Become a Patron!

Need king size bed frame recommendations

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is probably weird posting this but idk where to turn to. I looked at Amazon and many other sites but you can't tell the real reviews from the fake ones. Some say they're durable, some say they break.

So anyone have one they use and are happy with? I think I'd like a metal one that does not require a box spring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been looking into the same thing myself. I'm tired of box springs that get creaky after awhile.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
following as well. I never got a frame for my current mattress/box-spring combo which is in need of being replaced I think, especially if I decide to move to my own place like I have been considering recently.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
following as well. I never got a frame for my current mattress/box-spring combo which is in need of being replaced I think, especially if I decide to move to my own place like I have been considering recently.
Same. I'm moving in about a month and want to throw out my box spring.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, nobody with personal experience has popped in to help us out yet, lol.

I've been looking at the Zinus bed frames. There have been some youtube reviews, here's a short one.

Thanks, I never thought to check youtube. I'll keep that one in mind.

fuseryder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The bed I have is very close to this, absolutely love it. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore. Built in night stands and storage, you won't believe howuch space you save.
e8a3ec1cedf5dbe93c434980a935c5cb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

zaptear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years

I've been looking at the Zinus bed frames. There have been some youtube reviews, here's a short one.

But how would that stand up to the pounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Amazon questions and reviews are all positive on that one. It's at the top of my list.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The bed I have is very close to this, absolutely love it. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore. Built in night stands and storage, you won't believe howuch space you save.

Wow that's awesome and for sure out of my price range. Lol

fuseryder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow that's awesome and for sure out of my price range. Lol

It was about 1k from Value City furniture 6 years ago, who knows how much they are now

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I dunno but one of the reviewers on Amazon I read said he was big boy, 350# or so, and did fat man leap onto it and the bed survived. :eek:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We got this for my daughter's bed a couple years ago, has a memory foam mattress on it with no box spring. Very comfy, lots of storage space underneath, and I have a dust ruffle on it to hide the space under it. Very affordable, but there are plenty of other selections from here too, some fancier than others.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zinus-14-Metal-Platform-Bed-Multiple-Sizes/53838153

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We got this for my daughter's bed a couple years ago, has a memory foam mattress on it with no box spring. Very comfy, lots of storage space underneath, and I have a dust ruffle on it to hide the space under it. Very affordable, but there are plenty of other selections from here too, some fancier than others.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zinus-14-Metal-Platform-Bed-Multiple-Sizes/53838153

Perfect. If it's good enough for you it's good enough for me. Thanks for chiming in. :)

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
If you are going to have a memory foam mattress you can rip or have a hardware store rip you some plywood to fill the base of whatever you buy. If you fit it tight it will make the base more rigid and you will get more life out of your mattress. Doesn't need to be super thick either. 11/32 ply will do a fine job and keep the mattress firm and even.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

.[/quote]

I was going to suggest a Platform Bed and I have almost the same except to Night Stands built in

Have you slept in a heart shaped bed? Something that is never thought of is that there's no place for your feet. Y'all better get real comfy with exactly one place to stretch your feet. I didn't even make it through one whole night. And beyond sleeping? You need to be completely turned around for that to work and even then it's limited. No gymnastics. ;-D If you decide to build it just make sure you give yourself an extra couple feet of length at the bottom. The bottom point of the heart can maybe be throwaway space.I personally simply bought one

Last edited by a moderator:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just throw the box spring and mattress on the floor.
Makes a certain position much easier!

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just throw the box spring and mattress on the floor.

This is how I have been rolling the past decade+. I kinda wish I could throw storage tubs/boxes under my bed so my closets weren't so crowded with crap.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I still have about 30 days before I need one. Got this one on my watch list.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need a new mattress. Sleeping in the dreaded dished out old mattress and I want to get rid of the creeky box springs at the same time for a new bed frame.

Sleeping in the divot isn't all that bad for me right now, it's comfortable enough, so replacing everything is on my list of projects.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
This is how I have been rolling the past decade+. I kinda wish I could throw storage tubs/boxes under my bed so my closets weren't so crowded with crap.
Same here, only about 20 years.
Plus if you roll out of bed in your sleep, it won't hurt as much!

DrVapenstein

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
my advice is find an inexpensive unfinished hardwood frame that has slats close enough together that it's suitable for memory foam or futons, and tung oil it. I've purchased several maple frames like that and they are much nicer than anything else and sit lower which I also like. It's a real piece of furniture vs some cheap Chinese scrap metal that squeaks until it breaks.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

We actually bought a bedframe like that and set it inside our antique wooden bed frame to support a memory foam mattress without a foundation underneath. I love it. Only thing I would change is I'd get (or make) some anchors to fasten the mattress to the frame so that it wouldn't slide. Ours slides a little, but of course it isn't a big deal to just pull it back into place.

Those platforms add some firmness to whatever mattress you use on top of them.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

That is gorgeous. Dang. Looks like walnut, bet it weighs 500 pounds!

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

this is what i did, then put plywood on it. works really good.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm wondering what the OP went with. I know it's a necro thread but for people who may come across it quite a few suggestions of using a plywood base under the mattress. Probably better not to, the type of mattresses that usually require a platform bed like latex, memory foam etc need to breathe. It may not happen right away but having a closed off surface like plywood can lead to mold/mildew. Slatted or some variation are a better answer.

Those metal frames that come folded up seem to be a mixed bag. Some say they work great, quite a few report issues of squeaking from the bolts and things between the frame members, others have said they're not all that big and yet bent the side of the frame when sitting on the edge of the bed. They usually say they hold some crazy amount like 1400lbs or something and I'm sure they do. If the load is evenly distributed. Eggs on end or paper tubes with a nice level fully distributed load can carry a shit ton of weight but not once it's off balance or the weight is localized to the side rail.

I've still got to get one made myself, definitely need to light a fire under my ass and get it done this spring/summer. Won't be anything super sexy like walnut or maple, even living in the boonies it's scarce to find affordable rough cut hardwood. Shit costs a small fortune and nowhere local. The few mills I've hit up aren't interested and basically point me back to the hobby packs at the borgs. So the challenge will be to use cheap ass pine construction lumber and have it come out looking halfassed decent. lol. Should be stronger than whatever I can buy for reasonable prices and likely cost a bit less.

It'll be some work but I think it'll be worth it doing it right. So many diy sites got people smacking it together with pocket hole screws or just screwing shit together face to face so the fastener's trying to support all the weight. Not to mention designs that might be fine for a flower bed or fast/nasty outdoor project but that doesn't take into account racking forces of a bed. Not that I see much extracurricular action these days, I just don't want to wake up with my ass on the floor lmao.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
. So the challenge will be to use cheap ass pine construction lumber and have it come out looking halfassed decent. lol. Should be stronger than whatever I can buy for reasonable prices and likely cost a bit less.

polystain works very well on pine.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Plywood under the mattress works great, future readers.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm wondering what the OP went with. I know it's a necro thread but for people who may come across it quite a few suggestions of using a plywood base under the mattress. Probably better not to, the type of mattresses that usually require a platform bed like latex, memory foam etc need to breathe. It may not happen right away but having a closed off surface like plywood can lead to mold/mildew. Slatted or some variation are a better answer.

Those metal frames that come folded up seem to be a mixed bag. Some say they work great, quite a few report issues of squeaking from the bolts and things between the frame members, others have said they're not all that big and yet bent the side of the frame when sitting on the edge of the bed. They usually say they hold some crazy amount like 1400lbs or something and I'm sure they do. If the load is evenly distributed. Eggs on end or paper tubes with a nice level fully distributed load can carry a shit ton of weight but not once it's off balance or the weight is localized to the side rail.

I've still got to get one made myself, definitely need to light a fire under my ass and get it done this spring/summer. Won't be anything super sexy like walnut or maple, even living in the boonies it's scarce to find affordable rough cut hardwood. Shit costs a small fortune and nowhere local. The few mills I've hit up aren't interested and basically point me back to the hobby packs at the borgs. So the challenge will be to use cheap ass pine construction lumber and have it come out looking halfassed decent. lol. Should be stronger than whatever I can buy for reasonable prices and likely cost a bit less.

It'll be some work but I think it'll be worth it doing it right. So many diy sites got people smacking it together with pocket hole screws or just screwing shit together face to face so the fastener's trying to support all the weight. Not to mention designs that might be fine for a flower bed or fast/nasty outdoor project but that doesn't take into account racking forces of a bed. Not that I see much extracurricular action these days, I just don't want to wake up with my ass on the floor lmao.
I got this one for $250. It's been about a year and a half and it's still rocking.

It's pretty solid and looks nice imo. I have wood floors so sometimes it will move a little bit during certain activities haha

c912b439651488bf3cadae6f40ba10d3.jpg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got this one for $250. It's been about a year and a half and it's still rocking.

It's pretty solid and looks nice imo. I have wood floors so sometimes it will move a little bit during certain activities haha

c912b439651488bf3cadae6f40ba10d3.jpg

That looks pretty sturdy. Not sure about the slat spacing though, the company mentioned like 4.7" between the slats on the queen (size I've got). They do look to be the traditional flat slats as opposed to the flexed euro slats. My mom's has held up pretty well but she's got a smaller bed and she's a fair bit smaller than I am. She's also got a lighter memory foam mattress vs my latex. I think 3-3.5" is about the most I can go with slat spacing.

I'll have to check the polystain Jinx'd mentioned. I already know pine doesn't really stain for shit, not looking to paint it though. And I'm not overly concerned so long as it looks decent it's good enough. Not like I'm expecting heirloom quality or accuracy like some people will look at it and be like oh my god that's an oak color but the grain pattern is inaccurate because it's pine. I have shitty walmart ikea crap in the room lmfao. Pretty sure I can throw something together for around 100, planning to get 2x10 or 2x12 and rip them down so at least it's a little better southern yellow pine.

Only thing I haven't really decided yet is whether I'll be better off using some sort of wedge like a wedged half dovetail for the rails or go with something like mortise and tenon with bolts. If I go with bolts it'll just be cheapy 3/8" stuff from Lowe's. Not tryin to pay the crazy ass prices at Rockler where they want $8 a bolt plus $25 for a square drive wrench. $100 in bed bolts, I think not. lol

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That looks pretty sturdy. Not sure about the slat spacing though, the company mentioned like 4.7" between the slats on the queen (size I've got). They do look to be the traditional flat slats as opposed to the flexed euro slats. My mom's has held up pretty well but she's got a smaller bed and she's a fair bit smaller than I am. She's also got a lighter memory foam mattress vs my latex. I think 3-3.5" is about the most I can go with slat spacing.

I'll have to check the polystain Jinx'd mentioned. I already know pine doesn't really stain for shit, not looking to paint it though. And I'm not overly concerned so long as it looks decent it's good enough. Not like I'm expecting heirloom quality or accuracy like some people will look at it and be like oh my god that's an oak color but the grain pattern is inaccurate because it's pine. I have shitty walmart ikea crap in the room lmfao. Pretty sure I can throw something together for around 100, planning to get 2x10 or 2x12 and rip them down so at least it's a little better southern yellow pine.

Only thing I haven't really decided yet is whether I'll be better off using some sort of wedge like a wedged half dovetail for the rails or go with something like mortise and tenon with bolts. If I go with bolts it'll just be cheapy 3/8" stuff from Lowe's. Not tryin to pay the crazy ass prices at Rockler where they want $8 a bolt plus $25 for a square drive wrench. $100 in bed bolts, I think not. lol
That's insane for bolts. I design custom fasteners for the major car companies. Most cost pennies to manufacture. Some stainless steel can get up to maybe 15-20 cents lol.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

if you sand the wood smooth, it will look really nice. the big piece, thats a stair tread i use as a seat for the mud room, it was already smooth. the other piece is a tester, just plain ol pine board. yes, pine doesn't stain well at all, the stain soakes in at different rates.
the poly-stain pretty much eliminates that. but, make your own testers so you have first hand experience.

20200307_100407.jpg 20200307_100435.jpg

VU Sponsors