My First Build: Wack Nic Hit

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I'm very proud of myself. I got a Venturi RDA today and tonight I built a double coil with not much problems. It's not perfect, mind you, one coil is heating quicker than the other, but it's vaping like a mad dog. Using it on a mech mod. It's 28 gauge eight loops each, actually one might be nine (the reason for the inconsistency in how fast they heat up I imagine) and reads .8 ohms.

This is my question and it's really just a curiosity. All my juices are between 18 and 24mg. I know I'm going to have to get lower nic level juice if I'm going to keep on building but for now I'm using an 18mg Imperial Waffle from Shark Juice. Good LAWDDY the nic hit is strong. Nearly knocks me off my chair. I'm just wondering why? What is it about dripping that causes it to have more nic in the vape? Is it just because it's lower ohm? Dual coil? Just more vape? I take a vape and WOW. Can't even have another one for a few minutes because one vape jacks me up on nic so much.

Any scientists out there with the explanation as I pat myself on the back for breaking my RDA cherry??

Last edited:
Congrats on your your first build. I am a noob my self and waiting on my Post man for getting ready with my first build.....

Go easy on your Nic intake after you hit a high the feeling turns fast from Great to Bad very fast....:)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More vape, more nic... a lot more vape, a lot more nic.
If you vaped 24 to 18 in a clearomizer (guessing) you probably want to drop to 12 or even 6 in a dripper.

If one coil is getting hotter than the other, like you said you may have mismatched wrap counts. Or one of the screws capturing the wire on the one that's not firing as well may be loose. You have to check those after your all done building and also periodically when rewicking.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
More vape, more nic... a lot more vape, a lot more nic.
If you vaped 24 to 18 in a clearomizer (guessing) you probably want to drop to 12 or even 6 in a dripper.

If one coil is getting hotter than the other, like you said you may have mismatched wrap counts. Or one of the screws capturing the wire on the one that's not firing as well may be loose. You have to check those after your all done building and also periodically when rewicking.
Thanks. Yeah I'm thinking 6mg for dripping tops.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Later when you get thicker wire and drop into 0.4~0.3 you will probably want to go down to 3mg. Everyone's different though, some people like more throat hit, some like less. Some like enough nicotine to kill a horse, some don't.

You will figure out where your happy place (best resistance, VG% and nic level) is with some experimentation :D

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Later when you get thicker wire and drop into 0.4~0.3 you will probably want to go down to 3mg. Everyone's different though, some people like more throat hit, some like less. Some like enough nicotine to kill a horse, some don't.

You will figure out where your happy place (best resistance, VG% and nic level) is with some experimentation :D
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess I now have an excuse to start using my DIY stuff. Just realized I can make my own 6mg juice. Woot.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
your capture screws could not be hitting your leads correctly. the center post part unless it is a double block like in the plumveil I try and set them side buy side.
Fire and pinch, retighten a bit and refire to test the coils.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
your capture screws could not be hitting your leads correctly. the center post part unless it is a double block like in the plumveil I try and set them side buy side.
Fire and pinch, retighten a bit and refire to test the coils.
I'm pretty sure one side has eight wraps and the other has nine wraps and that's the problem. I tried to squeeze some of the coils together on the longer coil so that they touch and that seemed to even it out efficiently enough to use it. Today I'll take it apart and try to do a better job but for my first build I think it came out well, heck, it's vaping away so I'd at least call that success. ;<))

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm pretty sure one side has eight wraps and the other has nine wraps and that's the problem. I tried to squeeze some of the coils together on the longer coil so that they touch and that seemed to even it out efficiently enough to use it. Today I'll take it apart and try to do a better job but for my first build I think it came out well, heck, it's vaping away so I'd at least call that success. ;<))
good it is the learning step, and done safely.
I still fuck my wraps up and loose count, I get kind of zen about it and it is more about the journey than functionality of it..

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
good it is the learning step, and done safely.
I still fuck my wraps up and loose count, I get kind of zen about it and it is more about the journey than functionality of it..
I'm just surprised I pulled it off on the first try. Trying to get in there in that tight space and wrap a second coil around a little screwdriver after wrapping a perfect first coil was sort of maddening. Once I managed to even do it without it sticking off the side of the dripper, I just wanted to put it together and didn't realize until I put two pairs of glasses on one over the other and even then had to use a magnifying glass that the second one was bigger.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL I am pushing 40 and that would cause me to break out the modeling mags.
I find the more I build and vape the less lining up and tinkering I really want to do.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just surprised I pulled it off on the first try. Trying to get in there in that tight space and wrap a second coil around a little screwdriver after wrapping a perfect first coil was sort of maddening. Once I managed to even do it without it sticking off the side of the dripper, I just wanted to put it together and didn't realize until I put two pairs of glasses on one over the other and even then had to use a magnifying glass that the second one was bigger.

Grab a drill bit from the garage and use that (7/64~3/32). The blue screwdriver does not give you very much room to work on and more importantly, not enough leverage to pull the wire tight as you wrap it.

With a bit, you have a lot more to hold onto and your coil will come out much better if you can pull the wire tight as you wrap. As you wrap, pull the wire keeping the next wrap right next to the last. When you're done you should have a very tidy coil with all wires in contact with each other.

Also, if you lose count mid way through, toss it and make another. Just takes a minute to wrap another one and much less time than assembling the whole thing to find out that you have mismatched coils.

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Back to my original question though, I don't think it's just a matter of more vape making the nic stronger, because even when I take a small puff with very little vapor (as much as I can even handle off this thing right now at 18mg) the nic rush far out-surpasses any of the tanks or glassomizers I have. Not sure exactly what the science behind it is.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is firing the juice at a much higher temp and delivering more nicotine. Even a short one second hit on a low resistance dual coil will deliver multiple times more nicotine than a cooler high resistance single coil. Like the difference between smoking a pipe with

Everyone goes through this when they graduate from clearo's to a rebuildable... especially if it is a dual coil.
Think twice the coil count and twice the power... about double the nic.

When I ran a protank, 12mg. Kayfun I stepped down to 6mg. Dual coil dripper (and now add Orchid to the dual coil list) I thought I was going to poop out a lung and went to 3mg.
My need for nicotine didn't change and even though I was using a lower nic juice I was getting the same or better satisfaction.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It is firing the juice at a much higher temp and delivering more nicotine. Even a short one second hit on a low resistance dual coil will deliver multiple times more nicotine than a cooler high resistance single coil.

Everyone goes through this when they graduate from clearo's to a rebuildable... especially if it is a dual coil.
Think twice the coil count and twice the power... about double the nic.

When I ran a protank, 12mg. Kayfun I stepped down to 6mg. Dual coil dripper or Orchid I thought I was going to poop out a lung and went to 3mg.
My need for nicotine didn't change and even though I was using a lower nic juice I was getting the same or better satisfaction.
Yeah I understand that, but what I'm curious about is WHY? I mean, everything in there is burning hotter, the pg, the vg, the flavoring, not JUST the nic. So just wondering why a hotter vape delivers more nic. It's the same amount of nic in the juice whether I vape it in a evod or a Nautilus or a dripper, so why does one produce more nic in the vape as opposed to the other. Perhaps the heat produces smaller particles that are more easily absorbed? I don't know. That's my question for someone with some kind of scientific understanding about how these things work.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Volume+more efficient = kick ass.
I have had to lower mom's protank juice to 9 from 12-14 since doing parallel builds.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"everything in there is burning hotter, the pg, the vg, the flavoring, not JUST the nic"

Just like getting more flavor from a rebuildable dual coil than a single coil clearo. More flavor, more nic, more everything.

Possibly a difference in the chemical reaction to the higher temperature. Like smoldering nicotine vs scorching it.

Scientific why? Maybe someone else can help with that but I think it's like big nasty said... more volume. More of everything. There may not be any science to it other than more.

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Could be completely wrong, but maybe the higher temp is causing the droplets of vapor to be smaller which creates more surface area of the vapor which causes more absorption of the nic. Sounds good anyway. o_O

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Could be completely wrong, but maybe the higher temp is causing the droplets of vapor to be smaller which creates more surface area of the vapor which causes more absorption of the nic. Sounds good anyway. o_O
Sounds logical. So if I rebuild this thing with some 30 gauge wire at higher ohms do you think I'll be able to vape this higher nic level juice with it? It's performing like a charm but I can't use it as it is with the juice I have, not at 0.8 ohms.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Congratulations my friend....I'm learning too...it takes time, but its all good...!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you want to reduce the temp the coils reach, I'd probably try just using more 28g wire. Maybe increase coil diameter, increase number of wraps or both. More wire would do two things at once. More ohms which reduces power and more metal which reduces the effect of the power. Changing gauge might change too many variables at once. Obviously reducing nic strength is a better idea, but trying to do a work around for now might be tough without just killing performance. Idk man. I'd just use more 28g and see. Good luck.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One other thought. If the airflow can be adjusted to support single coil mode, maybe try that until you can get some lower nic juice.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you want to reduce the temp the coils reach, I'd probably try just using more 28g wire. Maybe increase coil diameter, increase number of wraps or both. More wire would do two things at once. More ohms which reduces power and more metal which reduces the effect of the power. Changing gauge might change too many variables at once. Obviously reducing nic strength is a better idea, but trying to do a work around for now might be tough without just killing performance. Idk man. I'd just use more 28g and see. Good luck.
Can't put more wraps in there, eight wraps barely fits, and the Venturi is a two coil build only. Just rebuilt it, eight wraps of 30g. Comes to 1.1ohms. Also found some 12mg juice that I had laying around. Going to see how this works.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mmmmmm, still a little harsh but much, much better. This thing is going to kick some major ass when I diy up some 6mg juice.

Got it right this time, eight coils on each side, nearly perfect. When I get the 6mg nic I'll probably rebuild it again back to the 28g but for now this is doing the trick.

The flavor on this thing is amazing. Other than once building a kanger head with cotton which was a dismal failure, this is the first time I'm vaping from cotton as well. Such a clean, virgin vapor compared to everything else. The harshness of that first puff has disappeared as well. Mmmmmm.

Last edited:

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If your going to DIY your own juice, you could try just diluting the higher nic juice you have to reduce the strength of it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If your going to DIY your own juice, you could try just diluting the higher nic juice you have to reduce the strength of it.
Makes sense but to dilute it that much it would weaken the flavor for sure.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just a matter of making the 0 nic juice close as possible to the flavor of the juice being diluted.
Would probably be the hardest part given how different companies can vary on their flavor.

Other issue would be the volume of juice you'd end up with.
A full 30ml bottle of 24mg juice would need 120ml of 0mg added to get it down to 6mg nic. Could end up with *lots* of juice.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Doubtful. I was just curious. I remember Shark Juice from the Vapor Co. last year but I thought they went belly up some time ago.
Oh, didn't know you were talking about the Shark Juice, thought you were talking about the 12mg juice I said I found. Someone PIFed me the Shark Juice.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't noted any comments, as such...I haven't turned col one as of yet, but I won't be trimming the legs offa the posts, 'till I get an even glow from both coils. 'Leave a little loosen, shift, re-tighten room. (aside from coil count.)

VU Sponsors