Become a Patron!

New guy here

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey y'all,

I'm new here and brand new to vaping. Quit cigs a while ago but miss them and wanted something to replace it, been dipping a long time and want to quit that so hoping vape helps. I went to plumes which is now called alohoma, good a big adjustable voltage battery and was using iclear16 top coil tank. I also have a bottom coil tank but don't know the name. I dunno if I'm using it right or not sometimes it draws good sometimes not. Sometimes i get some liquid in where the tank screws on to the battery. I really like a flavor call Alec's Up All Night and a GNS flavor called Zombie Blood. I hope to learn a lot here. Can anyone tell me why my tounge might feel tingly or tasteless at times? And the other problems I listed earlier?

Thanks y'all,
Rnwb4l

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Redneck, what strength juice are you vaping? It may be too high for you and cause the tingle.
Also if the coils are not heating up, try a new coil, sometimes they can be duds and they also wear out over a period of time.

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started with 18 (recommended by the staff at the shop) but it made me sick, i use 3mg. currently. It doesnt make me sick. Lol just the tingles sometimes.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not too sure, the only other thing I can think of is your having a reaction to Flavorings or Vg or Pg.
If all else fails, maybe vaping is not for you?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, and welcome!

Those entry-level tanks are notorious for leaking and occasional bad coils - like @Whiskey says try changing out the coil to see if it helps. Also, depending on how thick/dark your juice is, those disposable coils will gunk up and just need to be changed out regularly anyway.

If you've got a drop or two of juice on your battery contact, wipe it off with a tiny bit of napkin or paper towel and go about your day - if more than that, you may have a problem with your device, or you may have left it in a hot car (thins out the juice and makes it leak) or gone through a change in altitude (increases air pressure and makes it leak). If not one of the latter two solutions, try changing the coil.

I can't say about the tongue tingliness, it may have something to do with a sensitivity to one of the flavors in your juice, or PG, or VG - as far as losing flavor, this is called "vaper's tongue" and happens to a lot of new folks, especially if you're vaping a lot and not drinking a lot of water. Try adding a few glasses of water to your daily routine, especially when you're losing your sense of taste or if you're vaping a lot.

18 mg seems like a lot of nicotine for a non-smoker right off the bat, but I can't say I really understand how nic consumption through dip works, so I wouldn't know how to directly compare what you might need to use to wean yourself off of that - if 3 mg is working, more power to you.

Let us know if this helps, or if it creates more problems/questions...we're here to help.

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right on. Thanks for the help. I hope it's not a bad reaction. I know its not pg, I have used a lot of other products with pg. And The e-cig disposables you get from the gas station don't bother me. The problem with those is they run out so fast i thought that getting a refillable tank would be beneficial and the liquid would be cheaper. I'm sure I'll get it dialed in eventually. Man there is so much info on this site! I don't understand half the terms like sub ohm (i know what ohms are) mech mod, it's so much info. I think this is going to be a great adventure. Thanks again

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once you get your hardware right and find some cheap options for juice (or start to make your own), the costs really start to come down. Unless, that is, you become a hobbyist and start spending more than you did on tobacco - I'm trying to keep my credit card in my wallet for a couple months so I'll hopefully hit the break-even point at somewhere around the 26-month mark...

Sub-ohm - exactly what it sounds like - vaping on a coil(s) with a resistance lower than 1.0 ohm. Generally produces bigger clouds, but burns through juice a lot faster and taxes batteries more - requires a more advanced device than an eGo-style (Sharpie marker size) battery.

Mech = "mechanical" mod - basically just a tube or box that holds a battery with a switch to deliver power to your atomizer (juice holder). Compares to "regulated" mods, where a control chip allows you to adjust power output and has safety features built in to stop you from over-discharging a battery and possibly causing venting/explosion.

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My battery is the size of a, Sharpe marker it's like 2200mah or something. It has a dial on the bottom to adjust the voltage or i can switch it to watts.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sounds like you either have a eGo Twist or Spinner.

Pretty much the same thing different names.

As far as your tongue is concerned, drink lots of water. Vaping dehydrates your mouth tissues.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What you've got is called an eGo Twist - there are even more basic eGos that don't have the twist-dial at the bottom to change the voltage. Personally I used those and bottom-coil clearos to get off the cigarettes, they were the go-to for me for almost a year and even longer for my wife. If it works for you, great! Just don't try to use any sub-ohm toppers with that tank, they'll only support a minimum resistance of 1.5 ohm or so...

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So does my eGo have those safety features built-in or is it possible to blow a battery in my face/cause gassing? This thing didn't come with an operator's manual or instructions. All i know it's the white light is voltage the blue light is watts the red light is low bat and if you push button three times changes volts to watts, five times is off. That's about it. Haha!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So does my eGo have those safety features built-in or is it possible to blow a battery in my face/cause gassing? This thing didn't come with an operator's manual or instructions. All i know it's the white light is voltage the blue light is watts the red light is low bat and if you push button three times changes volts to watts, five times is off. That's about it. Haha!
Like @Whiskey says, most likely reaction if you try to put something unsafe on it is that it just won't fire, maybe the light will flash a couple times to let you know your resistance is too low.

Still, the safety features on eGos, while better than nothing at all, aren't foolproof - so don't try to fire anything below 1.5 ohm.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU.
As you can see, lots of helpful people here.
Keep
Calm
and
Vape
On

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the welcome, and yes there is lots of helpful people here! Does anyone have a suggestion on what i should set my voltage at? I can adjust from 3.6-5.0, the guy at the shop said 4.2 is where i should start. If i ho down in voltage do y'all think it may help my tounge? Or should I go up in voltage?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The general recommendation is to start low and gradually work your way up until you find the ideal spot for your juice, your atomizer, and your taste...start too high and you risk burning your wick.

I'm still not sure what the deal is with your tongue, but you could certainly try a lower voltage to see if it helps...

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well the way y'all describe vapor tounge I assume that may be it. Started drinking water while vaping and it seemed to help.

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe i got it too high and im steaming my tounge so to speak.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could be - does it feel like there's any hot juice spitting out of the atomizer into your mouth?

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sometimes, and sometimes there is a loud pop and it feels like a hot bubble bursting on my tounge

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It could just be the nature of your topper, or it could be a little too hot - does turning it down help any?

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Firstly-welcome!! I stopped vaping for a long time because of the same problems you mentioned. I used the same type of batteries with the little mini tanks. Recently when i moved i threw out a shoebox full of that stuff. It was like 1 out of every 20 hits was satisfying. The rest of the time the tank would gurgle, or spit in my mouth. Or sometimes nothing would happen and i'd get just a little puff of vapor. I thought maybe vaping just wasn't for me so i went back to smoking. LUCKILY for you there are now a lot of really awesome, fairly inexpensive setups that actually work. Setups like the Ego One, and the Aspire Subohm battery help entry level vaping become a good experience for most. There's also a world of small adjustable boxes if you don't mind the funny shape that work super well. A friend of mine is new and had the same setup you mentioned (ego-twist style and a small tank of some sort). I turned her onto a Sigelei 50w and a Kanger Subtank Nano and she absolutely loves it. There are a lotta folks here from every imaginable vaping style, so the best thing you can do is figure out what you'd like to get from your vaping experience. The awesome folks here will be happy to help you find it :D

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@OBDave my batt died late-night and my charger wouldn't charge it, I'm currently charging with replacement charger. We'll try lower voltage when charged. I got a new tank while there. It's a dual coil Tank. It is kind of small. But the lady at the shop said it may help as i take long slow draws. @scarecrowjenkins I want to quit dip and not go back to smoking analog. That's what i want above all else

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok dialed it back to 3.8v and with the new tank, man life is good. I get big clouds and no popping. I think it even taste better lol.

redneckwb4l

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! It's great to be here. It's hard to find a good forum and so far I'm impressed

VU Sponsors