Become a Patron!

My IPV3 Possibly Saved Me Yesterday

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've been in love with this thing since I got it, but yesterday, I had a new experience, and it quite possibly saved my ass. I was driving and vaping, I put a Kayfun on that was cold from sitting in the car and proceeded to vape at a modest 20 watts. Well, a few minutes later I got a nasty burnt hit, then it didn't fire. Well, my coil popped, I had a short, and my IPV3 thankfully wouldn't fire it.

I hadn't re wicked or re built the tank in probably a good two months, same flavor, was seeing how long I could keep going. I'm guessing that factor, combined with the extreme temperature hit popped it. I've never had that happen before, aside from pulsing once during a build.

I'm careful, and on a mech I wouldn't have just kept pressing the button, but who knows how quickly I could've vented the battery. My music was loud so I couldn't hear the coil, so I'm sure I would've at least made sure I was pressing the switch adequately. That could've been enough to do it, though. All I know is I felt very fortunate to have brought my IPV3, and I usually drive with mechs.

Cool story, I know, I just felt like sharing another benefit of regulated mods. I quite possibly avoided a bad situation.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been in love with this thing since I got it, but yesterday, I had a new experience, and it quite possibly saved my ass. I was driving and vaping, I put a Kayfun on that was cold from sitting in the car and proceeded to vape at a modest 20 watts. Well, a few minutes later I got a nasty burnt hit, then it didn't fire. Well, my coil popped, I had a short, and my IPV3 thankfully wouldn't fire it.

I hadn't re wicked or re built the tank in probably a good two months, same flavor, was seeing how long I could keep going. I'm guessing that factor, combined with the extreme temperature hit popped it. I've never had that happen before, aside from pulsing once during a build.

I'm careful, and on a mech I wouldn't have just kept pressing the button, but who knows how quickly I could've vented the battery. My music was loud so I couldn't hear the coil, so I'm sure I would've at least made sure I was pressing the switch adequately. That could've been enough to do it, though. All I know is I felt very fortunate to have brought my IPV3, and I usually drive with mechs.

Cool story, I know, I just felt like sharing another benefit of regulated mods. I quite possibly avoided a bad situation.
One of the things I like most about the regulated boxes is this very type of safety. The only mechs I ever use any more are these REOs and they at least have a collapsible spring to bail ya out.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
One of the things I like most about the regulated boxes is this very type of safety. The only mechs I ever use any more are these REOs and they at least have a collapsible spring to bail ya out.
Yeah, I was definitely appreciative, and lucky for the fail safe. I've still used mechs today, but the experience did make me realize even more so how you can be doing everything right, and still have something go wrong. My OCD when building is something I will continue, and now I know to be conscious of one more thing.

In the heat my tanks get leaky, the cold I think makes them susceptible to popping coils. It's been damn cold here lately, and the snow just keeps coming. I'm sick of it already. Lol.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How did a coil popping become a short? Wouldnt it just break, not fire, and read no atomizer? When you opened the kayfun what did it look like?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How did a coil popping become a short? Wouldnt it just break, not fire, and read no atomizer? When you opened the kayfun what did it look like?
It didn't fire, it's regulated and said check atomizer, that's the point. When I opened it the lead where the break occurred had collapsed so it was touching the deck in two spots. Negative and positive, but not connected, obviously. If I'm confused and that's not a short, I still wouldn't wanna be attempting to fire that.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unless there is something completing the circuit by touching both negative and positive, it is not a short... so the wire broke and fell on both the negative and postive on the kayfun deck? If so it was a short. My guess is the wire broke.. so it was like it was an atty with no coil in it and wouldnt fire on any device... did you happen to check the resistance after this happened?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The break in the coil caused the part wrapped and wicked to fall on the deck, and the tail of the negative was also touching the deck. It didn't register on my ohm meter, I didn't also try the multimeter, since I knew I had to rebuild, and suspected what happened was the scenario. It was a new experience for me.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah. Never happend to me... thats why i am so curious.

VU Sponsors