Become a Patron!

My battery set my coat on fire today!......

Hi I'm brand new to this site and it looks great.
Anyway I'm writing to say whilst at work this afternoon i 1st heard a small pop,followed by a much much louder one,next thing I know my coat was in flames.
All I had in my pocket was a set of keys and my spare bestkalint imr18650 battery.(3.7 3000MAH 40A)

I'm guessing the battery/keys combo caused a short circuit,thankfully no real harm done but the fact that 20 mins earlier I was at a busy petrol station in central London is a huge concern.
Does anyone know if these batteries have had problems in the past?
Thanks in advance
Rob

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Like Huck said batteries and keys are a bad combination

It’s not just those batteries it’s ANY batteries. If any metal objects let the positive and negative ends of the batteries complete a circuit, you get a magic light show and heat. The batteey was doing what it was meant to do- release stored energy

Do yourself a favor and get some battery cases or travel condoms. They are the best 99 cents that you can spend. Future clothing, will thank you for it. It will also help prevent serious injury.

Thanks guys,will definitely be following your advice.
Are these battery cases etc commonplace for batteries in the US?
I've spoke to a couple of mates here in London and nobody seems to use them,I will be telling
everyone now though.
Like one mate said,in our current climate imagine the distress it would cause on the tube if it
had happened on there.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've spoke to a couple of mates here in London and nobody seems to use them,I will be telling
everyone now though.
Like one mate said,in our current climate imagine the distress it would cause on the tube if it
had happened on there.

Yes, battery cases can be found in many places online, both plastic hard cases and soft silicone.
https://18650.uk/product/18650-uk-dual-18650-battery-case/

Also, search for "Mooch 18650 benchmark" and you will see that your battery, while not at fault for the hard short it had, does have exaggerated specifications of amp rating and/or capacity. Don't feel bad, lots of brands do that. More accurate specifications come on brands like Sony, Samsung, and LG.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
JAC Vapour in the UK sells battery cases for 18650 cells

https://www.jacvapour.com/rubber-safety-cover

battery-safety-cover01.jpg

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have a check on Fogstar you can pick up cases for pennies, it’s where I buy my batteries from

Ben is awesome you’ll get anything shipped same day

Like everyone said above never carry these batteries lose also check regularly for damaged wraps and replace the wraps if you see damage...you got away lightly by all accounts, it’s the reason everyone continually harps on about battery safety :cheers: let your mates now for sure and anyone else you ever speak to pass on this advice

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Actually got an email from Ben the other day regarding changes to European law and batteries hold on I’ll copy in the email

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
From Fogstar Directly

0c250205-a588-48ca-8f19-2cb8af7209b5.png
Battery Compliance - What you need to know, and how were using it to help the industry.
Earlier on in the year, Fogstar held talks with people 'in the know' - to finally get to the bottom of the the battery directive and what would be required from us going forward. This is EU law, but we were hindered by the translation into UK law and the vagueness of what was required. - and it now clear the steps we have to take to comply.

Batteries need to be printed (not stickered) with certain information in order to be compliant. Whilst some retailers may have opted for manufacturer ratings (ratings that are only achievable by using a group of cells and/or with cooling) we opted to use Mooch ratings. Ratings that are achievable with a standalone cell.

The 2nd line, is the optimum voltage, the chemistry and an EXO number (More on that later).

The 3rd line offers what the government requires in terms of trace-ability. If something goes wrong (which we hope never will) How do you find the rest of the cells in that batch, and make sure they won't go wrong too?

The WEEE Symbol is probably the most important, this is required to notify users that these products can not be discarded in normal bins, to prevent them going into landfill.

Introducing Exocell - Worlds first live batch test tracker.
Printing on cells presented us with an opportunity. An opportunity to offer cell info, and batch tests - live. This is the first time in the world this have ever been attempted, and we think its pretty cool. This will help protect against fake cells, and will also push other retailers to batch test - if they aren't already.

fee9b9f9-ec2e-48b5-bf57-1b6530015d0f.png
How does it work?

Simply enter the EXO code found on your cell, and you will receive a full batch test of the cell that is in your hand along with important information about that cell. Cool, right?

047b09f7-7cad-4605-baf0-6c47df1d1091.png
When will this be ready? We're almost there, we will be rolling this out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone that has supported us, and continues to support us while these changes happen.

Ben

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ben is awesome

Fab mate! I really need to hear that more often. *chuckles* :) :p

Hi-lar-ious bit of it I know you're speaking of yet another Ben in the world starting to seemingly become over populated with Bens. I'd not know anything about that, *slides the Ben cloning device back under the deer pelt conspicuously, feigns an innocent demeanor* nope, not I at all.

Here in our apartment complex in building 8, where I live, we got apartment 101. In 103 there's an older bloke living and he too is a Benjamin. We're aiming to fling 102 out, he's a loud mouth, then replace him with another Benjamin. Eventually, we'll own all of building 8 save for 104 which is Alex. We leave him be, he drives delivery for Dominio's pizza. Once we get block 8 done and dusted, filling up the next block will be "a piece of cake." :) Soon, the world will bow to the Benjamins! Muhahahaha!!!! Hahaum!!!

If you think is part of some diabolical plan for me to GFM, you are possibly correct yet hold fast upon blurting it out, some barrister the other day said such wot gots up in rears of legal stuff about a mile deep. *ponders a mile of legal tripe ... decides that Calvin Ball is better*

My rook taking your three of clubs and two puts on hole 7 please if ye shall. I think I'm winning, if not see if the other Ben is. :)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shouldn't you change the title of the thread to.."I set my own coat on fire today"...by putting a battery in a pocket full of keys.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
everyone now though.
had happened on there.

You use a tube mod? Is it the kind that has a little LED light and a built in battery or is it a mechanical mod with a removable battery?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From Fogstar Directly

0c250205-a588-48ca-8f19-2cb8af7209b5.png
Battery Compliance - What you need to know, and how were using it to help the industry.
Earlier on in the year, Fogstar held talks with people 'in the know' - to finally get to the bottom of the the battery directive and what would be required from us going forward. This is EU law, but we were hindered by the translation into UK law and the vagueness of what was required. - and it now clear the steps we have to take to comply.

Batteries need to be printed (not stickered) with certain information in order to be compliant. Whilst some retailers may have opted for manufacturer ratings (ratings that are only achievable by using a group of cells and/or with cooling) we opted to use Mooch ratings. Ratings that are achievable with a standalone cell.

The 2nd line, is the optimum voltage, the chemistry and an EXO number (More on that later).

The 3rd line offers what the government requires in terms of trace-ability. If something goes wrong (which we hope never will) How do you find the rest of the cells in that batch, and make sure they won't go wrong too?

The WEEE Symbol is probably the most important, this is required to notify users that these products can not be discarded in normal bins, to prevent them going into landfill.

Introducing Exocell - Worlds first live batch test tracker.
Printing on cells presented us with an opportunity. An opportunity to offer cell info, and batch tests - live. This is the first time in the world this have ever been attempted, and we think its pretty cool. This will help protect against fake cells, and will also push other retailers to batch test - if they aren't already.

fee9b9f9-ec2e-48b5-bf57-1b6530015d0f.png
How does it work?

Simply enter the EXO code found on your cell, and you will receive a full batch test of the cell that is in your hand along with important information about that cell. Cool, right?

047b09f7-7cad-4605-baf0-6c47df1d1091.png
When will this be ready? We're almost there, we will be rolling this out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone that has supported us, and continues to support us while these changes happen.

Ben

Ahh and someone was ripping at Mooch in another thread for alluding to this....

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
You can also use old pill bottles.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ripping at mooch? As in not supposed to publish it?
Someone was calling it BS when he mentioned it vaguely in a post that was quoted on here.
Mooch has been working with some here in the states on establishing battery safety standards.
I for one am glad that he is involved. It may lead to reasonable regulations vs knee jerk you are gonna blow yer face off stuff regulations.
I expect the regs will not only be about vaping batteries but all loose LI batteries. ie those not in a sealed battery pack such as used on power tools.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Someone was calling it BS when he mentioned it vaguely in a post that was quoted on here.
Mooch has been working with some here in the states on establishing battery safety standards.
I for one am glad that he is involved. It may lead to reasonable regulations vs knee jerk you are gonna blow yer face off stuff regulations.
I expect the regs will not only be about vaping batteries but all loose LI batteries. ie those not in a sealed battery pack such as used on power tools.

Ahh see what you mean, definitely good steps being taken although cloners out there will simply print on the wraps even copying the exo numbers so it might hurt some of the larger vendors out there if someone starts ripping off thier batteries and selling on eBay as legits

I can see other measure having to be introduced in the future as well

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh see what you mean, definitely good steps being taken although cloners out there will simply print on the wraps even copying the exo numbers so it might hurt some of the larger vendors out there if someone starts ripping off thier batteries and selling on eBay as legits

I can see other measure having to be introduced in the future as well
To pretty much end the mis-labeling practice it will have to be made criminal to mislabel or knowingly sell mislabeled batteries or to knowingly import said mis-labelled batteries.

I would welcome this law.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Add to above.
The law should also hold manufacturers of LI cells not responsible as long as they properly label their cells and do not knowingly sell to re-labelers.
this should prevent them from just pulling loose cells from the market.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
everyone now though.
had happened on there.
There sold all over in UK in vape shops , online ,ebay , Amazon ect , join some UK vape site FB , forums ect ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors