Become a Patron!

My second dual coil setup... where I think I want to go.

I quit smoking tobacco on February 10th, 2014. Started Vaping. I didn't look back.

I started with a pair of regulated 900mah batteries, and four tanks. One was an Aro, and the other three could use the same atomizers... so I just rotated through them, trying different flavors, charging one battery while using another. A good friend of mine sent me a box of stuff from his desk. He'd been trying to get me to vape for a few years.

He had included a few drip tanks, but the idea of constantly filling the unit didn't appeal to me. Then, last week, I had a Tobecco Orchid V2 dropped in my lap. So... I'll jump in.

I've been reading and reading about going with a rebuildable tank, trying to wrap my mind around the clouds and temps and resistance and power... a couple of months just trying to see what direction I would go in when I finally did get something to work with. All of a sudden here was something I hadn't looked at yet, and I was jumping into the deep end.

My first coils measured 1 ohm. Two, 2 ohm coils from 28g kanthal. Friends who had been building for a while, one sub-ohmer and another with a love of no ohms and burning through 30ml bottles. They both love their drip tanks. But something was wrong.

Temp. Battery drain. I really didn't want to be sticking a baseball bat to my face when I want to vape. That... and doesn't cooler mean better flavor? That seems to be a consensus.

So... I set out to build this Orchid at something between 2 and 3 ohms. That meant two coils or between 4 and 6 ohms each. So.. I wrapped some 32g around a size 0 precision screwdriver 9/10 times... 10 loops on the outside of the coil. Worked out to 5.6 ohms per coil... and 2.8 ohms.

To power the Orchid, my local vape shop had a Nemesis mechanical mod for $38. Three batteries... 2200maH, 1400maH, and 900maH. With these coils, I find I can draw gently... relaxed even... using that little stubby 900maH, and get extremely flavorful and cool clouds. Not huge, room-filling clouds, but something that I can hold, exhale with some nice body, and watch dissipate quickly.

Why doesn't everyone like them nice and cool? I mean, if I can vape well with this, and my smallest battery... I should only be enjoying this longer with a larger battery... no?

VU Sponsors