Become a Patron!

Mod(s) Of The Month Feb. 2016 | Share Your Experience

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok lets give this another try, a lot of new mods have been announced/released in the past two weeks which will probably be widely available for purchase during Feb. 2016, many people here at VU have received their first samples of these devices and have been playing with them for a few hours to few days, many threads have been created each for a single mod of these,

This thread is meant to combine all the conclusions and impressions about these mods in a comparative format, the purpose is not to come up with a one mod fits all sizes conclusion, but to get an idea of best in class, price, value, functionality, build quality, and overall experience. to aid the purchasing decision of those planning to buy a new mod in February 2016.

I will get this started by posting an initial list along with my own impressions about them from what i gather from the many threads posted about them here in VU

Credit: This list is based on a modified commented version of @vuJim list of mods to consider:

1- Wismec Reuleaux RX200 200W (3 x 18650)
The old and time tested RX200, this does not fit in the original description of this thread because it was released a few months ago but is good to use as a benchmark in performance, battery life, and value upon which the newly released mods can be compared.

Cons for me are size, weight (not pocket friendly) and build quality, despite being the top performer it is, it looks like a cheap Chinese toy and less elegant than most of the other mods in this list.

2- VaporFlask Stout 100W (1 x 26650)
Looks nice and neat, uses the RX chip (probably), have all the functions a mod can have these days, reaches 100W on a single battery.

Cons: much more expensive than the other mods, sells for more than double the price, despite being manufactured by Wismec in China and not directly in the USA, OCD small and not bright enough, reports of battery cover catching the battery wrapping and tearing it, some quality control issues reported in some Youtube video reviews although VapeForward is standing behind it strongly and making things right, could require an investment in a new high drain 26650 for those who have a bunch of 18650s (although it comes with an 18650 adapter don't expect to reach 100W with that inside)

3- Vaporesso Tarot 200W TC Mod (2 x 18650)
This one is not all that popular at the moment not a lot of people are talking about or have reviews for, i in turn do not have a lot of information about it, it looks nice though if someone who have more knowledge about it could share with us their pros and cons would be nice.

4- Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini 75W (1 x 18650)
Still a preferred choice for many until this point which only shows how ahead of its time this mod was at its release, the value proposition of it is slightly diminished currently because there are a bunch of comparatively priced, similar in size two battery mods with the same features and higher power output.

This mod led the way and created a market standard for firmware upgradable devices and native Stainless Steel wire support

5- Kanger KBox 120W or 200W TC Box Mod (2 x 18650)
This will probably have the best manufacturing, assembly and packaging quality of all mods in this list, apart from that its value and usefulness to an advanced vaper is highly questionable.

Cons: biggest con is that its software and OCD functions are worst of all the mods in this list, battery door non-magnetic and have a worrisome design, 510 sunken down and does not function like any other "Normal" 510 in any other device, of course as all Kanger products its finish will get chipped off after short use.

6- Wismec Classic 150W (2 x 18650)
Looks absolutely beautiful with highly elegant ergonomic design, especially to the old school VaporFlask users, probably has the RX chip with all its robust functions, upgradeability and native SS316 support, uses standard 18650s in series, with an easy to remove magnetic door.

Cons: biggest con is price, almost triple the cost of other comparable RX devices solely for being designed in the USA and having what appears to be more careful quality control despite being manufactured by Chinese Wismec, quality issues were still reported by reviewers in Youtube, the positive side is that VapeForward stands 100% behind the product and rights the wrong, display reported to be not as bright as the other mods, which could be problematic when used outdoors. could have a 25A OUTPUT limit.

7- Pioneer4you IPV5 200W (2 x 18650)
Uses the YiHi SX330-200 chip, tons of design goodies, best 510 in the list all flush all stainless steel design with gold plated positive pin, sturdy clicky low profile buttons, OCD sunken inside the case to protect it from accidents, aluminum casing makes this potentially lighter than others, inside the battery doors there are lips to hold the batteries firmly in place, ergonomic and comfy to hold, and has a massive 45A Max Output, supports all wire types with 5 memory slots for custom TCR, different vaping modes .. the list goes on...

Cons: looks (in my own eyes which is highly subjective) the device looks ugly, too many decorative grooves, expensive compared to the RX based devices, it holds a middle ground between RX and DNA200 when it comes to prices, personally, instead of paying $99 for a YiHi SX330 device i would pay some more for an all featured DNA200 device, software/OCD navigation is complicated and unintuitive, screen, fonts and scrolling do not look the best despite the screen reported to be brighter than most other devices in this list, limited to only 7V output which is the lowest on the list, could limit its power output with higher resistance builds despite its 45A Max Output.

8- Eleaf iStick TC100W (2 x 18650)
Best new innovations in the list, hidden lockable fire button, squeeze to fire, dedicated menu key, the only parallel regulated device in the list, has bypass mode for parallel builds, can work on one or two batteries for up to 100W (firmware upgrade could increase the power limit), neat looks and finish, highest quality manufacturing of all eleaf devices so far, small, pocket friendly and not as heavy as the Cuboid for example, all colors look great on this design, has changeable covers for color/looks customization, has the RX chip (probably) with all its functionality, custom TCR and native SS316 support and firmware upgradable, should be safe to charge with USB given the parallel setup. and price is comparable to other RX devices. should not have the same 25A output limit with its parallel battery config, plenty of current available to the chip.

Cons: do not find a lot of cons with this particular device apart from being limited to 100W when it can obviously do 150W easily, and in a video review the reviewer had a wiggly 510, if the 510 turns out to be "glued" in place like with some other devices this would be a definite deal breaker.

9- Joyetech Cuboid (2 x 18650)
an all round great mod at its price level, shape, size, design, concept, and features are second to non, best OCD screen in any mod so far, easiest and most intuitive navigation and interaction, fits great in the hand, stands firmly on desks for charging, coil building or tank filling, a battery door design that is hidden and gets out of the way in normal handling and operation, what more to say? it is one of the best mods concepts so far.

Cons: QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY, despite this mod being the great concept it is, some suffer from various quality control issues, ranging from slight negligible ones, to some extreme cases (mine :)), the most frequently reported issues are the loose rattly button which appears to be this way by design, a scratched screen film protector which can be solved by removing the protector, some complain about the battery door's usability or stability, and a few have operation problems like fluctuating resistance reading or Atomizer short problems, the highest quality of all colors seems to be the Grey, followed by the Silver and the lowest quality seems to appear more in the Black version, Limited to 25A output which could be problematic if you build below 0.3 Ohms.

Pheew, that was long...

Now my best in class categorization:

Best Value for Performance Mod: Wismec Reuleaux RX200 200W
Best Light, Pocket Friendly Average-Power Mod: Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini 75W
Best Production Quality: Kanger KBox 120W or 200W TC Box Mod
Best Features and Reliability Design: Pioneer4you IPV5 200W
Best AMPs Output for Low Builds: Pioneer4you IPV5 200W
Best Innovations: Eleaf iStick TC100W
Best ALL ROUND Concept: Joyetech Cuboid

So here you have it folks, i think this thread will help a lot of people myself included so lets get this started.

Cheers :)

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reserved For Conclusions

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
10. Dicodes Dani No6 (1X26650) - released start of january
A 60W device that delivers the goods. It has several wires preprogrammed (the ussual plus a few others) and manual TCR. It also comes with options for boosts, heater protections, value menu, user preferences for battery drain, menu clicks etc. etc., available in 4 colors right now. It's a fully loaded mod from a Company with an excellent quality record and sublime service. It comes with 2 full years of warranty and it oozes quality.

Cons: expensive ($200+), hard to get (only in europe right now), and for some a con: bit wide due to the 26650 battery compartment (although through the form factor it fits the hand very nicely)

The also new Dani Box wil follow once I get a chance to order mine :)

btw: you listed the IPV5 for $99....but is available for just a bit more than $50 making it a lot more attractive....

africamonk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok lets give this another try, a lot of new mods have been announced/released in the past two weeks which will probably be widely available for purchase during Feb. 2016, many people here at VU have received their first samples of these devices and have been playing with them for a few hours to few days, many threads have been created each for a single mod of these,

This thread is meant to combine all the conclusions and impressions about these mods in a comparative format, the purpose is not to come up with a one mod fits all sizes conclusion, but to get an idea of best in class, price, value, functionality, build quality, and overall experience. to aid the purchasing decision of those planning to buy a new mod in February 2016.

I will get this started by posting an initial list along with my own impressions about them from what i gather from the many threads posted about them here in VU

Credit: This list is based on a modified commented version of @vuJim list of mods to consider:

1- Wismec Reuleaux RX200 200W (3 x 18650)
The old and time tested RX200, this does not fit in the original description of this thread because it was released a few months ago but is good to use as a benchmark in performance, battery life, and value upon which the newly released mods can be compared.

Cons for me are size, weight (not pocket friendly) and build quality, despite being the top performer it is, it looks like a cheap Chinese toy and less elegant than most of the other mods in this list.

2- VaporFlask Stout 100W (1 x 26650)
Looks nice and neat, uses the RX chip (probably), have all the functions a mod can have these days, reaches 100W on a single battery.

Cons: much more expensive than the other mods, sells for more than double the price, despite being manufactured by Wismec in China and not directly in the USA, OCD small and not bright enough, reports of battery cover catching the battery wrapping and tearing it, some quality control issues reported in some Youtube video reviews although VapeForward is standing behind it strongly and making things right, could require an investment in a new high drain 26650 for those who have a bunch of 18650s (although it comes with an 18650 adapter don't expect to reach 100W with that inside)

3- Vaporesso Tarot 200W TC Mod (2 x 18650)
This one is not all that popular at the moment not a lot of people are talking about or have reviews for, i in turn do not have a lot of information about it, it looks nice though if someone who have more knowledge about it could share with us their pros and cons would be nice.

4- Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini 75W (1 x 18650)
Still a preferred choice for many until this point which only shows how ahead of its time this mod was at its release, the value proposition of it is slightly diminished currently because there are a bunch of comparatively priced, similar in size two battery mods with the same features and higher power output.

This mod led the way and created a market standard for firmware upgradable devices and native Stainless Steel wire support

5- Kanger KBox 120W or 200W TC Box Mod (2 x 18650)
This will probably have the best manufacturing, assembly and packaging quality of all mods in this list, apart from that its value and usefulness to an advanced vaper is highly questionable.

Cons: biggest con is that its software and OCD functions are worst of all the mods in this list, battery door non-magnetic and have a worrisome design, 510 sunken down and does not function like any other "Normal" 510 in any other device, of course as all Kanger products its finish will get chipped off after short use.

6- Wismec Classic 150W (2 x 18650)
Looks absolutely beautiful with highly elegant ergonomic design, especially to the old school VaporFlask users, probably has the RX chip with all its robust functions, upgradeability and native SS316 support, uses standard 18650s in series, with an easy to remove magnetic door.

Cons: biggest con is price, almost triple the cost of other comparable RX devices solely for being designed in the USA and having what appears to be more careful quality control despite being manufactured by Chinese Wismec, quality issues were still reported by reviewers in Youtube, the positive side is that VapeForward stands 100% behind the product and rights the wrong, display reported to be not as bright as the other mods, which could be problematic when used outdoors. could have a 25A OUTPUT limit.

7- Pioneer4you IPV5 200W (2 x 18650)
Uses the YiHi SX330-200 chip, tons of design goodies, best 510 in the list all flush all stainless steel design with gold plated positive pin, sturdy clicky low profile buttons, OCD sunken inside the case to protect it from accidents, aluminum casing makes this potentially lighter than others, inside the battery doors there are lips to hold the batteries firmly in place, ergonomic and comfy to hold, and has a massive 45A Max Output, supports all wire types with 5 memory slots for custom TCR, different vaping modes .. the list goes on...

Cons: looks (in my own eyes which is highly subjective) the device looks ugly, too many decorative grooves, expensive compared to the RX based devices, it holds a middle ground between RX and DNA200 when it comes to prices, personally, instead of paying $99 for a YiHi SX330 device i would pay some more for an all featured DNA200 device, software/OCD navigation is complicated and unintuitive, screen, fonts and scrolling do not look the best despite the screen reported to be brighter than most other devices in this list, limited to only 7V output which is the lowest on the list, could limit its power output with higher resistance builds despite its 45A Max Output.

8- Eleaf iStick TC100W (2 x 18650)
Best new innovations in the list, hidden lockable fire button, squeeze to fire, dedicated menu key, the only parallel regulated device in the list, has bypass mode for parallel builds, can work on one or two batteries for up to 100W (firmware upgrade could increase the power limit), neat looks and finish, highest quality manufacturing of all eleaf devices so far, small, pocket friendly and not as heavy as the Cuboid for example, all colors look great on this design, has changeable covers for color/looks customization, has the RX chip (probably) with all its functionality, custom TCR and native SS316 support and firmware upgradable, should be safe to charge with USB given the parallel setup. and price is comparable to other RX devices. should not have the same 25A output limit with its parallel battery config, plenty of current available to the chip.

Cons: do not find a lot of cons with this particular device apart from being limited to 100W when it can obviously do 150W easily, and in a video review the reviewer had a wiggly 510, if the 510 turns out to be "glued" in place like with some other devices this would be a definite deal breaker.

9- Joyetech Cuboid (2 x 18650)
an all round great mod at its price level, shape, size, design, concept, and features are second to non, best OCD screen in any mod so far, easiest and most intuitive navigation and interaction, fits great in the hand, stands firmly on desks for charging, coil building or tank filling, a battery door design that is hidden and gets out of the way in normal handling and operation, what more to say? it is one of the best mods concepts so far.

Cons: QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY, despite this mod being the great concept it is, some suffer from various quality control issues, ranging from slight negligible ones, to some extreme cases (mine :)), the most frequently reported issues are the loose rattly button which appears to be this way by design, a scratched screen film protector which can be solved by removing the protector, some complain about the battery door's usability or stability, and a few have operation problems like fluctuating resistance reading or Atomizer short problems, the highest quality of all colors seems to be the Grey, followed by the Silver and the lowest quality seems to appear more in the Black version, Limited to 25A output which could be problematic if you build below 0.3 Ohms.

Pheew, that was long...

Now my best in class categorization:

Best Value for Performance Mod: Wismec Reuleaux RX200 200W
Best Light, Pocket Friendly Average-Power Mod: Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini 75W
Best Production Quality: Kanger KBox 120W or 200W TC Box Mod
Best Features and Reliability Design: Pioneer4you IPV5 200W
Best AMPs Output for Low Builds: Pioneer4you IPV5 200W
Best Innovations: Eleaf iStick TC100W
Best ALL ROUND Concept: Joyetech Cuboid

So here you have it folks, i think this thread will help a lot of people myself included so lets get this started.

Cheers :)
TL;DR :D

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just picked up a Classic a few days ago. I am an old school VF guy. I love the fact that I now have the same form and function of the original VF but now I have 150w. This mod is a win. My only con is the brightness of the screen. Hopefully it will get fixed or can be fixed with an update. I run SS and Ni on it and it vapes like a champ. No button rattle on mine. The buttons have a nice feel to them. Love the new battery door as opposed to the old battery caps. Much easier and quicker to swap batteries out and vape. Another small annoyance is the placement of the up/down buttons. I liked the old placement better. The new placement puts the buttons in the field of your grip on the mod. Very easy to hit those buttons while vaping and change the temp of your vape on accident. After a few days though you do get used to it. I got mine at www.shop12south.com Great vendor with fast free shipping. Matt has some of the best prices on VF products. Definitely check him out

I also have a cuboid and I love it. If the VF wasn't so damn sexy then the Cuboid would have filled it's need very admirably. As far as the RX goes, What can I say that hasn't already been said? There's a reason this is one of the hottest selling mods ever.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the IPV5, VF Stout (both silver) RX200, VTC Mini (both black) from the list above. I have a few other mods and the only one that I might add is the Encom TNT 80 which has been my road dog mod for about 4 months.

Like @Deucesjack mentioned I got my Stout from http://www.shop12south.com/collecti...roducts/vapor-flask-stout-100w-low-price-sale as well. The price and customer service from Matt was excellent, a go to vendor for sure.

Best looking mod: Silver Vapor Flask Stout. The brushed finish is just a beauty, if they offered this finish with the RX200 even at a premium price I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. I know looks are subjective but for me the Silver IPV5 is real nice, wasn't even interested in the other colors, I think the other colors are ugly as well. The Silver IPV5 is a mod you have to see in person to appreciate.

0DOQnUIItgqNZs9nNskyDkeBbXZre02uW9MOQ1da7RNwSBsIwTC9cC15qQPiaOaTJ-57op5TrfWs_MHa2xO30Zc6w5q__XV8j4dW5xWS9aRIJa3n8InRrDkgmJn7LquDrfuLgIlNRsQq8-67P16XpWWSWQGE8rcjuuL1gmVjCfs5ITXnJpqu7flckGBwxOuVH7dbOsWuNij00DIqd4MnkfYkBqHa9dfpqBSxrVQiuui5OaTJSCE57GfgFp1cwOCVOfUOx0kX6AdwPIZpr1zWyfgchSgYkZpHR0wnuAhn4vXphrJE59HKzJgr4UAtCBRIEmAij0zoFGztoFpeRKFACCkN17JLGablvuTqz8HdI00fzTBJIOOpEQK5unNQ2gPXEHwF8H-FucVATOFQUr8pqGD5yiE5uQMNynqL8BV-W6eKmj2rxGJyDM5_sffJYCujWxz62rk0LLE-4c6qszUvdrHQsNEzfjAdlkBRpY1FDhYvsKDiFEfwHxkg8S84Ed3jo0BcGTCIocWua1manhLpTA0RkiiT_SkHKfnoSSpcSatbwLUP7drJCubypQr5CU02O9YD=w412-h731-no

Best Value for Performance Mod: Wismec Reuleaux RX200 200W. Really can't go wrong with this mod. I wish the build quality was a little better, I had a Reuleaux DNA200 I sold to a friend and that was put together more nicely. I wish they offered a finish for the RX200 like the DNA200 as well, the black and white/teal versions pale in comparison IMO.

Best pocket friendly: Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini 75W. Not much more to add then what has already been said about this fine little mod, all around great small mod.

Best road mod: Encom TNT 80 26650. If I am going to be on the road all day then this is what comes with me either with the OBS T-VCT or Kanger STP with Atom gClapton coil. The combo of this mod with the tanks listed gives me all day performance without having to bring a spare battery or bottle of juice. The TNT 80 can be had for around $35 to $40 when it is on sale and it is built like a brick so hitting the ground has never worried me. Fits well in my back pocket but is a little heavy. So far for the 4 months I have had it with nearly everyday use it has been solid. I have to warn that I have heard of some people having problems with there's though including a friend. My friends TNT 80 now fires the same at whatever watts he has it set at and he got it around the same time I did.

Best Performance Mod: So far I have to give it to the IPV5. I am thinking it must be the ramp up in the Yihi chip but there doesn't seem to be any lag between hitting the fire button and producing clouds. This was the most noticeable with the Crown using a .25 ohm coil, short hits produced noticeably more vapor at the same watts compared to the RX200. It also helped to keep the tank cooler as well to take shorter hits. I have even taken the Crown up to 100 watts on the IPV5 and it worked like a champ. Now I have a hard time using the Crown on any of my other mods as it and the IPV5 just work so well together. I can't say that level of performance difference is real evident with my TFV4 or Stentorian Steam Engine but I have only had the IPV5 for about 4 days and still need to try it with the rest of my tanks.

Best Build Quality: I would give the edge to the IPV5 here over the VF Stout. The main reasons would be the buttons, battery door and screen. The battery door is easy to remove but stays on securely, does not rattle at all. The buttons look and feel nice and have a solid click to them, not a huge difference between the Stout and RX200, just a little better. The screen is the best of the mods I have, bright, easy to read and with it being recessed there are no fingerprints to rub off.

If I had to pick only 1 mod to keep it would be a tough choice between the IPV5 and VF Stout. The performance and build quality of the IPV5 makes me want to pick it. The looks of the Stout make me go gaga, also the fact that if I have trouble in the future I can rely on the mfg to give me good service over the IPV5 which I would have to rely on my vendor. I would probably have to flip a coin but I would be really happy with either one, all my other mods would not be missed as much as these 2.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the IPV5, VF Stout (both silver) RX200, VTC Mini (both black) from the list above. I have a few other mods and the only one that I might add is the Encom TNT 80 which has been my road dog mod for about 4 months.

Like @Deucesjack mentioned I got my Stout from http://www.shop12south.com/collecti...roducts/vapor-flask-stout-100w-low-price-sale as well. The price and customer service from Matt was excellent, a go to vendor for sure.

Best looking mod: Silver Vapor Flask Stout. The brushed finish is just a beauty, if they offered this finish with the RX200 even at a premium price I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. I know looks are subjective but for me the Silver IPV5 is real nice, wasn't even interested in the other colors, I think the other colors are ugly as well. The Silver IPV5 is a mod you have to see in person to appreciate.

0DOQnUIItgqNZs9nNskyDkeBbXZre02uW9MOQ1da7RNwSBsIwTC9cC15qQPiaOaTJ-57op5TrfWs_MHa2xO30Zc6w5q__XV8j4dW5xWS9aRIJa3n8InRrDkgmJn7LquDrfuLgIlNRsQq8-67P16XpWWSWQGE8rcjuuL1gmVjCfs5ITXnJpqu7flckGBwxOuVH7dbOsWuNij00DIqd4MnkfYkBqHa9dfpqBSxrVQiuui5OaTJSCE57GfgFp1cwOCVOfUOx0kX6AdwPIZpr1zWyfgchSgYkZpHR0wnuAhn4vXphrJE59HKzJgr4UAtCBRIEmAij0zoFGztoFpeRKFACCkN17JLGablvuTqz8HdI00fzTBJIOOpEQK5unNQ2gPXEHwF8H-FucVATOFQUr8pqGD5yiE5uQMNynqL8BV-W6eKmj2rxGJyDM5_sffJYCujWxz62rk0LLE-4c6qszUvdrHQsNEzfjAdlkBRpY1FDhYvsKDiFEfwHxkg8S84Ed3jo0BcGTCIocWua1manhLpTA0RkiiT_SkHKfnoSSpcSatbwLUP7drJCubypQr5CU02O9YD=w412-h731-no

Best Value for Performance Mod: Wismec Reuleaux RX200 200W. Really can't go wrong with this mod. I wish the build quality was a little better, I had a Reuleaux DNA200 I sold to a friend and that was put together more nicely. I wish they offered a finish for the RX200 like the DNA200 as well, the black and white/teal versions pale in comparison IMO.

Best pocket friendly: Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini 75W. Not much more to add then what has already been said about this fine little mod, all around great small mod.

Best road mod: Encom TNT 80 26650. If I am going to be on the road all day then this is what comes with me either with the OBS T-VCT or Kanger STP with Atom gClapton coil. The combo of this mod with the tanks listed gives me all day performance without having to bring a spare battery or bottle of juice. The TNT 80 can be had for around $35 to $40 when it is on sale and it is built like a brick so hitting the ground has never worried me. Fits well in my back pocket but is a little heavy. So far for the 4 months I have had it with nearly everyday use it has been solid. I have to warn that I have heard of some people having problems with there's though including a friend. My friends TNT 80 now fires the same at whatever watts he has it set at and he got it around the same time I did.

Best Performance Mod: So far I have to give it to the IPV5. I am thinking it must be the ramp up in the Yihi chip but there doesn't seem to be any lag between hitting the fire button and producing clouds. This was the most noticeable with the Crown using a .25 ohm coil, short hits produced noticeably more vapor at the same watts compared to the RX200. It also helped to keep the tank cooler as well to take shorter hits. I have even taken the Crown up to 100 watts on the IPV5 and it worked like a champ. Now I have a hard time using the Crown on any of my other mods as it and the IPV5 just work so well together. I can't say that level of performance difference is real evident with my TFV4 or Stentorian Steam Engine but I have only had the IPV5 for about 4 days and still need to try it with the rest of my tanks.

Best Build Quality: I would give the edge to the IPV5 here over the VF Stout. The main reasons would be the buttons, battery door and screen. The battery door is easy to remove but stays on securely, does not rattle at all. The buttons look and feel nice and have a solid click to them, not a huge difference between the Stout and RX200, just a little better. The screen is the best of the mods I have, bright, easy to read and with it being recessed there are no fingerprints to rub off.

If I had to pick only 1 mod to keep it would be a tough choice between the IPV5 and VF Stout. The performance and build quality of the IPV5 makes me want to pick it. The looks of the Stout make me go gaga, also the fact that if I have trouble in the future I can rely on the mfg to give me good service over the IPV5 which I would have to rely on my vendor. I would probably have to flip a coin but I would be really happy with either one, all my other mods would not be missed as much as these 2.
Wow, well said! I have all the mods you mentioned except for the flask. I have been drooling over one and am about to push the button and pick one up from 12south!

I have to agree with you on the ipv5, I got my first one in silver and absolutely love it! Don't get me wrong, my kbox 120 and 200, rx's and cuboids are all great mods, but the IPV5 is put together so damn well! I second the fit/finish and functionality points you have above. I have been running my arctic v8 with the octuple coil on it, loving every vape at 95w, whereas I normally run 100-105w on cuboid and rx. After reading your post I broke out a fresh .25 for my crown and a clapton for my steam-engine, gonna let them soak for a bit and then give them a vape off! :)

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, well said! I have all the mods you mentioned except for the flask. I have been drooling over one and am about to push the button and pick one up from 12south!

I have to agree with you on the ipv5, I got my first one in silver and absolutely love it! Don't get me wrong, my kbox 120 and 200, rx's and cuboids are all great mods, but the IPV5 is put together so damn well! I second the fit/finish and functionality points you have above. I have been running my arctic v8 with the octuple coil on it, loving every vape at 95w, whereas I normally run 100-105w on cuboid and rx. After reading your post I broke out a fresh .25 for my crown and a clapton for my steam-engine, gonna let them soak for a bit and then give them a vape off! :)

A buddy of mine has the black Stout and it is nice but when I opened the box on the Silver I kept my box for the black sealed and will probably sell it. The brushed finish on the Silver Stout is just stunning and I am surprised they don't sell it at a premium over the black. Maybe if the black was more of a brushed finish then that would be nice, it is just a matte black like the RX200 and VTC Mini.

Let me know how it goes with the Crown and Steam Engine tanks on the IPV5. Like an idiot I had my Crown with the .25 ohm coil on the RX200 and forgot I was out of juice and hit it a few times. The first time I have burnt the cotton on a Crown coil in power mode but I was working and not paying attention. Just popped in a fresh .50 ohm coil into the Crown to shake things up a bit and see if I can notice any differences with it on the IPV5 vs RX200 or Stout.

Probably best if we PM each other from here on out so we don't hijack this thread unless it is vape performance between the mods.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Very useful and informative, thanks a lot for sharing

A buddy of mine has the black Stout and it is nice but when I opened the box on the Silver I kept my box for the black sealed and will probably sell it. The brushed finish on the Silver Stout is just stunning and I am surprised they don't sell it at a premium over the black. Maybe if the black was more of a brushed finish then that would be nice, it is just a matte black like the RX200 and VTC Mini.

Let me know how it goes with the Crown and Steam Engine tanks on the IPV5. Like an idiot I had my Crown with the .25 ohm coil on the RX200 and forgot I was out of juice and hit it a few times. The first time I have burnt the cotton on a Crown coil in power mode but I was working and not paying attention. Just popped in a fresh .50 ohm coil into the Crown to shake things up a bit and see if I can notice any differences with it on the IPV5 vs RX200 or Stout.

Probably best if we PM each other from here on out so we don't hijack this thread unless it is vape performance between the mods.
If it's OK with the op, please do not start pm'ing each other, as we're getting some invaluable information here. I'm torn between the VF Stout and the IPV5. Been wanting a sx330 device but I'm leaning towards the Stout purely because the IPV5 is huge! I'll get the SX Mini 450 Q later on anyway.

Question, is there a delay in the ramp up of the Stout? I'm used to my Reuleaux DNA 200 ramping up instantly. I burnt my fingers with a pocketable Mod, the Smok Micro R80 which even with the ramp up setting on max, took like 1.5 to 2 sec to reach the desired temp of 250 with the 0.25 ss coils. Not for me and I sold the pos within 2 days. The micro TFV4 ss coils had a horrible spit back as well, although I did like the tank otherwise. The VF Stout is in my cart for $75 and I'll hit the checkout button if the ramp up is nice and responsive.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm torn between the VF Stout and the IPV5.
Of the two: I'm leaning toward the IPV5. I liked the Stout until it was pointed out to me the expanse of shiny black plastic on the very surface which has the buttons, all along the one edge. I simply don't care for the aesthetics of that. I've also read that the 26650s don't perform as well as a pair of 18650s under load or in runtime.

... but I'm leaning towards the Stout purely because the IPV5 is huge!
Really? Didn't look that way from one of the hand checks I saw, earlier. I guess I'd have to see them side-by-side.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Of the two: I'm leaning toward the IPV5. I liked the Stout until it was pointed out to me the expanse of shiny black plastic on the very surface which has the buttons, all along the one edge. I simply don't care for the aesthetics of that. I've also read that the 26650s don't perform as well as a pair of 18650s under load or in runtime.

Really? Didn't look that way from one of the hand checks I saw, earlier. I guess I'd have to see them side-by-side.
The specs are nice on the IPV5 but man is that one ugly mod. IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the IPV3 is one of the best mods ever produced. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I'm a big fan. I have the cuboid and it does not rattle. The front screen though cannot be cleaned, lol. You are correct there.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I don't know as I'd go so far as to say "ugly," but, yeah: I wouldn't call it "attractive," either. I like the simple elegance of my eVic-VTC Mini. Clean lines. No unnecessary embellishment. I'd love to see a dual-18650 mod that was essentially identical to it. That's what I was hoping Joyetech would do. Instead they produced the Cuboid
puking-01.gif

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know as I'd go so far as to say "ugly," but, yeah: I wouldn't call it "attractive," either. I like the simple elegance of my eVic-VTC Mini. Clean lines. No unnecessary embellishment. I'd love to see a dual-18650 mod that was essentially identical to it. That's what I was hoping Joyetech would do. Instead they produced the Cuboid
puking-01.gif
In the current situation a thought keeps coming to mind on a daily basis, 3D printing my own mod to my liking and placing a DNA200 chip inside with a decent 510 and a high quality firing button!

I know exactly what you're saying. I'm sure the ipv5 performs marginally better but looking at these figures it seems rather large. Maybe that dude has huge hands J.

Ipv5 Product size (L x W x H): 2.500 x 6.000 x 10.200 cm / 0.984 x 2.362 x 4.016 inches

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ipv5 Product size (L x W x H): 2.500 x 6.000 x 10.200 cm / 0.984 x 2.362 x 4.016 inches
Vaporflask Stout size: 46.5*30.0*85.3mm (I'm guess the 3cm is at its thickest). So 1-1/2cm, or a bit more than 1/2", wider and taller than the Stout. Comparing it to my Mini: Yeah: Quite a bit bigger.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the more we discuss this the more confusing it gets, looks like the perfect mod does not exist, the eVic VTC Mini was one of a kind, did not happen again this time around, a recipe for new mod purchasers looks to be something like this:

1- Lower your expectations, LIKE A LOT
2- Get the best deal you can, BUY CHEAP
3- Don't plan for it to last more than few months
4- do not expect the first sample to be IT, try a few different samples or if possible inspect before purchasing
5- Check the warranty and return terms and conditions of the place you are buying from
6- go with what your heart desires, don't expect durability, go with looks and cuteness :)
7- Disregard that shitty market totally, build your own mod if possible.

:D

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's OK with the op, please do not start pm'ing each other, as we're getting some invaluable information here. I'm torn between the VF Stout and the IPV5. Been wanting a sx330 device but I'm leaning towards the Stout purely because the IPV5 is huge! I'll get the SX Mini 450 Q later on anyway.

Question, is there a delay in the ramp up of the Stout? I'm used to my Reuleaux DNA 200 ramping up instantly. I burnt my fingers with a pocketable Mod, the Smok Micro R80 which even with the ramp up setting on max, took like 1.5 to 2 sec to reach the desired temp of 250 with the 0.25 ss coils. Not for me and I sold the pos within 2 days. The micro TFV4 ss coils had a horrible spit back as well, although I did like the tank otherwise. The VF Stout is in my cart for $75 and I'll hit the checkout button if the ramp up is nice and responsive.

I was mainly talking about PM each other in regards to tanks to not throw this mod thread off track. If it has to do with how tanks perform with these various mods then it should be posted here.

I was out all day with the Stout and my OBS with .44 ohm SS coil in it. Had it set at 450 degrees as I just felt like a cool vape and 42 watts as I wanted a quick ramp up. This worked out great for me today aside from the fact that I had left it in the car and didn't get back for 5 hours, talk about nic withdrawal.

I just popped on the Crown with the .50 coil onto the IPV5 and then the Stout, both in power mode at 40 watts. This time I didn't notice much of a difference except that the vape seemed a little hotter with the Stout compared to the IPV5. I prefer a cooler vape so I like it with the IPV5 better but I can't say there was a noticeable difference this time with the ramp up. When it was noticeable was with the .25 ohm coil in the Crown at higher wattages in the 60 to 70 range, then it felt like the IPV5 ramped up a little faster.

If your going to get the SX Mini 450 Q then the Stout is probably the better choice, I don't think you will regret it a bit. I really love the size and it is so comfortable in the hand.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I really wish the shiny black plastic screen cover was smaller as well on the Stout, this is the one spot they could have did much better IMO. If they would have did a recessed screen like the IPV5 and kept the rest SS it would have been a lot more attractive. Even with that though the brushed SS finish if a beauty.

The Stout is a lot more comfortable and lighter in the hand, the IPV5 weighs 302.5 grams with batteries, the Stout 252.3 grams with battery. The IPV5 is more of a home mod for me, the Stout at home or on the road.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It is basically a 2 battery IPV D3 so if you don't like that mod then you probably won't like the IPV5. I could have lived without the crescents on either side near the bottom but aside from that the build quality, buttons, screen and performance have really won me over. I was worried about the looks from the pics I saw online but in person I was pleasantly relieved when I opened the box. The Matte Silver finish is really nice IMO compared to the other colors and I was getting tired of black mods. I wish they would have come out with a gun metal grey, I would have been all over that.

Last edited:

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I really wish the shiny black plastic screen cover was smaller as well on the Stout, this is the one spot they could have did much better IMO.
Exactly. I don't know what it is with these big expanses of shiny, translucent black plastic on many of the current crop of mods. The stuff is marginal even for display bezels, as evidenced by the fact that the manufacturers are protecting them with sometimes two layers of screen-protector-type material, much less a surface with which to surround operating controls.

The IPV5 is more of a home mod for me, the Stout at home or on the road.
That's not really an issue, for me, as I have my eVic-VTC Mini for an on-the-road mod.

... the build quality, buttons, screen and performance have really won me over.
Nobody wants ugly hardware, but these are really the most important aspects, IMO.

I was worried about the looks from the pics I saw online but in person I was pleasantly relieved when I opened the box.
TBH: The more I look at pictures of that mod, the less unattractive it becomes. Maybe I'm just talking myself into it :p

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone thinks the 7V output limit on the IPV5 will be a problem for high Ohm builds limiting the Wattage output, same as how the 25A limit on other mods is limiting their wattage output for low builds, or is this mod just intended to be a sub-ohm only mod?

On another note, saw an iStick TC 100w Review which appears to be an absolutely wonderful hidden gem, looks like this will be my next mod purchase, wins on every ground.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Anyone thinks the 7V output limit on the IPV5 will be a problem for high Ohm builds limiting the Wattage output, same as how the 25A limit on other mods is limiting their wattage output for low builds, or is this mod just intended to be a sub-ohm only mod?

On another note, saw an iStick TC 100w Review which appears to be an absolutely wonderful hidden gem, looks like this will be my next mod purchase, wins on every ground.

Saw that video. Cool thing about that mod if I recall correctly is you can use 1 or 2 batteries.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Saw that video. Cool thing about that mod if I recall correctly is you can use 1 or 2 batteries.

One of the MANY and least cool thing about it is this one, it just looks like it was very well designed all round, everything is just right, the button seems to be one of the best, batteries setting firmly and tightly, size, looks, operation, screen, dedicated menu key, batteries can be charged via USB without the need for a balancer, looks very nice, finish is great, colors are awesome ... i just can't find any negatives, if they just raise its output to 150W that thing would be a killer.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My list isnt based around TC but for its usefulness for builders, its too early to fill in all the info of why and shit for each right now but Ill add it in later today..
Snow Wolf V1.5
Sigelie 150/200's
IPV3 LI VR
X Cube II
Hohm Wrecker G2 (Real Kanthal TC!>!<!)
RX200

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My list isnt based around TC but for its usefulness for builders, its too early to fill in all the info of why and shit for each right now but Ill add it in later today..
Snow Wolf V1.5
Sigelie 150/200's
IPV3 LI VR
X Cube II
Hohm Wrecker G2 (Real Kanthal TC!>!<!)
RX200
Amazing list, one of the best "builder's" mods around, i actually checked a few Hohm Wrecker G2 reviews today and it is absolutely awesome (deserves the title MADE IN THE USA), the Snow Wolf 200W as well is awesome and very neat

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Amazing list, one of the best "builder's" mods around, i actually checked a few Hohm Wrecker G2 reviews today and it is absolutely awesome (deserves the title MADE IN THE USA), the Snow Wolf 200W as well is awesome and very neat
It will atleast be something for people who need the least amount of limits on a mod a list of mods they can get without buying and testing for themselves, manufacturers dont seem to like listing the output limits of mods or their "recommended resistance output range" of devices, this makes devices fall short for people like me using them for builds in the .3 and under category...

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Anyone thinks the 7V output limit on the IPV5 will be a problem for high Ohm builds limiting the Wattage output, ...
7V at 2Ω would be 24.5W. I don't know about anybody else, but I've never run more than 14W on a 1.8Ω atomizer head. I certainly don't envision it being a problem for me, anyway.

VU Sponsors