My nitecore 18650 battery is a little scratched should i be worried?

Discussion in 'Battery Junkies / Chargers' started by Chris_Lacky, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM.

1. Chris_Lacky

Chris_Lacky New Member

Blog Posts:
    So basically i got eleaf istick pico and today i noticed that my battery is a little mid scratched at the middle.
    Should i be worried?
    you can see the scratch at the 2500mah logo

Attached Files:

2. Countrypami

Countrypami The Link Ninja Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Gold Contributor VU Live Host

Blog Posts:
    As long as the scratches are just on the surface and no metal is exposed... if they were mine, I would still use them.
    You might want to look into what is causing the scratches and file it down.

3. Chris_Lacky

Chris_Lacky New Member

Blog Posts:
    I can see a bit metal and i think it got strached in the battery case

4. Countrypami

Countrypami The Link Ninja Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Vendor Employee VU Donator Gold Contributor VU Live Host

Blog Posts:
    In that case... I would stop using it until you have some re-wraps on hand. Pull the wrap off, if the metal is scratched I would not use it. If the metal is not scratched, you can re-wrap it and keep using it. Better safe than sorry :)

Darth Omerta likes this.
  5. Chris_Lacky

Chris_Lacky New Member

Blog Posts:
    Ok thanks a lot
    Enjoy your day

Countrypami likes this.
  6. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome! :)

7. Countrypami

Blog Posts:
    Moved to Battery Junkies.

8. Angrygod50

Angrygod50 Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Not much of a scratch I'd use it. If your concerned put a piece of tape over it or some paint. Looks like a scratch from a charger.

9. gbalkam

gbalkam Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Should be fine. If you are worried, a small bit of electricians tape just over the scratch just in case the scratch went all the way though, would solve any issue.

In future, use only Samsung, Sony, LG for max safety. Nitecore are factory 2nds that have been re-wrapped with the Nitecore logo. Anything that I put up to MY face is going to be a factory 1st that passed ALL the manufacturers tests.

gakudzu likes this.
  10. Zamazam

Zamazam Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I'd be more concerned about the nitecore brand since they don't make batteries, just wrap them.

11. conanthewarrior

conanthewarrior Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't use those batteries as has been advised, I can't even find any tests performed on those specific rewraps, so am not sure what battery it even is under the wrapper.

That is not to say all rewraps are bad, it is just better to buy the battery in its standard wrapper than paying a premium for another company to put their own on, with often inflated specs.

Darth Omerta likes this.
  12. Chris_Lacky

Chris_Lacky New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone :) my second battery would be a samsung Q30

Countrypami likes this.
  13. Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta Bronze Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Exactly what was said here. I cant speak for Nitecore batteries specifically but I do know that the ONLY true 30A 18650 batteries on the market have no more than 1500mAh. This would indicate to me that either the Amp rating is inflated or the mAh is much lower than 2500. At best its a 25A battery with 2500mAh, at worst its a a 5A trashy rewrap of a C or D bin cell that would never have been suitable for vaping in the first place.

I REALLY hate rewraps!

Also...Id recommend not using any battery with damaged wraps. Not worth the risk when its so easy and inexpensive to replace the wrap(not the same thing as buying a third party rewrapped battery, stick with buying original authentic cells from Moochs chart).