Become a Patron!

need help with 1st time build

hey whats up guys? My knowledge of building coils is very minimum but i get the basics. To start off ill say i have some 24g coil wire at .3 ohms, I know how to wrap it correctly but im not sure how big of loops to make. I have a Tug boat that I got from a friend and he never used it so he had no tips on building coils. Anyways, i attempted my first coils and they are very small and tightly wound. But the problem i have is all i taste is the cotton and zero flavor. I am using Japanese organic cotton aswell, if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Photos always help! Also, the diameter of the wraps along with how many wrap is what determines the resistance. You have an ohm reader? And what sort of tool are you wrapping your coils around?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, too much cotton. In addition, you need to have space under the coil for airflow. The coils should be at the level of the air holes of the RDA.
Do a google search for "coil build tutorials", you should find plenty videos to watch.
Most important, get an Ohm meter!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It looks like you're using an iStick 50, which has an on-board ohm meter - you should still have a standalone unit, they're cheap and it's always better to have something to check against, as the iSticks (and just about any other device) can sometimes go wonky.

I agree with @Neunerball - the cotton looks a little over-done. While it does take some time to break in new cotton (never more than a dozen hits for me back when I used it), you shouldn't be tasting it for too long. Having too much stuffed inside the coils could do that.

Here's where I'll link to my big "new builders" post:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

There's a lot in there, but particularly helpful will be some comments on using Steam Engine (including repetition of the advice that you NEED an ohm meter), and a link to a post from @scarecrowjenkins (who's already replied here as well) with a nice step-by-step on how to properly wick with Japanese cotton...

It looks like you're using an iStick 50, which has an on-board ohm meter - you should still have a standalone unit, they're cheap and it's always better to have something to check against, as the iSticks (and just about any other device) can sometimes go wonky.

I agree with @Neunerball - the cotton looks a little over-done. While it does take some time to break in new cotton (never more than a dozen hits for me back when I used it), you shouldn't be tasting it for too long. Having too much stuffed inside the coils could do that.

Here's where I'll link to my big "new builders" post:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

There's a lot in there, but particularly helpful will be some comments on using Steam Engine (including repetition of the advice that you NEED an ohm meter), and a link to a post from @scarecrowjenkins (who's already replied here as well) with a nice step-by-step on how to properly wick with Japanese cotton...

The ohms on this build i have in right now is .3ohms according to my istick, i have figured out how to properly wick the coils and now its working great! Thanks for all the help everyone i do appreciate it! i will keep everyone updated about how this worked for me, here is a little video of how the coils look

VU Sponsors