Become a Patron!

Mods, what do I want?

ThcHemplar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm new to vaping and recently started off with the Ijust2 to make sure it would but something i would actually try use to quit smoking. However now I'm at the point where I want something..better but there's so many options out idk what ones are any good. Originally i was looking at the MVP 3 Pro, but was told people were having issues with the battery so the Evic VTC mini was recommended, but I just feel I don't need the temp control and the single 18650 battery could end up being a bigger pain but then again idk.

so I guess in short, what are a few good mods for beginners that I would still be able to use once I get more into sub ohms and RDAs?

UncleMike

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Evic VTC mini has great reviews and lots of folks here swear by them. You realize you don't have to use TC on those devices right? The can be used in regular power mode too. Sigelei is another great mod. I just picked up a Reuleaux RX200 for pretty cheap. 200 watts if needed but you can run it anywhere from 1W - 200W depending on what you like. It also has the TC option but I've only used it in power mode so far. Downside for some is that it takes 3 18650 batteries and really should have an external charger. There's lots of great mods on the market now, just take your time and see what fits you best. Happy vaping :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well i would highly recommend getting a mod that uses 18650 batteries and not a mod with a built in battery
the built in battery wears out over time. How long? depends on how much you use it but in general 300 recharges before it stops holding a full charge and its noticeable. I have plenty of these mods in 6 years. and most died on me in 2-3 months. so that was a new mod every few months.
18650s can be had for $5-$9 a piece and chargers are between 10-40 depending on how many slots and how fancy they are. an 18650 last about the same 300 charges or so, maybe more. so thats a lower replacement cost
also using 18650 batteries opens the door to a whole slew of mods on the market.
i currently have 3 mods that use 18650 batteries.
1 is about 6 months old. tehothe ris even older. i bought it used 6 months ago. and one i got for christmas. the 2 older ones work as good as the day i bought them. and in fact since i bought extra sets of batteries...i have a set to use and a set to charge for each mod.... i have yet to replace a battery either.

SO for me getting a mod with replacable batteries is the way to go.

now if you decide to go that route... then just decide on a budget.

right now you can get a whole slew of GREAT devices for under $60 and some even as low as $40 on sale.,

DO not worry about TC. Its there if you decide to use it, but all TC mods work win power mode the same as any other mod. TC has just about become standard on most new mods.

Don't worry if it has 200 w and you only vape at 12w now. YOu may get some new tank or rda or something that willneed 20-40-60-100 watts and then youll have a mod that can handle it if you get a 150-200w mod.

but in all honesty 75ish watts is more then enough to handle almost anything most people buy on the market.

the mods I recommend looking at are
the evic vtc - extremely popular - well built - upgradable software-
koopor plus - dirt cheap - upgradable - not as well built as evic vtc but still a good device - i own one
sig 150 -super well built - not upgradable - very popular - no TC SS mode if you care about that stuff
ipv 3li super well built- built like a tank - upgradable - very popular - no TC SS mode if you care about that stuff - i own one
ipv d2 - well built mine survived a bath in the dish water - has a wierd charging port- not upgradable - can be found dirt cheap now that the D3 is out - no TC SS mode if you care
ipv d3 dont have one its the replacement for the d2 - i would hope its as good as the d2 with an extra 5 watts of power
Smok Xcube 2 - well built - semi popular- uses BT and a phone app - some people are annoyed with the app and so forth but many love this device - you can find threads discussing both the pros and cons of this one.

if your willing to hold off your purchase a month or so 2 new devices are coming out that may be worth looking at, but you should wait for reviews and to find first hand experiences with them
IPV5
Smok 200TC - the preorders are dirt cheap $50ish i think with a tfv4 mini tank included.

plus there are other mods out there that are good. this list is just the ones i have used, seen, or heard so much about I fell I know alot about them.

hotrod351

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
agree, not built in batteries. with a mod that takes batteries you can always have a fully charged battery to swap out if your not sure of the charge in the device, and your going somewhere. ofcourse your going to have to also get a charger.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
For a beginner you really can't go wrong with a VTC Mini :) Small stealthy device nice big screen firmware upgradeable removable 18650 TC in SS, Ti, Ni, also manual TCR, & of coarse plain old power mode. These are all great options usually found on more expensive mods. If you look around they can be had for as little as 31.99! http://www.efun.top/joyetech-evic-vtc-mini-express-kit.html
I have one with a Goblin mini on top Perfect stealth mod :)

xibilius

Member For 4 Years
I really recommend the Subox mini v2 from kangertech
Pretty nice & smooth vaping, and you can switch batteries anytime you want.
It supports sub-ohm and is really not expensive, plus it looks really sexy... but that's a personal choice
Another point is that they reduced the leakage with this version 2 of the tanks and three air-flow choices to really dig your vaping preferences

Hope this helps,

Regards

ThcHemplar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah, i keep coming back to the mini its just the 60w. i mean personally that seems like plenty but then again i don't know much about RDAs. my buddy was going to hook me up with his Fishbone since he got the Velocity, i just have no idea what specs id need to cover it lol. but yeah i was checking out the Subox but again that was a 50w, i just don't know what i actually need vs what are extras lol

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
yeah, i keep coming back to the mini its just the 60w. i mean personally that seems like plenty but then again i don't know much about RDAs. my buddy was going to hook me up with his Fishbone since he got the Velocity, i just have no idea what specs id need to cover it lol. but yeah i was checking out the Subox but again that was a 50w, i just don't know what i actually need vs what are extras lol
With the 3.0 update the mini is now 75 watts :) IMO at 75 watts you have maxed out a single 18650's capabilities. If you don't think 75 watts will be enough you should be looking for a dual 18650 mod :)

ThcHemplar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ya that that would most likely be fine for me, im not going for anything special. i just see all these 100-150-200w mods and im like is that really necessary?
granted if i could afford it i would probably get one lol, but i basically get one shot at a mod for the year, or most of it anyways. so i just wanna make sure im not goina be kicking myself later.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
If this is the only mod you can buy this year, you should take into consideration, battery life! a single 18650 at higher wattage is only going to last so long :( Most of these really high watt devices are never used at over 100 watts. People just buy them for the dual and triple 18650 battery life.
JT makes a new dual 18650 mod "Cube it" or some thing, but in good faith I can't recommend it cause I don't have one.

ThcHemplar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well i was probably going to get 4 of the Lg HE4 (2500mAh 20A 3.7v along with the Nitecore i4 Intellicharge universal smart battery charger)
figured even with a single 18650 as long as it doesn't drain outrageously fast I should be fine? or would i be better off with a dual? sorry if i repeat my self at all iv spent the last 2 weeks searching and never really getting any closer =P

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just upgraded from a single battery kbox mini 50w to a dual 18650 istick 100w and the battery life is much improved. Most mods anymore have the capability of charging internally with removable batteries, but in my experience it's still best to charge externally. The charge port on my kbox mini is actually broken. I use cheap USB chargers, nitecore um10 and an xtar mc2, less than $10 and are good if you're out and about for convenience, but it's always nice to have a good charger.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
if your getting Lg batteries get the HG2 they are 3000mah 20 amp they last a little longer then the he4

VU Sponsors