Become a Patron!

Need help on new mod choice.

Not sure where to start but looking for a new mod. All im into is simple tank setup you put coil in and go. But the tech inside the mod is game on

I started with 18650 mods then went to built in battery mainly because you weren't supposed to recharge them via the mod. But im slightly cheap and having to buy 4+ batteries and a charger again doesnt sound fun. My flashlight for work has the same style but you charge it through type c.

Mods i had
Drag S pro *love it but has design flaws no vape and charge, and fill port is stupid now it leaks and i havent had it that long.
Smok rpm5 old trusty only time it lets me down is on the hit vs the drag s. On the same watt and ohm its not satisfying

Im not looking at pod systems, but the T200 kit has my attention

I'll post more later on today but this should help out

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
But those flashlight batteries probably don't have enough amps to vape with.
And you no way should use a flashlight to charge vaping batteries.
So are you now ready to buy batteries and at least a 2 bay charger?

If to stop smoking, it doesn't take long to burn up a buck & 1/2 on cigarettes.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You might find that the bulk of mod devices with internal batteries are what we call micro-mods, because they are too small to put batteries in. The down side to such devices is that the life of the mod is only as long as the life of the battery, and so it is effectively disposable, no matter how much you pay for it.

If you have enough patience to replace coils and refill tanks, you should be patient enough to change batteries. Having a battery charger to put batteries in while you are using the mod is something most of us do. Heck... some of us have dozens of batteries, because they don't last forever, and will need to be replaced eventually. It just makes sense.

Think about it. 4 batteries and a 4 bay charger will cost you less than 2 weeks worth of cigarettes.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
First... what style of vaping do you like (MTL, restricted DL or full blown DL)? This basically relates to wattage used and air flow (MTL less, DL more)
Get some good batteries! Depending on how many watts you use (and if it's single or dual battery mod) you choose a battery with appropriate continuous amp rating.
Hey... I just got a new 4-bay charger. I will give you my old simple 2-bay charger (if you get some good batteries) I will send you a "PM" (conversation) if you are interested.
There is nothing wrong with mods that have internal batteries (I have both internal and external types)
I'm busy but will look up you current mods later.
Where are you located? No need to be specific... which county and if US which state?

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You might find that the bulk of mod devices with internal batteries are what we call micro-mods, because they are too small to put batteries in. The down side to such devices is that the life of the mod is only as long as the life of the battery, and so it is effectively disposable, no matter how much you pay for it.

If you have enough patience to replace coils and refill tanks, you should be patient enough to change batteries. Having a battery charger to put batteries in while you are using the mod is something most of us do. Heck... some of us have dozens of batteries, because they don't last forever, and will need to be replaced eventually. It just makes sense.

Think about it. 4 batteries and a 4 bay charger will cost you less than 2 weeks worth of cigarettes.
Try dozens of dozens of batteries. And 1 8 bay, 2 4 bays and 3 2 bay chargers.
Lmao

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Bit the normal vaper could esily get by with 6 batteries and 1 2 bay charger.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I have a great 4 bay that i hardly use but the features are there when I want them. My 2 bay gets most all the work, shows %age, voltage, and amps. All you need on an everyday basis. Have 3 chargers.

I just put an older but working Nitcore 4 bay 18650 charger with 1 broken spring so it's 3 bay, in the trash can. It's still there for the price of shipping it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the bulk of mod devices with internal batteries are what we call micro-mods

And they usually got coil head assemblies requiring those fucking micro coils only birds have business screwing with. Arrrgh ... fucking micro coils, Arrrghh!!! *Wanders off having twitching fits and muttering weird various language curses unintelligibly*

I didn't realize my dumb post blew up generally i rush the comment or squirrel *lets see if anyone getsthe reference. Never really smoked cigs but started vaping in 2017 in the rough patch in my life. Fun fact i used to drink quite heavy have yet to have alcohol since December 2022 *no major trouble thankfully. But if vape is the worst habbit i got then im doing good. Come to think of it caffeine is addictive but yet its not frowned like other.
Not sure what i prefer vape wise i keep the airflow maxed open. I tend to favor higher watt coils haven't played with rebuilding ones maybe one day. And dessert based for the liquid helps satisfy the sweet tooth i get. *strawberry cheese cake is what im runnin, the in house blen not as good as the other brand i had prior to

I assume my flashlight uses 1 18650 will double check tomorrow. Sucker on full bright 2k lumens she gets quite warm.
But i ended up getting the T200 saw it in navy blue, had to have it didn't get a charger with 60ml, 2 batteries and mod $150
according to the guy who is probably smarter then me said it wasnt needed? Will end up getting a 2 bay and another set next time im out running around for my job just to play it safe. So far since this morning i put about 200 hits and still at 60% at 70-80 watts the drag s it wouldn't make it half a day. It feels very nice and hits harder and smoother then my previous ones. This Sherman tank of a mod better last me, website claims its tough. If not a well placed headshot might save me one day.
my line of work+my dumb self=hard on stuff. Gotta remember button the shirt pocket so the mod doesn't escape. Quite funny seeing me work and the mod flies out in 2 pieces when it hits the ground *magnetic connector

If i remember correctly my drag s pro she got hot charging. Havent tried the new one yet stay tuned.

I remember those miro coils i think one of my mods it was a gold corba head kit one. It was quite funny seeing the coils, i have noticed since my smok mag 2017 the quality and tech has improved.

I had pod systems before they are decent but wierd hitting.

Quite funny how i can derail my own comment. After reading this Fucked up comment.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Show or tell us the exact flashlight. TBH, I think ur living dangerously with flashlight batteries and a flashlight charger. Knowledge for batteries we vape with is a whole nother unfathomable animal. It's NOT just a bout size, or just anything to charge. There's a ton to be learned about batteries specifically for vape. Not that simple.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And they usually got coil head assemblies requiring those fucking micro coils only birds have business screwing with. Arrrgh ... fucking micro coils, Arrrghh!!! *Wanders off having twitching fits and muttering weird various language curses unintelligibly*
Many of the micro-mods have 510 threading, so you can put whatever atty on them, but larger ones will look weird. And not many want the ego style ones that are being phased out and are practically impossible to get anymore.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Flashlights generally use button top batteries, and do not have the same outputs as batteries for vaping devices. Vaping devices will use batteries with flat tops, and they are not interchangeable. I suggest you do not attempt to alter your batteries in any way, shape, or form, for your own safety.

9Show or tell us the exact flashlight. TBH, I think ur living dangerously with flashlight batteries and a flashlight charger. Knowledge for batteries we vape with is a whole nother unfathomable animal. It's NOT just a bout size, or just anything to charge. There's a ton to be learned about batteries specifically for vape. Not that simple.
since im not at the shop its a nebo slide 2k cost $60 at my local napa. Highly recommend it looking at if needed. the 6k lumen model is my next purchase for the light department for what purpose i have no idea.
*https://nebo.acgbrands.com/en_US/slyde-king-2k-flashlight.html

It does list 18650 at 2200mah *has been charged at least 4 times since i had it about 2 months
My vape is the same but its 3500mah

$60 for a nice 4 bay with 2 batt isnt bad *same brand imern. Kinda like keeping the brand the same that way if something goes wrong its not because the wish.com battery charger failed.

Not sure what others use at the shop flashight wise but if its usb it get put on the usb power strip *dont recall anything bad happening
power tools get the special charger makes me wonder if charging via usb whatever is bad on them why allow it? After all the government makes everything safety minded. I do like using the correct tools but a flat head screw driver is muti purpose so???

Last edited:
Come to think lithium ion has been around for awhile, i remember the note 7 had exploding battery issues. Dont recall charging methods being the reason. My gear isnt cheap i get name brand trusted products by ankler. They never let me down yet while belkin has failed me even though my ppwer strip is belkin and it hasnt let me down yet *it proved itself years ago keeping my entertainment center safe from a storm... it doesn't matter what adapter you have your device will only pull what it can take in. In my case i dont have a usb plug that puts out 20+ watts where my phone s23 ultra can do 25watts max.

If one helps me understand why, not because internet said *hard facts not going off 5+ years ago tech. Its like changing your oil every 3k miles no need in it with modern technology.
Thays why i say what i say using my knowledge of batteries. I might be right or wrong but we all learn. So far charging the mod its cooler then my drag s pro was and it was built in battery i think 3000mah?

Looking at my username dont assume 21 is age related its my go to number for some damn reason.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Many of the micro-mods have 510 threading, so you can put whatever atty on them, but larger ones will look weird. And not many want the ego style ones that are being phased out and are practically impossible to get anymore.

Agreed on pretty much all of that. I used to put big hoking RDAs on Itatze stick mods. It looked terrible but did work. Could do the same with the old eGo batteries. A lot of the RM2s and Arro used the micro-coils. They were keen to fit the universal Smok Tech coil assembly, like the original Nautilus tanks did, as did many other various atties during that phase of time. That was all the "universal" coil assembly took, too, micro-coils.

Here's an image of them, and apologies for slight misspeaking. It was the Pro Tank series that took these, not Nautilus, although I know some which adapted them for those.

1688736104163.jpeg

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Thays why i say what i say using my knowledge of batteries. I might be right or wrong but we all learn.
Well, some use what knowledge they have, apply common sense, and deduce an answer. Human nature. But we've been trying to say to you that batteries for vaping are very important, THE most important part. And not that simple.

$60 for a nice 4 bay with 2 batt isnt bad *same brand imern. Kinda like keeping the brand the same that way if something goes wrong its not because the wish.com battery charger failed.
So they are imren batteries. No one would have suggested that brand, for good reason. Imren doesn't make batteries. They buy from manuf'r and put whatever specs they want on their label. And Imren specifically, intentionally and grossly overrate those specs. So if you got the gold, ooor the green, it isn't what it says it is. They do not have the amps they say they have. And there are no 18650 batteries to vape with in your setup that are 3500mah. ZERO. Mah is not the important factor.

IDK what imren charger you got or if they even make one for 21700's, because I don't care what products they have, but if you ever buy a mod that takes 21700 you'll most likely have to buy another charger too.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, some use what knowledge they have, apply common sense, and deduce an answer. Human nature. But we've been trying to say to you that batteries for vaping are very important, THE most important part. And not that simple.

And @Vape Fan is correct. A bit of guidance though can help. You could search for Mooch and get his view on batteries. He is exceptional in his knowledge. Full credit to him, I give. Still, I choose to go my own way a bit. What I've seen as a consensus is wide use of Molicel batteries, at least for 18650s. I buy from IMR. Some also prefer the Sony brand.

IMR does reputable business. They rewrap batteries, but not to deceive. They have very strict inventory control and safety policies in place. The wrapping they use is thicker and safer for the batteries, people. What IMR advertises is what you get. No, I'm not a shill, influencer, ad man for them, only a satisfied customer.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
since im not at the shop its a nebo slide 2k cost $60 at my local napa. Highly recommend it looking at if needed. the 6k lumen model is my next purchase for the light department for what purpose i have no idea.
*https://nebo.acgbrands.com/en_US/slyde-king-2k-flashlight.html

It does list 18650 at 2200mah *has been charged at least 4 times since i had it about 2 months

Not sure what others use at the shop flashight wise but if its usb it get put on the usb power strip *dont recall anything bad happening
power tools get the special charger makes me wonder if charging via usb whatever is bad on them why allow it? After all the government makes everything safety minded. I do like using the correct tools but a flat head screw driver is muti purpose so???
Ahem... government makes everything safety minded? When does the government makes anything but laws and taxes? Corporations never pay much heed to those anyways. If they did, those Tesla vehicles wouldn't be auto-crashing, or instantaneously erupting into bonfires. By the way, they have lithium ion batteries in them. They could be safer. Does Musk care? Dunno.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ahem... government makes everything safety minded?

"The nine most dangerous words in the English language. 'I'm from the government and here to offer help'." -- Ronald Reagan

Not political, merely citing a factual quote made by a former POTUS. Granted, the fellow had "Old Timer's", a person can still appreciate the wit proffered. At worst, it's satirical commentary on how everything is what it is.

Maybe despite his "old timer's", he was onto something? I couldn't say either way, merely expressing a thought. Here's me, a peaceful anarchist working for the county government in public service. I'm a pile it /pilot. I pile dirt here, pile dirt there.

Last edited:

So they are imren batteries. No one would have suggested that brand, for good reason. Imren doesn't make batteries. They buy from manuf'r and put whatever specs they want on their label. And Imren specifically, intentionally and grossly overrate those specs. So if you got the gold, ooor the green, it isn't what it says it is. They do not have the amps they say they have. And there are no 18650 batteries to vape with in your setup that are 3500mah. ZERO. Mah is not the important factor.

IDK what imren charger you got or if they even make one for 21700's, because I don't care what products they have, but if you ever buy a mod that takes 21700 you'll most likely have to buy another charger too.
Interesting they are the gold. So i was pretty much lied to? I saw the charger on Amazon glad i didnt order it. But so far they are holding there own. And i was vaping 80 watts since 6 a.m still have 50% left.

What batteries would be good longest lasting preferred.

This is why fourms are handy..

Ahem... government makes everything safety minded? When does the government makes anything but laws and taxes? Corporations never pay much heed to those anyways. If they did, those Tesla vehicles wouldn't be auto-crashing, or instantaneously erupting into bonfires. By the way, they have lithium ion batteries in them. They could be safer. Does Musk care? Dunno.
They put warning labels on everything like the tide pod deal. Might be a tad dumb, but wise enough to know what is safe vs not. Didnt try to make it political but sometimes its worth it.

I do agree people do need to slow down and do the job right. Speed aint nothin without quality.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Interesting they are the gold. So i was pretty much lied to? I saw the charger on Amazon glad i didnt order it. But so far they are holding there own. And i was vaping 80 watts since 6 a.m still have 50% left.

Can you take pic or link a pick to the gold you have?
Any external charger is better than charging in the mod.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Here's earth's, batteries for vaping expert on your 30A Imren.

I use 'made for protected 21700's' becasue those are longer than the one's we use so you don't have to stretch the slide's spring to the max or rub the batteries wrap to get it in and out. Easy 2 finger operation. I've broke pcb's on 3 chargers before they had this type more mainstream.

Have an Xtar X2 - the upgraded one. It says upgraded or extended, or the spec says for protected 21700. Its a 2 bay, they have 4 bay +

Have a Vapecell S4 Plus - again the updated version for the longer cells.

Both are the upgraded versions so have to make sure your not getting the original because they look the same in pics.

there's some YT's on them. One is full featured and the Xtar x2 has those 3 indicatoer I mentioned earlier - it's usb or outlet. 1A each bay with outlet or high powered usb, .5A per for standard usb connection.
1688763789524.png
Thats a 21700 in there.

I'm sure there are other brands with that feature but I don't know which, I stopped looking after those because I felt they were best for me.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
So if you take your 10amps per battery in a regulated mod, and apply the math, it will tell you the amount of watts you can use with it. unfurl="true"]https://www.facebook.com/batterymoo...culating-the-current-being-/1751349948487917/[/URL]

Max Amps Per Battery = (40W / 3.2V) / 0.95 = 12A pr batt.
40w pr batt cuz you said 80w
3.2 is min voltage
X .95 becasue no mod has 100% efficiency, some are closer to 85 or 90, but...for now we use 95.

33/3.2x.95=9.8A so about 33watts max - a little less

Last edited:
Thank you, definitely hate spending money on sorry stuff. Not sure about others if im dropping money want to make sure either price=better product or not get screwed over aka belkin/att branded stuff.

So if you take your 10amps per battery in a regulated mod, and apply the math, it will tell you the amount of watts you can use with it.

Max Amps Per Battery = (40W / 3.2V) / 0.95 = 12A pr batt.
40w pr batt cuz you said 80w
3.2 is min voltage
X .95 becasue no mod has 100% efficiency, some are closer to 85 or 90, but...for now we use 95.
80 watts is what i vape at not sure about the math you got.

Havent vaped at 80 watts i think 60 watts out of my drag s pro was the most in several years. minus small hits decided to see how of a cloud i can make YES... asked my friend/co worker if he wanted a hit after seeing that he didnt want that. *he hits the disposable $10 kind. And decent cloud.

I'll use them if im in the pool *families house. Or cigarettes if i dont have that in the same situation.
However i cant incognito mine because size alone. Its almost as tall as my s23 ultra

Honestly blowing clouds aint all that grand. But its fun at times.

If i go that route my mod can handle 200w my lungs may not? what's a good tank setup thats off the self. I know smok had high triple digits in the past.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
For your 80W Molicel P28A would be a great choice. I think it was mentioned earlier. Plenty of amps, with headroom. you can see what Mooch has to say about it.

As far as charger, might as well future proof if you can. Single 21700 mods are very handy (with the right batt :)), for some, @ desk or home, a dual 21700 if you wanted.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The math is what it is. It's not my math, it the proven math.

For your 80W Molicel P28A would be a great choice. I think it was mentioned earlier. Plenty of amps, with headroom. you can see what Mooch has to say about it.

As far as charger, might as well future proof if you can. Single 21700 mods are very handy (with the right batt :)), for some, @ desk or home, a dual 21700 if you wanted.
Thank you with my line of work i quickly skim through the replies and answer as best as i can. So i may miss thus asking again 😕 squirrel

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
No name bs batteries and charging them in a flashlight?!?!
Not a good idea.
Jmho

The math is what it is. It's not my math, it the proven math.
Ya i was trying to figure out where device watts for the coil equals battery math. I use that as the main tool for battery/coil life.

It does pull 22.3amps at 3.74volts *as pointed out on a hit *1-3 seconds, come to think of it damn i think most power tools like drills and crap are 8A packs but they are 12+ volts. Electricity isnt my skill i know a little bit nore amps is generally better. I'm more tech/automotive knowledge. However audio and watts i know.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well definitions of hella good must verry then.
Lmmfao

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
All I'll say is that you've got several experienced people giving you very good advice, and it's only going to take those crap batteries overheating and venting one time before you'll be more than ready to listen.

Go ahead and plan the exit route you'll need to use to get a runaway battery out of your house or car in just a few seconds while it's burning you and spitting hot gases in your pocket or hand and is too friggin hot to touch.

Melodrama? No sir. I assure you, it's not.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
^ thats why dont charge unattended. Rare, but happens. I dont want to be sleeping and have that happen anywhere in the house. Most battery mishaps are user error.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most battery mishaps are user error.
As far as aware, I think most of mine have been, just not knowing the batteries had reached "end of life". Got a very low-end cost charger. It simply lights up when charging. When done, the light is green. If I put batteries in, and it flashes red, I don't use those anymore. I'm learning.

Go ahead and plan the exit route you'll need to use to get a runaway battery out of your house or car in just a few seconds while it's burning you and spitting hot gases in your pocket or hand and is too friggin hot to touch.
I have had to do this a few times. Had batteries vent on me. Ran them outside to a safe clearing, set them down on the ground. Fortunately, no one was injured, no batteries ever exploded or full on combusted.

It isn't fun being bomb squad style calm as a damn hot battery is in a mod, having to break contacts, remove battery then dash outside. Very much dislike needing to have balls that size. They chafe so. Being serious, it is a harrowing experience I don't wish to visit others.

@nadalama isn't blowing smoke, or vape up anyone's bum. She quite well knows of what she speaks. Many of us here qualify with that. I don't exactly follow Mooch's advice simply because I'm a critical thinker, his is only one opinion of many I consider. Yes, his opinion carries very warranted heft and clout. Still, it's prudent to think for oneself.

That noted, when you get over 100 years or so of amalgamated advice based off experience, it might not hurt to give it a serious listen. Usually, where there is smoke, you have fire. The smoke, in this case, all the good advice you've got. The fire being the factual truths we've learned.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors