Become a Patron!

Naturally Extracted Flavorings Question

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Can any company that is touting their "Naturally Extracted Flavorings" provide testing results for Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl?? I would appreciate it if this can happen. This is nothing other than a a request for testing.

Thanks! :)

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In what flavors of NEF's are you thinking you would even find these?

And if they are naturally occurring, why should we even worry?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I am asking if anyone has bothered to test their net flavorings.. and what the results are.
I would like to know this simple answer. I am not debating anything else.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Well.
Alrighty then.

nothing towards you, freemind..
I just want to know if anyone has had theirs tested and what the results are.. ;)

but so far.. i hear nothing but crickets.. hmm..

and i do have a project i am working on, but.. I cant use anything that has not been tested.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't, I'm pretty sure there is little to no regulation on the stuff so it would be easy for companies to lie

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't, I'm pretty sure there is little to no regulation on the stuff so it would be easy for companies to lie

we have none right now on just plain flavoring, let along extractions..
but I am curious and if anyone dealing in nets is testing, I'd like to know..

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nobody that I have heard of is testing the nets or anything else practically. Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl are constituents of artificial flavoring agents. They are unlikely to be constituents in leaf extractions. There very well may be constituents that we as vapers decide to avoid but there is virtually no data available on any anything we vape -. natural or artificial. Food flavors are GRAS for eating. Tobacco is generally recognized as toxic when combusted.
We did inquire into testing two years ago but found the cost unbelievably costly to do wide spectrum testing. It was about $10,000 per leaf for 6 standard constituents if we wanted results with certifications. It wasn't possible on our scale (hobbyist/aficionado). I do find it strange that NOBODY has done this - even big tobacco.
The other end of the stick is that none of us know much about anything we are vaping. Is vaping anything proven safe? - no. We all vape non the less. We all have our opinions, some maybe more qualified than others. (None of us have croaked from vaping yet however). In my case, I think the artificial flavors are not good to vape. I smoked for 40 years and it didn't kill me, but I quit when I had a tobacco extract that satisfied my palate and allowed me to minimize the perceived harm from the combustion chemicals. Vaping some small part of the tobacco leaf, in my opinion, is significantly less harmful that smoking it. It is a compromise I can live with.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Nobody that I have heard of is testing the nets or anything else practically. Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl are constituents of artificial flavoring agents. They are unlikely to be constituents in leaf extractions. There very well may be constituents that we as vapers decide to avoid but there is virtually no data available on any anything we vape -. natural or artificial. Food flavors are GRAS for eating. Tobacco is generally recognized as toxic when combusted.
We did inquire into testing two years ago but found the cost unbelievably costly to do wide spectrum testing. It was about $10,000 per leaf for 6 standard constituents if we wanted results with certifications. It wasn't possible on our scale (hobbyist/aficionado). I do find it strange that NOBODY has done this - even big tobacco.
The other end of the stick is that none of us know much about anything we are vaping. Is vaping anything proven safe? - no. We all vape non the less. We all have our opinions, some maybe more qualified than others. (None of us have croaked from vaping yet however). In my case, I think the artificial flavors are not good to vape. I smoked for 40 years and it didn't kill me, but I quit when I had a tobacco extract that satisfied my palate and allowed me to minimize the perceived harm from the combustion chemicals. Vaping some small part of the tobacco leaf, in my opinion, is significantly less harmful that smoking it. It is a compromise I can live with.

I do appreciate your post, Real.. thank you.. however.. the testing I am looking at, is for only 2 out of 4 issues.. not 6, so you might want to rethink that..

I can understand how steep then it was, the price i believe, has come down.. I have a friend in this FB group that does testing.. you might want to chat with him, his name is Gene Gilman and he has said on his intro into the group:

"I wanted to introduce myself to the group. I'm the lab director at Enthalpy Analytical. EA is a CRO in NC that testing e-cigarettes and e-liquids for DA and AP. If you have any questions on the testing or test results please just me know."

the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/314609708719483/

in no way am I pushing for this.. but.. I mix.. I have a couple clients right now that have asked for a few juices/recipes that can pass testing.. and obviously.. if a flavor/net can pass, then my juice will too.. I do not want to be limited in what I do.. so this is why I am asking this question:

If there is a net company out there that has had their nets tested, so that I can offer a better or different alternative..

I am not the only one that runs into people requesting this, but I know I am the only one so far willing to bring my question to a forum like this..
(as far as I know) and it should also boost a favorable outlook on a company that is willing to have their products tested.. just food for thought.. ;)

I am still looking.. :)

VU Sponsors