Become a Patron!

My idea for a quartz glass Kayfun

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One of the shortcomings of the Kayfun is the polycarbonate tank. Yes there are quartz conversion kits available but there performance is not that great. They rely strictly on vacuum and o-rings to hold the whole thing together.

I have had this idea and wanted to see what everyone thought. Instead of having the top of the chimney just slide into the top cap, have it thread in. That way the whole tank would be held together securely. Since the chimney would thread onto the base and the top to the chimney, there would be no chance of it coming apart.

Looking at the picture below.

Arrow #1
At the top of the chimney make a threaded area a little down from the top

Arrow #2
Remove the threading on the base and make it a double o-ring

Arrow #3
Keep the o-ring inside the top cap but move it a little further up to allow the chimney to screw into the top cap but retaining the o-ring to help better seal

So whatcha think???

20140901_074021~01.jpg

Rick RED

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice thought, but what holds the bottom of the glass? It would have to seal to the chimney with a flange and O ring, thus cutting off the flow of juice. Unless it was a wide flange with holes to allow flow, wish I own machine tools....

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice thought, but what holds the bottom of the glass? It would have to seal to the chimney with a flange and O ring, thus cutting off the flow of juice. Unless it was a wide flange with holes to allow flow, wish I own machine tools....

When you screw the chimney (which is already thready to the base) to the top cap it would hold the base snug against the glass. Essentially holding everything together. There would be two grooves in the base for o-rings to seal the bottom. They could be below the juice channels.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Already been done, right now vaping on a russian v2, with glass, the top cap screws into the chimney, only negative with this version I have, it is a fixed drip tip, if had removable drip tip, would be prefect ;)

Rick RED

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So the chimney barrel would hold the whole thing together with o rings sealing the base. That could work. You are right Nailz, that has stopped me from buying 1, non interchangable tips is a deal breaker for me.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The fogger V4 basically attaches the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I do see the reason behind your proposed upgrade.

But I have had nothing but success with my Quartz tank kits. The don't leak and the o-rings and vacuum do a great job of keeping everything together. As an experiment, I even picked up the tank and attached mod which holds two 18650 batteries by the drip tip and no malfunction. I don't recommend doing that but it did hold together.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another reason the top assembly does not screw onto the chimney top is that the chimney assembly is made to be a juice flow control, and can be raised or lowered on the base to expose more or less of the juice channels; which in turn allows for more or less juice flow to the coil chamber. If you raised the chimney to allow for more juice flow, and the top assembly screwed onto it, it would loosen the seals and may provide for leaking. Also, as you screw the top cap assembly onto the chimney top, it may also tighten the chimney down and change the adjustment of the juice flow. If these issues could be overcome and still alow for juice flow control, then it could have real possibilities. I realize there are already other devices that are simular to what you describe, but a company could sell an aftermarket refit kit for all the Kayfun owners already out there and make a dime or two.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Talon4x4, I did look at the kit you linked to, but it does not look like it allows for the juice adjustment feature of the kayfun. In other words, I assume (I could be wrong here??) that the chimney has to be threaded all the way down onto the base for the top cap to tighten down onto the tank sections and create the seals between sections. With a normal micro coil in the chamber, that might be OK. However, I have been running a .6 ohm 22g vertical coil in my Kayfun which does not allow for the chimney to tighten all the way down on the base (see link: http://www.vapingunderground.com/threads/22g-vert-coil-on-kayfun-3-1.3879/). The coil is just too big. So the question is would the kit you refered to allow for good tank seals if the chimney is not tightened all the way on the base?

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No doubt the kit is expensive @Garemlin . @Chowder I'm not sure if it would work properly. I would have to guess probably not because then the entire assembly would be sitting higher than the threading would allow for. But I don't have it so I can't say for sure. Its an interesting way to control the juice flow, I can't say I have ever even heard of anyone not tightening down the top part completely like you are doing. It makes sense though because that is how juice flow is controlled on my Aqua.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
On my Kayfuns, I screw the chimney all the way down.

To be honest, I never thought of using the chimney as an liquid adjustment.

But all the same, my wick gets plenty of liquid delivered to it. Never had a dry hit including my very first build.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@UncleRJ, I agree that the chimney threaded all the way down does provide adaquate flow for normal builds. However, I have played with it and find it to work well if needed. And If you looked at the link provided, you'ld see that my current build is far from normal.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
@UncleRJ, I agree that the chimney threaded all the way down does provide adaquate flow for normal builds. However, I have played with it and find it to work well if needed. And If you looked at the link provided, you'ld see that my current build is far from normal.

Not a typical build at all and a nice piece of work.

I was just kinda surprised at the notion you could mess with the chimney to control liquid flow:cool:

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's not a feature needed unless using 100%vg, and maybe not even then, but it is a feature.

Reactions: Jah

VU Sponsors