Nautilus Mini threading

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I love my Nautilus Mini. Works great, no leaking problems or gurgling problems unless I assemble it wrong. But when I screw it on to my iStick or the 510/ego adapter that came with it, it is "wobbly" up until the point that it is finger tight. What I mean is, if it isn't fully finger tight, when I tilt it I will feel a slight movement in it. And when I'm screwing it in before that point, there is a lot of give.

I've read that there are some threading issues with the iStick, but the adapter that it came with also seems to have the same amount of "give". I won't be able to test the Nautilus threads on anything else until my MVP2 gets here on Monday, but I'm starting to think it's the threads on it, not the iStick, that are the problem.

It is a validated authentic Nautilus Mini (passes all clone tests, from packaging to the authenticity code). While it doesn't seem to be a big issue because it performs well once tightened, I'm worried that it might mess up the threads on my devices. Should I replace the base hardware or just go with it? I'd rather not spend the extra 10$ but if it needs to be done, I'll do it.

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
my nautilus mini wobbles on my MVP2 slightly until its fingertight and pressed against the beauty ring, to which point it tightens up.

aslong as it screws on freely there really is nothing to worry about. id be more worried if it was tight screwing it on as id be scared that threads would get chewed up and threaded badly.

i think most things wobble on threads until they are fully tight, nuts n bolts all have slight play until they are tightened up

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool, thanks for the heads up, I figured I was worrying over nothing. Do you have any wobble when you aren't using a beauty ring? Or does it need that extra against the base to keep it steady?

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
dont really wanna test it as im guessing the beauty ring stops it from threading too far past the threads end and may mess up my thread. so its for 3 things, i guess. 1 looks better hiding the thread join, 2 steadys the tank onto the battery securely and 3 stops it from overthreading

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's fair. I understand not wanting to test, I may at some point once I have my MVP. I use the beauty ring with the ego adapter on my iStick now anyway, which seems to perform the same function you describe. Thanks again :)

Amir_Wazir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool, thanks for the heads up, I figured I was worrying over nothing. Do you have any wobble when you aren't using a beauty ring? Or does it need that extra against the base to keep it steady?

I had a similar issue with a Kanger Aerotank on a Vision Spinner. It did tighten up a lot more if threaded all the way down without the beauty ring -- can't say for sure if it's the same in your case though.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, that sounds like what I have happening. My primary concern is that both of the devices (iStick and MVP) have known issues with the contact pin in the 510 getting "pushed down" by over tightening - and this Nautilus Mini seems to NEED to be tightened down, else it will wobble and destroy the threads in said device anyway. It's kind of a tough situation, damned if I do and damned if I don't, hehe.

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
have you noticed how difficult it is to unscrew the bottom to refill with juice? maybe im a weakling but i have to get a towel or my teeth on it to unscrew!

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've noticed that on occasion, yep! For me it isn't difficult but it seems like after use it is tighter than I remember tightening it, if that makes sense. I think it has to do with pressure in the tank section. Could always tighten it a little less - the seal on the bottom hardware is pretty good, so I know it doesn't have to be very tight to work.

MauiVaporLady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Try using a rubber kitchen glove to get a good grip. I also close the holes when unscrewing them and then after filling them. That seams to help with the vacuum issue problems that you are having. Make sure that you clean them out and air dry to occasionally.

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also make sure you are grabbing metal, both top and bottom, and not the glass tank.

VU Sponsors