Become a Patron!

My vape leaks!

I am still fairly new to vaping, but have had a consistent problem with a few different devices I have tried, they all seem to leak when I fly with them. I am a flight attendant so it is in a pressurized cabin a few hours a day, and after I land, I grab my vape and the juice has leaked out. This also happens when I drive up to my home which is at 9k feet. Once I get home and clean it up and refill the juice it is fine until I change altitudes again. Is there a way to limit how much it leaks, or stop it all together?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Aside from keeping them empty until you get where you're going, my only idea is to store them upside down, IF you're using a bottom fill tank. If these are top fill, I have no idea.

What kind of set up are you using?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a thread on this somewhere....

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Looking forward to some good answers on this post! I'm traveling in a couple of months and am curious how to fly with my vape gear.

Thanks for the welcome. I was using Blu for a while, but it just was not cutting it. I tried the Blu+ when it came out, but that was leaking and not worth it. My first device was the ego, but it instantly made a mess any time flying, and after a few tries with the distributor he took it back and got me on this device, which was doing good until I drove up to 9k feet and a little leaked out from the air opening. I have to fly with it tomorrow and don't want a huge mess when I land.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
For the short term I would empty the tank on the VT and keep it in a zip lock. Put some juice in the zip lock but make sure theres room in the bottle for it to expand. Then I'd fill up after you land. I certainly wouldn't fly with the atty on the VT so you don't have other leakage problems.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am still fairly new to vaping, but have had a consistent problem with a few different devices I have tried, they all seem to leak when I fly with them. I am a flight attendant so it is in a pressurized cabin a few hours a day, and after I land, I grab my vape and the juice has leaked out. This also happens when I drive up to my home which is at 9k feet. Once I get home and clean it up and refill the juice it is fine until I change altitudes again. Is there a way to limit how much it leaks, or stop it all together?
Flip it upside down and store it that way when you fly. The pressure will equalize in the the tank.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Huckleberried actually nailed it herself, but thanks for the kind mention - as air thins and expands with altitude (living at 9000' you've probably experienced exploding potato chip syndrome if your grocery store is down the hill), it forces liquid out the vent holes. Either store your gear upside down so that it's air and not liquid escaping during that expansion, or only travel with dry tanks...if you're driving and vaping, make sure to take a puff for every couple hundred feet in elevation gain or, again, store your rig upside down.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with Evil Spock. It won't leak if stored upside down.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
in addition to keeping your tanks as much as possible try keeping them half empty and if you can set the airflow to closed (turn the ring between airflow settings so the holes are as blocked off as much as possible,) to help seal the tank. The first time I flew vaping I had filled my tanks full and just put them in a plastic bag in my carry on and they were nice enough to leak all over the bag and almost empty themselves completely (thank God my mod wasn't connected inside the bag.) on the return trip I left my tanks half empty and closed the airflow off and left the airflow open on the other and again just threw them in a plastic bag in my carry on,,,,the one I closed off the airflow on didn't leak this time while the other one did, but not as much.

These tanks work on a combination of being vacuum and gravity fed....so drastic changes in temperature and air pressure from altitude can cause them to dump their contents into a coil quickly flooding them and causing them to leak out. By leaving the tank half empty and closing off the airflow you're sealing in the air in the tank creating it's own pressure seal and as long as it's at least half empty the pressure in it shouldn't be enough to flood it, especially stored upside down...at least that's my best guess...I just know it worked for me :) I never claimed to know all the science behind it.

I hope this helps...best of luck :)

VU Sponsors