Become a Patron!

Need help from some experienced DIYers..... please

Traegus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so my issue is this;
bought an IPV mini 2 when they first came out, love the thing, works like a champ, not a single issue.... well maybe one. THE DAMNED PAINT, it started peeling about a month in (got the black one), and once it starts it goes pretty quick. looked horrible and using a jwrap wouldn't work because the edges of the case that border the screen were peeling bad and the wraps don't cover that part. i had seen a video of a DIY box mod using a Hammond box and the guy doing it said he used spray on bedliner for the "paint", that sounded like a great idea, nice black, gives it texture, and should be tough, it's made for truck beds for crying out loud. so i tried this, put two coats of bedliner on it and it was great, for about 2 weeks, and i started to get flaking of the bedliner. i did a touch up job on it and covered it with two coats of brush on clear coat from a hobby shop. that barely helped, now it looks as bad as when it first started peeling.

so, what i hope someone can provide is some experienced guidance here. should i have used primer on the mod after the sanding and before the bedliner? was two coats not enough? should i have immediately used clearcoat on it? maybe 6 or 8 coats of that? is bedliner the best option? should i maybe use some rubber paint stuff (saw some cans of this at home depot by the bedliner)? was thinking maybe finding a can of that water proofing spray you see on the infomercials? should i buy 2 jwraps and cut the second one up to make covers for the exposed bits? someone help me out here... i'm so lost.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Plastidip perhaps? Might have to reapply from time to time, but should be easily removable when the time to redo it comes.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Remove all traces of finish down to bare metal. Apply an etching primer (auto parts store.) Apply bedliner (shake the crap out of the can for about 5-6 minutes first. No joke. 5-6 minutes.)

VU Sponsors