Become a Patron!

Need help from experienced vapers pls

dlcountpau

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys...i have a few questions for the experts..its my third day researching about vape and im still lost and confused.

Im planning to buy a Wismec Rx200, griffin tank black, 3 LG HG2, clapton kanthral .5ohms. Im going to use wattage mode (this means i will only adjust the wattage right?)

My questions:

1) im trying to calculate what wattage i can use in ohms calculator, i have to enter 2 values to calculate the wattage limit 1) .5ohms 2)should i enter 4.2v or 12.6v since im using 3 batteries

2) i watched a video about batteries and the vaper said he always recharge his battery whenever it reaches 3.7v. In rx200 i learned that pressing the fire button and the other 2 buttons will give you the remaining volts of the 3 batteries....is the value he refers to are the total of the 3 batteries?or individualy?

Thanks a million!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi and welcome. There's no need to calculate the watts on a regulated mod. Rather, you set the watts on the mod, and the mod measures your coil resistance and calculates and delivers whatever voltage may be required to produce the watts you set. Regulated mods are not limited to battery voltage, it is a variable. For an example, go to the calculator. Set .5 ohms and 50 watts, then calculate to see the voltage. Then clear and set .5 and 100 watts, calculate, and the voltage will change. That's how the mod works.

I am unsure of the resistance you intend to use. The Griff is a RTA, which can be built single, dual or quad coil (quads are very hard to do). If you mean .5 total resistance, you can safely run that mod on those batteries at any number that won't melt the coil wire-- I don't think you can with only 200 watts-- and I'll bet your lips and lungs give out before the wire does. That's generally true for any resistance the mod will fire.

I love the RX-- I have two of them-- but a couple of things: you need a stand alone charger, the onboard balanced charger sux and takes forever plus 3 days. Even with a stand alone charger, charging still takes 8 hours or more for 3 HG2s, so you also want 6 batteries, not 3.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ditto on the above! Is this your first vaping setup?

It looks as if you're buying premade clapton coils if they're .5 ohms each? So your total resistance will be 0.25 ohms (which, as suprtrkr said is fine in the RX200). Be sure to install them carefully so that nothing touches, and fire them up with no cotton to be sure they're heating correctly. And retighten the grub screws.

I use the Griffin with clapton coils in wattage mode - it's a great vape!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi guys...i have a few questions for the experts..its my third day researching about vape and im still lost and confused.

Im planning to buy a Wismec Rx200, griffin tank black, 3 LG HG2, clapton kanthral .5ohms. Im going to use wattage mode (this means i will only adjust the wattage right?)

My questions:

1) im trying to calculate what wattage i can use in ohms calculator, i have to enter 2 values to calculate the wattage limit 1) .5ohms 2)should i enter 4.2v or 12.6v since im using 3 batteries

2) i watched a video about batteries and the vaper said he always recharge his battery whenever it reaches 3.7v. In rx200 i learned that pressing the fire button and the other 2 buttons will give you the remaining volts of the 3 batteries....is the value he refers to are the total of the 3 batteries?or individualy?

Thanks a million!

You might want to consider downgrading your first purchase rather than going for the gusto right out the of the shoot - are you buying from a B&M or online?

dlcountpau

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@suprtrkr - thanks sir, great info. Actually i know that the RX is a regulated mod and i don't have to do the manual calculation like i saw vapers do using a mech mod...nevertheless i'm just curious that's why and i personally don't feel safe if I dont know what's going on everytime i will change the wattage. If i use wattage mode, i can adjust the wattage from 1-200w right? In doing that i want to assure myself that im doing everything by the book and i want to prove it's safe using the ohms calculator and to be honest that leads me to my initial question coz im confused on how to use it in relation to a regulated mod in this case the RX :) can you pls shed some light sir...

For the charger ill purchase a Xtar vc4, is that a good one?

@AmandaD - thank you for your reply :) yes, it will be my first time...i haven't purchased yet...im still trying to learn before making the jump but that's the mod i definitely wanted. Im planning to build a dual coil, yeah i might probably purchase a premade coil. So if i wanted to use .5ohms coil i need 2 1ohms coil right? Im quite hesitant to go below .5 as i've seen a lot of videos and they said go carefully if you are vaping in sub ohms thats why i have all these questions :)

@JuicyLucy - thanks for the suggestion. Im buying online and do the installation myself which scares the hell out of me since its my fist time...haha doing all the research to make sure i will be vaping safely

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's an unusual setup for a first-time vaper, simply because it's a whole lot easier to start out with pre-made coils. Most vapers also start out with mouth-to-lung setups if they've been smoking for any length of time, but perhaps it will work for you.

The Griffin does take something of a learning curve to wick properly, although it's easier than many.

Quite frankly ,if you haven't yet purchased it I'd wait and buy something with premade coils that you can just pop in until you're sure you want something as labor intensive (for someone new to vaping) as a Griffin.

That charger sounds fine. Just be sure you buy good quality batteries from a reliable source (the LGs are good)

You can't go wrong with the RX200 - it's a great box.

Did you smoke previously (do you), and if so for how long? (Asking because it does make a difference often with tanks/toppers).

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's an unusual setup for a first-time vaper, simply because it's a whole lot easier to start out with pre-made coils. Most vapers also start out with mouth-to-lung setups if they've been smoking for any length of time, but perhaps it will work for you.

The Griffin does take something of a learning curve to wick properly, although it's easier than many.

Quite frankly ,if you haven't yet purchased it I'd wait and buy something with premade coils that you can just pop in until you're sure you want something as labor intensive (for someone new to vaping) as a Griffin.

That charger sounds fine. Just be sure you buy good quality batteries from a reliable source (the LGs are good)

Did you smoke previously (do you), and if so for how long? (Asking because it does make a difference often with tanks/toppers).

I agree, get one of the many great sub ohm tanks available and grab the griffin too if you want to learn how to build but you will have something that works all the time... a no fuss setup with screw in coils.

Those batteries will be fine powering the RX200 at 200w and you will find out quickly that you won't vape anywhere near 200w anyway.
Volts x amps = watts. The rx200 seems to want to cut off around 3.5v per cell so even at it's lowest voltage you have 10.5(v) x 20(a) = 210 (w). And again, you won't likely be vaping anywhere near 200w anyway.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah, and do yourself a favor and get a 4 bay charger than can charge at 1a per cell. The xc4 will charge 2 at 1a or 3-4 at 0.5a.
You want to charge at 1a unless you are putting them on charge overnight, waiting for a 0.5a charge sucks.

dlcountpau

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Been smoking for 15 years and decided to quit :) A friend told me better start with rx200 than with starter kits coz eventually you'll go there and he told me it's safer with regulated mods. Im really concerned about exploding vapes so i thought the more expensive the mod the safer. His setup was .3omhs at 60w. I thought the lower the ohm the more risky so i thought i'd go for a higher build like .5ohms at 40w...well i dont really know much but thats what came in my mind :)

dlcountpau

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree, get one of the many great sub ohm tanks available and grab the griffin too if you want to learn how to build but you will have something that works all the time... a no fuss setup with screw in coils.

Those batteries will be fine powering the RX200 at 200w and you will find out quickly that you won't vape anywhere near 200w anyway.
Volts x amps = watts. The rx200 seems to want to cut off around 3.5v per cell so even at it's lowest voltage you have 10.5(v) x 20(a) = 210 (w). And again, you won't likely be vaping anywhere near 200w anyway.

Thanks Fq06.

So the RX wont fire if it detects the batteries are below 10.5v?

I tried to use these values in ohms calculator...10.5v .5ohm, it show my watts limit is 220w but of course nobody vapes at 200w...another thing i noticed was it gives me 21a but i know that my batt is only 20a...??

dlcountpau

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh yeah, and do yourself a favor and get a 4 bay charger than can charge at 1a per cell. The xc4 will charge 2 at 1a or 3-4 at 0.5a.
You want to charge at 1a unless you are putting them on charge overnight, waiting for a 0.5a charge sucks.

If i will charge 3 batts you said it will be at .5a which i can leave overnight? Around how long will it take to full charge?

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, the RX (most other regulated devices) will not allow you fire if the parameters are unsafe. Generally it will prevent you from firing if: there is a short in the atomizer, if theres no atomizer detected, if the battery voltage is too low, if the you reach the voltage limit for the mod, if your going too low or high on watts, and in the case of the RX at least, if the battery voltages are too far apart.

For finding your watt limits for your batteries on a regulated mod, punch in the ohms your coil is and then the CDR of the battery. That will show you the max wattage you can run that coil at. If you have 20 amp batteries and you get the calculator telling you the watts you are running is more than 20 amps, then its unsafe. I wouldnt even go to 20 amps on a 20 amp battery. Always keep a bit of a buffer. I try not to go over 5 amps from max. As far as I know, most regulated mods dont keep track of the amps your pulling, so its still something you have to keep that in your mind when using it, though its not as "important" as with mechs.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If i will charge 3 batts you said it will be at .5a which i can leave overnight? Around how long will it take to full charge?
It does take a few hours. You won't have a problem charging the batteries at 0.5 A over night. However, I do have to agree we the others, regarding the Griffin. You should consider something with replacement coils, and maybe an option of a RBA (that's the part you can use in the tank, to build your own coil). The Griffin is a RTA, where you can't get replacement coils, but have to build your own and wick them properly. If you want something similar to the Griffin, the Mutank by Indulgence gives you those two options. However, just wanting to quit smoking, I think, you'd need a tank, that's more designed for a mouth to lungs (MTL) hitter. Those two tanks are more for direct to lungs hitters. Usually, when switching from smoking, most people try to replace this with the same "feeling", as you're used to when smoking a cigarette. Therefore, a tank designed for MTL, would be a better choice to start with.
Regarding the power/wattage to use. You need to find the "sweet spot" for your juice, and your preference. Start at a low setting, and increase it one step at a time. When you get just a slight hint of a burned flavor, your power setting is too high.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All good info there ^^^.

Good luck on quitting, it's not easy even with having vaping as a tool. I was a dual user for a couple years before I switched over to just vape but eventually stopped lighting up.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
@suprtrkr - thanks sir, great info. Actually i know that the RX is a regulated mod and i don't have to do the manual calculation like i saw vapers do using a mech mod...nevertheless i'm just curious that's why and i personally don't feel safe if I dont know what's going on everytime i will change the wattage. If i use wattage mode, i can adjust the wattage from 1-200w right? In doing that i want to assure myself that im doing everything by the book and i want to prove it's safe using the ohms calculator and to be honest that leads me to my initial question coz im confused on how to use it in relation to a regulated mod in this case the RX :) can you pls shed some light sir...

For the charger ill purchase a Xtar vc4, is that a good one?

@AmandaD - thank you for your reply :) yes, it will be my first time...i haven't purchased yet...im still trying to learn before making the jump but that's the mod i definitely wanted. Im planning to build a dual coil, yeah i might probably purchase a premade coil. So if i wanted to use .5ohms coil i need 2 1ohms coil right? Im quite hesitant to go below .5 as i've seen a lot of videos and they said go carefully if you are vaping in sub ohms thats why i have all these questions :)

@JuicyLucy - thanks for the suggestion. Im buying online and do the installation myself which scares the hell out of me since its my fist time...haha doing all the research to make sure i will be vaping safely

It's not going to be easy to acquaint you with how those mods work to assure you of the safety factor unless you are a EE, in which case you wouldn't be asking the question. The think about them is, the boards have a circuit that changes the voltage. Some do this with buck, some with buck-and-boost, some with both. But that's the key; the coil circuit is not limited to strict battery voltage. Battery voltage is important, but only on the battery side of the board, where coil resistance is not.

The batteries provide all the power for the machine, and they can only provide this power at whatever voltage their charge state is providing. Voltage on the power circuit, unlike on the firing circuit, is semi-fixed by the batteries. On the firing side, voltage is variable. How to resolve this? Simple: watts is watts is watts. If the firing circuit is making 10 watts total, it makes no difference to the power circuit if the board supplies this power at 1 volt with a 10 amp current, or at 10 volts with a 1 amp current; either and both make 10 watts.

So, to the power side: if your batteries are full charged at 4,2 volts, and your machine is set to 20 watts, the the board is drawing from the battery (by P ÷ V = I) 20 ÷ 4,2 = 4.76A. If your battery is half discharged at 3.7V, the same math yields higher draw at the same setting, thus: 20 ÷ 3.7 = 5.41A. (Note the above assumes 100% efficiency. You have to derate that a bit for better accuracy.)

In a regulated mod, it's the power setting that counts. Ohms Law still counts, but you're solving for the wrong thing. Use battery voltage and set watts, and this will work just fine.

The Xtar is a great charger. I prefer Nitecore, but I have an Xtar and it's a good one.

VU Sponsors