There are no stupid batteries, just stupid people.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First two digits is the battery width in mm and the other three is the length, so a 186500 is out of the question unless you want to use it as a baton:)

There are no stupid batteries, just stupid people.
That would make a heck of a baton...
You could build a taser into it as well.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Use either Koh Gen Doh, Cotton Bacon, or Native Wicks. There are a few others out there but just avoid non-organic cotton. I personally like the Native Wicks myself.

spencerpearson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thank you for the info guys. as i am new too and learning right along with all the others. i only new the two little things about it.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's what we're here for. Sounds like you knew just enough to be dangerous. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Vape Safely, and cheers!

Ok, there's a lot more to it than just knowing the right battery size. There are 2 types of batteries in that size. Both are Li ion based rechargeables. There are ICR batteries, which are low discharge, low amperage batteries and tend to have a higher mAh rating. Usually maxing around 4500. These are the batteries you DO NOT VAPE WITH! That's how you lose body parts and start fires.
The CORRECT battery type is IMR Safe Chemistry batteries. These are rated for high discharge (usually up to 35a pulse ratings, depending on the manufacturer). And while they can still vent if improperly used, they normally won't do so as violently as an ICR battery. There is a tremendous amount of chemical energy stored in these batteries. And when over-stressed, via shorting it out or pulling an excessive amperage load, etc., they can fail in very violent and dangerous ways.
I'm not trying to scare you away from vaping, but this knowledge is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to vape safely.
For reliable batteries, I generally suggest getting Sony, Samsung, LG, IMREN, MXJO or Efest. But only use Efest if you know you are well below the maximum amperage.
http://www.steam-engine.org/
That is an excellent resource for learning about resistance, amperage, etc.
As far as cotton, organic unbleached is what you want. Cotton Bacon isn't bad. There's also some great Japanese cottons out there. Japanese organic cotton is my personal preference.
Also, for the batteries... I don't know how to put into words what I want to ask.. Okay its a drip tip and what not..like what is improper use? What makes a battery short? Because I think the one that was in mine was shorted out from harsh usage..like really long drags and back to back long drags... My friend that gave it to me wasn't exactly responsible..

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, for the batteries... I don't know how to put into words what I want to ask.. Okay its a drip tip and what not..like what is improper use? What makes a battery short? Because I think the one that was in mine was shorted out from harsh usage..like really long drags and back to back long drags... My friend that gave it to me wasn't exactly responsible..
That was very possibly the reason. You have to know the resistance of your build, and calculate the amperage it will pull. Ohm's law. The steam engine site (and app) is a great place to start. Be sure to read the "How it works" section. It seems like a lot of people don't really understand what they are doing with mech mods and RDAs. Not talking about you personally, but if this helps you at all, then good.
Vaping with a mech mod, and especially cloud chasing, is basically putting a very low-resistance short across a very high-potential battery. That's why understanding Ohm's Law, battery safety, the Amp ratings for the batteries you use, the difference between Pulse and Constant Amp ratings, etc., are so very important. When I got my first dripper and mech mod, I was fairly ignorant of the reality of what I was doing. A lot of people are. And I did some awfully stupid builds because I didn't realize how dangerous it was. Luckily, an employee of the B&M I go to happened to take a look at one of my builds and sat me down to explain the basics of battery safety to me. Let's just say that I no longer think 4 wrap 20 gauge dual coils are safe on a single battery mod, regardless of the battery. (Except maybe Sony VTC5s, but there aren't any authentic ones available anymore anyway).
Sorry if it sounds like I'm lecturing you. That's not really my intention, but battery safety is one of those topics you really can't ignore. I never want you to get hurt while vaping, and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

That was very possibly the reason. You have to know the resistance of your build, and calculate the amperage it will pull. Ohm's law. The steam engine site (and app) is a great place to start. Be sure to read the "How it works" section. It seems like a lot of people don't really understand what they are doing with mech mods and RDAs. Not talking about you personally, but if this helps you at all, then good.
Vaping with a mech mod, and especially cloud chasing, is basically putting a very low-resistance short across a very high-potential battery. That's why understanding Ohm's Law, battery safety, the Amp ratings for the batteries you use, the difference between Pulse and Constant Amp ratings, etc., are so very important. When I got my first dripper and mech mod, I was fairly ignorant of the reality of what I was doing. A lot of people are. And I did some awfully stupid builds because I didn't realize how dangerous it was. Luckily, an employee of the B&M I go to happened to take a look at one of my builds and sat me down to explain the basics of battery safety to me. Let's just say that I no longer think 4 wrap 20 gauge dual coils are safe on a single battery mod, regardless of the battery. (Except maybe Sony VTC5s, but there aren't any authentic ones available anymore anyway).
Sorry if it sounds like I'm lecturing you. That's not really my intention, but battery safety is one of those topics you really can't ignore. I never want you to get hurt while vaping, and I'm pretty sure you don't either.
Definitely not wanting to get hurt lol I'm just glad somebody knows what they are talking about and instead of laughing at all of the newbies they want to help you deserve a medal lol I'm going to the Carolina vapor mill today and will let you know what I get and if you don't agree then I will change the battery type

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Definitely not wanting to get hurt lol I'm just glad somebody knows what they are talking about and instead of laughing at all of the newbies they want to help you deserve a medal lol I'm going to the Carolina vapor mill today and will let you know what I get and if you don't agree then I will change the battery type
I'll be glad to give you some pointers on good batteries, but you will do yourself a far greater favor by spending some time doing your own research. That way you can expand your knowledge and understanding of the subject. And I realize you may not have time to do it before you go to the vape shop today, so I'll be glad to help you out. But I'll say this right off the bat. If they have Sony VTC4 batteries, that's what you want. If not, then LG HE4s, Samsung 25Rs, LG HE2s, MXJO or Efest. In that order.
There are several new brands that say they're made specifically for vaping, but as far as I can find out, they are just buying the cells from a Chinese manufacturer and putting their own shrink wrap on them (Vamped VaporCell, SubOhmCell).
As far as being trustworthy, those are basically the same as Efest and MXJO.
They're fine if you don't try to push them too close to their max ratings. Also, pretty much every manufacturer is labeling their batteries with the max PULSE rating these days, not the continuous rating. This means that if you buy, for example, a yellow MXJO 35A 2500mAh battery, the 35 amps is the MAXIMUM it is safely rated to output for a brief period, usually 1-10 seconds. It can only safely handle 10-15 amps steady discharge. It's a misleading labeling tactic, and I don't doubt it has probably caused injuries already.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But, most importantly, what mod and rda are you using, do you have a meter to check the resistance of your build, and what size and type of wire are your coils?
The best 18650 batteries in the world aren't safe if you don't build within their limits.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whatcha trying to say there, Robert?
Lol

VU Sponsors