Become a Patron!

microcoils vs spaced coils

So, Dr. F. said not to heat coils to red-hot. I realize a lot of people will ignore that, but I've always been sensitive to metals since I worked in a factory years ago and got overexposed to metals on my skin. I like to vape at 5.7 watts.

But I like replaceable heads. Been using Vivi Novas, I'm probably going to transition to Nautilus coils. And my policy is to soak dead heads in vodka, then dry and store for Deemsday. I got one of those new coil-builders that look like sticks, but if I try to wrap a coil it comes out as a spaced coil, not a microcoil. Will there be room in the heads for a spaced coil? What are the drawbacks to a spaced coil? Possible touching between adjacent loops but not others? Electrical problems if they're not perfect? Need more or fewer wraps for the same resistance? Is there a way to make microcoils w/o heating red hot? (Dr. F. suggested replacing dry-burning with an alcohol rub on the wire before building to remove machine oil.)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not familiar with Vivi Novas, nor Nautilus coils. You didn't mention, the device (battery) you are using. However, I'll try to answer your questions.
Will there be room in the heads? If not, you can try using one to two wrap(s) less. The resistance of the coil will be slightly lower though. So you need to know what coils (minimum Ohm/resistance) your device can support. It would be good to use an Ohm meter, in order to test your coil(s).
What are the drawbacks? I wrapped both type of coils, and I can't tell much difference in performance or flavor.
Possibly touching...? Not perfect...? Ideally, you want the same spacing between the wraps. However, it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as the coils starts glowing from the center out fairly equally, you're fine.
Need more or fewer wraps for the resistance? No, they should come out fairly close in their resistance.
Is there a way to make micro coils w/o heating...? Getting the coils to glow before squeezing them, helps taking out the springiness of the wire, aiding in getting the wraps to touch each other.

VU Sponsors