Become a Patron!

Mech Safety and Sleeping

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
Hi all, part time lurker on the forum. Basically making the post so I can gather my thoughts and see if I can strike a convo this early in the morning (early for where I am at least) and to have a story about why no matter how comfy you are with mechs, you should still practice Safety. Didn’t know what sub to post on so Mods can move a more getting area.

On to the main topic, Mech Safety.
This incident was entirely avoidable had I been more precatious.

Little over 30 minutes ago I woke up to a small ball of flame about 5inches from my face. I’m nearsighted but my vision without my contacts is pretty poor, but I knew what it was and what had happened as soon as I saw the flames. My nifty green Ion Mods squonk that had been on the shelf next to my bed,and above my face, had fallen onto the button while I was sleeping and autofired until half the mod melted and was on fire. I’m perfectly fine as I didn’t panic too much and quickly put out the flames by smothering the mod and the fan that had caught on fire with my pillows on my bed. The Modmaker 510 pieces and what was left of my recently purchased rda were still intact and rolled onto the floor where I stepped on it as I put the flames out. As I said before, all is fine save for the two pillows, my fan, and my squonk setup that I had been using to take small little poofs before I went to bed and when I randomly get up in the night. Had some of it not fallen close enought to my face, I’m scared to wonder how much larger the ball of fire could’ve gotten if I hadn’t woken up.

Now onto the extra info I wanted to put out there. I had a .28-.3ohm fused Clapton in the Phenom clone I recently bought here on top of my Ion Mods Green Squonk that I had gotten off of reddit as a freebie in a purchase, with a VTC5A battery. A safe build for the battery, but in a box with a small flaw.
The throw on the mod was so short and the button stuck out a bit which made it so easy to fire that I couldn’t pocket carry it, since it had fired so often the one time I carried it in my pants pocket. Knowing this I kept it as a stay at home mod.

Now I am not new to mechs or unfamiliar with mech Safety. I’ve used mechs for the better part of two years out of the three I’ve been vaping. I used to sleep next to a 30ml of my current juice and my SOI Shorty/Goon with confidence knowing it won’t autofire sitting on its own on my shelf. I’m assuming that logic just carried through to my Squonk Mods since sleeping with a mod within arms reach had become habit. If my dumbass had taken more precaution and used either a different mod, had bought a locking piece for the 510, or found a way to stiffen up the throw I wouldn’t have gone through this ordeal. I haven’t lost anything really in this incident and have more than enough back up Mods I can set up before work but I just wanted to show that there’s more consequences to mechs than having a battery blow in a tube mod. Something I myself hadn’t put much thought into until moments ago.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh shit man glad you're Ok. I think we all get complacent sometimes. Just comfortable ya know.

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
I feel that. Definitely has thrown my guard back up for a little while at leasts The throw on a mod is definitely gonna be added to my list of things to look for in a new mech squonker. Either have a stiffer press or a flush button. Going to run around with my Luna/B2K setup for now. Maybe even find a build I can vape with on my SOI shorty again.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel that. Definitely has thrown my guard back up for a little while at leasts The throw on a mod is definitely gonna be added to my list of things to look for in a new mech squonker. Either have a stiffer press or a flush button. Going to run around with my Luna/B2K setup for now. Maybe even find a build I can vape with on my SOI shorty again.
I've got an soi subzero I run dual 28x2/36n80 on it. Real nice vape

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
I’ll see what I can do. Might just try a dual 7-8wrap 22g n80 round wire build. I used the last of my wrap wire to make a few coils for my squonk set ups when the Haku clone came in. Kinda mad that I swapped it with one of my Entheon clones to put it on the mod that burned up. Was really enjoying the airflow on it, not as airy as the B2K and it was restricted enough about halfway closed.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think @jwill uses 22 guage all the time. He can probably give you a good idea

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
The 7-8 wraps is a good build. Have nothing to add.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It's why I always remove batteries from my mods and chargers when I go to sleep or leave the house.

DimSumDom

Member For 4 Years
don't vape and sleep. everything else screams "dumbass".
Definitely going to change my bedtime habits and look into upgrading the mods I already own as opposed to saving every penny I can for the new shiny thing that catches my eye. The contact was a bit finicky on the mod, but laziness shouldn’t lead to ignorance. First thing on my to do list is buying a locking piece for the 510 on my mods that have Mod Maker or Maddog 510s.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
golly... I just drop the DS-style into the duct-tape, 5-click the dna and toss it on the sofa, and stagger off to bed.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi all, part time lurker on the forum. Basically making the post so I can gather my thoughts and see if I can strike a convo this early in the morning (early for where I am at least) and to have a story about why no matter how comfy you are with mechs, you should still practice Safety. Didn’t know what sub to post on so Mods can move a more getting area.

Little over 30 minutes ago I woke up to a small ball of flame about 5inches from my face. I’m nearsighted but my vision without my contacts is pretty poor, but I knew what it was and what had happened as soon as I saw the flames. My nifty green Ion Mods squonk that had been on the shelf next to my bed,and above my face, had fallen onto the button while I was sleeping and autofired until half the mod melted and was on fire. I’m perfectly fine as I didn’t panic too much and quickly put out the flames by smothering the mod and the fan that had caught on fire with my pillows on my bed. The Modmaker 510 pieces and what was left of my recently purchased rda were still intact and rolled onto the floor where I stepped on it as I put the flames out. As I said before, all is fine save for the two pillows, my fan, and my squonk setup that I had been using to take small little poofs before I went to bed and when I randomly get up in the night. Had some of it not fallen close enought to my face, I’m scared to wonder how much larger the ball of fire could’ve gotten if I hadn’t woken up.

Now onto the extra info I wanted to put out there. I had a .28-.3ohm fused Clapton in the Phenom clone I recently bought here on top of my Ion Mods Green Squonk that I had gotten off of reddit as a freebie in a purchase, with a VTC5A battery. A safe build for the battery, but in a box with a small flaw.
The throw on the mod was so short and the button stuck out a bit which made it so easy to fire that I couldn’t pocket carry it, since it had fired so often the one time I carried it in my pants pocket. Knowing this I kept it as a stay at home mod.

Now I am not new to mechs or unfamiliar with mech Safety. I’ve used mechs for the better part of two years out of the three I’ve been vaping. I used to sleep next to a 30ml of my current juice and my SOI Shorty/Goon with confidence knowing it won’t autofire sitting on its own on my shelf. I’m assuming that logic just carried through to my Squonk Mods since sleeping with a mod within arms reach had become habit. If my dumbass had taken more precaution and used either a different mod, had bought a locking piece for the 510, or found a way to stiffen up the throw I wouldn’t have gone through this ordeal. I haven’t lost anything really in this incident and have more than enough back up Mods I can set up before work but I just wanted to show that there’s more consequences to mechs than having a battery blow in a tube mod. Something I myself hadn’t put much thought into until moments ago.

One of my cats knocked a Little Orca off my nightstand and the fall knocked the door off

Woke up to serious sizzling noise - the contact with the metal on the vent almost made the thing vent, it melted the skin off the top near the insulator for sure

Might be a different story if I hadn't woke up in time

fidola13

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks for sharing this story and really glad this didn’t end tragically for you.

VU Sponsors